(FE8) Map Insertion Help

daguywithaface

Hi all,

I am assisting with a ROM hack as a mapper and character designer, however I am unable to insert maps properly, and tutorials I have found (including the ultimate tutorial) do not make instructions clear, or at least I am doing something wrong. Is there anyone able and willing to better explain, or assist us in inserting the maps properly?

MODEDIT: ftfy lol

Edited by Integrity

what about it do you find confusing?

Basically we can't seem to replace maps with the ones he made.

We tried so many times but whenever it works it's just a broken pink mess, so we need someone to do it instead of us (I know, lazy, huh?).

I can't do it because I have a lot more stuff to do with the hack and he started colledge, so we don't have a lot of time to experiment.

I start a full-time job on Wednesday so I'm not really in much of a position to rewrite an entire tutorial for you either! You need to help us help you. What are the steps that you have done? Can you post a screenshot of the "broken pink mess" (protip: vague descriptions like this do not help anyone)? Does the game freeze? Is ANYTHING working? What else have you changed?

For starters, show me:

• the programs you've used
  • the offsets you've used
  • your events (if you've made any)
  • the map you're trying to insert
  • the program you're using to make the map

I honestly do not know how it could get any clearer than the Ultimate Tutorial or other map insertion tutorials, but I guess I'll have to help troubleshoot for you to see where you went wrong.

Edited by Agro

The Progrems are Mappy, MAR inserter and Nightmare 2, the offset was an empty one I found with a hex finder +0x0800000, I haven't used any events, AQVwxwA.png
That's the map I'm inserting, and again, I'm using Mappy.

it just looks like you forgot to change the palette or something. you also never specified to me where "empty space" was - what was the exact address? can you also please post a screenshot of your chapter data editor?

Edited by Agro

Hmm... I'm no Sacred Stones hacker, but I would write the map at the end of the ROM. So open your Hex editor and then go to the very end of the ROM, add zeroes (or 00s) until you get a new line, then use that offset and add 08000000 to that offset in nightmare when you're using the Event Table References. Just a suggestion, and something I would do. Also, make sure you're changing the tilesets in the Chapter Data Editor to the correct one, obviously.

I'm not sure where the free space is in Sacred Stones, so that's why I just suggest creating your own free space at the end of the ROM.

And I don't want to sway you from using a program you're most comfortable with (Mappy), but I really do suggest you use Tiled. I'm not sure if Mappy got updated and is easier to use now or something, but Tiled to me is definitely the easiest, and tile changes are easiest to make on there as well. But to each their own, I'm no expert so just do what you think is best, it's just my opinion anyways and we're each entitled to one!

Hmm... I'm no Sacred Stones hacker, but I would write the map at the end of the ROM. So open your Hex editor and then go to the very end of the ROM, add zeroes (or 00s) until you get a new line, then use that offset and add 08000000 to that offset in nightmare when you're using the Event Table References. Just a suggestion, and something I would do. Also, make sure you're changing the tilesets in the Chapter Data Editor to the correct one, obviously.

I'm not sure where the free space is in Sacred Stones, so that's why I just suggest creating your own free space at the end of the ROM.

And I don't want to sway you from using a program you're most comfortable with (Mappy), but I really do suggest you use Tiled. I'm not sure if Mappy got updated and is easier to use now or something, but Tiled to me is definitely the easiest, and tile changes are easiest to make on there as well. But to each their own, I'm no expert so just do what you think is best, it's just my opinion anyways and we're each entitled to one!

it just looks like you forgot to change the palette or something. you also never specified to me where "empty space" was - what was the exact address? can you also please post a screenshot of your chapter data editor?

After hours of searching, I've found a fix.

But it requires me to re-do the hack (which I have already done)

Thanks for the help anyways.

Well what was the problem? You never even have me so much as the exact address you wrote the map to...

Edited by Agro

Well what was the problem? You never even have me so much as the exact address you wrote the map to...

The problem was, as you said, in the address that I wrote it to.

The maps still aren't working but I'm too tired to give two shits

"I have found a fix thanks bye" is literally the worst way to end a question thread

if you figured it out on your own, for fuck's sake tell us what you did! That way people with similar problems can learn from your experience!

"I have found a fix thanks bye" is literally the worst way to end a question thread

if you figured it out on your own, for fuck's sake tell us what you did! That way people with similar problems can learn from your experience!

I'm not gonna tell the fix because it brakes the character portraits.

I still can't find a way to insert maps, though.

(then maybe you should say what you did and what it does to character portraits so people have a better idea of how to give you a proper fix?)

I accidentaly replaced the data for some character portraits.

Please don't post here if you don't have any help to give.

how do you expect people to give you help if you're not telling us what you did

imagine calling your mechanic over the phone

"help my steering isn't working"

"what did you do to it"

"oh i managed to get the original problem fixed but that breaks the speedometer"

"what did you do?"

"i won't tell you, just help me!"

how do you expect people to give you help if you're not telling us what you did

imagine calling your mechanic over the phone

"help my steering isn't working"

"what did you do to it"

"oh i managed to get the original problem fixed but that breaks the speedometer"

"what did you do?"

"i won't tell you, just help me!"

I did everything as stated in tutorials, including adding 0x08000000, I tried without adding it, tried finding empty space.

I tried everything and it still only opens on the map when you exit the castle in the prologue cutscene.