115 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use save states?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering I don't play on emulators, no. I might use them when I get around to playing the older FE games, but for now I don't have the option, and I really don't feel like save states would enhance the experience much.

If the "battle save option" (like it exist in FE10 and 13) count as well, then no for the most part!

In FE10 I only save during the map, if someone gets an amazing level up. This happens very rarely. In FE13 I never have used it.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

I use them all the time. If I am trying to do say a 2 turn clear of FE8 final chapter with Lyon, then sure. First turn Artur bombs a stalfos in front of Lyon for me to warp in Vanessa and procure a critical pierce. It is so simple, but still prone to restarts and save state simply means I do not have to restart as much. Restarting until I get a rig anyway I am just wasting my time in life.

I was using save stats only when I was playing FE5 first time. Because when you play FE5 first time, there is too much bullshit.

Overall I don't use it, because there is no reason to do that. Even if few of my units are RNG screwed you always have prepromoted units in EVERY fe game. If one of my unit get killed that mean you have placed it in wrong place, not "OMG RNG HATES ME!!!1111".

I used to use save states to quite a massive degree, but nowadays I just use them in case of the emulator crashing. I just don't feel that the run is legit if I use save states that aren't a part of the actual game.

Occasionally.

I find the option of rigging the dice to be way too tempting when it is so easily available at any time. Fortunately I do find it easy to ignore it in RD since I never quite fully internalized that the option is even there.

Edited by BrightBow

They're, obviously, great, practical additions.

Personally, I prefer not using them. It just makes things alot easier...even if they are things, like, FE6's HM. It kind of takes away an important aspect of strategy and *stuffstuff*.

Usually only in-between chapters to make restarting a quicker affair; though in FE4 I'll use them more liberally because of the "save every turn" feature.

People who use save states (apart from RNG abusing to save a turn, for example) are bad players.

Why would RNG abusing be okay to use savestates for but not other things? If your strategy requires RNG abuse heavy enough to warrant using savestates, it's a bad strategy.

I'm against using savestates for RNG abuse. It just doesn't seem genuine enough to me to warrant my using it.

But then again, if the game throws me a massive pile of bullshit (saving all of the green units in FE6 10B), then I'm not above playing dirty

Only in GBA and SNES games. sometimes if i want to play "the way its meant to be played" I abstain from save states only there. I usually use them something like every 5 turns or on a decisive turn.

Why would RNG abusing be okay to use savestates for but not other things? If your strategy requires RNG abuse heavy enough to warrant using savestates, it's a bad strategy.

The distinction is between a planned chapter attempt and a not planned chapter attempt. If you're just trying to clear a chapter, and you need to save state abuse to clear that chapter and rig a unit's survival, for example, that's pretty pathetic and an indication of low skill. But if you're trying to clear a chapter with a very specific purpose that requires RNG abuse, then that's not so bad. Is it an indication of low skill to get a 1% crit for a low turn count? To claim otherwise is idiotic.

Bolded part: a bad opinion. A strategy that is planned and requires RNG abuse is not necessarily a bad strategy, and I doubt anyone would agree with that. Look at the above example of getting a 1% crit to get a low turn count. LTC strategies that require RNG abuse aren't bad strategies:

Edited by Chiki

I answered yes, but only when I wanted to play FE7 HHM without playing the other modes myself first. Other than that, I never touch save states. I prefer to play the game on my own.

If you're just trying to clear a chapter, and you need to save state abuse to clear that chapter and rig a unit's survival, for example, that's pretty pathetic and an indication of low skill.

Wow. Thanks. I guess I'm "pretty pathetic" and have "low skill."

Sorry, but that's the truth.

I used to do that when I was really young too. There's always room to improve.

Edited by Chiki

Sorry, but that's the truth.

I used to do that when I was really young too. There's always room to improve.

I don't have the time to replay entire chapters because of one little mistake. That's why I also state before Final Fantasy bosses. I don't have the time to replay it like that.

"Pretty pathetic" is a charged opinion (that I would disagree with), not truth, but if you're constantly using it, I guess it could be an indication of lack of skill (though who cares it's a single player strategy game LOL)

I sometimes allow myself one save state per chapter, since I really enjoyed 11/12's save system.