SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might be looking at it in the wrong order. Pacman is the first chronologically, then the rest of the bottom row, then the second row up, etc.

Oh! I guess that makes more sense.

As for who's last, I think Lucina, Robin, or Greninja.

Edited by Carter

That same video actually got reuploaded a few hours ago, except Ganon's not there anymore.

http://youtu.be/9a8Kz0wcJwk?t=56s

Nintendo is well aware of their mistakes. The original video is now unlisted and can still be accessed.

For those who care: A bunch of Smash players will be streaming Smash 4 as soon as it launches.

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2f65cp/reminder_japanese_3ds_streamer_list_important/

Edit: it seems that Nintendo has removed Ganondorf from the Smash 4 trailer.

I saw one of the unannounced characters that I didn't want to return from the newest Jap video, but that character is removed from the video by now. Another mistake Nintendo made.
I haven't announced, or said anything about it, because enough of the game has been spoiled already. -.-
Edited by PuffPuff

XIXuZr.jpg

Have a look at some Pokemon that are from Pokeballs. Genesect isn't playable after all. At least he's an asset. :3

Edited by PuffPuff

Did we ever see All-Star mode in the ESRB leak? And if so, did it have the locked symbol next to it like in today's picture?

yes and it's the exact same UI that Sakurai posted just offscreened. Just doesn't have the high score.

JGMA0Hq.png

Edited by kingddd

yes and it's the exact same UI that Sakurai posted just offscreened. Just doesn't have the high score.

JGMA0Hq.png

Oh, thanks for letting me know. This might be too soon, but does anyone think this confirms that the leaked roster might not be all the characters? Edited by Spiky

Don't know if that's new or not, but there are also some Assist Trophies on the website.

Dr. Kawashima is somehow disturbing. That's an uncanny-valley-level of creepyness.

entry6-11.jpg

I don't want the leaked CSS to be the final roster, mostly because more characters are always better. And because there are a bunch of great characters like Mewtwo, Dixie, and Ridley on that second list leak. However, I have to agree with Alertcircuit.

And I like that All-Star Mode is going by the age of the characters rather than the age of their franchise. It will give a more accurate view of the history of the cast.

Since we can be pretty much 100% certain Sakurai is aware of the leak, the new pic either means:

1. Sakurai wants to prove to us that the leaked CSS isn't the full roster (basically saying that even though there was a picture inside All-Star mode among the leaked screenshots there still might be more characters)

2. Sakurai wants us to believe that the leaked CSS screen isn't the final roster even though it actually is.

I bet on the former assuming the same leaker posted both the CSS and the All-Star image, meaning more characters are to come.

As for Riki being so good in battle, there is one story I heard about that (I think it was in Chuggaaconroy's LP of Xenoblade): Riki originally had the lowest HP of any party member, however one day one of the developers decided to greatly increase it to more than anyone else as a joke in one of the incomplete builds of the game before sending that build off to the testers. The testers loved the boosted-up Riki so much that he had the highest HP of all the party members in all of the following builds, including the complete version of the game. That's why Riki is such a good tank.

Ah, interesting noting this. At first I couldn't think on Riki on a certain Archetype due to average stats, but seeing his high HP and gimmicky use makes him different than Reyn (similar HP).

Regarding the Pic of the Day and details on All-Star Mode, it gladdens me seeing how history/recency are taken into account along with time range in years; but above all, seeing it being flexible in terms of the roster is much better: it eliminates any speculation pulling up the idea that "characters that appeared between X and Y characters (or between these years) are not in, so they were cut (veterans) or not included into the roster (newcomers)". The only thing I can think of is that:

1) New characters are to be added to make up the official roster and, thus, fully unlock All-Star Mode

2) DLC characters are a thing

So the horizon is more promising than dark for the inclusion of more characters.

Edited by Quintessence

Getting any additional characters beyond what we've seen in the leak is looking pretty unlikely. From the demo, Japanese eShop, and leaked character select screens, we can confidently determine that SSB4 uses the same sliding unlock mechanic as Brawl, where characters are always in the right order, just with unlockables missing in between. When new characters are unlocked, all the characters after them are shifted right to make room. Characters at the ends of rows pop down to the front of the next row when a new character is added before them.

For example, say the final roster is shown below, in a 2 x 2 CSS, where Luigi and Peach are unlockable.

[Mario] [Luigi]

[Peach] [bowser]

The starting roster would then be [Mario] [bowser] in that order. If Peach is unlocked first, then Bowser shifts right to make room for her, however since the row ends he hops to the front of row 2 and Peach fits after Mario. Then Luigi is unlocked, which would make Bowser slide right to his final spot and would allow Peach to hop down to take his place at the front of row 2, freeing up the spot after Mario for Luigi. If Luigi is unlocked first, then Bowser moves to row 2 to make room for Luigi, then moves right to make room for Peach. Either way, the characters are always in the proper order.

With this mechanic in mind, it seems very unlikely that the CSS would be so perfectly organized if the roster is incomplete. If Brawl's roster is missing even one character, then the whole thing gets scrambled by sliding characters into columns and even rows in which they don't belong. The only characters which can be added to SSB4 while not screwing up the CSS organization are Pokemon reps, Star Fox reps, characters from unrepresented series, or clones, and only in very specific combinations. Here are the possibilities I came up with:

1) one character from a so-far unrepresented series

2) one clone from any series

3) two characters from Star Fox/Pokemon and 2-3 characters from different unrepresented series

4) two characters from Star Fox/Pokemon, two characters from different unrepresented series, and one clone

5) 4-5 characters from different unrepresented series

6) 1-3 characters from different unrepresented series to sit by Shulk (very unlikely)

7) one clone and 1-4 characters from different unrepresented series to sit by Shulk (VERY unlikely)

That said, I'm loving the leaked roster we have. We're getting way more characters than I expected originally, and WAY more newcomers. Should be a great game.

Edited by Ragnell

Uh, Ragnell, if you hadn't seen, someone posted a test image awhile back that included the characters from the leaked "second list" and it ended up in a perfect rectangular shape.

Uh, Ragnell, if you hadn't seen, someone posted a test image awhile back that included the characters from the leaked "second list" and it ended up in a perfect rectangular shape.

It could be an indicator of something, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything specific. It could be possible Sakurai couldn't figure out how to make it into a rectangular shape without making the boxes look weird so he just settled for that descending pyramid thing.

Has anyone else considered my idea that the leaked roster is what we'll see in the base game, but that more characters will be added later? It would fit with Ragnell's above explanation (since they would want the CSS in the base game to look nice) and explain any other issues people have with the design and missing characters.

By the way, Ragnell, I could swear I saw that exact post at Smashboards, and your other text drop a few pages back also felt like a copy/paste from somewhere else. Not saying that's a problem, but are you writing things up and posting them on multiple forums?

Yeah, and I don't think we have to worry about the prices either (if there are any), because Sakurai doesn't come off as some greedy hardass.

Edited by Anacybele

Has anyone else considered my idea that the leaked roster is what we'll see in the base game, but that more characters will be added later? It would fit with Ragnell's above explanation (since they would want the CSS in the base game to look nice) and explain any other issues people have with the design and missing characters.

By the way, Ragnell, I could swear I saw that exact post at Smashboards, and your other text drop a few pages back also felt like a copy/paste from somewhere else. Not saying that's a problem, but are you writing things up and posting them on multiple forums?

Haha, yeah, I post on Smashboards under the name Evello as well. I didn't copy/paste, though. Just similar ideas, since the discussion is very similar.

@Anacybelene: could you give me a page number or something? Because I am virtually positive it could not work without reordering the characters.

Edited by Ragnell