Favorite JRPG battle system(s)

FoxwolfJackson

Etrian Odyssey is probably my favorite turn based game. I also like Paper Mario: TTYD's system (and the first paper mario too).

Not sure about real time right now. If FFXII counts I really liked the gambit system. Kinda wish xenoblade had something like it, though that might make xenoblade too easy.

Edited by Sane Young Dog Man

Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, XCOM, and Advanced Wars of course but not including SRPG's

Paper Mario TTYD, Xenoblade X, and Pokemon in general.

Edited by Locke087

Has nobody played Baten Kaitos Origins? That's how you create a card battle system.

Just Baten Kaitos. And it was amazing.

Yggdra Union is just a different type of amazing.

Ahem. . .I'm still fond of Fire Emblem's "move everyone in the order you want and then wait for enemies to do their thing" schtick. The Trails subseries (both Liberl and Erebonia arcs) have some really nifty features, like interrupting the queue to keep an enemy from healing.

The Trails subseries (both Liberl and Erebonia arcs) have some really nifty features, like interrupting the queue to keep an enemy from healing.

I am quite fond of the Trails series battle system as well.

At first, it seems to be a simple, boring, generic turn-based battle system.

But there's actually a lot interesting little details, like eclipse said.

These details makes battles become quite complex, nerve-wracking but at same time fun and easy to get into.

An example is the fact that the games tells you when the enemy will deal a critical hit, which is useful but at the same time nerve-wracking at the same time, because the enemy could use an attack that affects the entire party.

I remember that in Cold Steel, I used(and abused) a cross formation in order to avoid those kinds of attacks.

I have a hard time picking a favorite since there's so many out there that I like.

Especially if you start counting Action-RPG and SRPG, and Real-Time SRPG.

for JRPGs my 3 tied picks would be Paper Mario, ATB final fantasy and turn based a la Hyperdimension Neptunia

Action-RPGs, the Tales of series comes to mind with the Ys series

for SRPGs, Fire Emblem obliviously, Disgaea and Gungnir so far I like it

Real-Time SRPG i really have one choice and it's Resonance of Fate

i like timed hit systems like the paper mario series and mario and luigi

i like the brawler action rpg system in the tales series and in code of princess

and lastly i like traditional turn based systems that take a spin on the genre like golden sun with its djinn system, skies of arcadia with ship battles, baten kaitos with its card system, bravely default with its brave and default system and chrono trigger with its spin on the active battle system where monsters can move around the arena freely

Having played Shin Megami Tensei IV and Bravely Default, I can definitely see where you guys are coming from with those battle systems. However, one battle system that I really enjoyed and I'm slightly surprised that I didn't see anyone post about (or if you did, I missed it and I apologize for that) was the Skies of Arcadia battle system.

The idea that the entire team shared the same Spirit Points meter instead of individual MP for attacks (I mean, everyone did have MP stats, but every magic spell cost 1MP) gave the feeling of having teamwork and support (one person could simply gather spirit points to help build the meter for someone else to cast a spell).

Also, ship battles. Just, ship battles. They were very enjoyable (and some thing I always looked forward to, actually).

I really like the battle system of the GBA Mega Man Battle Network series.

Yeah, huge fan of the BN series, it has so much depth and really involves the player. Not to mention the different combos you can pull off, including Program Advances and the like. Chip Codes also affect how the player creates their chip folder, so it never feels too cheap.

I'm not too big on JRPGs, but Bravely Default has a great battle system, with the whole Braving and Defaulting mechanics.

A solid tie between Bravely Default and Paper Mario/Mario and Luigi. I like the action commands in the latter, but the former is just so much fun and adds so much strategy while simultaneously cutting out a lot of the annoyances of random battles. In fact I love almost everything about Bravely Default's gameplay to the point that it rendered my previous favorite jrpg of all time (not counting action rpgs), Final Fantasy V, borderline unplayable to me because Bravely Default did basically everything so much better to the point that all of that game's flaws and signs of age were put into stark contrast.

Overall I really dont like the majority of turn based rpg games because the battle is pretty much decided before the actual boss battle begins because its really straight forward cast your best spell over repeatedly and heal when you get low, bravely default had a really decent job customisation but you build your character to follow a linear set of commands (lots of variety outside combat not a lot in combat)

I like turn based systems and battles where there is a countless number of ways the battle can go, so turn based games I really love are:

Trails in the Sky: The field is like a chess board and for each kind of action or tier of spell there different recovery times so you have to decide when is it appropriate to go all out, reposition your self/team, which member(s) do you keep using passively so they can assist straight away if no one else in your team can act in time if something goes wrong. There are litterally a thousand ways that battle can go, Trails in The Sky Second Chapter (part 2) has much more improved difficulty which really forces you to think several moves ahead and adapt (on the highest difficulty near the final boss there is a boss that can On-Hit-KO the entire team even if you are max level and decent gear, although it may seem overpowered the battle system has enough depth for you to figure out a way around it).

Xcom: (I'm going to have a hell of a weekend now that I've just gotten Xcom 2) a lot of depth that goes into map awareness, positioning, formation, team comp, having to adapt to enemy reinforcements and what comes out of the fog. Been a while since I played xcom which makes it perfect to play xcom 2.

Valkyrie Chronicles: Again, thousand ways the battle can go, your rewarded for predicting where you think enemies are going to be placed and you can form lots of strategies including contingency plans such so your ready to send in re enforcements to an area etc.

Action Jrpgs include:

Various Y's Seven Titles: Just decent fast paced action enough rpg elements to classify them as rpg's

Megaman BattleNetwork: Don't know what to say, its just pretty fun, you can apply a fair amount of skill when trying to score counters and dodging tough attacks, and chip deck customisations lets you be really personalise your playstyle. I wish they made more of these dont care if its the same 2d sprites.

Inazuma Eleven Chrono Stone 2: (The only one of the series I've played but it left a good impression) I like it because its like a chess board and with the same team a lot of different tactics can be applied and you can apply you logic to predict how your opponent will play and you really have to adapt and think on your feet when one of your guys gets tackled and looses the ball, sometimes the pressure can make you panic and make waste a person's stamina or their resource to get the ball back which can make you suffer later on in the match because if your opponent is the same lv then every ability point can count. There is a fair amount of depth, I dont know if its fast enough to be considered action but its not turn based.

Think I'm really going to love the FFVII remake and FFXV combat system

Edited by Raybrand