Did anyone else find FE9's story to be... less than compelling?

I bet he's never been there. I know him well enough.

well you never know what i do in my spare time at school. Besides, i know enough to not like a lot of them, but so far they've all loved SSBB so they're gaining my trust back

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The plot itself of FE9 was good, nothing special, but certainly not bad. I'd put it near FE7. I enjoyed it more than FE8, and although I havn't finished it yet, FE6 has been pretty bland so far storywise. Although it's not an official translation, so it might not be a fair comparison.

FE10 has the best plot towards the end, although I found the first two parts feel kind of uneventful. It's pretty much just setup. Once Part 3 gets going however, the plot gets better and better as the game goes on. Overall I'd give it to FE10 in terms of best plot.

However, when you take into account the dialogue, support conversations, and character development, I would actually say FE9 did it the best. I found myself very interested in the backstories of several supporting characters, most notably Jill, Soren, and Reyson. Storywise, the only disappointment I had of it was that they didn't explain who the Black Knight was, which doesn't mean anything now given that Radiant Dawn explained everything.

I like FE9 because of the supports the best character develop ever!!!

And now with RD we know that PoR was a prologe to RD, I'm on prat 2 of RD and I'l loving each moment.

you had a little too many RD's in there :P

Story wise, RD still pwns all, cuz all the twists and surprises and whatnot

you had a little too many RD's in there :P

Story wise, RD still pwns all, cuz all the twists and surprises and whatnot

Not to mention all the background stories, or did someone mention that already?

• 1 month later...

yeah, path of radiance had fairly good. it was well developed and fleshed out with some developed characters. Even the enigmatic Black Knight was a cool villian, even the masked identity of the evil knight is cliche, he felt cool.

The best part, in my opinion, the game didn't turn into this world's fate suddenly rests in the hand of a group of kids. Now that is a cliche of every video game. I really liked how the game remained focused solely on the fall and restoration of Crimea. The escalation of events didn't occur, like is in every other fire emblem game. I like the staying in the secular world and not shifting to this massive, world destroying force.

And the game discussed politcal topics, like how Sanaki couldn't take direct action against the Senate. And how the Crimean Army couldn't rely on Begnion's army because then Begnion would have won the war. Those are real (well not real) issues that i feel most games over look.

small things like seperated it from the others, it's focus on keeping the threat another human (or at least mortal) and not some god was cool.

i'm aware that something like this does actually happen in Radiant Dawn, but i am hoping that it's written well enough that it's not just another illogical leap.

i'm not entirely sure why there seems to be a lot of people against it.

I feel that Path and Dawn are like the FE equivalent of Final Fantasy Tactics (the one for PS1).

so lets see who takes a shot at me this time around.

First note: I enjoyed the 'our main character isn't royalty' aspect of FE9 a lot, as it made the game less exactly the same as all the other games but 2 when it came to the beginning. The two races that hate each other aspect while cliche is also fairly real, something like that gets to be cliche when we have rampant racism across the globe.

Now, that aside the plot was pretty good, but it's a set-up for a second game. So a lot of holes were left unaswered. Personally I figured there was a sequal when they didn't do boxed 'this is the character's future' epilogue text. Since it's not a complete story it doesn't hold itself on its own as much as the others. However the set-ups in FE9 for FE10 are beautiful.

Path of Radiance is very human when it comes to the heroes and villains. Nobody in the game is some great 'chosen one' nor is the final villain a giant Dragon who completely shoves the previous villain aside when it comes to power. Which was the most obnoxious thing about FE7 for me, the 'we have a great plot, a wonderful villain, the villain dies and ARBITRARY DRAGON ATTACK. Something I'm glad FE9 avoided and FE10 set-up.

First note: I enjoyed the 'our main character isn't royalty' aspect of FE9 a lot, as it made the game less exactly the same as all the other games but 2 when it came to the beginning. The two races that hate each other aspect while cliche is also fairly real, something like that gets to be cliche when we have rampant racism across the globe.

Now, that aside the plot was pretty good, but it's a set-up for a second game. So a lot of holes were left unaswered. Personally I figured there was a sequal when they didn't do boxed 'this is the character's future' epilogue text. Since it's not a complete story it doesn't hold itself on its own as much as the others. However the set-ups in FE9 for FE10 are beautiful.

Path of Radiance is very human when it comes to the heroes and villains. Nobody in the game is some great 'chosen one' nor is the final villain a giant Dragon who completely shoves the previous villain aside when it comes to power. Which was the most obnoxious thing about FE7 for me, the 'we have a great plot, a wonderful villain, the villain dies and ARBITRARY DRAGON ATTACK. Something I'm glad FE9 avoided and FE10 set-up.

that was awesome. great evaluation. exactly why it's my favorite...and i haven't finished Radiant Dawn. hopefully it lives up. Part was kind of iffy, and part one moved maybe too fast, but it was still good.

However cliché some parts may be, I still found the story to be insanely interesting. It just grabbed hold of me and didn't intend to let go.

I also agree with everything Rakath said.

yeah, path of radiance had fairly good. it was well developed and fleshed out with some developed characters. Even the enigmatic Black Knight was a cool villian, even the masked identity of the evil knight is cliche, he felt cool.

The best part, in my opinion, the game didn't turn into this world's fate suddenly rests in the hand of a group of kids. Now that is a cliche of every video game. I really liked how the game remained focused solely on the fall and restoration of Crimea. The escalation of events didn't occur, like is in every other fire emblem game. I like the staying in the secular world and not shifting to this massive, world destroying force.

And the game discussed politcal topics, like how Sanaki couldn't take direct action against the Senate. And how the Crimean Army couldn't rely on Begnion's army because then Begnion would have won the war. Those are real (well not real) issues that i feel most games over look.

small things like seperated it from the others, it's focus on keeping the threat another human (or at least mortal) and not some god was cool.

i'm aware that something like this does actually happen in Radiant Dawn, but i am hoping that it's written well enough that it's not just another illogical leap.

i'm not entirely sure why there seems to be a lot of people against it.

I feel that Path and Dawn are like the FE equivalent of Final Fantasy Tactics (the one for PS1).

so lets see who takes a shot at me this time around.

that was awesome. great evaluation. exactly why it's my favorite...and i haven't finished Radiant Dawn. hopefully it lives up. Part was kind of iffy, and part one moved maybe too fast, but it was still good.

i so agree with you. i thought that this game was the most realistic one to date. it just wasn't a "oh, some bad guys want to kill us, so lets kill them first." there is actually concrete reasons that the characters performed the actions they chose.

i especially loved the whole Sanaki and Begnion part, which if you ask me, was the most important part of the game and an amazing precursor to FE10. it forshadows the problems in FE10; the corruption, egoism, and greed of humankind.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know i think it's hard to find a game with a good plot and without it beign a cliche

But i got to admit i got pulled into it really fast.

Edited by Fireemblemfan

You guys all make some good points. I found the story in PoR to be quite compelling and it flowed into RD very nicely. The plot twists and dramatic discoveries of the game helped to keep me going to see what would happen next.

10-Best story ever in a Fire Emblem. No sarcasm. I didn't even want to fight at certain times because I wanted to get to the rest of the story.

lol i felt the same way?

• 2 weeks later...

I loved the PoR storyline and character backgrounds. It was one of those games where I started playing it and refused to play anything else until I beat it. At this point I've beaten it three times (Oliver was a disappointment)