Pokemon X/Y General Thread

Quintessence

Welp, looks like its time for me to buckle down and finally choose if this is all were gonna get besides legendaries. I must say, its very disappointing and off putting to only have 70 new pokemon, many of which are repeats of the same types, but I'll just have to deal with it. I am happy with a lot of their designs though, so there's a silver lining!

Since I'm still imposing on myself the "no previous gen pokemon" rule, even if it seems the game intended for them to be used overall, I think I'm gonna run with:

Delphox, Sylveon, Heliolisk, Aegislash, Goodra, and Noivern (couldn't decide between the last two for my dragon, so I decided to take both; at least I'll have coverage with my Delphox, Sylveon, and Aegislash to protect them....)

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Zygarde didn't look so bad. But come on, 70 new Pokemon?? Even gen 4 has 107.....

As for my possible team, it would be

Aegislash, Talonflame, Greninja, Dragonite, Sylveon, ???

Haven't decided on the 6th, probably not from gen 6 though.

Still waiting on my Mega Dragonite, get on that.

I think I've decided on my team as well. As much as I'd like for it to be all new Pokemon, maybe that's not such an easy thing. But I can dream. Anyway:

Main Team

Chesnaught

Aegislash

Tyrantrum

Barbaracle

Talonflame

?????

Substitutes

Mega Charizard X

Mega Blastoise

Mega Blaziken

Sylveon

Klefki

Goodra

Trevenant

Malamar

Dragalge

Someone help me pick out the last one?

I think they're all based on Yggdrasil from Norse myths.

The deer (Xerneas), serpent (Zygarde) and eagle (Yveltal). There was also a squirrel (hi this game's equivalent of Mew/Celebi/Jirachi/Manaphy/Victini) and something else that I'm forgetting.

I love Zigarde's design.

Are the other two based on anything in particular?

The main theory (that I've heard about anyway) is that they're based on the eagle, stag, and snake or whatever that are associated with Yggdrasil.

Something I just noticed about the Pokemon that might make 69 Pokemon seem ok.

If we group each Pokemon for each evolutionary family they're a part of, we get:

69 Kanto families.

43 Johto families

76 Hoenn families

44 Sinnoh families

82 Unova families

34 Kalos families

(Note: Pokemon with cross generational families are counted with the first Pokemon. ie. Scyther -> Scizor is considered a Kanto family, Elekid->Electabuzz->Electivire is 1st gen family too, Eevee and its 8 evolutions are a 1st gen family too)

Now if we remove legendaries.

64 Kanto

37 Johto

66 Hoenn

31 Sinnoh

69 Unova

31 Kalos

Doesn't look so bad now.

Edited by Professor Palutena

Something I just noticed about the Pokemon that might make 69 Pokemon seem ok.

If we group each Pokemon for each evolutionary family they're a part of, we get:

69 Kanto families.

43 Johto families

76 Hoenn families

44 Sinnoh families

82 Unova families

34 Kalos families

(Note: Pokemon with cross generational families are counted with the first Pokemon. ie. Scyther -> Scizor is considered a Kanto family, Elekid->Electabuzz->Electivire is 1st gen family too, Eevee and its 8 evolutions are a 1st gen family too)

Now if we remove legendaries.

64 Kanto

37 Johto

76 Hoenn

31 Sinnoh

69 Unova

31 Kalos

Doesn't look so bad now.

huh, what happened here

The main theory (that I've heard about anyway) is that they're based on the eagle, stag, and snake or whatever that are associated with Yggdrasil.

There are a lot of theories going around that Zygarde is the Nidhogg of this generation. And who knows? Maybe we'll get our Squirrel (Ratatosk) Legendary as an Event Pokemon, or something. You never know.
However, I had reason to believe that the Legendaries for this generation were based off of Hinduism. Hinduism believes in the concept of The Creator, the Preserver, and the Destroyer. They are better known as Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva, respectively. Xerneas is known as "The Life Pokemon," so it would represent Brahma. Yveltal is known as "The Destruction Pokemon," so it would represent Shiva. And if you look at this:
0iyCAb7h.jpg
Zygarde is known as "The Order Pokemon." Thereby it would represent Vishnu in an abstract fashion. By upholding order, you have the ability to prolong change, therefore creating preservation in the process.
So yeah, it's probable that the trio of this gen is based off of not only Yggdrasil, but the Hinduism life cycle. Kinda neat.

Elite Four looks nice. I wonder if it's like last generation and you can fight them in any order you want, but it doesn't seem like it. Champion's team is ok I guess, but the arena looks fun.

Zygarde looks pretty cool other than the fact it's yet another Dragon/Ground. Three legendaries in total is a bit underwhelming IMO. Perhaps there's more later but so far I'm left on my appetite, especially typing-wise.

Edited by Woodshooter

There are a lot of theories going around that Zygarde is the Nidhogg of this generation. And who knows? Maybe we'll get our Squirrel (Ratatosk) Legendary as an Event Pokemon, or something. You never know.
However, I had reason to believe that the Legendaries for this generation were based off of Hinduism. Hinduism believes in the concept of The Creator, the Preserver, and the Destroyer. They are better known as Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva, respectively. Xerneas is known as "The Life Pokemon," so it would represent Brahma. Yveltal is known as "The Destruction Pokemon," so it would represent Shiva. And if you look at this:
0iyCAb7h.jpg
Zygarde is known as "The Order Pokemon." Thereby it would represent Vishnu in an abstract fashion. By upholding order, you have the ability to prolong change, therefore creating preservation in the process.
So yeah, it's probable that the trio of this gen is based off of not only Yggdrasil, but the Hinduism life cycle. Kinda neat.

I'm kinda sold on this. Now I must make sure not mention it to my friend because she will go nuts (as she usually does when games have some form of Hinduism in them).