Ranged Weapons

Jedi

As far as LTC goes, magic has always been the easiest way to clear enemies anyway. I don't think it'll be a huge deal.

I quite like the change though, although it means magic is likely going to be super strong again.

Also a buff to thwomps because they didn't double anyway

Its been awhile since we've had a Sety or Pent though, don't you think? :P

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*claps*

Finally, archers can be useful! I've always had a soft spot for this so this is excellent news. This also makes tomes so much more OP.

I have a soft spot for them, but more so for their Sniper brothers and sisters who were actually not hampered by bad stats :P

Its been awhile since we've had a Sety or Pent though, don't you think? :P

I think that's more because of reclassing. Nosferatu Linde is pretty good in FE12 and Nosferatu Robin is technically still a magic user in FE13, along with other good classes like Dark Knight and Dark Flier.

I think that's more because of reclassing. Nosferatu Linde is pretty good in FE12 and Nosferatu Robin is technically still a magic user in FE13, along with other good classes like Dark Knight and Dark Flier.

This is true, its just been awhile other then Robin to have like an outstanding magician who just curbstomps everything they merely look at.

With the way dual strikes work they pretty much had to do this, I think. They made Hand Axes/Javelins about as weak as they could in Awakening (well, the hit could be lower) but thanks to dual strikes they ended up great anyway. Moving away from this to preserve the niche of proper 1-2 range weapons sounds good to me. I'm sure Javelins/Hand Axes will still be plenty useful even at one hit.

Obviously there were other options; I've always felt javelins/hand axes were pretty fair in the GBA games, since (a) most units who weren't already slow took an AS penalty to use them, (b) they had quite low hit, and © there were no dual strikes or skill procs to activate. But given that dual strikes and skills are still in, and weapon weight is not, something like this was needed.

^^ magic users can easily curb-stop things in the GBA games, its just that you needed to train them a bit.

^ hand axes were still very very useful in the gba games i just didn't overuse them, cause 1 with that usage i was afraid they would break mid battle 2 i didn't want to carry more than one for flavor reasons 3 it always felt a little cheap to overuse them.

Also gba enemies actually had defence unlike awakening where defence grows slower for everyone.

Edited by goodperson707

This also raises the question of what IS plans to do to prevent 1-2 range hidden weapons from becoming just as overpowered as the javelins they decided to nerf. From what we've seen of the iron shuriken, they have might similar to Awakening's javelins/hand axes, have good hit, AND cause those crazy enemy debuffs. On top of this ninjas have good speed (and good other stats) so they will reliably double, as we've already seen with Suzukaze. How will this be balanced? Give ninjas terrible caps?

Edited by Bovinian

^^ magic users can easily curb-stop things in the GBA games, its just that you needed to train them a bit.

^ hand axes were still very very useful in the gba games i just didn't overuse them, cause 1 with that usage i was afraid they would break mid battle 2 i didn't want to carry more than one for flavor reasons 3 it always felt a little cheap to overuse them.

Also gba enemies actually had defence unlike awakening where defence grows slower for everyone.

Well yeah but they aren't instantly awesome. I mean I'll be the first to admit I like using Nino, Lilina etc, but they simply aren't at the level Sety and Pent are.

This also raises the question of what IS plans to do to prevent 1-2 range hidden weapons from becoming just as overpowered as the javelins they decided to nerf. From what we've seen of the iron shuriken, they have might similar to Awakening's javelins/hand axes, have good hit, AND cause those crazy enemy debuffs. On top of this ninjas have good speed (and good other stats) so they will reliably double, as we've already seen with Suzukaze. How will this be balanced? Give ninjas terrible caps?

They are already worse from the fact that they cannot be wielded by a mounted unit. I don't think we have to worry.

Yeah i agree that they aren't instantly awesome, but then again i don't mind a little grinding or a bit of babying and don't use jagens much, also my first game was SS, druid Ewan was the bomb, every stat maxed but defence? (Which was 18or 19i believe). But besides lucky overpowered Ewans most mages were great for me if trained but then again i liked keeping my units together, so full power 1-2 range was amazing for me, and squishyness and non 8 mov didn't matter much.

Edited by goodperson707

Yeah i agree that they aren't instantly awesome, but then again i don't mind a little grinding or a bit of babying and don't use jagens much, also my first game was SS, druid Ewan was the bomb, every stat maxed but defence? (Which was 18or 19i believe). But besides lucky overpowered Ewans most mages were great for me if trained but then again i liked keeping my units together, so full power 1-2 range was amazing for me, and squishyness and non 8 mov didn't matter much.

Yeah I don't mind it either, maybe I talk too much from my perspective of LTCing and serious playthroughs. When I also do casual runs lol

^ i don't mind most LTCers and i don't mind those who play the hardest modes, i just don't like it when they bassicly say their way is the only way to play, if anything I seem to remember jagens being seen as universally bad by nearly everyone for awhile, some LTCers and hector hard moders were against it, but nearly everyone seemed to dislike the type. Overusing hand axes probably wasn't as common either. The times change what is seen as good now might not have always been,

Also it almost seems that most of the "casual" players that did not start with awakening are gone or spent a lot of time playing the games from a LTC/rankings perspective which probably has a measure of truth in it with the big gap bewtween non-remake games. I liked the little things or rituals i did in fire emblems, only using Jagens in emergencies, keeping the healers fully protected even if they could take a few hits! Bringing a full party and a defenceless healer even though i could probably send a few units with vulanieres and the chapter would be easier, Taking the boss down with someone who made story sense, even if the boss was much stronger than the unit. Bringing an archer and knight along cause i felt the party needed them. That made fire emblem for me. Wether or not a unit could near solo the game or if archers/knights were not seen as good meant nothing to me, being able to grind in the tower didn't violate the spirt of the game for me, it made it easier to use Ewan/Amelia so i could have a summoner And a Druid, and so i could have a general with a half decent speed stat not just because speed was good but because i liked units with higher speed for flavour reasons,

Anyway sorry for the wall of text, but i feel that only or mainly using high mov units with hand axes/javelins is hardly how i want to always play fire emblem and hardly the only way to play fire emblem.

Edited by goodperson707

And I agree with your viewpoints. I am much the same way in my basic runs of any FE, heck I'm one of the more casual players when I'm not trying like lunatic or the rare time I ltc nowadays.

Oh yeah i know i gleaned as much from your previous posts but i just wanted to say what i wanted to say which i have been thinking about for a while now and it is easier for me to say what i want to say if I am saying it to someone i highly respect instead of getting into an argument with someone and focusing on what is wrong with them instead of what i feel.

Well I appreciate the respect line, I can be quite hotheaded and unreasonable sometimes so that's reassuring ^^;.

So does anyone want to speculate on what the Levin Swords buff/debuffs may be? I'm actually thinking it'll be a +mag -str combo maybe so a not quite magic user can semi utilize it if they needed.

Range weapons shall not be as inacucurate as they were in FE6.

I think hand axes, javelins and wind edges should have the same might as iron weapons and the same accuracy as steel weapons.

More powerful weapons like spear, tomahawk and storm sword should have the same might as steel weapons and ten less hit than the weaker 2 range weapons.

In some games like in Tellius the javelin and wind edge (weaker 2 range weapons) had even less accuracy than the hand axe. Unbalanced.

I really wished for a returning of the ballistas.

Well I appreciate the respect line, I can be quite hotheaded and unreasonable sometimes so that's reassuring ^^;.

So does anyone want to speculate on what the Levin Swords buff/debuffs may be? I'm actually thinking it'll be a +mag -str combo maybe so a not quite magic user can semi utilize it if they needed.

Hey i can barely get a good paragraph out that make sense and isn't confused and i can barely remember who is who on this board, (took me half an hour of viewing to realize who you were when you changed your sig picture things) more than half the time i write things in the mindset that the rest of the world are Blind Idiotic Morons, not a mindset that is good to have a decent debate in.

Anyway I'm not sure about levin swords, + mag might work, but im not sure if which stat to lower. - Def maybe to make you seem more magey? Im not sure.

Maybe -Def that could work! Also sorry for the theme change I had a poll recently to decide what it was and Hinoka won. (She's my favorite of the revealed characters thus far)

^yeah - def makes sense to me though i wonder since we might go back to different elements for magic weapons if each element has a different +stat calling back to the elemental swords of fe 4-5. I find those little things pretty nice. But i don't know if that will work wellfor balance.

And you don't need to apologize at all, i just need to read your name instead of relying on the pictures since i know i have problems when they change.

I'd be all for stuff like the Fire Sword coming back. (It reminds me of Eyvel yeeeee)

But I do wonder if they will other then the Levin Sword.

^ well didn't we see a fire mace, i didn't just mean different elemental swords i think they might stick one,element to a weapon but i was thinking they might have different stat boosts, which while not elemental swords is a nice nod to the elemental swords boosting different stats. Also i would like it if we got an ice weapon that would be nice.

^ well didn't we see a fire mace, i didn't just mean different elemental swords i think they might stick one,element to a weapon but i was thinking they might have different stat boosts, which while not elemental swords is a nice nod to the elemental swords boosting different stats. Also i would like it if we got an ice weapon that would be nice.

Oh yeah the Maces from the first trailer! I wonder what they do? Also yeah we need elemental and weapon variety, not just swords of course.

A magic bow would be interesting maybe that could be your ice weapon Takumi looks like he has a special bow so I dno. IS wanted to do a magic bow alllll the way back in fe9 the Brightbow but it got scrapped. Still in the code though.

^ yeah i was thinking that the bows could be the ice weapon but the design doesn't scream ice to me like the levin/bolt/shock weapons shouted and yelled electricity at me. Also magic weapons seems to be (at least to me) part of Hoshido's schtick, so i hope we see a lot of them. Also can you even throw a mace or nagatina? So yeah i think we will be getting some magic weapons and i hope they have variety.

Is the double blocking only for ranged attacks or melee as well? Between having low might and lower hit, the lack of doubling will make javelins and hand axes situational at best. Unreliable and possibly even a liability.