FE: Awakening ROM decrypted and extracted

VincentASM

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean in this thread?

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure we don't have any model hackers around here : P

I mean, I've done my part by asking someone who could help. However I'm not sure if/when they'll get around to it, since they've got a lot of other games to cover and stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a guide to install Gateway 3.0 Ultra BETA: http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/286487-3DS-N3DS-Gateway-Ultra-Guide

Your 3DS has to be between v4.X-v9.2 to use this guide. 9.3 and above will not work. Oh and New3DS doesn't have support yet, but that's probably because too many people were whining about wanting a release so Gateway had no choice but to release a BETA version of 3.0.

EmuNAND is available and you don't have to be on v4.X to use it.

Some emuNAND FAQs and emuNAND updating guide:

What is emuNAND?

- It is the NAND found inside your SD card(the big SD card) if you do a "Format emuNAND" on Gateway Menu

What is the relation of sysNAND and emuNAND?
- The 3DS runs on sysNAND normally. Once you do "Format emuNAND" on Gateway Menu, the 3DS creates a copy of sysNAND to your SD card, the NAND on your SD card is what we call now the emuNAND.

It is safe to update the emuNAND?
- Yes, you can update emuNAND but only on Gateway Mode "System Setting"
- Always check the FW version before updating, if you see "GW3D", then it's time for safe emuNAND Updating
- If you don't see "GW3D", then don't update
- DONT UPDATE on Classic Mode
- DONT UPDATE using a Cartridge
- DONT UPDATE on eShop

What is the advantage of emuNAND
- You can go to eShop and buy games on both Gateway Mode & Classic Mode but make sure you're on latest FW, if not, update the emuNAND on Gateway Mode first.
- You can run your Retail Carts again (only on Classic Mode)

Can I set up emuNAND even though i dont have GateWay 3DS?
- Yes, you can setup your emuNAND by downloading files on GateWay 3DS site, use DS flashcart on installing the exploit, then put launcher.dat on your big SD Card
- But as of 2.0 Omega, you cant boot on Gateway Mode without the Red Card (The Gateway 3DS Flashcart)

The contents I bought/got from eShop using emuNAND was deleted after going to sysNAND's Data Management?

- If you already have emuNAND and want to check Data Management, check it on emuNAND, DON'T check Data Management using sysNAND because all the contents in your SD will be deleted. But don't worry, you can download it again on emuNAND's eShop, but your eShop game save data cannot be retained any more. That's why, it's better to have a full SD card back up.

For more information (some info may not be updated for Gateway 3.0 Ultra): http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/281871-Gateway-3DS-Modes-Safety-amp-FAQ-s

Edited by Linkmstr

Same, updated the Gateway Red Card earlier, now getting a 32 GB SD Card ready to backup roms and try that thing Rey showed here one time: http://gbatemp.net/threads/decrypt-re-encrypt-saves-for-most-games-sort-of.364522/

Don't know if Gateway's save dumping also decrypts it or not, so will try that method also.

Same, updated the Gateway Red Card earlier, now getting a 32 GB SD Card ready to backup roms and try that thing Rey showed here one time: http://gbatemp.net/threads/decrypt-re-encrypt-saves-for-most-games-sort-of.364522/

Don't know if Gateway's save dumping also decrypts it or not, so will try that method also.

Gateway's save dumping does not decrypt saves, sadly. It's suppose to be used to backup saves. There is savedatafiler that can decrypt and extract saves from both physical and digital copies of games, but it only works in GW Mode (emuNAND) and it can only decrypt and extract saves from digital copies of games since GW Mode only reads Gateway's Red Card and not retail cards. No, you can't extract Gateway saves using savedatafiler. Also, savedatafiler doesn't work in Classic Mode.

Edited by Linkmstr

Gateway's save dumping does not decrypt saves, sadly. It's suppose to be used to backup saves. There is savedatafiler that can decrypt and extract saves from both physical and digital copies of games, but it only works in GW Mode (emuNAND) and it can only decrypt and extract saves from digital copies of games since GW Mode only reads Gateway's Red Card and not retail cards. No, you can't extract Gateway saves using savedatafiler. Also, savedatafiler doesn't work in Classic Mode.

Ah, by digital copies does that mean a backed up Rom/Save put onto the Red Card? (nvm, Red Card saves go to the SD Card) Regardless, I'll look into that later. I have an extra 3DS that I wouldn't mind running emuNAND (and if that downgrading to 4.5 becomes true later, I'll do it on that one)

So I did did the other method of creating a rom that saves with the old style. So I created two different *.sav files. First one is everything default on Avatar creation and saved on first save screen. Second .sav file is also the same, but hair color 2 is chosen. I'm curious as to where the files are different in comparison. I don't know of a fast way to check yet, and I"m really tired, so I'll just upload them here if anybody wants to poke around to see what a small save file is like.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/isze9jpw57a9jck/00040000000A0500.sav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8fcrfqvtlcga9c/00040000000A0500%20%28Hair%202%29.sav?dl=0

From what I understand, they're still encrypted, but in an older format that 3DSExplorer can read. I haven't used this at all, so I wanna learn how to edit a save file using this.

EDIT: Whoops, First save didn't save properly, there's nothing in the root. Gotta redo it. Okay fixed. Now I see how you do it. In the ROOT File there are files that say "ChapterX" and "Global". Okay I'll extract those two and compare em.

http://puu.sh/ejS7v/9518ba660a.png

EDIT No. Not going to bed: So I did that and used this FlexHEX to compare these two Chapter0 (Premonition) files.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cu1vt19py2ehbtf/Chapter0%20Hair1?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pd8xo352g6dv1u9/Chapter0%20Hair2?dl=0

Seems like it can read the save file. http://puu.sh/ejSWt/2e04fc488e.png

From 00000000 to 000003F0 it's the same, then from 00000400 to 00000480 they have a block of differences.

Top is Hair Type 1 file, bottom is Hair Type 2 file.

http://puu.sh/ejTi9/ae1edc7928.png

Then after that is a whole bunch of miscellaneous things here and there, then another big difference chunk at the end.

So yeah, I'm going to go to sleep now. Man I care too much about figuring out where the value for hair color is saved.

Edited by Jacien

Nice. I can't wait to see how the hacking progresses.

At the moment, the main thing I'm wondering: is it possible to edit the ROM as a whole file and get it to run? I remember somebody saying it might cause checksum issues though.

If you can, it would circumvent the issue with ctrtool not unpacking the Japanese-named files properly.

(Just be sure to use a modern hex editor so you can't break your PC trying to load a 1+ GB file)

So yeah, I'm going to go to sleep now. Man I care too much about figuring out where the value for hair color is saved.

Don't worry, we'll all got our weird priorities : P

See, I was thinking about this last night, and it got me wondering about a few things.

Firstly, and maybe most simply, is there a female Soldier class programmed into the game? There's concept art for both male and female soldiers, and you even see a female Soldier in one of Lucina's flashback cutscenes, but never in gameplay.
On this same note, are there both male and female generic class portraits, or are there only the ones that are used in-game (which would be only males for most classes plus females for a few of them)?

Secondly, has anyone figured out how reclass sets are programmed? I'd imagine they're not hardcoded to character IDs, because that would (probably?) make setting up the children's class inheritance a lot harder. Basically what I'm asking is would it in theory be possible to modify a character's reclass set within a file? And- and I understand this is jumping the gun a lot- if that character was MU, would their modded reclass set be retained in another player's game if they got them via StreetPass?

I like to help out too, as soon as I figure out and set up emuNAND and BigBlueMenu. I have no programming knowledge, but I'd love to help test things!

Edited by Bunny5390

On this same note, are there both male and female generic class portraits, or are there only the ones that are used in-game (which would be only males for most classes plus females for a few of them)?

only ones that are actually used in the game - that is, just the dark knight and swordmaster. there's also no unused generic class portraits for classes which never show up among generic enemies

only ones that are actually used in the game - that is, just the dark knight and swordmaster. there's also no unused generic class portraits for classes which never show up among generic enemies

I kinda figured. And a quick check of the complete overworld sprite dump shows that there are no female Soldiers, either, although the male ones do have a kinda neat unused "hover over" animation.

Also, somewhat inefficiently, the same sprite sheets are there twice for classes that don't have varied overworld sprites between genders (Knights, Generals and the horseback classes). Is there some reason IS can't/doesn't just set the two class entries to load the same overworld sprite sheet?

Edited by Starlight36

Also, somewhat inefficiently, the same sprite sheets are there twice for classes that don't have varied overworld sprites between genders (Knights, Generals and the horseback classes). Is there some reason IS can't/doesn't just set the two class entries to load the same overworld sprite sheet?

fe13's graphic storage seems extremely inefficient in so many ways. the map sprites are stored internally in all three affiliation colours rather than recolouring them on the fly like the gba games, instantly tripling their file sizes. with the sole exception of adding blushing, all portrait expression configurations are already pre-made rather than having separated mouth and eye parts to put on top like every other fe game from the gba era onward does. sure, 3ds cart size offers them a bit of wiggle room, but all this seems really unnecessary and could've potentially made things harder for the devs

frankly, it's a miracle every single avatar/child hair colour configuration isn't in the form of pre-made sprite sheets (the one time this would've been useful... :P)

Secondly, has anyone figured out how reclass sets are programmed? I'd imagine they're not hardcoded to character IDs, because that would (probably?) make setting up the children's class inheritance a lot harder. Basically what I'm asking is would it in theory be possible to modify a character's reclass set within a file? And- and I understand this is jumping the gun a lot- if that character was MU, would their modded reclass set be retained in another player's game if they got them via StreetPass?

As far as we know, Reclass sets are saved for each character--and each character has a male and female Reclass set. Normally the character only uses their gender's Reclass set, while the other Reclass set is used for their opposite-gender children.

In fact, the character editor modules allow you to (theoretically) modify Reclass sets.

No clue about the last question; it depends how the save data works.

Edited by VincentASM

fe13's graphic storage seems extremely inefficient in so many ways. the map sprites are stored internally in all three affiliation colours rather than recolouring them on the fly like the gba games, instantly tripling their file sizes. with the sole exception of adding blushing, all portrait expression configurations are already pre-made rather than having separated mouth and eye parts to put on top like every other fe game from the gba era onward does. sure, 3ds cart size offers them a bit of wiggle room, but all this seems really unnecessary and could've potentially made things harder for the devs

If they didn't make the map sprites that way then gimmicks like Masked Lucina wouldn't be able to work.

And yes, I felt that there was so much lost potential with, well...

Actual poses instead of expression changes.

As far as we know, Reclass sets are saved for each character--and each character has a male and female Reclass set. Normally the character only uses their gender's Reclass set, while the other Reclass set is used for their opposite-gender children.

In fact, the character editor modules allow you to (theoretically) modify Reclass sets.

No clue about the last question; it depends how the save data works.

I suppose the children kinda make it obvious enough how it's set up, but I guess the good news here is that modifying reclass sets is a thing that can be done without getting too hardcore (by 3DS hacking standards, at least).

Also, I... want to say that Einherjar!Tiki and the Marth triad support different/unique reclass data being retained for extra characters? Have people found out how Einherjar and StreetPass characters are saved in relation to each other? There doesn't seem to be much of a distinction, gameplay-wise, other than the Einherjar glowing in battle and using the character's official art on a card as their portraits. And even then that's more a graphical/aesthetic distinction than a gameplay one.

Edited by Starlight36

If they didn't make the map sprites that way then gimmicks like Masked Lucina wouldn't be able to work.

...no? mask!lucina is a separate set of map sprites from normal!lucina, and if they were to simplify the game's handling thereof by only storing each map sprite in a single colour to be recoloured as necessary in gameplay, that'd have exactly zero effect on the existence of mask!lucina's map sprite. changing this wouldn't necessitate changing the fact that mask!lucina's sprite exists by any stretch of the imagination

...no? mask!lucina is a separate set of map sprites from normal!lucina, and if they were to simplify the game's handling thereof by only storing each map sprite in a single colour to be recoloured as necessary in gameplay, that'd have exactly zero effect on the existence of mask!lucina's map sprite. changing this wouldn't necessitate changing the fact that mask!lucina's sprite exists by any stretch of the imagination

Really? I just assumed that since Mask!Lucina appears if her base class was used in an enemy Streetpass team that the two were tied to the same sheet somehow.

Now this is just getting confusing. I'm really starting to question Intellegent Systems's design choice for this game more than I already do.