When do you think it's appropriate for a character to look "sexy"?

IceBrand

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess when the character is that type of character. I expect Bayonetta to be sexy because that is the type of person she is, but a character who comes a cross as modest and is normally shown as a modest person tends not to work, I remember one side quest in Nostalgia where one girl character who was normally very modest ended up getting a rather sexy outfit and tried hitting on the guy she liked in the outfit at the end of the quest and it just did not work well. I suppose it could be funny if it is done right, but it seems like it is very hard to pull off.

there's no specific, clean cut-off point. it's all contextual to the work, the character, the writers, the audience, and whatever other factor i haven't listed

i judge on a case to case basis

It's never really inappropriate but can be wildly out of context. Depends on the character and the setting that they're in.

Like the others said, it's pretty much dependent on context.

Just look at the original Japanese (or uncensored) version of Electric Tale of Pikachu manga to see sexy done wrong IMO (senseless fanservice in the form of overly large bust sizes on practically every female character -- even on 12-year-old Misty -- and skimpy outfits).

Given what gets sold this days, I'll rather ask when is it inappropriate to give your characters an eye-caching look. Obviously there are some contexts where this shouldn't happen, but it seems to me pretty much an accepted practice that isn't questioned much.

when it's a custom character designed by the player.

i wish i could make ugly characters more often, it'd help with any "evil" characters i try to make in games.

and sexy, well i want the character's personality to match what they are, so like if they suppose to be sexy like Sonia (in terms of looks) in FE7, then it works.

meanwhile if they are suppost to be shy and timid, Like Olivia in FE13, then i have no idea why she has one of the more skimpy outfits of the dancers in the series, it just doesn't match well.

They're usually 10000 years old tho so it's ok

Cringes for life but technically I guess you're right????