Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the dialogue about a green pen, I was guessing he was going to make another unit (like an enemy archer) make their weapon droppable, but I didn't see any such thing so...

The Warrior who appears near the Physic village has an Iron Bow, and will drop it if you kill him while he has his axe equipped.

The most reliable way to do this is to have Camille rescue Mark, and sit 3 north, 1 west of the upper forest.

The warrior will move above the forest to try to reach you, then you can drop Mark on the forest, move Camille out of the way and he's trapped.

I'm actually interested to see if it's doable without losing anyone. Could you give me the submission for me to try?

I just love the LTCer idea. Especially it being a mage knight.

Seems that the hack might be too harsh on difficulty though. Ragey could equal difficult but I think he set the bar a wee bit too high.

I also wander if you can leave a unit back at the northern fort to block the unseeable spawn.

If that works, talk about an obvious solution...

Edited by Baldrick

I feel like this submission drove Marky a bit too far. I, too, find it aggravating when chapters demand you be fast as possible while simultaneously doing everything it can to make things really slow for you. You should give the players ways to move faster, and have the map and enemy design reward moving quickly, rather than having very good defensive positions that look like very good points to withdraw to, and the way the enemies spawn mean that staying out in the open to push forward will result in many deaths.

Other than that, though, I think this submission has been pretty okay... But, aside from three-way combat, it doesn't really add anything new to your average Ragefest formula.

I feel like this submission drove Marky a bit too far. I, too, find it aggravating when chapters demand you be fast as possible while simultaneously doing everything it can to make things really slow for you. You should give the players ways to move faster, and have the map and enemy design reward moving quickly, rather than having very good defensive positions that look like very good points to withdraw to, and the way the enemies spawn mean that staying out in the open to push forward will result in many deaths.

Other than that, though, I think this submission has been pretty okay... But, aside from three-way combat, it doesn't really add anything new to your average Ragefest formula.

in addition to this, this hack could've used better dialogue that could've made up for what you mentioned.

No no. FEXP submissions still count. It's just... I just don't think FEXP's a good engine for RF anymore. It has cool things like MP3 quality music and less graphical limitations, but it's buggy, slow and unstable, and I feel like that's been hampering my playing experience a lot.

I think if FE hacks/games start utilizing the checkpoint feature of FE11/12, long chapters would be way more fun. It's just, it's not implemented yet, y'know?

"Totally agreed about FEXP. And no save states?" -MetaDash

"I don't like FEXP games. Maybe I'll try 'em when FEXNA is out." -paraphrased from The Guy Who Was Right

zLjaUwS.jpg

I know FEXP is kinda crappy compared to Nightmare, but I happen to take pride in my crap.

lol with all Mari keeps hyping up FEXNA (and my game in particular, even though her own game which the public knows about is more recent and was not made a year ago by an idiot)

and this whole thing right now

what even are the relevant differences between the potentials of GBA, FEXP, and FEXNA? I mean I'm pretty sure I've talked about this before but I just got up so I'm tired enough it feels new.

Really the main thing that FEXP has that FEGBA doesn't, apart from being easier to make engine changes and use better assets, are skills. But the FEXP submissions so far have really kind of underutilized skills, perhaps in part after Generic War's overuse of simple skills.

And what FEXNA has that FEXP doesn't? Speaking theoretically, actually...not much. What it has is ease of use: almost everything you can do in FEXP, you can do much easier in FEXNA, with more reliability and a faster result. I mean, there are a bunch of engine improvements, but many of the gameplay-affecting mechanics could be added to FEXP if you're crazy enough.

lol with all Mari keeps hyping up FEXNA (and my game in particular, even though her own game which the public knows about is more recent and was not made a year ago by an idiot)

and this whole thing right now

what even are the relevant differences between the potentials of GBA, FEXP, and FEXNA? I mean I'm pretty sure I've talked about this before but I just got up so I'm tired enough it feels new.

Really the main thing that FEXP has that FEGBA doesn't, apart from being easier to make engine changes and use better assets, are skills. But the FEXP submissions so far have really kind of underutilized skills, perhaps in part after Generic War's overuse of simple skills.

And what FEXNA has that FEXP doesn't? Speaking theoretically, actually...not much. What it has is ease of use: almost everything you can do in FEXP, you can do much easier in FEXNA, with more reliability and a faster result. I mean, there are a bunch of engine improvements, but many of the gameplay-affecting mechanics could be added to FEXP if you're crazy enough.

FEXNA: FEXP except much smoother, less clunky, and far easier to implement things.

FEGBA: well its got that classic feel to it, plus the majority of the people here are used to FEGBA, has many possibilities with ASM code.

FEXP: easier to implement stuff without knowledge of ASM, slow and clunky however.

in short:

FEGBA: ASM code

FEXNA: FEXP except not terrible

FEXP: FEGBA w/o ASM required

But all jokes aside, FEXP does have some glaring, and I mean glaring issues. Small bugs can leave the game hanging or just crash it entirely.

Without Klok's Savestates script (which I am incredibly grateful for), playing levels in FEXP can be a real nightmare.

I also had the sad revelation that FEXP isn't good with frame rates, ease of play, and fluid movement from one option to the next.

Things like Nosferatu requiring animations to stay on can also be a problem.

As someone who joined the community rather late and close to the RF4 submission deadline, FEXP was pretty much my only choice for a submission though

since I can't program anything for the life of me. I'm just an artist lol

I'm still grateful for it, though. Purt was an interesting experience for me.

But all jokes aside, FEXP does have some glaring, and I mean glaring issues. Small bugs can leave the game hanging or just crash it entirely.

Without Klok's Savestates script (which I am incredibly grateful for), playing levels in FEXP can be a real nightmare.

I also had the sad revelation that FEXP isn't good with frame rates, ease of play, and fluid movement from one option to the next.

Things like Nosferatu requiring animations to stay on can also be a problem.

As someone who joined the community rather late and close to the RF4 submission deadline, FEXP was pretty much my only choice for a submission though

since I can't program anything for the life of me. I'm just an artist lol

I'm still grateful for it, though. Purt was an interesting experience for me.

Aside from the lag and a few slight gameplay issues, this was a solid submission. You did good, mate. Thank GOD for savestate scripts.

Oh also FEXNA can continue when the window is unfocused which is a small thing but surprisingly great.

Yeah I still think FEXP is easier than FEGBA by far, so it's great for beginners. Everything uses just one program, and while the parts of it don't always make 100% perfect sense for how they go together, it's a lot more intuitive than making a map in one program, then setting unit coordinates in another, and having to test if they're right in a third program, then going and using another program to set their stats, and another to give them portraits and dialogue, etc. The barrier to entry is arguably the lowest for FEXP, since FEXNA does have a set of programs you need to install before you use it (but at least you don't need to finish within a month/buy/otherwise get RMXP)

(I'm pretty sure Nosferatu can be made to work in FEXP without animations, but I never bothered to check. My solution was to just require battle animations to be on. Tedious, sure, but it's more reliable (EDIT: would've been kinda neat if a submission actually took advantage of how FEXP has different sets of code for various things between battle scenes and map battles but eh))

(EDIT2: Though with that said, when I was using FEXNA, I wasn't sure that the code would all be the same between map and battle animations, so I...uh... That's part of why I'm considering making mine partially streamable, it's probably going to be a massive block of footage that is not fun to edit)

Edited by 47948201

Stream's over.

I've decided that... I'm gonna disqualify this submission until further notice.

If anyone can get their hands on the submission, I invite you to prove to me that there is a consistent strategy to beating it. If you beat it, please record it, and we'll commentate over it together. You can have it uploaded to your channel so you get the ad revenue, and I'll promote the video on mine, OR, you can upload it to my channel for the exposure, and I'll promote your channel anyway. =X

Either way, I'm done. Next submission.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990