The Reason for the Problems With Awakening

Topaz Light

Where are these "lots of people"? "Lots of people" at SF means nothing, as SF has a small userbase. The game was a hit.

Both of you guys have valid arguments. But there are plenty of people within the forums (i.e. most of this thread, to name some) who don't enjoy the game as much as others. Many prefer the mechanics of other games, such as the GBA games or the Tellius series, as opposed to Awakening, and the story was fairly weak. Almost every Fire Emblem fan outside of these forums is a much more casual fan, as opposed to the people here who often have a much deeper understanding of the series.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of you guys have valid arguments. But there are plenty of people within the forums (i.e. most of this thread, to name some) who don't enjoy the game as much as others. Many prefer the mechanics of other games, such as the GBA games or the Tellius series, as opposed to Awakening, and the story was fairly weak. Almost every Fire Emblem fan outside of these forums is a much more casual fan, as opposed to the people here who often have a much deeper understanding of the series.

I don't know about that(the deeper understanding part), this thread alone is good evidence a lot of people don't actually know what actually is or isn't in the game(s) scripts or what is or isn't possible on certain difficulties. I think the difference between this forum and outside is that there are a lot more people willing to throw a game under the bus at any cost and not taking actual script into account unless it's brought up by the other side of the argument or reality of the difficulty modes into account when attacking the game.

There's a lot of hearsay bandied about for both the script and the gameplay modes only because it's negative and fits a narrative/perception. Exaggerating a game they simply don't prefer into being something they hate, a game that's "Poorly written where every explanation is missing until proven otherwise in which case the explanation is poorly written and Lunatic is too difficult to beat without grinding or powerlevelling Robin(despite easily being proven otherwise)".

Edited by arvilino

I don't know about that(the deeper understanding part), this thread alone is good evidence a lot of people don't actually know what actually is or isn't in the game(s) scripts or what is or isn't possible on certain difficulties. I think the difference between this forum and outside is that there are a lot more people willing to throw a game under the bus at any cost and not taking actual script into account unless it's brought up by the other side of the argument or reality of the difficulty modes into account when attacking the game.

There's a lot of hearsay bandied about for both the script and the gameplay modes only because it's negative and fits a narrative/perception. Exaggerating a game they simply don't prefer into being something they hate, a game that's "Poorly written where every explanation is missing until proven otherwise in which case the explanation is poorly written and Lunatic is too difficult to beat without grinding or powerlevelling Robin(despite easily being proven otherwise)".

You have some points there, and I do agree that a lot of people are just using this thread to whine about everything that they think is wrong with Awakening. But it is still true that most people on these forums are here because they have a strong interest in FE. While this doesn't always correlate with intelligence surrounding the games, it seems that most of the people on here are fairly knowledgeable. There are some obvious misconceptions here, but it is perfectly reasonable to state your dislikes of a game, as long as it remains civilized.

Again, true, but Awakening does leave a lot open to the player's imagination, whereas Fire Emblem games as a whole GENERALLY (not always) tie up most of the loose ends. That bolded part though is pure gold.

There's a lot of blind hate and blind love for the game. As the FFVII of the series, it's unavoidable.

how so? in the "it brought in alot of new fans and made it really popular" or in the, to quote the spoony one "before FF7, liking it meant you just liked a game, but then after 7, enjoying the series automatically put you on the same people who love Naruto or think the NGE is really deep."

both sound the same, but the former and the latter definitions are completely different things

EDIT: let me correct myself on the latter

"before FF7 it was for gamers only, but after FF7 it brought in a new kind of fan, really really creepy anime freaks, all of a sudden, liking final fantasy put otherwise respectable gamers put them on the same band wagon as people who feel compelled to dress as idiots (with a picture of bad naruto cosplay in the video) or thought that NGE was really deep."

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

Blind love: Probably exists, but IMO I haven't seen anything that completely discounts its flaws here (or I didn't read/remember it).

Blind hate: Reread this topic.

how so? in the "it brought in alot of new fans and made it really popular" or in the, to quote the spoony one "before FF7, liking it meant you just liked a game, but then after 7, enjoying the series automatically put you on the same people who love Naruto or think the NGE is really deep."

both sound the same, but the former and the latter definitions are completely different things

EDIT: let me correct myself on the latter

"before FF7 it was for gamers only, but after FF7 it brought in a new kind of fan, really really creepy anime freaks, all of a sudden, liking final fantasy put otherwise respectable gamers put them on the same band wagon as people who feel compelled to dress as idiots (with a picture of bad naruto cosplay in the video) or thought that NGE was really deep."

I wouldn't quote Spoony, if you know anything about Final Fantasy before FF7 his knowledge of it isn't actually that good and he even gets facts about them wrong in his videos. He also dismissed FFIX at face value.

Additionally in his FFX-2 had him modify cutscenes to remove parts of it to whine about the parts he removed .(in fact I was going to put a line about people trying to be Fire Emblem's version of Spoony, in my last post). He's the angry "fan" who'll misrepresent or twist a game in any way that helps support his opinion because and feels justified because doesn't like the series direction or feels betrayed.

@Maklovin; the latter, replace anime freaks with Nowi lovers the former

@eclipse; IMO you'll see a lot more of the latter on Serenes, being a quite large pre-Awakening community.

I wouldn't quote Spoony, if you know anything about Final Fantasy before FF7 his knowledge of it isn't actually that good and he even gets facts about them wrong in his videos. He also dismissed FFIX at face value.

Additionally in his FFX-2 had him modify cutscenes to remove parts of it to whine about the parts he removed .(in fact I was going to put a line about people trying to be Fire Emblem's version of Spoony, in my last post). He's the angry "fan" who'll misrepresent or twist a game in any way that helps support his opinion because and feels justified because doesn't like the series direction or feels betrayed.

why do you think i was using him as the negative example? :P

So does the FF example boil down to histper elitist hate people joining in their secret club?

pretty much, granted there is a half truth in that example, but as for me personally any dislike i have of 13 comes from the game itself and nothing else.

people really shouldn't be attacking the fans, i might disagree with opinions around here but I'd like to believe we're all fans of what we consider the same series.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

So does the FF example boil down to histper elitist hate people joining in their secret club?

I've gotten a bunch of anon hate with that attitude for me loving Awakening on Tumblr.

That mentality exists.

It's not just about casual mode or the story polish (or lack thereof) either.