• Other
  2. 2. Should stealing be put back in

• Yes, but its based on skill
    • Yes, but its based on speed
    • Yes, but have it always work
    • Yes, but base it on both speed and skill
    • Yes, but only trickster/rogue can do it
    • No, stealing is wrong
  3. 3. Should rogue be added in as a promotion for thief?

• Yes, with a focus on dodge tanking enemies
    • Yes, but only if stealing is added back in
    • Yes, but only if lockpicking is changed
    • Yes, for both 2nd and 3rd reasons
    • No, they're not needed

I'd say add lockpicks back in for first tier of thieves but let rogues/tricksters not need it. Also, add back in stealing and make it require a speed and skill check, and add back in rouge only if the lockpicking is changed and stealing is added back.

Edited by zerosabers

Screw lockpicks I hated carrying them around plus they break after like what? 18 uses? Stealing should come back as long as it works when you use it (you're already taking a risk having them next to an enemy unit that will probably kill it or take 2/3 or its HP with one hit). And Rogue class should come back with a focus on dodging (skill)

I actually like Tricksters more than Rogues, so I don't much care for the Rogue class. Stealing should totally return in its FE5/10 form, and only thieves and its promotions should be capable of it.

Make the ability to pick locks and steal free for all thief classes. Voted to have stealing work 100% of the time for free, as you are already committing an action for that unit. You probably had to make strategic considerations like being able to kill the one stolen from or isolate the victim so that the thief doesn't die.

Lockpick will probably come back as a skill; there's really no reason to make it back into an item. And YES, have stealing come back as long as it works 100% of the time. The RNG-Screw always strikes even if it's based off the Speed stat. (Unless you max it out... which will take some time.) I like both Rouges and Tricksters but I have a pretty big gut feeling that the Promotion system Awakening had will make a return...

"No, stealing is wrong"

That's funny xD

I voted no lockpicks, and base stealing on speed and skill. Even though I liked RD's steal system, where you could take something lighter than your strength from someone with lower speed, that wasn't an option so...

Oh and on the subject of thief promotions...was there a significant difference between rogue and assassin in the GBA series? Other than stats? I liked tricksters in Awakening but made Gaius an assassin and he kicked butt more than Anna. Might be because I didn't use the latter much though. In my fanworks I have a thief promotion called night striker that can use dark magic and knives/swords.

Edited by Dragoncat

"No, stealing is wrong"

That's funny xD

I voted no lockpicks, and base stealing on speed and skill. Even though I liked RD's steal system, where you could take something lighter than your strength from someone with lower speed, that wasn't an option so...

Oh and on the subject of thief promotions...was there a significant difference between rogue and assassin in the GBA series? Other than stats? I liked tricksters in Awakening but made Gaius an assassin and he kicked butt more than Anna. Might be because I didn't use the latter much though. In my fanworks I have a thief promotion called night striker that can use dark magic and knives/swords.

Thanks, and the biggest difference between assassin and rouge in GBA was rouge gets to pick without using a lockpick and keeps the steal on promotion, something the assassin losses. Other than that assassin got the silencer skill which is basically lethality that works on 1/2 the current crit chance. Also, the night striker class seems like maybe a 3rd tier for of trickster? Give them swords, dark magic, and a staff.

Thanks, and the biggest difference between assassin and rouge in GBA was rouge gets to pick without using a lockpick and keeps the steal on promotion, something the assassin losses. Other than that assassin got the silencer skill which is basically lethality that works on 1/2 the current crit chance. Also, the night striker class seems like maybe a 3rd tier for of trickster? Give them swords, dark magic, and a staff.

Assassin loses steal? That's screwed up. Is this in FE8 only though?

And huh. It would work as a 3rd tier, but it's not supposed to be. Shamans can also promote into it. I like the branching promotions deal.

I like lockpicks...

htP0JIB.png

*ahem* But having it as a skill alleviates some inventory issues, both unit inventory and convoy space. Stealing/rogues I'm neutral about. Unless I'm stealing lockpicks. :D

PS: it's "rogue", not "rouge"

I like lockpicks...

htP0JIB.png

*ahem* But having it as a skill alleviates some inventory issues, both unit inventory and convoy space. Stealing/rogues I'm neutral about. Unless I'm stealing lockpicks. :D

PS: it's "rogue", not "rouge"

Woops. Fixing that

Lockpicks were friggin' pointless; they're just an unneeded complication. Same thing with bringing back rogues when Tricksters had more of an identity other than just a slightly better thief.

Do some people actually pronounce rogue like rouge? C'mon people.

I always though it was dumb that Assassin's just lose their abilities in FE8, it really doesn't give much purpose to them.

Lockpick... we got hammer, magic, manakete, and we take down Generals. How much defense does a locked chest have?

If there's stealing, I'd like to rob a bank or Anna, she've been smiling for too long.

From thief to assassin... this job sure knows how to make a killing.

I liked Lockpicks, it made Thieves feel more "legit." and also made it so you couldn't have a stealing spree.

The stealing mechanic was something I really missed though. It was wonderful when you could steal Vulneraries, Elixirs, Promotion items. It made the game funner and Thieves have more utility than simply picking locks. It was a very niche utility class which I really liked.

lockpicks don't need to return; it's not like you ever ran out of them in GBAFE anyway

but steal should definitely return, including the option to steal weapons; this is another mechanic where weapon weight coming back is good so thieves can't, say, steal a sage's bolting tome willy-nilly

Lockpicks are superfluous. Lockpick is locked to thief, locktouch not. the difference? Assuming Gaius is only used to improve my units' movement and to collect treasures, then he will collect treasures and my combattants will fight. I wouldn't need Locktouch on a combat unit anyway (though thieves can become good combattants on FE13), so Gaius' role is actually there already. I don't think that introducing Lockpick as an item would bring much, given that I deploy thieves if I want the treasure. I found stealing a neat mechanic and I'd personally like it the most if there are some items that can be dropped but not stolen, and some others that work vice versa. I'm neutral about rogues, what weapons would they even have access to?

I personally didn't mind lockpicks as you could easily steal them from enemy thieves, but the exclusion of them in PoR was a nice little convenience. Removing stealing on the other hand was what made thieves in Awakening rather uninteresting to me as they had basically lost one of their defining features. I just saw them as walking lockpicks that learn maybe two or three skills worth using. Stealing should return because its what makes thieves...well, thieves. Plus, it'll encourage the player to strategize to get good items from enemies ala Radiant Dawn, which is also nice.

Stealing made sense in a game like Thracia, where it was almost mandatory to acquire weapons and recovery items from enemy units, since weapons are so expensive and gold scarce. It would still be nice to have it back, without the need for Lockpicks to open chests and doors. They should just have it as a skill.

Edited by DragonLord

Yeah rouge is a color. Purplish brown iirc. Noticed that but I knew what she meant...

And I doubt there's that many enemy thieves with lockpicks in FE6. Either there's a shop that sells them or hax, but anyway omg.

And I doubt there's that many enemy thieves with lockpicks in FE6. Either there's a shop that sells them or hax, but anyway omg.

Cass alone "gives" you one extra lockpick every time ypu need to talk to her so it's definitely possible to steal so many lockpicks (even though you could probably open literally every door and chest in the game and still have uses left on a second lockpick lol)

I voted "other" on lockpicks - I think they should be a skill innate to the thief and their promotions, just like stealing. That way, it's not a matter of "hey I need a bunch of combat units, and I'll slap this Locktouch skill on one of 'em so I can have my cake and eat it". Likewise, stealing should be something that thieves and their promotions do (complete with pair-up modifiers working on speed). I'm torn as to whether or not I'd like stealing to work like a weapon-neutral attack, with a base success rate of 30% or something. . .

Edited by eclipse

lets rig a successful steal so Walhart doesn't have his Wolfberg!

Wait, lets rig that on the General on C22.

/edit: nvm

Edited by Gradivus.

lets rig a successful steal so Walhart doesn't have his Wolfberg!

Wait, lets rig that on the General on C22.

Imagine rigging steals.

To get a bullion.

And having it fail.

Because screw the RNG.

There's a reason why stealing didn't work on equipped weapons, and I have no idea why you assumed that I wanted it to work on them.