Book of Exiles -Chibis and Maps 8/28' ~planning and concepts~

ErrantDShepherd

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're gonna do separate countries, the possibilities get even wilder!

For example, someone in country A helps to clear out a bandit invasion, which sends the remnants down to country B. The remnants manage to destroy a mining operation before being stamped out for good, but this causes country B to have a weapon shortage. Upon hearing that, country C thinks it's a great idea to invade, while country D quietly funds another group to harass country A again. . .or something. With four different nations, and four points of interest in those nations, there's all sorts of ways to portray this!

Well, I wouldn't consider myself an experienced expert, or an expert, and probably not experienced, but I do consider myself a decent writer from a characterization standpoint, at least. Now, I've no hacking experience at all (I'm writing[/s] for my own hack, but I'm not going to start actual hacking until that's done, and it's not exactly something I'm rushing), but if help is being asked for, I can try.

• 1 month later...

So just to let people know, in case they have been curious... I have been working on various story/plot stuff, and character sketches. Hopefully I can put a post together sharing some of the latest plans in the coming days.

Book of Exiles is still very much in the works and going forward. Hope to have some proper replies to these latest posts soon, just been rather busy with home life and school lately... :o

Or suggestions for a potential middle book title? Something... That fits with Journey, Odyssey and Legacy... But is more of a... Folly type section "stuff goes poorly section..." Leading to the Odyssey?

Trojan War

Edited by Matt Custom

• 5 months later...

Short haired girl? Alright, I'm on board. Concepts seem pretty solid, even if the way that capes fits over quiverboy's arm makes it look like he's been Largo'd.

If you're gonna do separate countries, the possibilities get even wilder!For example, someone in country A helps to clear out a bandit invasion, which sends the remnants down to country B. The remnants manage to destroy a mining operation before being stamped out for good, but this causes country B to have a weapon shortage. Upon hearing that, country C thinks it's a great idea to invade, while country D quietly funds another group to harass country A again. . .or something. With four different nations, and four points of interest in those nations, there's all sorts of ways to portray this!

Of course, things get even funner when your hack takes place over a large enough period of time for nations to be founded/destroyed...

It's four lords, but since they kinda need to meet up in the finale. . .yeah. But that sounds like an amazing hack concept!

*writes these down* ;)

Yeah, I have some ideas here... but lots of great suggestions. :D

Short haired girl? Alright, I'm on board. Concepts seem pretty solid, even if the way that capes fits over quiverboy's arm makes it look like he's been Largo'd.

Thanks. Also, thankfully our Bow Lord has use of both his arms. XD

----

So... been debating some various things, would love for some feedback on a potential name change to avoid more mixups, as well as just general thoughts on the concept and game balance. :D

Would love your thoughts on these questions. In the meantime thanks so much for all the interest and support so far. Hope to have some more cool things to show soon enough. :)

In the meantime... Some more concept art, I suppose? As well as a lil more basic overview of the plot?

----

ARTS
0d3fe5e6e551c179781426f6a84a0703.png

-For those that have seen my Sig... you may be curious as to what these individuals are for?

Well, all these battle sprites are going to be characters within the game in some form or another. The three Lords Raynah, Saela, and Quinn at the front, followed by some side characters: Vant, Baerderick, Erwand and Garhen.

6cc6d60ec4885e273cf286213a7c89a5.png

46ac6af101a28f385fa0a56db5c42a59.png

-Concept Battlesprites for Winter, the Mage.

https://imgur.com/a/XgKHx

-Chibi Design Doodle Concept Art. Featuring Quinn and his unit. Potential designs for Saela and Raynah. Side Characters... and a Cadre of Cavaliers.

Click to check out more doodles in my art thread.

STORY

THE BOOK OF EXILES

A royal knight on patrol. A mercenary swordswoman. A wandering prince... And a mysterious mage.
All their journeys will lead them together and to their destinies as recorded in the Book of Exiles.

Four Lords, all Exiles in their own individual ways.
Eventually come together as allies to prevent a catastrophe to their world.

The catastrophe will be brought about by a reckoning. The confrontation between returning exiled Eldar, with the one that banished and imprisoned them. Eldar are the magical beings of this land. They were either trapped in new forms and hid... or found themselves teleported to a distant land unable to escape. They get free, and want their land back as well as revenge on the cause of their exile...

That would be the short version, I guess? Still very much a work in progress... but hopefully not TOO cliche.

----

Anyways, hope you enjoy this little update, as always... thanks for reading, for all the votes, and for commenting! Would love to talk about the concept anytime. ;)

Edited by ErrantShepherd

As long as it isn't "make the Eldar extinct" as the solution, it might work. The story's pretty vague at this point, and you'll need to do a fair amount of world-building to pull this off. Still. . .good luck~!

EDIT: Wandering royal guard can actually go a lot of different directions, while giving us a good view of how the country's run. Hence my choice.

Edited by eclipse

Sprite work's solid as always, Errant. Love the level of detail and depth of design you manage to convey in the tiny battle sprites.

I am curious about Drake's mask, though. Can't quite judge what it's made of from the art. Is he like, Bane or something? I'm in love with Axe Cavaliers as a whole, though, adn the fact that your's is blue just gets my pavlov goin' with how much I appreciate Lex. Gotta say I prefer Ra(e/y)nah with a plain, ponytail-less short haircut. Though, I'm incredibly biased on that point as girls with short hair are the source of my otherworldly power.

(Sad to see I'm the only one who voted for Saela, the idea of a Bowlord's always interested me. That might just be because I get a huge kick out of TearRing Saga's sociopathic Holmes.)

Edited by Dollar

I see you've gone to thinking about renaming lol

Looking at the results for the poll so far, it doesn't look like it'll get changed lol

Edited by InvdrZim13

I see you've gone to thinking about renaming lol

Eh, thought I would see what else might sound good potentially. I am still rather partial to the Book of Exiles as a title personally.

Looking at the results for the poll so far, it doesn't look like it'll get changed lol

Clearly the only solution is pistols at dawn. XD

Some more concept art, little less chibi doodle this time.

[spoiler=More design work]hymRVJz.jpg

-Starting some work on sketching potential outfits for Quinn

JVoPcvd.jpg

-Some bigger design work on the Cavalier, Drake

2249adc722f956310e9256cf683a5c8b.png

-first seen in this image.

cmWXvng.jpg

-Soldier dude, no name currently.

Edited by ErrantShepherd