General US Politics

Ansem

I don't buy Hillary's apology. Calling such a big group of people "basket of deplorables" isn't something you say just like this. If somebody said something like that about Jews wouldn't you agree that it's an entirely unacceptable thing to say? Wouldn't you assume that somebody who made such an outrageous statement actually meant to say it exactly the way she did it? These aren't words you just throw out without thinking about what they mean. Especially when you're a goddamn politician. You say these words and you mean them, call it a slip if you want it. There's no doubt in my mind that Hillary *does* view these people as what she called them.

Though the real kicker for me is the double-standard: if Trump said something like that about Democrats he'd be celebrated by his supporters for "challenging PC culture" and being a true patriot and whatnot. And yet the same people will be the first to cry like little babies when they have shots sent their way. Looks like Hillary's statement wasn't that inaccurate after all.

For real though, if you are bothered by PC culture and worried about free speech being restricted then Trump is the completely wrong horse to bet on. As often, the Libertarians are the better Republicans in that regard.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no doubt in my mind that Hillary *does* view these people as what she called them.

Wait, what? She isn't apologizing for calling them deplorable, she's apologizing for claiming it's half of his supporters. And that's exactly what she said she's apologizing for. There was no attempt to back down from the sentiment itself which is fine imo. I don't care about offending the group she targeted in that statement; I'd consider some of those people deplorable, too.

If somebody said something like that about Jews wouldn't you agree that it's an entirely unacceptable thing to say?

She's insulting a collective group of people for their political stances; and people do that all the fucking time. It's not the same. It's not very SMART, but it's been done over this thread repeatedly.

Though the real kicker for me is the double-standard: if Trump said something like that about Democrats he'd be celebrated by his supporters for "challenging PC culture" and being a true patriot and whatnot. And yet the same people will be the first to cry like little babies when they have shots sent their way. Looks like Hillary's statement wasn't that inaccurate after all.

For real though, if you are bothered by PC culture and worried about free speech being restricted then Trump is the completely wrong horse to bet on. As often, the Libertarians are the better Republicans in that regard.

I actually agree 100% with this so this completely redeems your post gg

Edited by Crysta

Romney essentially did that in 2012 with "47%" and it was one of the big gaffes that helped sink him.

But this election has made gaffes obsolete. These two candidates make Obama and Romney look sparkly crystal-clean.

https://twitter.com/RickLeventhal/status/774965031943438336

Hillary seems to have had a medical episode. Despite the official statement from her campaign being overheating, the weather for today in NY seems hardly that hot (most weather sites have placed it at around 80 ºF/26 ºC.

Also, video footage from different angles of Hillary being taken to her van, half collapsing as she enters.

https://twitter.com/zgazda66/status/774993814025011200

https://twitter.com/USA1stAlways/status/775007154101161984

Even if Hillary had poor health and could possibly die shortly after getting into office, the argument could be made that a Kaine Presidency would still be better than anything Trump.

Y'know, this isn't such a bad plan. But it hinges on someone dying, and I think that's in terrible taste.

yeah she might as well have ebola with how adamant people want this to be a big deal

Trump supporters want it to be a big deal, but I don't see people who would vote for Hillary changing their minds because her health is less than perfect.

Even if Hillary had poor health and could possibly die shortly after getting into office, the argument could be made that a Kaine Presidency would still be better than anything Trump.

He'd probably be a better president than Hillary herself for that matter.

Edited by Yojinbo

you guys know fdr had polio right?

That doesn't really affect being able to function cognitively. Supposedly Hillary has pneumonia though, so it's not that big a deal anyway.

He'd probably be a better president than Hillary herself for that matter.

I'll wait until the VP debate to have a solid opinion but I'm inclined to say the same.

you guys know fdr had polio right?

No, he had Guillan-Barre Syndrome, but it was thought to be polio because the terminology for GBS didn't exist in 1921. Still, a cripple managed to win the presidency, an accomplishment rivalled only by President Obama.

No, he had Guillan-Barre Syndrome, but it was thought to be polio because the terminology for GBS didn't exist in 1921. Still, a cripple managed to win the presidency, an accomplishment rivalled only by President Obama.

Yes while that is true, what they did with the presidency is not the same at all.

Yes while that is true, what they did with the presidency is not the same at all.

Well, considering one had 4 more years to rule, nothing Obama has done is anywhere close to the monumentous amount of litigation FDR passed, regardless of effectiveness on both sides.

Well, considering one had 4 more years to rule, nothing Obama has done is anywhere close to the monumentous amount of litigation FDR passed, regardless of effectiveness on both sides.

I would argue Obama has done more things to harm me than help me, but that's besides the point

That doesn't really affect being able to function cognitively. Supposedly Hillary has pneumonia though, so it's not that big a deal anyway.

I'll wait until the VP debate to have a solid opinion but I'm inclined to say the same.

true. i just think it's weird people are so caught up about her health. people get sick. old people get sick.

i also felt bad for john mccain when people said he was too old, though i won't deny i was a part of the bandwagon. (in my defense i was a 14 yr old.) sanders was running as an even older man than mccain, and trump only 2 years younger than mccain's running age.

interesting!

Edited by Phoenix Wright

true. i just think it's weird people are so caught up about her health. people get sick. old people get sick.

i also felt bad for john mccain when people said he was too old, though i won't deny i was a part of the bandwagon. (in my defense i was a 14 yr old.) sanders was running as an even older man than mccain, and trump only 2 years younger than mccain's running age.

I think the point is meant to be that, given that the presidency is a high stress job, a person that appears to be in a frail state of health could easily fail to keep up with the work due to illness that the very same stress of job may cause or worsen. While the whole Hillary's health issue is largely confirmation bias, even the just the appearance of being frail should be taken into account.

While yes, Trump is old too, he hasn't shown anything that would signal that his age is affecting his capability to govern. At most there's the possibility that he may be using hearing aids (There are rumors of his hair being fake, but a lack of real hair is hardly an issue even if the rumor's true).

There's one thing Obama did that I will always be grateful for; he prevented Hillary from becoming President back in 2008.

That bandwagon was valid though, since McCain's VP was Sarah Palin. People were hesitant to vote McCain for that reason. Tim Kaine seems like a pretty level-headed guy.