Archers: do they really suck?

Alastor15243

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a Sniper with Seth stats and growths would be great and all, but then what would the point in having an unpromoted bow unit be?

In a game with branching promotions w/ no reclassing, or a game that brings back personal promotions, access to bow knight perhaps? Have a Gerik-esque archer that can pull some wait immediately and promote soon to a mount. Alternatively, a tier 1 mounted bow unit that isn't quite as good stat-wise as my previous example, but well, is already mounted.

Just some ideas.

Shinon's utility though is hampered by his complicated recruitment, Rolf isn't really better because of Shinon, he just becomes extra baggage.

You know, I kind of liked how Marksman in RD got automatic longbow range, do you think they could use that again? Make it a level 5 or 15 skill for snipers.

^Maybe doing without a playable archer is a good idea, and have the only unpromoted archer be a nomad/bow knight.

Edited by Knight

Having a Sniper with Seth stats and growths would be great and all, but then what would the point in having an unpromoted bow unit be?

Well, Raquel in TRS was handicapped by being unable to deal a lethal blow to human enemies. She would reduce enemies to 1HP and afterwards miss any attacks that she might make. She can kill monsters just fine, though.

A while back I had this notion that bow-users would get +1 range and damage if they were firing down a flight of stairs or ledge, but that would only give them a limited enhancement at best. Maybe let bows 'pierce' and ignore 25% of a foes defense or something?

A while back I had this notion that bow-users would get +1 range and damage if they were firing down a flight of stairs or ledge, but that would only give them a limited enhancement at best. Maybe let bows 'pierce' and ignore 25% of a foes defense or something?

Whatever happened to terrain height? That was so under utilized.

I like bows, they're cool. Well some bow users are glass cannons, sure but...

Most archers don't do enough damage to even classify as that. They're just glass and the gods do not fear their bow-play

Warriors should get a higher bow rank on promotion or provide a weapon that increases WExp growth to bow users. One of the things that makes enemy Warriors formidable is they can be very accurate with their bows and they have high strength to back it up. Geitz and Bartre are examples of Warriors with an existing bow rank and (particularly in the former's case), there were good reasons for them to use bows.

True. Imagine FE9 for example; Rolf would be even more useless than he already is if Shinon didn't leave for half the game.

Firstly, Rolf is already as useless as a character can be. He is Peak Useless.

Secondly, the presence of another useless archer wouldn't make Rolf any more or less useless, any more than the presence of Barth is the reason why Wendy sucks.