Who do you think are the most overrated and underrated characters? [Fire Emblem: Awakening]

It seems to be hard for people to not be biased on these type of topics. Honestly the only characters that you have ground to stand on to say they are overrated are Owain, Lucina, Chrom, and Tharja. Especially the first three other than that you really can't say that anyone else is overrated. Unless you are talking pure gameplay

Edited by The Roar

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, you call me out on things CONSTANTLY and it always starts crap like this. And it's never necessary, because there's an awesome thing you can do called ignoring. Haven't you ever heard a common little phrase that goes "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"?

And of course what I said implies that I don't like the character. How else can I explain why I find her overrated? I also said that I've met a lot of people that like her.

"If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all" is general advice that usually works, but not a general rule. While soc has a tendency to sound harsh in his posts, some of what he says has merit at times, such as posting advice in gameplay threads when you might not be the most qualified to give that advice. It is also a two-way street. I've seen you say stuff like "people who can't see why Ike is a great character are stupid" and other things that can rub people the wrong way.

Also, "overrated" does not mean "character I dislike". Nor does "underrated" mean "character I like who doesn't get enough praise". And let me start with my own definition of "overrated". A character who is talked about everywhere that I go relating to the material. A character whose fans are VERY vocal and noticeable whenever someone says something negative about that character.

Sumia is not overrated because you don't like her but you see a lot of people who do like her. If there were a large number of Sumia fans who proclaimed her to be the best character in the game who produces the best child/best Lucina and all you haters are just jealous Chrom fangirls who are angry about her stealing your hubby" you'd probably have a point about her being overrated. Thing is, I've NEVER seen Sumia fans who are vocal in this manner. Chrom, Tharja, Lucina, Owain, and Cordelia are arguably overrated because their fans are vocal and sometimes bash other people who don't like them. There is a difference. People simply liking a character you dislike does not make that character overrated.

Also, "overrated" does not mean "character I dislike". Nor does "underrated" mean "character I like who doesn't get enough praise".

This is why I dislike calling things overrated and underrated. If you look at any list that includes the words "overrated" or "underrated" it's usually just popular things the writer dislikes, or unpopular things the writer likes.

Underrated: Frederick

Nor does "underrated" mean "character I like who doesn't get enough praise".

This is why I dislike calling things overrated and underrated. If you look at any list that includes the words "overrated" or "underrated" it's usually just popular things the writer dislikes, or unpopular things the writer likes.

While Frederick does get bashed when he gets left behind on Lunatic Mode... YOU NEED HIM for survival.

That automatically gets people to praise him.

In fact, I don't see anyone bashing Frederick other than "he's the crutch character that gets left behind" in purely gameplay perspective.

Anything outside that, and the fanbase doesn't LOVE or HATE him.

Freddy-bear doesn't fit ANYWHERE within "underrated".

Edited by shadowofchaos

I don't think Sumia is overrated as a character but she definitely is as a unit. True she might have better skill and class set than Cordelia which might allow her to perform better in the endgame but before that there's a story mode and Sumia just doesn't cut it. I found myself using her merely to ferry Chrom around and as a support bot since her strength and defense growths are really bad.

Also it's annoying how the game shoves Sumia down your throat so I understand why people might hate her. Beginning movie, lovebirds, punch in the face, only character to get a special scene with Chrom after Chapter 11, and also the convenient fact she's a pegasus knight so she's ideal to give Chrom mobility in Chapters 8 and 9, which might make you build support between them when you don't want to. Finally, due to the script, none of the other pairing options for Chrom make much sense if you play as male Avatar. Sully locks Lucina (and Kjelle I think) out of Galeforce, Maribelle doesn't fit Chrom at all and Olivia comes in too late in the game to make their love believable. I don't even mind having Sumia as Chrom's waifu but seriously, Chrom's marriage options, apart from Sumia herself and female Avatar, just plain suck from a story perspective. Sumia herself has way better partners than Chrom! Out of the few she has.

And it's quite funny that everyone knows about Cordelia's crush on Chrom yet they completely ignore Sumia's obvious signs that she has a crush on Chrom too. I spotted it in the first scene she appeared (like everyone did, pretty much), and I hadn't even watched the intro movie. I said to myself "oh this is the character they're going to ship Chrom with..." and I wasn't wrong in this, lol.

Back to the topic since this isn't a Sumia thread, usually people call things overrated because they just want to be the "cool" people who sail against the current. IMO, Tharja isn't all that, but she seriously isn't that bad. I like quite a few of her supports, and dark mages are supposed to be creepy. Cordelia is loved because she's among the most beautiful ladies, she's not the best character personality wise by any means, even though, as I said, I see a lot of me in her. I'm actually surprised Cordelia has so much love, because she's a character whose potential wasn't properly unlocked by the writers IMO. The only character I definitely think is way overrated is Owain. It just seems wrong to me that people would wish for him to be in SSB instead of the characters who are the back bone of the game (Chrom and Lucina).

Edited by Malebolganone

I find it difficult to coin something as overrated or underrated since it depends a lot on opinion. Some people will call a character overrated because he finds it exaggerated that so many people like one character while he's neutral about said character. On the other hand, people will call underrated a character they really like that isn't appreciated enough for according to them.

By trying to curb my opinions as much as possible and based on what I saw of the fan-base, I think that Owain is the only true overrated character. I really like Owain and he made me laugh several times, but I think the amount of hype he has is just mind-boggling. Just the fact that some want a secondary character to be in Smash over the lord(s) of the game is proof enough that people are going too far.

As far as underrated character goes, the only character I observed to be unfairly hated are Maribelle and Vaike. I personally dislike no character i this game, so the idea that some would hate a character to the point of killing him ASAP seems weird to me. Both these characters can make a bad first impression, but doing their support shows their good side, especially Maribelle(I find her hilarious in some supports).

There's surely some other underrated characters that I'm forgetting, but these 2 seemed fit the underrated condition the most.

As for other overrated characters, I cannot really say. I've seen Tharja, Chrom and Lucina names in this thread, but Owain just seems to blow everyone out of the water.

Edited by LuxSpes

I can't think of a character that I completely hate in this game. All of them have some form of redeeming quality. I disliked Kjelle at the start, but after doing her support and seeing her Harvest conv, I find her more likable.

"If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all" is general advice that usually works, but not a general rule. While soc has a tendency to sound harsh in his posts, some of what he says has merit at times, such as posting advice in gameplay threads when you might not be the most qualified to give that advice. It is also a two-way street. I've seen you say stuff like "people who can't see why Ike is a great character are stupid" and other things that can rub people the wrong way.

Also, "overrated" does not mean "character I dislike". Nor does "underrated" mean "character I like who doesn't get enough praise". And let me start with my own definition of "overrated". A character who is talked about everywhere that I go relating to the material. A character whose fans are VERY vocal and noticeable whenever someone says something negative about that character.

Sumia is not overrated because you don't like her but you see a lot of people who do like her. If there were a large number of Sumia fans who proclaimed her to be the best character in the game who produces the best child/best Lucina and all you haters are just jealous Chrom fangirls who are angry about her stealing your hubby" you'd probably have a point about her being overrated. Thing is, I've NEVER seen Sumia fans who are vocal in this manner. Chrom, Tharja, Lucina, Owain, and Cordelia are arguably overrated because their fans are vocal and sometimes bash other people who don't like them. There is a difference. People simply liking a character you dislike does not make that character overrated.

THANK YOU. This is what I meant! Overrated as "talked about everywhere, and even if you search for something else, a ton of results popping up." Also, people get really bent out of shape if you even politely say you dislike the character. Underrated I mean that the character "hardly talked about, usually hated for a not good reason, or doesn't get recognition they deserve." Like, a character can be hated for their personality, but actually are very good as a unit. You explained the terms overrated and underrated way better than I would have. :^_^:

THANK YOU. This is what I meant! Overrated as "talked about everywhere, and even if you search for something else, a ton of results popping up." Also, people get really bent out of shape if you even politely say you dislike the character. Underrated I mean that the character "hardly talked about, usually hated for a not good reason, or doesn't get recognition they deserve." Like, a character can be hated for their personality, but actually are very good as a unit. You explained the terms overrated and underrated way better than I would have. :^_^:

Not really. I do a Google Search for Cordelia art and lots of Cherche stuff appear. Cherche is hardly overrated.

Chrom will appear in most searches whether you want it or not, but that's because he's the protagonist of the game, not because he's overrated.

Finally, these four characters Chrom, Gaius, Cordelia and Tharja will appear a lot in searches because they're the ones who were chosen for fanservice in the Summer Scramble DLC.

I'm not saying you're entirely wrong, though. Just pointing out the argument does have some flaws.

Ironically Avatar is widely regarded as the Mary Sue of the game yet I hardly see any artwork of him in his various iterations.

Edited by Malebolganone

Vaike hate is the proof there are sad people in the world.

Well he *IS* kind of a joke character for first impressions. Especially since he uses "Ore-sama" arrogant Japanese personal pronoun.

But he does develop, just like all the other characters in their supports. He isn't one of my favorites, but "The Teach" gets my approval.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Not really. I do a Google Search for Cordelia art and lots of Cherche stuff appear. Cherche is hardly overrated.

Chrom will appear in most searches whether you want it or not, but that's because he's the protagonist of the game, not because he's overrated.

Finally, these four characters Chrom, Gaius, Cordelia and Tharja will appear a lot in searches because they're the ones who were chosen for fanservice in the Summer Scramble DLC.

I'm not saying you're entirely wrong, though. Just pointing out the argument does have some flaws.

Ironically Avatar is widely regarded as the Mary Sue of the game yet I hardly see any artwork of him in his various iterations.

...You have a point there. :sweatdrop: Maybe it's because they both start with C? Probably not why

Also Lucina, Owain, Inigo, and Severa because they showed up in the Hot Spring DLC right?

I think the Avatar slightly can be, but then again they really aren't. They aren't, like having every single girl/guy fighting over them so... And the reason they can support with all the characters in the game I think is because everyone has different opinions on certain characters, so they give you the opportunity to marry or support with whoever you want out of the whole character cast.

Edited by LuigiandShadowGirl

Just gonna say, anyone who knows me knows that I love Chrom and Lucina to bits, but I will readily admit and agree that they're overrated compared to most of the cast. Though considering that a lot of it has to do with the fact that they're main characters, there's not much that can be helped about that.

Basically, whether or not I love the character, I can and will call it as it is in regards to their status in popularity, which is basically what the core of this over/underrated stuff is all about in the end. Honestly though, I don't really let the toxicity of the popularity contests in this fandom bother me, since there isn't really a character I legitimately hate; there's always redeeming qualities I find in them that make me like them and respect them enough as characters (yes, even Tharja).

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one with this mindset...

Um, most people here I've seen hate Vaike.

Overrated? Chrom. Chrom. Chrom.

Underrated? Definitely Laurent. I never hear about him.

That's the point. Vaike does not get enough hate.

Vaike hate is the proof there are sad people in the world.

Vaike is sexist and classist. He is Rude to his superiors. He freaking FORGETS HIS AXE! If Vaike was in an army with even the slightest pretense of discipline, he would have been court martialed 100000000000000000 times over.

Vaike is sexist and classist. He is Rude to his superiors. He freaking FORGETS HIS AXE! If Vaike was in an army with even the slightest pretense of discipline, he would have been court martialed 100000000000000000 times over.

I don't see where you get that Vaike is sexist and classist. I was looking quickly through his support and saw nothing that would suggest that he's sexist. As for the Classist aspect, considering he grew up in a slum it could be understood, but in his B support with Lissa, he states that Chrom made him realize that not all highborn are pompous and that people from different social standing can be friend. As for the not fit for army part, this game isn't really strong on military realism.

Just gonna say, anyone who knows me knows that I love Chrom and Lucina to bits, but I will readily admit and agree that they're overrated compared to most of the cast. Though considering that a lot of it has to do with the fact that they're main characters, there's not much that can be helped about that.

Basically, whether or not I love the character, I can and will call it as it is in regards to their status in popularity, which is basically what the core of this over/underrated stuff is all about in the end. Honestly though, I don't really let the toxicity of the popularity contests in this fandom bother me, since there isn't really a character I legitimately hate; there's always redeeming qualities I find in them that make me like them and respect them enough as characters (yes, even Tharja).

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one with this mindset...

That's pretty much how I feel about the characters in this game. As I stated before, I appreciate in some measure every character in this game and don't think that one character of pairing is objectively the best since those things are extremely subjective. I have my favorites(which should be apparent due to my Avatar and sig) but I don't think they're the best characters/pairing in the game, they just have a higher value in my eyes due to my personality and opinions.

And after looking through some sites, I can say that Chrom, Lucina and Tharja also part of the overrated club, but the king is still Owain. In Chrom and Lucina's case, their popularity is a bit too overblown even if they're the lords of the game(will be using Smash again, but claiming that Chrom and Lucina should replace Marth and Ike is a thing in certain circles). As for Tharja, I definitely think that she gets way more love than her character and role in the story would suggest, but then again, that's just my opinion.

It depends, really

As a unit in LTC (overrated): Sumia immediately comes to mind. She really isn't all that.

As a character(overrated): Owain.

As a unit (underrated): Ricken, Cordelia, Stahl, Cherche, Chrom, Frederick

As a character(underrated): idk

THE VAIKE is the most underrated character ever actually

Too many people hate on THE VAIKE

This

Don't make ol' Teach give you guys a lecture!

Yeah I find Vaike pretty underrated. Sully too

While Frederick does get bashed when he gets left behind on Lunatic Mode... YOU NEED HIM for survival.

That automatically gets people to praise him.

In fact, I don't see anyone bashing Frederick other than "he's the crutch character that gets left behind" in purely gameplay perspective.

Anything outside that, and the fanbase doesn't LOVE or HATE him.

Freddy-bear doesn't fit ANYWHERE within "underrated".

I do see people shove Frederick off simply because he's a Jagen. They're like "Ew, he's a Jagen, screw him" basically. Which isn't fair, especially since Second Sealing can break him out of his curse.

I don't think Sumia is overrated as a character but she definitely is as a unit. True she might have better skill and class set than Cordelia which might allow her to perform better in the endgame but before that there's a story mode and Sumia just doesn't cut it. I found myself using her merely to ferry Chrom around and as a support bot since her strength and defense growths are really bad.

Also it's annoying how the game shoves Sumia down your throat so I understand why people might hate her. Beginning movie, lovebirds, punch in the face, only character to get a special scene with Chrom after Chapter 11, and also the convenient fact she's a pegasus knight so she's ideal to give Chrom mobility in Chapters 8 and 9, which might make you build support between them when you don't want to. Finally, due to the script, none of the other pairing options for Chrom make much sense if you play as male Avatar. Sully locks Lucina (and Kjelle I think) out of Galeforce, Maribelle doesn't fit Chrom at all and Olivia comes in too late in the game to make their love believable. I don't even mind having Sumia as Chrom's waifu but seriously, Chrom's marriage options, apart from Sumia herself and female Avatar, just plain suck from a story perspective. Sumia herself has way better partners than Chrom! Out of the few she has.

And it's quite funny that everyone knows about Cordelia's crush on Chrom yet they completely ignore Sumia's obvious signs that she has a crush on Chrom too. I spotted it in the first scene she appeared (like everyone did, pretty much), and I hadn't even watched the intro movie. I said to myself "oh this is the character they're going to ship Chrom with..." and I wasn't wrong in this, lol.

Back to the topic since this isn't a Sumia thread, usually people call things overrated because they just want to be the "cool" people who sail against the current. IMO, Tharja isn't all that, but she seriously isn't that bad. I like quite a few of her supports, and dark mages are supposed to be creepy. Cordelia is loved because she's among the most beautiful ladies, she's not the best character personality wise by any means, even though, as I said, I see a lot of me in her. I'm actually surprised Cordelia has so much love, because she's a character whose potential wasn't properly unlocked by the writers IMO. The only character I definitely think is way overrated is Owain. It just seems wrong to me that people would wish for him to be in SSB instead of the characters who are the back bone of the game (Chrom and Lucina).

Well, thank you for explaining to me in a nicer, more civilized tone, Sangyul. I think I understand better now.

Edited by Anacybele

I do see people shove Frederick off simply because he's a Jagen. They're like "Ew, he's a Jagen, screw him" basically. Which isn't fair, especially since Second Sealing can break him out of his curse.

You know what else isn't fair? If you're going to second seal my edible Freddy Bear Meat, you can do the same to any unit that's already better than the bear meat.

Also irony: Freddy Bear Meat. Teehee~

You know what else isn't fair? If you're going to second seal my edible Freddy Bear Meat, you can do the same to any unit that's already better than the bear meat.

Also irony: Freddy Bear Meat. Teehee~

Yeah, so? Doesn't change the fact that when work is put into him, he becomes monstrous.