How do you feel about collectors edition games?

EricaofRenais

So I seem to not be able to get the MM special edition because they are all sold out. I will just buy the regular one and then get the Skull Kid figure coming out in July. I really like collectors editions but I don't always have the money and I was wondering how other people feel about it? Do you think they are worth it? Atlus seems to come out with one for every game that they come out with and they are not all that good at least the ones I have bought. I guess I have never bought one that is really good, but are there ones that are worth it?

i bought one "collector's edition" game once, ever.

it was the world in conflict collector's edition.

it came with some extra flavor documentation, a piece of the berlin wall, and a fucking sick box that i still have.

i put the box on my dresser and told myself not to open it until i got my driver's license.

shit was so worth it, man that game was good.

I'm torn with collector's edition pieces. For me I'll get a collectors edition only if its a series that I'm a long time fan of i.e Fire Emblem, Zelda, Starfox etc. Otherwise now in days with digital downloads becoming the norm I'm content with just getting a physical copy of the game with the manual. To me that's all I really need.

Edited by TacoMan42

Only game I got a collectors edition of was Fate/Extra for the PSP (good game).

I got some nifty art book, a music cd and a bigger box. Pretty legit.

I think this article http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/extra-punctuation/7114-Character-Design describes it best. I think the best collector's editions are those that come with multiple games, like The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Kirby's Dream Collection: Special Edition.

Edited by Zera

I only buy it if the game is something I really really like and I can afford it.

Otherwise I don't bother with it.

Collector Edition is just a special niche for fans.

The only collector edition I bought is the Lego Starwar ultimate collector edition. For game, it's just another way to milk the cow to death. Why bother when the new contents can be easily found or add via mod?

theyre cool, but ive never purchased one since theyre a waste of money. video games are expensive enough already.

Did you read the ones I mentioned? They cost no more than a regular game, which is why they're good.

Did you read the ones I mentioned? They cost no more than a regular game, which is why they're good.

yeah i did and i looked them up. theyre not what i was thinking of when i hear "collectors edition," theyre more a game compilation. thank you for bringing them to my attention anyway.

I don't mind collector's editions as long as they're cool and I'm able to get one. :P

Zelda: Skyward Sword counts, right? Because it came with the 25th Anniversary Zelda music CD as well as a gold Zelda themed Wii Remote. I kinda needed to get the collector's edition anyway because I didn't have any Wii remote plus remotes or attachments at the time.

Edited by Anacybele

Collector's editions are cool when they come with a physical extra, like the Skull Kid figure. I'd love to own more CEs from series I like, but I hardly ever pre-order anymore and those really sell quick in a lot of cases. The CE of Final Fantasy X was one I really wanted with the soundtrack and art book, and the combination of an OST + art book is really appealing to me in general for stuff like this.

i bought one "collector's edition" game once, ever.

it was the world in conflict collector's edition.

it came with some extra flavor documentation, a piece of the berlin wall, and a fucking sick box that i still have.

i put the box on my dresser and told myself not to open it until i got my driver's license.

shit was so worth it, man that game was good.

Damn, thats wiggy.

Im usually not arsed about collector's edition stuff. If i nab one (like the Zelda gamecube collector's collecting thing), its awesome, but i really dont go too far out of my way to get stuff like that.

To my knowledge, I have only purchased four Collector's Editions, those being Kirby's 20th Anniversary, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call, Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster, and, unfortunately, Sonic Lost World (Wii U).

I love Collector's Editions, personally, though I do not always actively pursue them, especially when they are difficult to obtain.

EDIT: I also purchased The Legend of Zelda: Skyward's Sword anniversary edition. That was completely worth it.

Edited by Glaceon10

I don't like most Collector's Editions, namely with the collectible stuff that's kinda useless. I got the Metal Gear Rising one with the OST and the lamp - the lamp is so cool and I mess around with it randomly so that was worth it.