Who do you think are the most overrated and underrated characters? [Fire Emblem: Awakening]

Well, I guess I was going on a tangent here, but you did say that you hated Vaike despite people calling him underrated. You didn't specifically mention which characters you think are overrated(and Vaike sure isn't) or who you think are underrated. And as it was stated earlier on the thread, a character being over/underrated is completely independent of whether you like or dislike a character(I like Owain/Lucina/Chrom, but I agree that they are overrated in the fandom and I don't really dislike any playable characters in this game[Excellus derserves every ill in the world]).

At least, I don't think that you stated who you think are over/underrated(It may just be my brain being short in sugar again). And thanks for the compliment :)

A character can still be overrated and be disliked. For example, before the Allies found out about the Holocaust, they considered Hitler a warmonger. I consider him overrated in that case. It is a similar situation with Vaike. I hate him more that most people, so I consider him overrated in my opinion. And I did in fact state that I considered Marribelle underrated, though based on how many people agree with me, she might not be at this point. And yes, I agree with you about Exellus. And your welcome.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A character can still be overrated and be disliked. For example, before the Allies found out about the Holocaust, they considered Hitler a warmonger. I consider him overrated in that case. It is a similar situation with Vaike. I hate him more that most people, so I consider him overrated in my opinion. And I did in fact state that I considered Marribelle underrated, though based on how many people agree with me, she might not be at this point. And yes, I agree with you about Exellus. And your welcome.

In short, it's "Needs more hate". No need to invoke Godwin's law.

Edited by Airship Canon

I want to say Kellam is underrated but I don't know if he's worth more praise because I haven't yet found a support convo that gives him any depth (still relatively new to the game).

I think Virion is hilarious, and liked Gregor almost instantly. Stahl is my favorite. So, maybe those all count as underrated?

Kellam's support with Nowi gives him some depth.

Virion and Gregor are definitely underrated, in by book, but I don't think Stahl is underrated. Or overrated, for that matter.

Keep in mind that Vaike would have had plenty of time to see Marribelle's other side because the Sheperds did not just form magically when the avatar arrived. Also, the force sent to Valm was most defiantly a real army with rules, and if Ylisse lost, what happened to that peasant guy in Port Ferox would have happened all over Archanea. Vaike, however, continues to be the utterly undicsiplined clod he is, and completely fails to grasp the gravity of the situation. The Sheperds are fighting to save humanity from genocide at the hands of Grima, and Vaike cannot be bothered to bring his axe. That disgusts me.

You do know that after the first battle, the only times he forgets his axe are: summer scramble (not serious, and he's holding it.) after they beat grima (probably still holding it, and after the world is saved.) and other than that... nothing. he also takes his training very seriously (C with miriel.) And to be fair, when she first joined the shepherds, Maribelle wouldn't even look at the 'normal folk' (so she only looked at chrom and lissa.), and she insults him later in the C support when he's trying to be nice to her.

Anyways: my list goes:

Overrated: Chrom, Lucina: Can't really be helped, their main characters

Owain: I like him, but I agree that not even Nah!Nah (Infinite mods.) would live up to his hype

Tharja: I strongly dislike Tharja. Owain may be more popular, but at least he has good qualities to do so. First of all, what greatly annoys me is that one AvatarxTharja gets liked for the same reason ChromxSumia (even though I don't like that pairing too much) gets bashed. Marrying your stalker for making good food and taking good care of you? fine. Marrying a friend because she cooks well, looks after you and suffers for you? Nope. I could rant about how she abuses her daughter and husband, but I won't.

Underrated:

Marribelle: yes, I do find her likable.Her character actually develops, even though she was kind of a stand up prick in the beggining.

Say'ri:Her character also develops, plus her coversations are meaningful.

Flavia, Basilio : No one ever talks about Flavia, and the same would be true for basilio if not for "Don't you put any stock in the destiny hogwash!"

Well, Vaike isn't exactly the most popular character in the game. Most people say that he's rather underrated, or at least in the more average character. So saying he's overrated just because some people happen to like him seems a bit extreme. I don't think Vaike has the fanbase to be considered overrated.

Most overrated: Owain, Inigo

Most underrated: Brady, Yarne

How can Inigo be overrated? Like I said before I don't think this is a subjective topic. And the only characters you have ground to stand on to say they are overrated are Owain, Chrom, Lucina, and Tharja to a lesser extent. Unless you are talking pure gameplay.

You do know that after the first battle, the only times he forgets his axe are: summer scramble (not serious, and he's holding it.) after they beat grima (probably still holding it, and after the world is saved.) and other than that... nothing. he also takes his training very seriously (C with miriel.) And to be fair, when she first joined the shepherds, Maribelle wouldn't even look at the 'normal folk' (so she only looked at chrom and lissa.), and she insults him later in the C support when he's trying to be nice to her.

Anyways: my list goes:

Overrated: Chrom, Lucina: Can't really be helped, their main characters

Owain: I like him, but I agree that not even Nah!Nah (Infinite mods.) would live up to his hype

Tharja: I strongly dislike Tharja. Owain may be more popular, but at least he has good qualities to do so. First of all, what greatly annoys me is that one AvatarxTharja gets liked for the same reason ChromxSumia (even though I don't like that pairing too much) gets bashed. Marrying your stalker for making good food and taking good care of you? fine. Marrying a friend because she cooks well, looks after you and suffers for you? Nope. I could rant about how she abuses her daughter and husband, but I won't.

Underrated:

Marribelle: yes, I do find her likable.Her character actually develops, even though she was kind of a stand up prick in the beggining.

Say'ri:Her character also develops, plus her coversations are meaningful.

Flavia, Basilio : No one ever talks about Flavia, and the same would be true for basilio if not for "Don't you put any stock in the destiny hogwash!"

Where exactly does it say that Marribelle won't look at commoners? I have played the game many times, and I do not remember that. Also, could you provide me with the exact quote from the support conversation? I totally agree with you about Tharja, though I think most people only marry herfor the boobs.

Well, Vaike isn't exactly the most popular character in the game. Most people say that he's rather underrated, or at least in the more average character. So saying he's overrated just because some people happen to like him seems a bit extreme. I don't think Vaike has the fanbase to be considered overrated.

How does being generally disliked make you not overrated when you(in my opinion) deserve to be hated. Also, you contradicted yourself. If most people consider a character underrated, they are not, in fact, underrated, making it more justified to consider Vaike overrated.

How is it bad? Probably because it started a few arguments

Because "overrated" means "I'm butthurt because my favorite character isn't as popular as this one" and "underrated" means "I'm better than you because I like a character who's not liked so I have real taste". This, pretty much.

And then there are the people who come here just because they hate the game. I understand you (not actually you, but the haters) don't like Awakening and its success, it's not a perfect game by any means. But hating on it every single time you come here on every single random thread where Awakening is brought up just makes you annoying and degrades the quality of the forum.

When I said it wasn't your fault, it was because your posts aren't bad. But it inspires character wars and here in this forum there's a lot of people who hate the game's script and will use every opportunity they can to bash the game, it seems. I come here to have fun not to have arguments, but it seems people think otherwise, or maybe this is the wrong place for me.

Edited by Malebolganone

And then there are the people who come here just because they hate the game.

What are you talking about? Awakening is the crappiest dating sim I've ever played.

394d.png

Airhead Blonde with pink hair. I'd call her a prostitute, but she's probably too stupid to realize she's used goods.

Probably can't even spell "marriage" and "devotion" let alone know their meanings.

Enjoy your "one and only" while the rest of the army "appreciates" your waifu.

im3k.png

An *ACTUAL* Airhead Blonde. I'd tell her to get back in the kitchen, but that would be dangerous as people would probably end up dead from her cooking skills.

Shit waifu.

0/10

This entire game is an overrated character.

Edited by shadowofchaos

How can Inigo be overrated? Like I said before I don't think this is a subjective topic. And the only characters you have ground to stand on to say they are overrated are Owain, Chrom, Lucina, and Tharja to a lesser extent. Unless you are talking pure gameplay.

My responses are based mainly on personality and popularity. Not gameplay.

Most overrated: Owain, Inigo

I really like Owain, but his popularity is too crazy for me. It also make people think he is a better unit.

Inigo is mainly because I don't really like his character, but he is very popular within the children generation.

Most underrated: Brady, Yarne

Brady is awesome as a unit when he gets turned into a sage. And even more awesome if he has a galeforce. Because Laurent sucks, he is the best magic user in the game. He also has an awesome personality and is a perfect foil to his noble mother.

Yarne is a character I myself at first disliked. But after thinking over his cowardly personality, the truth is he really isnt a coward. He's someone who overcomes his fears everytime he steps onto the battlefield. Also he makes an excellent axe user unit.

Because "overrated" means "I'm butthurt because my favorite character isn't as popular as this one" and "underrated" means "I'm better than you because I like a character who's not liked so I have real taste". This, pretty much.

And then there are the people who come here just because they hate the game. I understand you (not actually you, but the haters) don't like Awakening and its success, it's not a perfect game by any means. But hating on it every single time you come here on every single random thread where Awakening is brought up just makes you annoying and degrades the quality of the forum.

When I said it wasn't your fault, it was because your posts aren't bad. But it inspires character wars and here in this forum there's a lot of people who hate the game's script and will use every opportunity they can to bash the game, it seems. I come here to have fun not to have arguments, but it seems people think otherwise, or maybe this is the wrong place for me.

Oh, I see. I think I didn't explain "overrated" and "underrated" well enough... Apparently some fans don't know what the terms truly mean.

Haters actually come here and comment? So basically I created I thread for haters to come and hate the game. .__.

Well I definitely learned my lesson because I scanned through all the comments. I won't create such an "open" topic next time, then. I came here to have fun too, but apparently took the wrong steps and created a thread haters can easily bash the game. Thanks for your honesty, now I know how threads work. :^_^:

Virion is, honestly, the most underrated character in the game.

People tend to dismiss him as just a womanizer but he's one of the few characters in FE13 that is more than just his 'gimmick.'

Virion is, honestly, the most underrated character in the game.

People tend to dismiss him as just a womanizer but he's one of the few characters in FE13 that is more than just his 'gimmick.'

Impossible to be more underrated than Kellam. Both have sucky classes, but Virion's gimmick is better than Kellam's IMO.