Who do you think are the most overrated and underrated characters? [Fire Emblem: Awakening]

And I'll answer it again. No. I don't have to finish the game or play a higher difficulty to marry two characters and test out the resulted child.

In all honesty, you sort of ... have to. You said you play normal mode, right? There's nothing wrong with playing normal mode (I play on normal mode as well), but almost everyone is usable in normal mode. There are some characters who are just not feasible in harder difficulties, or where the smallest thing makes a big difference. For example, when I played lunatic mode, my Robin could not double things while my Miriel could. All because of the pair up bonuses.

Right now, you only have one experience with Frederick: marrying him to the avatar and trying out the resulting Morgan. You have not personally married Frederick to any other character to see how well the resulting child turns out, nor have you married the avatar to any other character to see how the resulting Morgan would turn out. And, again, on normal mode and with grinding everyone is feasible. This is akin to me saying that "Miriel is awesome because I paired her with the avatar and they killed everything and my Laurent had +8 magic in exchange for strength that he didn't even need as a sage so therefore Miriel and Laurent are awesome" WITHOUT experimenting with other Miriel or avatar pairings. Or soc saying that "my Olivia can 1RKO generals with pavise+ on lunatic mode, therefore Olivia is an awesome combat unit", something like that.

You're trying to compare things when you don't actually have the personal experience to do so. It's not enough to say "oh but other people say" or "oh I see it a lot". Your words have a little less weight because you can't actually back them up with your own experiences.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most overrated: Owain, Inigo

Most underrated: Brady, Yarne

okay, I fucking LOVE that Anna sprite in your sig. Did you make it?

I don't see where you get that Vaike is sexist and classist. I was looking quickly through his support and saw nothing that would suggest that he's sexist. As for the Classist aspect, considering he grew up in a slum it could be understood, but in his B support with Lissa, he states that Chrom made him realize that not all highborn are pompous and that people from different social standing can be friend. As for the not fit for army part, this game isn't really strong on military realism.

That's pretty much how I feel about the characters in this game. As I stated before, I appreciate in some measure every character in this game and don't think that one character of pairing is objectively the best since those things are extremely subjective. I have my favorites(which should be apparent due to my Avatar and sig) but I don't think they're the best characters/pairing in the game, they just have a higher value in my eyes due to my personality and opinions.

And after looking through some sites, I can say that Chrom, Lucina and Tharja also part of the overrated club, but the king is still Owain. In Chrom and Lucina's case, their popularity is a bit too overblown even if they're the lords of the game(will be using Smash again, but claiming that Chrom and Lucina should replace Marth and Ike is a thing in certain circles). As for Tharja, I definitely think that she gets way more love than her character and role in the story would suggest, but then again, that's just my opinion.

In Vaikes supports with Marribelle, he assumes she'd treat the people of his slum badly by the fact that she's a noble. I consider that classist. In addition, it does not matter if he would be punished for his disrespect in the Sheperds. The fact is, he should have been, and his gross lack of any regard for military discipline places him on my hate list. In the army, obeying orders is the difference between life and death, and Vaikes neglect to do something as basic as bringing a weapon is a danger to himself and others. In addition, his extreme hubris is a constant annoyance.

typical self-insert character super vital to the plot of course the herald of the dark god

and so generic doesn't even have a limited class set

worst character 10/10

In Vaikes supports with Marribelle, he assumes she'd treat the people of his slum badly by the fact that she's a noble. I consider that classist. In addition, it does not matter if he would be punished for his disrespect in the Sheperds. The fact is, he should have been, and his gross lack of any regard for military discipline places him on my hate list. In the army, obeying orders is the difference between life and death, and Vaikes neglect to do something as basic as bringing a weapon is a danger to himself and others. In addition, his extreme hubris is a constant annoyance.

Well, Maribelle does seem pretty stuck up on first impression, so he's not being classist, he's just judging Maribelle on what he knows of her. Also I think you're taking too far with the Military disrespect. Sure in a real army, he would have been heavily punished, but we're talking about a ragtag bunch of fighters that include young people that transform in dragons, someone who constantly trip, killer bunnys and an strangely unnoticeable man in heavy armor.

Well, Maribelle does seem pretty stuck up on first impression, so he's not being classist, he's just judging Maribelle on what he knows of her. Also I think you're taking too far with the Military disrespect. Sure in a real army, he would have been heavily punished, but we're talking about a ragtag bunch of fighters that include young people that transform in dragons, someone who constantly trip, killer bunnys and an strangely unnoticeable man in heavy armor.

Keep in mind that Vaike would have had plenty of time to see Marribelle's other side because the Sheperds did not just form magically when the avatar arrived. Also, the force sent to Valm was most defiantly a real army with rules, and if Ylisse lost, what happened to that peasant guy in Port Ferox would have happened all over Archanea. Vaike, however, continues to be the utterly undicsiplined clod he is, and completely fails to grasp the gravity of the situation. The Sheperds are fighting to save humanity from genocide at the hands of Grima, and Vaike cannot be bothered to bring his axe. That disgusts me.

Keep in mind that Vaike would have had plenty of time to see Marribelle's other side because the Sheperds did not just form magically when the avatar arrived. Also, the force sent to Valm was most defiantly a real army with rules, and if Ylisse lost, what happened to that peasant guy in Port Ferox would have happened all over Archanea. Vaike, however, continues to be the utterly undicsiplined clod he is, and completely fails to grasp the gravity of the situation. The Sheperds are fighting to save humanity from genocide at the hands of Grima, and Vaike cannot be bothered to bring his axe. That disgusts me.

From the way the game is set up, Maribelle doesn't seem like an original member of the Sheperds, the only character she knew beforehand being Lissa, Chrom and Ricken(if I remember correctly). Also the game makes it seems like characters are just getting to know each other in a lot of support so that you 'discover' those characters at the same time. And doesn't Vaike change his mind about Maribelle at the end of their support?

Do you hate Sumia then that's battling even though she can't walk without tripping, thus putting others in danger thanks to her clumsiness? Or how Yarne is a danger to everyone since he can flee without warning? Or that Nowi's and Cynthia's childlike disposition are a distraction to the rest of the army?. You may hate Vaike because of his negligence, but plenty of things in this game doesn't make sense in terms of real-life military. Just because those things makes you dislike the guy doesn't mean that it'll make other people dislike him too.

And I'll answer it again. No. I don't have to finish the game or play a higher difficulty to marry two characters and test out the resulted child.

>Has only tested out Morgan who is pretty much god-tier regardless of the father

Yes, yes you do. Just basing it off Morgan alone doesn't mean Freddy Bear Meat is anything other than meh outside of lunatic and fanfiction.

Just gonna say, anyone who knows me knows that I love Chrom and Lucina to bits, but I will readily admit and agree that they're overrated compared to most of the cast. Though considering that a lot of it has to do with the fact that they're main characters, there's not much that can be helped about that.

Basically, whether or not I love the character, I can and will call it as it is in regards to their status in popularity, which is basically what the core of this over/underrated stuff is all about in the end. Honestly though, I don't really let the toxicity of the popularity contests in this fandom bother me, since there isn't really a character I legitimately hate; there's always redeeming qualities I find in them that make me like them and respect them enough as characters (yes, even Tharja).

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one with this mindset...

I wish there were more people with you...I didn't mean to start any fights. I just wanted to know others opinions because I was curious. Also, I won't bash anyone who says a favorite character I like is overrated. Because they can be overrated... Although I don't want people classifying "overrated" as "least favorite character." Nope, there's a difference. Unless you have good reasons to back it up, then the character is not overrated, rather you just dislike or hate it.

okay, I fucking LOVE that Anna sprite in your sig. Did you make it?

yes, i made it. it's an edit of an assassin plus the legs of a rogue.

I found Cordelia to be overrated. I think Sumia is just as good, if not better. The most underrated character is that beast, Donnel. My gosh is he invinsible once you reclass him.

Yeah, Donnel is very underrated on SF I think.

Cordelia has always ended up stronger than Sumia in every game I've played. I don't know what it is but the RNG goddess never give me the right boosts for Sumia.

Peg. Knights. I'm certain that I'm using them wrong, but Sumia and Cordelia never turn out as the top tier monsters everyone makes them out to be. Sumia always lacks Strength and Defence, so that 8 Mov is wasted waiting for Cavs or Mages to clear the dangerous enemies. Cordelia has decent Str and Def, but lacks the blistering speed I expect of a Peg, Knight, meaning she has no avoid and suffers the same problems as Sumia. I can't just let them fly and expect the exp to come rolling in. Basically, it feels like I'm constantly babying them, whilst people like Henry actually have to be held back because Nosferatanking is so broken.

I'm not sure I understand some of the heat Vaike gets

he's really not that much different from dudes like Bartre and Boyd; last i checked, both were fairly well liked or at least regarded neutrally. I guess he's got more of an ego going but eh

From the way the game is set up, Maribelle doesn't seem like an original member of the Sheperds, the only character she knew beforehand being Lissa, Chrom and Ricken(if I remember correctly). Also the game makes it seems like characters are just getting to know each other in a lot of support so that you 'discover' those characters at the same time. And doesn't Vaike change his mind about Maribelle at the end of their support?

Do you hate Sumia then that's battling even though she can't walk without tripping, thus putting others in danger thanks to her clumsiness? Or how Yarne is a danger to everyone since he can flee without warning? Or that Nowi's and Cynthia's childlike disposition are a distraction to the rest of the army?. You may hate Vaike because of his negligence, but plenty of things in this game doesn't make sense in terms of real-life military. Just because those things makes you dislike the guy doesn't mean that it'll make other people dislike him too.

(/quote)

I actually do hate Yarne because of that. He is a coward through and through. With regards to Sumia, she is trying to remedy her clumsiness, and it is not a danger when she is actually fighting, as she is on her Pegasus the whole time. Now I and Cynthia do not distract the army. And isn't stating YOU'RE opinion on who is over/under rated the whole point of this thread? That is all for now. And by the way, I would like to complement you on you're skills as a debater.

I want to say Kellam is underrated but I don't know if he's worth more praise because I haven't yet found a support convo that gives him any depth (still relatively new to the game).

I think Virion is hilarious, and liked Gregor almost instantly. Stahl is my favorite. So, maybe those all count as underrated?

Edited by Shev

I actually do hate Yarne because of that. He is a coward through and through. With regards to Sumia, she is trying to remedy her clumsiness, and it is not a danger when she is actually fighting, as she is on her Pegasus the whole time. Now I and Cynthia do not distract the army. And isn't stating YOU'RE opinion on who is over/under rated the whole point of this thread? That is all for now. And by the way, I would like to complement you on you're skills as a debater.

Well, I guess I was going on a tangent here, but you did say that you hated Vaike despite people calling him underrated. You didn't specifically mention which characters you think are overrated(and Vaike sure isn't) or who you think are underrated. And as it was stated earlier on the thread, a character being over/underrated is completely independent of whether you like or dislike a character(I like Owain/Lucina/Chrom, but I agree that they are overrated in the fandom and I don't really dislike any playable characters in this game[Excellus derserves every ill in the world]).

At least, I don't think that you stated who you think are over/underrated(It may just be my brain being short in sugar again). And thanks for the compliment :)

Registered just to say this. Libra's the most underrated character in the game. Not only is this guy a prettyboy-Varg-Vikernes, but he comes to you in a point in the game where you don't really have any healers who can fight and you certainly don't have one who swings a Killer Axe and heals himself every turn.

I want to say Kellam is underrated but I don't know if he's worth more praise because I haven't yet found a support convo that gives him any depth (still relatively new to the game).

I think Virion is hilarious, and liked Gregor almost instantly. Stahl is my favorite. So, maybe those all count as underrated?

Check out the Kellam and Donnel supports, it has almost nothing to do with his vanishing problem. It is actually one of the better supports in the game.

Overrated- Tharja

Abusing your daughter and being a stalker is not even close to being hot or attractive, just don't see the love for her. And she seems to be really loved and adored by most FE fans, hence her name being lit up in lights.

- Owain I just don't understand all the hype about him, it's nice how much he honors and loves his parents, but his oddness and strange shouting quotes to me, personally is more obnoxious than funny or epic.

- Chrom and Lucina I like them , don't get me wrong but they're pretty over-hyped. They're both treated like Gods of the FE universe. That spot should be reserved for Henry

Underrated- Virion I don't know I just see very small fanart of him and very little of anything of him, he does get more love than some others, but this man is very funny, very sassy, and very charming and romantic. Married him once and he made a nice husband.

- Kellam I just feel very sorry for him and how he's basically like a shadow and people like see him as a invisible ghost and don't really notice him, because he's very quiet and un- confident and sort of shy in a way. Poor man, very handy during beginning chapters too.

- Sumia She's clumsy, awkward, cute and saves Chrom so no damsel in distress here. But she gets in Avatar x Chrom fans ways, by being basically canon with him, and she loves to cook in the kitchen, so again, she gets hate.

Because a Women enjoying Cooking or Baking to make other people happy is not allowed. Forbidden. Jail for thousands of years.

>_>

- Noire - She's shy, cute, and pretty tough with what she's been through and suffered through with all the mental abuse Tharja has given her. Poor Noire, I love you.

Panne and Yarne- I keep on seeing them get hate because they're like half- Rabbit, half- Human on Tumblr. Yarne's shyness and paranoia is really understandable and he is pretty cute and Panne is a wise and pretty careful and independent Women/ Rabbit.

Henry ( On these Forums )- The best character in the game needs more loving here. bow down to your king

Edited by glenncoco

This whole game is overrated.

Very Hipster

Very Extreme

So Rebel

Such Danger

I Forgot Libra he's pretty much underated as well. Nice guy, very kind and understanding to all the people that he meets. Even though his past was basically terrible. ;___;

Edited by glenncoco