Willingly have no friends - very detrimental.

edza90

I have no idea what you're trying to say. If you're using Google Translate, please stop, and take the time to learn proper English. Otherwise, it's impossible to hold any sort of proper discussion.

Actually I'm a professional (read proficous and quite skilled due to lot of experience in the sector, yet not paid due to so many factors) articolist and I tend to use those kind of words that regular-brained ones don't use, for, you known... they don't read and study like 10 books in a month, alongside lot's of documents about this and that that finish chunked up as documents to consult when necessary in special folders that the user created!

Never adopted Google Translator as a device to mean my words!

Edited by edza90

Actually I'm a professional (read proficous and quite skilled due to lot of experience in the sector, yet not paid due to so many factors) articolist and I tend to use those kind of words that regular-brained ones don't use, for, you known... they don't read and study like 10 books in a month, alongside lot's of documents about this and that that finish chunked up as documents to consult when necessary in special folders that the user created!

Never adopted Google Translator as a device to mean my words!

However, you use virtually every "unusual" word incorrectly, much like you've found a thesaurus and peppered your language with uncommonly used words. There's also a great number of simple grammatical and syntax errors in your writing. Whilst I appreciate that English is not your first language, I would recommend learning basic grammar before attempting to use such complex language. To be professional, it really does need to be your job i.e you need to be paid for it in order for it to be a profession. Otherwise one could claim they're a professional shoelace tier or a doorknob inspector.

Unfortunately, I've come to the conclusion that your lack of friends seems to stem from an inability to relate to others and the ill conceived belief that you're superior to everyone around you. I would strongly recommend that you try to treat people as peers rather than peasants, and gain an understanding that other people's opinions and abilities are able to hold equal value to your own. I sort of know about these kinds of things, I've been in the field for a good six years now.

However, you use virtually every "unusual" word incorrectly, much like you've found a thesaurus and peppered your language with uncommonly used words. There's also a great number of simple grammatical and syntax errors in your writing. Whilst I appreciate that English is not your first language, I would recommend learning basic grammar before attempting to use such complex language. To be professional, it really does need to be your job i.e you need to be paid for it in order for it to be a profession. Otherwise one could claim they're a professional shoelace tier or a doorknob inspector.

Unfortunately, I've come to the conclusion that your lack of friends seems to stem from an inability to relate to others and the ill conceived belief that you're superior to everyone around you. I would strongly recommend that you try to treat people as peers rather than peasants, and gain an understanding that other people's opinions and abilities are able to hold equal value to your own. I sort of know about these kinds of things, I've been in the field for a good six years now.

D:

I never treat people like peasents. I treat them like that IF THE WANT me to treat them like that - for example they wish to hurt me somehow for they expect to advantage me over via their own "flairs"... I give them initiative pretty much when it's about being like that: once I understand they are pointless to talk to, I just fade away from their lifes and they'll never have my friendship anymore (my motto is "once wrong, once only").

I really cannot comprhend how is that possible that my English would be so full of syntax errors... I mean, it's quite understandable what I typewrite. Also I study English since I was 13 and I learnt it all by myself via mingling with people in online videogaming and through reading articles dedicated to various matters so... or I'm really that scarce, or it's just common sense today to mash keyboard buttons to generate dull words. D:

I'm picky and defensive that is true D: But that doesn't mean I don't let other breath a fresh blast of heavenly air :D

Edited by edza90

Actually I'm a professional (read proficous and quite skilled due to lot of experience in the sector, yet not paid due to so many factors) articolist1 and I tend to use those kind of words2 that regular-brained ones3 don't use, for, you known... they don't read and study like 10 books in a month, alongside lot's4 of documents about this5 and that that6 finish chunked up7 as documents to consult when necessary in special folders that the user created!

Never adopted8 Google Translator as a device to mean my words9!

Here's a few examples of mistakes you've made. It's understandable, but it's far from perfect.

1. Articolist isn't a word, the closest there is phonetically is articulist, which is a term in dentistry. Columnist or another term for author would have been more appropriate.

2. Awkwardly phrased. Those kinds of words would have fit better, but even then the phrasing is poor.

3. Use of ones without defining what ones were. Regular-brained is a phrase that is never used.

4. Use of apostrophe is incorrect.

5. Use of this without definition of target, this and that that is not an expression used at all by speakers.

6. Repetition of that, see above.

7. Chunked up is also a phrase never used, compiled would have been a better choice.

8. Adopted implies something that has been taken on or has begun to be used as a long term measure, it's rarely used for single actions or in the case of negative use.

9. Mean my words is again a phrase that is never used. A more literal "translate words for me" would work better.

This isn't intended to berate you, but I'd still recommend evaluating your own attitude. I feel you'll do better in the long term if you're able to improve your social skills

Edited by Shin

I can safely concur on that one. I have a much harder time socializing with people who can't speak (or write) english.

Here's how interaction (to me) works: I gotta be able to understand you. If I can't see things from your point of view/can't understand what you're trying to communicate, I won't know how to respond. I suspect this holds true for many other people besides me.

I really cannot comprhend how is that possible that my English would be so full of syntax errors... I mean, it's quite understandable what I typewrite. Also I study English since I was 13 and I learnt it all by myself via mingling with people in online videogaming and through reading articles dedicated to various matters so... or I'm really that scarce, or it's just common sense today to mash keyboard buttons to generate dull words. D:

Well there's yer problem.

I actually haven't had any trouble understanding you while lurking this thread, but I also frequent boards with many, many non-native English speakers. You do have problems with awkward phrasing. I would suggest you just simplify your language. As someone who speaks English as a first language, I will use a wide range of words because I know how, for instance, "mingling" is different from "talking," even though in this case their literal meaning is the same. If you don't speak English on the level of a native speaker, it's generally better to use simple words for their literal meaning. People will look past the bluntness of how you say things. But when you use more complex language, the connotations of the words gets carried along, and suddenly you don't communicate what you intend to. I don't really know how you could fix that, either, without utterly immersing yourself in the language for decades. That's how the rest of us got to learn the language, after all.

Going back to the attitude thing: I understand a feeling at least similar to what edza is describing, I think. Last night, I went to a friend's birthday party. Another friend and I basically spent the whole time either talking to his parents (we sat with them at dinner) or watching the other kids and then just looking at each other and laughing because of the way we've talked about human interaction before. We had this conversation afterwards that I know would have sounded really pretentious to other people - phrases got thrown around like "it's just so petty" and "I think on a higher level." But it doesn't come from snobbery. We quite literally have had four hour conversations about death and god and art, and we watch people and examine human behavior. Meanwhile, everyone else talks about their hair and where they buy their clothes and they're texting and snapchatting constantly. It sound so arrogant to say "I think on a deeper level than them," but there is a very real disconnect. Frankly it makes having friends hard because I don't even really know how to interact with normal people, and so I willingly have very few friends. I've got like three friends total, plus this girl who I think has adopted me to replace her brother who went off to college. It's really not meant to be pretentious. It's not like this "deeper level" is a better level, but it's not exactly inaccurate to say that I have few friends because most people are too petty for me to be able to interact with them in a casual way. Because for me "my neighbor tried to kill herself yesterday" is actually a good conversation starter and "I like your haircut" is as good a conversation starter as throwing your poop at me.

Well, that was a bit more than I meant to write. Oops.

I surely am learning by other people experiences here! Looks like I've hit the spot this time - and I won't be charged for that. Admittedly I don't exit from my own house a lot phisically, but still I think that reading what I'm watching now through the screen is quite constructive.

Awkward phrasing? I consider it more like "original". You know, I read a lot, so I can't miss to quote something I remember about or try to emulate those kind of quasi-nouns or quasi-verbs I found around - English is so vast, why to limit yourself with it whilst you're limiting yourself already with people?

Sure I commit some very feeble and whoozy mistakes here and there, but it's due to fast typing or sheer distraction or ignorance - the longer the word, the worse usually!

However, this is the internet, not a specified document so pivotal that it has to be the most clear one to other to indentify at, so I think I can allow myself here to excess a little - in real life I would be much more humble, like... hallways (pun intended, just try to catch it with a net) :D

Surely you here would prefer this kind of over-the-top searched language instead of mobile-phone like messages that are totally ungraspable.

Edited by edza90

Awkward phrasing? I consider it more like "original". You know, I read a lot, so I can't miss to quote something I remember about or try to emulate those kind of quasi-nouns or quasi-verbs I found around - English is so vast, why to limit yourself with it whilst you're limiting yourself already with people?

I'm not sure you're getting the point. It's original yes, nobody else uses phrasing like that... because it's wrong and generally considered poor English. It's not really limiting yourself as much as being incorrect. It's like driving a car permanently in second gear and calling yourself a driving prodigy because nobody else does.

I surely am learning by other people experiences here! Looks like I've hit the spot this time - and I won't be charged for that. Admittedly I don't exit from my own house a lot physically, but still I think that reading what I'm watching now through the screen is quite constructive.

Sure I commit some very feeble and whoozy mistakes here and there, but it's due to fast typing or sheer distraction or ignorance - the longer the word, the worse usually!

However, this is the internet, not a specified document so pivotal that it has to be the most clear one to other to indentify at, so I think I can allow myself here to excess a little - in real life I would be much more humble, like... hallways (pun intended, just try to catch it with a net) :D

Surely you here would prefer this kind of over-the-top searched language instead of mobile-phone like messages that are totally ungraspable.

While I applaud you for wanting to use good English and fluffy words there is are a few points I want to make:

• Using huge vocabulary words or likely thesaurus'd language makes you look either out of touch, pretentious or like you're trying way too hard to seem smart to some people.
  • "Poetic license" is great as long as people understand what you're saying and you aren't grating people's nerves by being damn confusing.
  • If you think of writing and sentence composition and words as tools in a toolbox, you generally want to master the craft before trying to use the big tools. Don't want to lose a thumb trying to fit in those three-four syllable words into a sentence, no do you?
  • I could be biased because I'm a strict minimalist, but it's more a testament to your vocab and grammar skills when you can be concise in how you speak, using the perfect word rather than the overly-verbose one.

As much as I cringe at "U 2 dun understand m3 dawg lulzuosalwdmaf!!!1!" I also cringe when I see stuff like:

What are you actually saying here? A specified document so pivotal it has to be clearly indented? This screams lack of solid understanding of the vocabulary used and skews context. You don't "excess", it is a noun or an adjective. You can allow yourself some excess or simply allow yourself excess, but you're what? "Excessing"? And are hallways humble?

I don't get it, and it's not because you're weaving some linguistic maze, it's because I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

I think you're missing the part where others need to understand you (which means that you need to speak plainly, not show off your knowledge of the dictionary). If you're unable to see things from their point of view, and adjust accordingly, I have no idea what else to say to you.

I also looked up the username to make sure he's not a troll, he seems to do a lot of the same shit elsewhere. From my results, I've seen the nick edza90 on a bunch of Latvian websites and it's pretty clear to me he's using Google Translate for a lot of this. Unless he's really multilingual and getting the syntax of every single language confused.

I also translated the Latvian sites to English via Google Translate to make sure the syntax matches up - and I see the same awkward syntax as edza90. Unless edza90 is a common username (doubtful, but google only gave me four pages of results to begin with.

I'd either recommend he learn the language without Google Translate (good luck buddy) or getting your languages straight. I don't know if you know a bunch of languages and get the syntax confused (although I know many multilingual people who are good about avoiding that) or if you just straight up don't know English, but if I had to guess I'd guess the latter.

edza90, it's nice you're trying to be apart of the community, but your syntax can be awkward at times, and other times you outright make zero sense; it also gets tiring to sift through your posts to understand what you mean. Whatever you're trying is not sustainable in any English-speaking community in the long-run, and I'm surprised someone here hasn't completely flipped a shit on you.

Edited by Lord Raven

I think you're missing the part where others need to understand you (which means that you need to speak plainly, not show off your knowledge of the dictionary). If you're unable to see things from their point of view, and adjust accordingly, I have no idea what else to say to you.

how am i spamming but he isn't? saying something like this:

and pretending like you're some sort of linguistic wizard means, at least to me, that you're trolling. how should i express this, then? should i say, "Why are so many people falling for this trollbait," to get my point across? if so, is there really a difference here and what i said above?

edit: in addition, given what raven said, he should first learn english if he really is just trying to be a part of this forum. i don't have issues with that. i do have issues with this board being spammed with topics that make very little to no sense.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

1. You think it's trollbait. Fine. You should've expressed what you JUST posted in place of that one-line post that sounded like a bad meme.

2. If Raven's research is true, then I need the opinions of the other mods on this.

Lol Latvian... I'm Italian dude! "Edza" it's the way I named "Byuu" from Bahamut Lagoon the first time I played it and I understood nothing about English Language! So baft!

Edited by edza90

• 3 weeks later...