Soleil/M!Kamui's Supports are almost offensive

EJ107

You are blowing this out of proportions. This a bad support not many people are going to debate it but to think it has some hidden agenda or message is just absolutely asinine.

You're putting words in my mouth, buddy. It's a bad support because it endorses terrible stereotypes about gay people and rape culture. And then all the people who want to sweep that crap under the rug, they're just fine. LOL.

Let's not forget that the tumblr user posting about this, who is a transgender female, has received death threats from FE fans because of their critique. But that doesn't matter to all the fans who want to rationalize this away, does it?

Stop blinding yourselves to the real, and ugly, consequences of bigotry.

Edited by Arch

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This video is certainly good at one thing: Ignoring the problem. People are upset about this because of the lack of consent surrounding Kamui putting magic powder in her drink along with the lack of female supports that result in marriage (I would also add that the game treats her and her sexual orientation/her liking of women as a joke, but i'm editing together my two cents on this at the moment after perusing my way through the fan translations of her many support conversations and i'd prefer to not make a post that ends up being a lengthy essay over here). Just because it takes place in a fantasy setting doesn't make what happens to Soleil or the lack of any women-women marriage supports. Frankly, it being a "magic powder" comes across as a way for the writer to go "it's magic, we don't have to explain it". It's not okay any more than what happens to Deirdre in Seisen No Keifu is "okay". It's a terrible contrivance that exists to solve what the game deems a "problem", that being the sexual orientation of Soleil.

And that's wrong, damnit.

That video is explaining the context more than identifying the issue, which is the point. That guy is talking about the context and he does agree that people have a good reason to be upset over the magic powder thing. Hes dismissive of it, but at least he understands why theres anger. It is annoying he does not discuss Soleil's lack of S supports with Femui. Like i said, i think this is going to be changed quite a bit in actual localization. (this guy is paraphrasing on the fly, so its not that in depth.) Since this video explains the context better, i can argue a stance better for the situation. Like, i would vastly prefer Soleil to be S rankable for a Femui. One thing is for certain though, despite the magic powder, there is no "gay conversion" going on. At the end of the A support, Kamui and Soleil both acknowledge she likes cute girls and its a part of her being. Shes not being judged or told "you need to stop liking cute girls."

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

It's a bad support because it endorses terrible stereotypes about gay people and rape culture.

You can make an argument about gay stereotypes, but rape culture? Not seeing that, and I have read the support.

Let's not forget that the tumblr user posting about this, who is a transgender female, has received death threats from FE fans because of their critique.

You're right, that is unacceptable. And yet that has absolutely nothing to do with the support and how it's written. That's the internet being assholes.