For Glory observations

Florete

Nah its not unluckiness. Its bad fucking lag from bad internet connections in the US, because it always gets laggy with Western/American names. If its not movement lag, its input lag. Its a pattern ive noticed simply playing For Fun as well. Its pretty bad when guys with moon runes for names never lag even with items and scrolling stages, but a 1v1 or team fight in FG with no moon runes lags so bad, you cant function. Yet more moon rune names i play with, the less lag actually happens. When i look on Spectate, i notice most of the matches/people online im gonna get paired with are on the East Coast of the US.

I personally experience this quite frequently when I play on the 3DS version. Whenever I was in a room with 3 japanese players, it was near flawless playing with them and I had a genuine great experience playing with them. Online worked flawless. Then when it was daytime and I played with players with English player names, I get so much lag it's barely even playable. Same applies to 1 on 1 or 2 vs 2 with local friend.

Edited by kingddd

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone needs to use a Wii Lan Adapter. $10 only. You just need to have your router close to the wii.

wut. I 3DS.

Speaking of FG, its easy to see who has to rely on guys like Bowser. And those guys are easy to punish. I still need to get down how to punish counters though.

wut. I 3DS.

Speaking of FG, its easy to see who has to rely on guys like Bowser. And those guys are easy to punish. I still need to get down how to punish counters though.

A lot of bad players do gravitate toward heavy-hitters like Bowser, but it's also partially just how heavyweights play. When you're playing Ganondorf, for example, you're inevitably going to take a lot more hits than you dish out. He's slow and awkward and a huge target. Even good players using Ganondorf feel a little noobish, since their opponent will likely be dominating them most of the match. But that's the way the game goes; a heavyweight player is by no means worse just because they land fewer hits. Hard-hitters are designed to strike less often, and it takes considerable skill to land the handful of solid hits it takes a heavyweight to kill someone more agile than them. A lot of prediction is needed to punish with someone like Ganondorf, Bowser, or Ike. That said, as someone who likes stronger characters, even I sometimes have to remind myself that being constantly combo'd for the slightest slip-up is not necessarily a result of the other player being vastly superior.

As for dealing with counters, the key is to never be too predictable. Don't always attack when you approach an opponent, or while edgeguarding. I know loads of people like using counters while recovering, or while falling into an opponent's attempted juggle, since those are the times people attack most predictably. Counters are a certainly a great way to punish predictable opponents, but they also leave you wide open if you predict incorrectly. If you find yourself getting countered a lot, try to throw in empty jumps when you approach your opponent to bait out the counter. Then punish, hard. Your opponent will likely be a lot more reluctant to counter in the future. If you don't feel comfortable timing punish attacks in the brief window after the counter stops but before the opponent can retaliate, then just grab them mid-counter. Grabs are great for counter spammers, since they don't require quite as much commitment and such precise timing. While counters can certainly be annoying, they actually can give you some great insight as to when your play gets repetitive.

wut. I 3DS.

Eww, 3DS For Glory. I can only imagine how bad that is.

I've noticed that on the Wii U, people who actually bother to put a tag on are usually better than average. Better than average is still pretty bad.

i've encountered plenty of dededes.

Olimar and Falco on the other hand....

Falco, i encounter regularly. Olimar, never. But i do not see Dededes...

Loki was it me?!!!!

Nej.

I did encounter the same Captain Falcon main last night from a series of matches from earlier in the week. I found that highly interesting and now i feel like i share some sort of bond with this guy.

Recently I've been going on Teams more than 1v1 and noticed that while Link and other projectile characters are common in 1v1, Jigglypuff seems really common in 2v2. Anyone else noticed this?

Also I noticed that turning off Power-Saving Mode affects online lag.

Predict, bait, grab, PUNISH.

Your name is "Craptain Fabulous".

You know that is no way to punish counter spammers.

You must punish them in the Trinity of Manliness:

1. (Safest) Up B YESZ from Falcon

2. (Semi-Safe Knockback if you screw up) Knee of Justice

3. (You die if you screw up the timing) Falcon Punch

Speaking about counter spam, no one I face realizes how countering Falcon/Warlock Punch is more rewarding than rolling back. I've landed more hits with those two moves than getting hit by would-be-devastating counters.

Also all of the Dr. Mario players I've faced don't realize that his F-air doesn't dunk. I also see them try to cape for recovering, which doesn't work anymore. They pretty much play the clone like it's the exact same character.

Edited by Kiseki

Speaking of Falcon punches, I had a Mario cape himself into one that was facing away from him a few days back

I've seen no character more that Mario, and they all continuously spam uptilt even when it's not hitting after down throw.

I encountered my first Diddy, since I got smash3DS, last night on 4glorie, while I was DDD. He did the same shit for the entire match; fire popgun, pull banana, try to hit me with it, grab me, throw into [i guess it's] Fair, and if he misses, rush to the other side of the stage and repeat. I gave him a run for his money, dragging the match to 4 seconds in remaining time, but it just got really boring.

Had a blast pummeling with DDD though. Outranging Link's swordarm with DDD's ftilt is so satisfying, and I even landed an offstage DownB that I accidentally performed while trying to Gordo that a greninja just ran into at high speed while trying to spike me. Smashed into the side of Pacman stage and he bounced off and was KO'd sidescreen

I've been onto a couple of good Luigis that kept me some trouble but then they failed against Rosaluma and Luma Shot, cuz 2>1 amirite. There was also a Shiek that was reluctant to switch or change its strategy because I 2 stocked her with a bunch of characters. Asides from Luigi, Shiek, there are also a lot of Falcons and DDDs.

Edit: also, I've been using Wii Fit Trainer and have a soft spot for her.

Edited by Quintessence

I've also been seeing a fair bit more Samus players. Pretty competent ones too

The only Samus players I face roll away and charge Charge Beam and will constantly avoid me. Then they'll barrage me with missiles before firing the Charge Shot and it's annoying as Link's Boomerang spam.

I see them just as often as Link/Toon Link these days.

I main Samus in ForGlory, and apparently throw people off by playing a hyperclose game with a full chargeshot in my pocket. You'd be amazed at the amount of caution other players use when i charge them, throw them and do shorthops with my glowing beam cannon. People just assume you're going to fire under normal circumstances and ready their shields, and it's fairly easy to chaingrab after a shorthop or at least Zair and knock them back a bit to maintain a distance that would benefit firing a shot/missile. The mind games for her work pretty wonderfully on Glory at least.

She's pretty exploitable, what with her Beam cannon losing its charge if she's hit while preparing to fire (which i think is so awful, since i don't think anyone else loses their charge shot like WFT!Sun) and her incredibly slow rollspeed. Her offstage recovery is pretty limited though, if she's knocked back far. She's predictable in that she'll either use bombs or not, and when close she might Z2Ledge, but often times Samus's don't even do that. Also, her JabJab combo is extremely awful and easy to counter when you're being hit by it and at like 70%. The first jab often knocks back too far for the second to even connect. Any character with decent reach or a projectile can punish Samus's 2nd jab delay.

Still obvs my favorite smasher to ever smash as. Spam DownA and DownSmash as whoever you are to punish roll-heavy Samus players, and work hard with Shorthop approaches since SuperMissile and lessercharged Charge Beams don't have a super tall hit box (for reference, it /barely/ exceeds her height when standing still). Get her into the air and keep her there, and you'll have a good chance of beating her. Her fall approach game is very bad (DownA pls, Bomb plz) and her hit boxes on her Nair and Bair i don't think even hit below her. Fair hits below her after like .7 seconds, (the flamethrower) but only like wayyyy in front of her.

I had a good time with a decent Luigi in FG. Kinda rare to see weegee. Some guys get bold and use Ganny or other tricky characters. I love it when they do. I notice that people gang up in Little Macs.