Fire Emblem Fates - Life on the Front Lines [A Series]

Elieson

Nintendo today pushed out a neat little video giving a fair explanation of Fire Emblem Fates mechanics and the general beginning of the story line.

While the voice is a bit extreme, it's pretty well done, giving fair visual examples of pretty much everything as it's explained.

This is going to be part of a series of plot and mechanical storytelling, and I'm genuinely interested to see where this goes.

Episode 1 is out now.

They legit use the word Permadeath, as in I think Nintendo wants to add this word to Merriam-Webster's dictionary.

Also there are virtually no spoilers in this video, with the exception of some mild storyline info as conveyed up to Chapter 4. Edited by Elieson

Well, at least its not too over the top of a voice. Like John Cena levels of intensity that I was initially expecting. XD

Good to know they're actually trying to educate people before releasing them into potential deaths. I kinda wish I knew stuff like this before leaping into FE; would've saved me a few deaths in my first playthroughs of FE7 as a kid.

How strange it is to see Fire Emblem being showcased so much, even more than Awakening I think. Its a such a different era now. Leaves a nice, warm feeling though, seeing this effort~! :)

Very well done, though I did laughed at, if you want efficiency use auto-battle.

Fewest Button Presses - Greatest number of processed actions!

It's like Nintendo wants you to not play the game, if they're advertising it this way lol

Nice to see Fire Emblem get some spotlight. The entire reason me and my family got into the games is because my father picked up Radiant Dawn as a rental and loved it. So we bought both Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance thinking they were the only ones in the series for a long time. I only found out that they have had 14 games recently. Nice to see them have a come back though.

The tutorial was pretty well done too. Good showcase of the various maps, brief coverage of the conflict without spoiling everything, and a quick rundown of the main points of the game. Can't wait for the next one, sounds like they will go into the classes on each side in a little detail.

Which on the topic of comebacks, has anyone else noticed the rise in popularity in Strategy games? I have noticed both Fire Emblem Fates and Xcom 2 getting a ton of spotlight recently, and it surprises me because typically strategy games get swept under the bus pretty quickly.

Edited by Tolvir

Which on the topic of comebacks, has anyone else noticed the rise in popularity in Strategy games? I have noticed both Fire Emblem Fates and Xcom 2 getting a ton of spotlight recently, and it surprises me because typically strategy games get swept under the bus pretty quickly.

I think it has a lot to do with the assumption that strategy = intelligence so people who don't think they're very smart/strategic, they'll assume that they wouldn't be very good at these games hence why they don't try.

That was the case for me, anyway.

I think it has a lot to do with the assumption that strategy = intelligence so people who don't think they're very smart/strategic, they'll assume that they wouldn't be very good at these games hence why they don't try.

That was the case for me, anyway.

It effects it from a business side too because most of the time businesses think that Strategy is a really niche area so they don't worry about advertising them a whole lot. They do an announcement and some rather minor stuff with them, and thats about it. In this case though Both Fire Emblem and Xcom 2 got some commercials, tutorial videos, and a good bit of spotlight. Maybe its because there really isn't anything releasing in February besides these two.

Edited by Tolvir

Too bad I can't stand that video's comment section though. I'm sick and tired of all the Dual Audio whining.

It's alright to complain and whine but jesus christ - I agree.

At this point people are wasting way too much energy on something as minor as this. At the end of the day, it's just a video game. I know that's a crappy argument but imagine looking back on this so many years later - it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by carefreejules

He still narrates that show to this day.

Oh yea? I haven't been keeping up but from my understanding the narrator actually changed at some point (I think it was in Pokemon Advance). The other one sounded really similar though so it was a little difficult to tell. Nice knowing that he's back.