0% Growths TRS

BBM

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I beat C3

still mostly standard fare although I got some unlucky misses which forced some resets. Narron got to level 10 and promoted on the last turn. He didn't get that much EXP this map because the bulk of the enemies come at you in one pack and you pretty much have to kill most, if not all, of them in one EP + PP. He should make up for it in plenty next chapter though, since he's basically hax now (for the moment, anyways)

you sure do have to wonder what they were thinking about when they made the gold knight class

Given that Narron is described as a potential late bloomer, he might have been designed to have the Gold Knight as his sole feature.

Maybe they only added Elite as a quick fix because they figured that that alone doesn't cut it.

Maybe they really like shota boys who look more like that guy from Suikoden whose sole purpose is to say "Welcome to the castle!" rather than old men (Lee), improper religious reference dude (Ezekiel), or uh....shota hunter (see, being an unpromoted land bow gives him INSTANT HATE status).

• 1 year later...

So BUMP I'm going to restart this some time in the next few weeks (it should probably be moved to the LP section btw). This run fizzled out last time because I got busy with school and then my hard drive crashed right around my Christmas break. Then I was going to start it up again in the summer but Lich posting his 0% LTC thread made me think there was no point. However he never really followed up so we're back here!

A question to all my faithful followers- would you prefer it to be text-only, screenshot + text, or video? When I did the first few chapters the last time, it was text-only but looking back at it, it seemed pretty lacking and not very interesting. I normally prefer screenshot/text LPs, but I feel like most of the fun there is in looking at level-ups and funny animation stuff, neither of which will be the case here because 0% growths and because since there's no fast-forward option on PSXFin I'm going to have animations off. I also don't want to make fun of the translation because I feel that disregards the fact that the translator was the only person willing to do it, after the project had stalled for years. The problem with a video LP is that it would be a lot more time investment, in terms of editing the video and providing commentary (though Elie said he'd help with that), and I'm really lazy and also pretty busy. Also, the couple people I asked, seemed more enthusiastic about screenshots (although they also said I should just do what I want; thanks for all the help).

So here is CHAPTER 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_snT_vOktM

New Characters:

Runan_zpsrlzdfjtp.png

Runan, our lord but not our saviour. He's a typical sword lord, complete with Rapier. As you might expect, he's not too good with 0% growths. He'll require careful protection for seize maps.

Kreiss_zps3svuywxp.png

Kreiss, the red purple cavalier. He has the base weapon level to use Hand Spears, and that's about all he's useful for. He has no starting skills either.

Arkis_zpsfnhrsrhy.png

Arkis, the green cavalier. He doesn't have the base weapon level to use Hand Spears, so he's pretty chump. Also no starting skills. Despite having horses, both he and Kreiss will be benched before too long most likely.

Garo_zpstuiurxrq.png

Garo, the pirate. His SPD, while good for his class, is not actually as good as you might think, because AS in this game works similar to FE4, there's nothing to offset the weight of the weapon he has equipped. His real problems however are his 4 movement and his 4 SKL. Hit rates in this game suck, and Garo has atrocious SKL while using the most inaccurate weapon type. For skills he has Continue, also known as Adept, and Sea Fighter.

Kate_zps2ehcri9t.png

She can use swords and bows, which is nice, and she has TWO starting skills (Continue and City Fighter), and also gains a mount after promotion. Unfortunately she has only 4 movement before promotion and her stats are as mediocre as the cavaliers so she'll get benched soon too.

Sasha_zpspfynlxwq.png

Sasha's base stats are... really really bad. On regular playthroughs she has the chance to promote to a flying unit, so she eventually becomes worth the initial investment, but not in 0% growths. She has Charisma but it's not enough.

New Skills:

City Fighter ts-city-fighter.gif: On City maps, raises accuracy and evade by 10% and movement by 1.

Continue ts-continue.gif: Upon activation, the user will attack a second time. Its rate of activation is (Speed)%.

Sea Fighter ts-sea-fighter.gif: On Sea maps, raises accuracy and evade by 10% and movement by 1.

Charisma ts-charisma.gif: All allies within a 3-square radius have 10% higher accuracy and evade.

Note: updated the spoilers to include Garo's skillz

Edited by BBM

Verje Map Choice 1

This doesn't get its own video because it's not a real chapter.

Verje%20Choice%201_zpssxmukf0g.png

So this is what I meant when I said that not all characters are recruitable, this is what I meant. In this map choice, we get presented with four different units, and we are told that we can recruit only one of them. In Verje Map Choice 2, we see the three characters we didn't pick again, and also see a fifth unit who isn't present here, and get to pick another unit. The three remaining units there, however, are permanently gone. So, let's look at our choices one by one, from right to left because I'm hipster.

Ruka_zpsjfdg7pe2.png

Ruka is really really bad. At least Sasha can say that she's an Est unit that is decent in regular playthroughs; Ruka just sucks everywhere, all the time. Not only do his stats blow, he's locked to bows and therefore 2-range. He doesn't have any skills either. The only thing of worth he can do is participate in an event far later in the game, where he dies, and in doing so, allows a unit we will get in a few chapters to bypass a restriction she has. That's right, he's so bad that the most useful thing he can do is die.

Narron_zpsmpgmblll.png

Conversely, Narron is really really good. On a regular playthrough, it's not an exaggeration to say he completely dominates almost the entire game. In a 0% growths run, this is unfortunately not the case, but he's still very good. His claim to fame is that despite being the same class as Kreiss and Arkis (since this map is indoors he's been forced to dismount and has therefore lost lances and some stats), while they promote into the ho-hum Commando Knight class, he promotes into the amazing Gold Knight class. Not only does the Gold Knight class have some of the best bases in the game, it has three good skills as well (more on how skills are learnt in Chapter 2 btw). Additionally, he has the Elite skill (aka Paragon), which causes him to grow insanely fast.

Ezekiel_zpshmdnyot6.png

Ezekiel is pretty bleh, though better than Ruka. He's an axe user, with all the problems that entails. While he has one more movement than Garo and a couple more points of skill too, his speed is several points lower, so he struggles to double anything while carrying axes. He does promote into Sergeant, which is a pretty good class, but he'll never get there. In addition to City Fighter, he has Blazing Wind. Ezekiel also has the dubious honour of being part of what may be the most complicated recruitment ever. It spans tens of chapters, requires several unintuitive things to be done by the player, and requires Kreiss to be strong enough to kill a tough boss by himself. It will never happen on 0% growths, so that character will also not be recruited.

Lee_zpskywvwzwr.png

Lee is a pretty good unit. He has only 5 movement, but very good Magic and Speed stats. You might have seen from our units so far that most physical units have non-existent Magic. This allows Lee to ORKO a majority of enemies for quite a while. He is also part of an event in Chapter 2 that allows the player to get the Defence Staff. This increases the defence of a unit by 10 for one turn, and comes in very handy. He can also use staves- as you can see, he's got both Heal and Physic staves in his starting inventory. However, he has no skills (and is the only playable character in the game with no ability to naturally learn skills in the future either)

I ended up going with NARRON. I think Lee would be a really interesting pick. I definitely think he's underrated by most people because he's not as good as Narron and not as good as the unit that becomes available at the second Verje choice either (and plus by that point you've lost the opportunity to get the Defence Staff). All that being said, Narron is just too good.

New Skills:

Elite ts-elite.gif: Doubles all EXP gain.

Blazing Wind ts-blazing-wind.gif: Upon activation, the enemy instantly dies. Its rate of activation is (User Skill - Enemy Skill)%, with a minimum of 3%. However, it can only activate at 1-range and only against enemies with under half HP.

bbm i thought blazing wind can only activate if the enemy has low enough HP such that a critical hit from the unit initiating the skill can can kill them.

is that it? I just knew there was some HP constraint and I guess I've never had Narron attack an enemy who had under half HP and whom he couldn't kill with a crit.

Also rest assured I haven't abandoned this run THAT fast; I've just had to entertain people for the last two weeks at home. You guys might see a new video on Tuesday though.

Chapter 2 yeah whoo

really sorry about how long the video is!

New Characters

So I forgot to take screenshots during the map itself of the units, so this is at the end of the map. It's therefore not entirely accurate as to the starting levels and inventory of each unit, but it doesn't matter too much. If you really must know, you can check out SF's info.

Raffin_zpse9yohr3n.png

THE MAN

Raffin is pretty awesome. He has decent base stats, being the Jeigan of the game, except he's a boss so not too far into the game, he gets to promote again, into a DRAGON KNIGHT. One of the best characters, definitely. He also starts off with Re-Move, aka Canto. Not too much to say about him really, but he's awesome.

Esther_zpssemwqygq.png

Esther is the "balanced" cavalier. Unfortunately for her she has the worst base stats. She learns some nifty skills later on, but yeah she's never getting there because she'll be benched. She does start off with City Fighter though.

Julia_zpsmnoiyimm.png

Julia is okay, but her low strength really hurts her in 0% growths. Her good speed and the fact that she has a decent weapon level in swords aren't enough, especially because we get two more Myrmidons and a Swordmaster later on, who're all better. No starting skills, although she learns Continue at a low enough level that I could potentially get her there if I really wanted to (I don't).

Enteh_zpszsk6p6oh.png

Enteh! A seemingly regular early-game Cleric, except unlike most of them she's plot-important, and mandatory in most of Runan's maps from here on. There isn't really much to say about her actual map performance, other than that 4 MOV, 15 HP, and 1 DEF are all really bad on a forced character. No starting skills.

Bartz_zpsclhiezri.png

Barts is fairly decent in the short term. He's got slightly lower STR and SPD stats than Garo, but 1 more MOV, and just as importantly, 2 more SKL. He'll fall off and we'll get a better version of him in a while, but he's good for a bit. He gets Mountain Fighter at base, which boosts his capabilities in Mountain type maps. I incorrectly state that Map 2 is Plains- it's actually Mountain, which makes him look somewhat better in his opening sequence than he really is.

Plum_zpsohjm4z6d.png

Plum's stats are pretty terrible in almost every way, but it's ok, because she'll be able to DANCE later on in the game. No starting skills for her.

New Skills

Re-Move ts-re-move.gif: Allows the unit to use leftover movement and complete a non-combat action after completing an attacking,

Mountain Fighter ts-mountain-fighter.gif: On Mountain maps, raises accuracy and evade by 10% and movement by 1.

uhhh I didn't actually watch the full Youtube version, so I didn't realize how shaky the video is- that's Youtube's auto-stabilize effect, which did pretty much the opposite of stabilizing it. Whoops. I'll make sure not to enable that for the next chapters.

• 2 weeks later...

first sped up chapter because man giving commentary for 15-20 minutes takes 3 hours

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amnusi7nVUg&feature=youtu.be

Something I forgot to mention in the video- the translation patch inaccurately states that Narron learns Gale upon promotion- he actually learns Blazing Wind. The patch translates the actual Gale skill as Hurricane.

New Characters

So I forgot to take pics of characters at the moment of their recruitment again, so the same disclaimer from Chapter 2 applies. In fact it may be better to assume that it applies always from now on so I don't have to keep saying it.

Mahter_zps7q6olm8v.png

The early game peg! She can use both swords and lances, and actually has very good magic for a physical unit, so I may give her the weapon level+ so that she can use the Thunder Sword once I get it. She's quite good and will probably see promotion. She has Gale aka Vantage, which is pretty good in this game, and also starts with Re-move.

Vega_zpsn1dzpwe9.png

Vega is a boss. He has better base stats than Julia, and comes with the amazing Schram. Not only does Schram have 10 Mt, 80 hit, 20 crit, and 2 weight, it also halves all damage taken while it is equipped. Additionally, he starts with Heaven Saint aka Sol, which combined with Schram gives him great durability. Will most definitely see promotion. Bonus, his game title is Reaper of Schram. That's pretty awesome.

Raquel_zpshmchf2wl.png

Ah, Raquel. Her stats are really good, and she comes promoted and she also has a bunch of skills, including ELITE, Continue, Forest Fighter, and City Fighter. She also comes with a high enough weapon level to use every bow in the game at base. Unfortunately, she has a restriction that prevents her from killing human units. She has an inbuilt FE10!Mercy that you can't remove except through an event that I won't be able to get because I didn't choose Ruka. However, she can kill monster units, and will be very good in those chapters, especially once she gets Anti-Evil in a few levels.

All in all, a good map as far as recruitable characters go.

New Skills

Gale ts-gale.gif: If the user is faster than the enemy, they go first regardless of who initiates combat.

Big Shield ts-big-shield.gif: Upon activation, the user's defence is increased by 20 for that battle. Its rate of activation is (Level)%.

Heaven Saint ts-heaven-saint.gif: Upon activation, heals the user for the damage done. Its rate of activation is (User's Skill - Enemy's Skill + 3)%, with a minimum of 3%.

Forest Fighter ts-forest-fighter.gif: On Forest maps, raises accuracy and evade by 10% and movement by 1.

Edited by BBM

chapter 5, yay

my first time doing an entire commentary in one segment #proud

New Characters

Zieg_zps3fcidqvp.png

ZIEG is pretty awesome. His stats wreck, he`s mounted, he comes with a ton of skills such as Elite, Life or Death, Frontier Fighter, Awareness, and Continue, and also gets Re-move in a few levels. Unfortunately, he`s a traitor and leaves your party partway through the game and becomes a boss whom you have to fight later. Unlike Orson, whose stats are fixed regardless of how much experience he gets, Zieg`s boss stats are actually equal to the stats he has upon leaving your party. So in most playthroughs, investing experience in him makes him more difficult to kill later on. But this is 0% growths so yay!

Maruju_zpsdfupcu3w.png

Maruju is kind of bad. All the elemental magical PCs in this game have a Prf weapon, and Maruju`s is Wundergust. Wundergust has 10 Mt, 100 hit, 20 crit, 1-2 range, and only 5 Wt, and is still unfortunately the worst of the lot, which in all fairness to Maruju is less of a knock against Wundergust and more of a testament to how good those other weapons are. But regardless, Wundergust is the worst, and on top of that Maruju`s bases leave something to be desired. He doesn`t come with any skills either, and doesn`t learn any until level 19, and even then only if he`s still unpromoted.

New Skills

Awareness ts-awareness.gif: Negates all the opponent`s skills other than Mug, Steal, and Elite.

Life or Death ts-life-or-death.gif: Increases critical hit rate by (100 - %HPremaining)%.

Frontier Fighter ts-frontier-fighter.gif: On Frontier maps, raises accuracy and evade by 10% and movement by 1. It also prevents taking damage from swamp tiles.

#threepeat

New Characters

Mel_zpssc9zomrv.png

Mel's stats aren't that great, but the only that really matters is her 7 movement, which means she can keep up with the cavalry. In a couple chapters, she'll also get the Magic Staff, which allows her to boost someone's MAG by 10 for the rest of the chapter. Later in the game this is going to be incredibly useful to help with some bosskills. Mel doesn't start off with any skills, but she gets Re-move at level 14 (which she'll most likely reach sooner or later). She'll probably be deployed in every map where she's available from now on.

Norton_zpssmxvyoi1.png

THWOMP #1 is pretty crappy. 3 movement and swordlock sucks, and his stats beyond his defence aren't even good. He gets a horse upon promotion, but still only reaches 6 movement, and doesn't gain any weapons either. He starts off with Life or Death and City Fighter, and gets Big Shield after promotion, but who cares? BENCH

let's see how long I can keep this streak going

New Characters

Thomas_zpsikfv10wl.png

Thomas is pretty bad. He's got good strength and defence and even his speed isn't absolutely terrible but 3 movement just sucks. Additionally, Woodshooters can't promote so he has no hope of extra movement in the future. And he learns his only skill, Continue, at level 30. BENCHED harder than Norton.

Roger_zps4hyy7x8s.png

Roger is pretty good. He's slightly worse than Narron but not by a lot, and he comes with good weapons and good skills in Gale, Big Shield, and City Fighter. He also learns Life or Death at level 18, which he may or may not reach.

the streak is dead long live the streak etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_RMWYZYyUA&feature=youtu.be

New Characters

Katri_zpsk0vezsa4.png

Katri is the equivalent of Enteh for Holmes's maps, but better. She has the skill Summon (which Enteh doesn't learn until level 30), so she can use summon staves, which don't come in handy very often but still, getting monsters to fight for you is cool. And more importantly, she can transform into a DRAGON called Neuron and kill everything. Enemies have somewhat competent AI in that they don't bother attacking Katri as Neuron, because they recognize they can't damage her. But having her do everything is not very fun, and also, she transforms back into a human after a certain number of attacks. If this happened in the middle of a phase it would suck, because her durability as a Cleric sucks, as you might expect.

Xeno_zps9dudhw0s.png

Xeno is solidly mediocre. He has pretty good growths regularly, and learns some cool skills later on like Blazing Wind and Anti-Evil, but his bad bases really let him down on 0% growths. He starts with Sea Fighter, but eh.

Yuni_zpsovc6s2to.png

Yuni can't fight for beans but who cares? Her starting skills, Picklock and Steal, let her open chests and doors without keys, which is especially great on maps where the win condition is to open a bunch chests, and have a chance at stealing an enemy's item if she hits them. Rather amusingly she also learns a bunch of useful skills at higher levels that she'll never reach, like Frontier Fighter, Continue, and Charisma. As you might expect from a thief, she'll pop up every now and then for certain chapters.

New Skills

Summon ts-summon.gif: Allows the use of summon staves to summon allied monsters.

Steal ts-steal.gif: Gives the character the ability to steal an item from an opponent in a battle. Its rate of activation is (Speed + Skill)%.

Picklock ts-picklock.gif: Allows a character to open chests and doors without the use of keys.

Earth Saint ts-earth-saint.gif: Upon activation, the user performs a critical hit that negates terrain effects. Its rate of activation is (User's Skill - Enemy's Skill + 3)%, with a minimum of 3%.

Not really to be honest. I'm not LTCing this game, but promoted fliers never hurt, especially as there's nobody else to funnel EXP into except maybe Vega (whom as I said is actually proving slightly disappointing already). She's also actually very competent with the Thunder Sword even at base (although she needs a weapon level+ to be able to use it), and there are very few physical enemies with good magic stats in this game.

Edited by BBM

doesn't mahter lose a ton of mag on promotion though

yeah I realized this sometime last week and was going to bring it up in my next video but I've been busy

I guess that means I probably won't promote her then? flying mage is better than raffin lite since it's 0% growths

Chapter 9! (and the first route split)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCEqOGnh4Ko&feature=youtu.be

New Characters

Meriah_zpsjksle45g.png

Meriah is okay; a little better than Maruju. Her main selling point is her two Prf weapons, although she only starts with one of them. That one is Starlight, which along with a whopping 20 Mt, also gives the user +30 Avoid. Unfortunately this sounds a lot better than it actually is- Starlight also has 12 Wt, meaning most of that bonus just goes to making up for that ridiculous weight, and even then she basically can't double with it. It's still pretty good, but considering it's 0% growths I don't think that it'll be all that great. Her second Prf weapon is pretty rad but it doesn't come for quite a while and her stats will unfortunately suck by then. She doesn't start off with any skills, and doesn't learn any until Level 15 either, which is kind of cruddy. I don't think she'll see much long-term use either, though she may see some cameos purely due to her second Prf weapon.

Narsus_zpsscgiegu2.png

Narsus is a Thief, meaning he can pick locks, although he can't steal for whatever reason. His main gimmick however is his Mimic skill. It allows him to transform into the unit beside him and become the same class as them (he keeps his weapons, stat gains, and skills though), rather like Xane from FE11. However, we haven't actually recruited him this chapter. At the end of this chapter, he runs off with half of Runan's gold and doesn't get re-recruited for another 15 maps or so, which is rather lame. He learns Nihil, Continue, and Gale at later levels, which is rather funny.

New Skills

Rewarp ts-warp.gif: The user can teleport to any traversable space on the map, and then perform an action.

Transform ts-transform.gif: The user transforms into the unit beside them (can be used on allies or enemies). Max HP = (Transformed Person's Max HP - Narsus's Max HP) + 0.5*Narsus's Max HP. Non-HP Stats = Narsus's Stats - Thief Base Stats + Transformed Person's Base Stats.