All I Need is Him - A Short Narrative

My entire life, I have been discriminated against. Insulted by my peers. Criticized by my parents. I have always been a disappointment to my family. My parents and brothers refuse to talk to me unless it is necessary. They are so embarrassed by me, they don't even let me leave my room except for school. So many nights, spent staring at the walls. So many nights, wasted in complete boredom.

However, even through all this, I have never been alone. Whenever I feel lonely, he comes. He enters through the window each night. We hold each other, and he comforts me with sweet, soothing words.Thanks to him, I am never lonely for too long. I love him, and he loves me.

He first came to me when I was only 5. I told my parents about him, but they didn't believe me. They said he was only in my imagination. It made me angry, but, as every night, he came and calmed me. It doesn't matter if they don't believe in him. I know he is real. He was my only real friend, and I bragged about our wonderful relationship to all the other kids at school.They also though I was lying. But it didn't matter, because I know.

My parents locked me in my room after that, and I began my life of supposed solitude. There is never a single night that he misses coming through that window and holding me, kissing me, making sweet love to me. Everyone thinks I am a freak, but I know the truth. I have one man to thank for my happiness, and so I thank him every night.

"Shrek is love," I say. "Shrek is life."