I don't understand the anger toward the Awakening kid expies

Luninareph

Also, we were told that FE;If was it's own timeline that strays away from Awakening, so in those regards it can be seen as going against IS's initial word.

Did IS use the word timeline? Or just say that it was a new "world"?

I feel like this is the main source of unease here: that we jumped to conclusions about this game's relation to Awakening, and ran with ideas that IS didn't confirm. Namely, that FE14 would have Tellius-style, complete independence from previous settings. Then 3 Awakening characters show up and we're all like "what? This isn't exactly what I was expecting!! >:(" and "they EXPLICITLY SAID there would be NO AWAKENING", and it's like no, they didn't say that, and in fact they kind of hinted that something like this was coming.

Anyway I agree with everyone that expies are tacky, and I'll join you in disliking those 3 characters if it's confirmed they're not actually the characters from Awakening, having traveled to the IF continent in their backstories. Because seeing copies so exact, that feels like what they should be.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh.

They're characters, first and foremost. I'll let THEM tell me what I should think of them.

'sides, Odin's personal skill is hilarious, so I don't really care if he's Owain's spiritual clone.

Overall the problem is more that they go beyond archetypes with their similarities and well when the pegasus sisters appeared in other fire emblems(although 2 of those 5 games are remakes),it was because these games were connected in terms of story(or at least geography in the case of gaiden),so there was an in-universe justification for this and we simply don't know if this is the case for these 3 child characters since they are shown like they are entirely new units.

In the end I won't mind them if their presence is somehow explained(like if they simply traveled to Nohr),but if they really are just blatant expies,then it seems kinda lazy.(I will still definetly use Odin,simply because of his awesomeness)

Edited by BlueLore

Overall the problem is more that they go beyond archetypes with their similarities and well when the pegasus sisters appeared in other fire emblems(although 2 of those 5 games are remakes),it was because these games were connected in terms of story(or at least geography in the case of gaiden),so there was an in-universe justification for this and we simply don't know if this is the case for these 3 child characters since they are shown like they are entirely new units.

In the end I won't mind them if their presence is somehow explained(like if they simply traveled to Nohr),but if they really are just blatant expies,then it seems kinda lazy.(I will still definetly use Odin,simply because of his awesomeness)

You know I really don't get that point.

If they were the exact same characters, I'd find this really lazy, because... Well, they re-use the same characters.

There's nothing lazier, by definition.

If they are expies who are somehow really similar, at least they have a place in the story, and their own backstories.

They have different relationships towads the different characters, and some thoughts/memories about the world they grew in.

They are their own characters, in a way, even if this is really hard to see without digging really ffar on their backstories).

If they are indeed the same, then I'd be trully annoyed.

I can understand Owain and Inigo because they can sometimes be somewhat amusing charecters

But can someone explain to me why severa is a popular character because the most people I've seen seem to despise her myself included

My disappointment (not exactly 'anger') is that I find it "disrespectful" toward the those characters which I like. It has nothing to do with archetypes or returning characters like Camus. This is a direct copy or the original character onto the new game. They are "marrying" these characters to another story where they are no longer one of those emotion trigger for players. In short, these characters are demoted to recyclable junks which is why I think it is disrespectful. It's short of like reading a newspaper saying your war hero is expendable and barely have any value.

I do not know what role these Awakening children play in FE:if, and I can tolerate some characters being reincarnated. However, I would lose all my respect for the developers that they recycle Lucina into the plot. She is too important for the previous game to be treated that way.

If they're going to reuse those children, they may as well let me play Awakening Robin as the main character and Chrom and the children are on the quest to look for their long lost strategist who is now reborned in the wrong place and wrong time. Thus, making this direct sequel of Awakening.

Edited by Ganhur

Like everybody else said, it's the blatant copy and pasting that throws people off as opposed to being used as inspiration. Having the exact same personality with little to no differences is lame. Even the Cain and Abel expies have different personalities. Sain and Kyle are vastly different personality-wise, for example.

And the worse part is that the Awakening kids look almost identical. If they are the present kids, that's fine by me. If not, wtf lol. I don't want an archetype of characters where it's literally the same looks minus the clothing and the same personality. I honestly don't mind Awakening being mentioned in Nohr, and I would have issue if it's a copy and paste of another character like if not!Soren came out of nowhere.

I at least hope the new kids will be more like a semi-clone in smash than a flat-out clone.

I can sort of understand the frustration though sometimes I feel like people are getting a little too heated up about it, or end up on a slippery slope that blows out of proportion.

but uh, I just don't care. When people say they don't like it I just don't care, because I'm fine with it and that's all that really matters to me in the long run. I don't have any reason to defend the choice to have these characters return under new names, nor do I have any reason to listen to people that are opposing it.

As an Inigo fangirl, I'm excited for Lazward. <3

I'm pretty put off by Severa 2.0 since I hate tsundere characters the most.

That's more about preference, though, rather than disliking the children copies.

The archetypes they usually use are quite broad and each iteration still has it's own character.

Kain and Abel are not the same characters as Sain and Kent or Oscar and Kieran.

This is just copy&paste.

Also, I don't think they are the present children of Lissa and the others.

This Fire Emblem game should not be connected to awakening, just like Sacred Stones and PoR/RD were it's own thing with it's own setting and mythology.

The archetypes they usually use are quite broad and each iteration still has it's own character.

Kain and Abel are not the same characters as Sain and Kent or Oscar and Kieran.

This is just copy&paste.

Also, I don't think they are the present children of Lissa and the others.

This Fire Emblem game should not be connected to awakening, just like Sacred Stones and PoR/RD were it's own thing with it's own setting and mythology.

I have the opposite view to you it will annoy me an insane amount if they just happen to look like and act like the awakening characters but make no reference to that fact because that would just show the only reason for them was to not have to create new unique characters and not to tie a bit of continuity into the games or give us more closure on awakening

I'm mad that the other kids got their mothers hair color but not!inigo doesn't have pink hair.

Inigo has gray hair in his official art so I don't think pink was ever his color.

Personally, I don't mind but it does feel a bit cheap for these characters to look that similar to those of Awakening's unless there's a plot justification.

Edited by Magician Lugh

Am I the only one who likes it?

I liked them 3 in Awakening and I love their new designes, I'm glad to see them again. It's cool to see some reference to the game who saved the franchise (and for me it was an amazing game tbh).

I just hope that they are really who they seem and not just lookalikes

If they're going to reuse those children, they may as well let me play Awakening Robin as the main character and Chrom and the children are on the quest to look for their long lost strategist who is now reborned in the wrong place and wrong time. Thus, making this direct sequel of Awakening.

Well, you can use Robin and Lucina with Amiibo already and at least so far they seem to be on the level of the game's own units, unlike Awakening's DLC (of course, we still don't know about supports).

Am I the only one who likes it?

I liked them 3 in Awakening and I love their new designes, I'm glad to see them again. It's cool to see some reference to the game who saved the franchise (and for me it was an amazing game tbh).

I just hope that they are really who they seem and not just lookalikes

I am very happy about it, too, and they picked 2/3 of my favorite children from Awakening. Just replace Severa with Morgan and it's a dream come true for me.

I think many people are more disappointed than angry that the characters are so similar; I personally loved Awakening's characters and didn't mind the "look alikes" at first, but I'll admit that I'm a bit surprised...? They've come out with so many unique characters and classes already, so I'm just curious why they would "borrow" designs from Awakening -I reason that there's something specific the devs have planned, but it might just be because...the FEA children were really popular lol ; u ;

I just like to give them the benefit of the doubt and think that they did it for a reason other than marketing purposes !

You know I really don't get that point.

If they were the exact same characters, I'd find this really lazy, because... Well, they re-use the same characters.

There's nothing lazier, by definition.

If they are expies who are somehow really similar, at least they have a place in the story, and their own backstories.

They have different relationships towads the different characters, and some thoughts/memories about the world they grew in.

They are their own characters, in a way, even if this is really hard to see without digging really ffar on their backstories).

If they are indeed the same, then I'd be trully annoyed.

If the similarities are because of a valid reason(either the 3 traveled to that land and changed their name for some reason,or what i personally believe,they are the 3 children that were born in the new timeline that awakening created,who would be similar,but still new characters),then it'd be nothing more than the pegasus trio in Gaiden,or the returning characters in Radiant dawn,etc and it would add to the overall awakening or even the FE-lore as a whole.

However if the 3 are new characters,then that means they copy pasted old characters and are selling them as new ones,which is just lazy and doesn't really expand on anything,not to mention that there is nothing stopping them from doing this over and over again.

If the similarities are because of a valid reason(either the 3 traveled to that land and changed their name for some reason,or what i personally believe,they are the 3 children that were born in the new timeline that awakening created,who would be similar,but still new characters),then it'd be nothing more than the pegasus trio in Gaiden,or the returning characters in Radiant dawn,etc and it would add to the overall awakening or even the FE-lore as a whole.

However if the 3 are new characters,then that means they copy pasted old characters and are selling them as new ones,which is just lazy and doesn't really expand on anything,not to mention that there is nothing stopping them from doing this over and over again.

I second that.

I'm not angry. I still love the awakening children and some part of me smiles to see these faces again, and they're not a dealbreaker to this game.

I can understand Owain and Inigo because they can sometimes be somewhat amusing charecters

But can someone explain to me why severa is a popular character because the most people I've seen seem to despise her myself included

I actually see a lot of people (who aren't hateful against Awakening's kids) like Severa. I like her, don't love her (she's my 2nd least favorite of the 10 Awakening kids I like). I think part of her appeal is being tsundere (some people like that). Her attitude (particularly towards Owain pre A support) used to annoy me but I found as annoying/rude as she could be in her early supports that she usually made up for it with her dere side in her A or S supports. Also, for me personally at least, she was such an awesome hero (easily one of my best kids) that I developed a soft spot for her. Hard to hate a unit who is so strong.

I am very happy about it, too, and they picked 2/3 of my favorite children from Awakening. Just replace Severa with Morgan and it's a dream come true for me.

I'd rather have Severa replaced by any other female but Kjelle. That's not me disliking Severa, just that (personality wise) she was my 2nd least favorite female child, even though I still liked her overall.

I second that.

I'm not angry. I still love the awakening children and some part of me smiles to see these faces again, and they're not a dealbreaker to this game.

I agree with this.

That's an interesting theory. I admit I'd like because it would mean the parents weren't terrible enough to give their kids the same names as the ones who came back.

I second that.

I third that.