Does Anybody still like Awakening more than Fates.

In mechanic and mape desing, sure, Awakening is a shit that I dislike, in stiry is very poor but not so bad. But for me, the characters are the most important part of a game, beside the story, and I'm really in love with their story and personality traits, even if them have trophes, and, in that aspect, Fate is bad in comparison . So, I like Awakening more than Fate, the nostalfag in me like it more, but only in character and maybe story, in the rest I prefer Fate.

Edited by Truffa

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had I perhaps not been in such a hurry to get the game for myself, perhaps I could have avoided the injuries and motercycle damage that was the result, but again, what's done is done.

I bet you wouldn't bring the accident argument if you liked Conquest more, your lack of attention alone caused the accident, not Fates' game design. There's no valid criticism in that at all, you're just arguing for the sake of it.

I also find it funny that you completely ignored the fact that I did mention that I went into Fates' with a VERY negative mindset. Perhaps agree to disagree will be better for at least this particular thread.

If anything, it makes you more biased on Fates, so ignoring it is essentially just letting it slide. I don't see what's wrong with that, exactly.

On topic, having played Birthright and 1/3 of Conquest, yeah, I prefer Fates to Awakening. The mechanics are pretty fun in both, but I like the reliable Dual Strike/Guard shenanigans a bit more, and Fates did skills better. The weapon systems are about equally good imo.

In terms of map design, Conquest wins, no contest, and Birthright's maps are still better than Awakening's (earlygame in particular), although I find BR C25 and C27 really lame on Lunatic because the best strategy is Ryoma solo so you don't have to watch out for your squishy units (lol).

Story-wise, what I've seen of Fates is better than Awakening's imo. I like Fates' villains more than Awakening's fsr, more than 5 characters have natural personalities and it's more exciting than Awakening's story.

Edited by Gradivus.

At least with fighting Grima you could beat him and you would be able to get the game done in 1, maybe even 2 turns if you wanted (fun fact when I first went up against Grima, I got it done in 2 turns with my avatar and Chrom as the heroes).

Anakos(? Did I spell that right?) just kept going on and on and on. Litterally after you'd destroyed his body, he just kept on going. The end game was so damn drawn out it was annoying and not fun at all.

You litterally don't get the "end game" as its own chapter (which would have been nice) you get a whole chapter (24 or whatever it is...I think its chapter 27?) that you have to play through and then right after you think that chapter is done you have to go on again to the end game and you don't get a break from either the story to absorb or process what just happened or the actual "fight" itself, it's just painfully drawn out. I am certain that I mentioned this with Conquest (at least I think I've said this about Conquest's end game, if not then opps I must have forgotten), but it was the same issue as with Revelation and no doubt will be the same with Birthright if I ever get to it. For someone like me it was too much at once. I have never felt both so exhausted and overwhelmed at the same time while I was playing any game :unsure: all while thinking "when is this going to end?". I know that there are others who wouldn't feel that way but I did and it ruined my experience on what should have been a "fun" game.

So here's the question: Why didn't you switch to Phoenix mode to make it more fun?

You clearly couldn't handle it.

Why are you complaining and faulting the game itself when you had the option to make it more fun?

Grima is known, next to Idoun as one of the most anticlimactic bosses in gameplay.

And what does your MU and Chrom have to do with it? Did you feel the need to mention it when anyone on Normal mode can 1hit KO them?

Your comparisons hold no actual logic behind them.

You're using full emotional bias.

Like how you dislike fates for things it's not responsible for.

Yes, I'm sorry you had an unfortunate accident.

However, just like you had faulted Conquest before... these two examples:

Blaming the game for being hard, despite you beating what you need to in Phoenix mode is like blaming a lake with a sign that says "No swimming" for nearly drowning you despite ignoring the warning sign.

Faulting the game for your unfortunate accident is like a kid falling off a bike and blaming the bike, despite it being no one's fault.

Had I perhaps not been in such a hurry to get the game for myself, perhaps I could have avoided the injuries and motercycle damage that was the result, but again, what's done is done.

There is no way to misinterpret this. The fault lies with you. You were in a hurry. No matter how unfortunate your accident is, you were in a hurry. Blaming the game for that is illogical.

Consider this: Instead of picking up the game, you were in a hurry to do something for a loved one. Would you blame your loved one for putting you in that situation? Would it be justified to blame them?

Let's be blunt about this: Your behavior regarding that one is childish. A five year old is expected to place blame on an inanimate object, not someone that can post in a forum catered to a strategy game.

Your reasons are your own for disliking Fates, but don't be so quick to play the victim card when people defend the games from your illogical conclusions.

Especially with your bias for Awakening pandering to a self-insert prince fantasy.

Which I know very well the appeal of. Oh believe me, I had a reputation in this forum for Awakening.

However the difference between me and you is that I realize my bias when comparing two things.

Your preference in your comparison and the things you fault Fates for is obvious. Which leads to people like me calling you out when trying to put it out there for the forum to see.

Because frankly, not many people in a fire emblem forum will agree with things you fault Fates for.

I can clearly tell you are getting annoyed by my responses and tried to play the PM card. However, I assure you that the reason I'm doing so is to show that your comparisons are unfair. Which is relevant to me, since I happen to like Awakening more than Fates.

You're just essentially making us Awakening fans look bad.

So carry on.

I will defend our reputation and uphold our honor. Carry on, young one.

There is no need to be upset.

@ TheSilentChloey: Since you hate Priam, please do me a favour and go fuck yourself.

I'd rather you dislike a forum member for their illogical, emotional responses rather than their dislike for a character. Even then, I don't condone blatant crap like this. Edited by shadowofchaos

I have so many things to say on this matter, but I'll reserve them for when I'll finish all the routes.

Now, for what I can surely say so far on Birthright:

Awakening, overall, seems better.

Why? Because Birthright tries so hard to be like Awakening. It loses its own identity only to simply become Awakening 2.0, when, for me, it should've been its own thing.

But no: here is eugenics again (when it shouldn't have been there), many little details to make it more like Awakening, the dlc follows the Awakening format, and sadly it doesn't even have all the nods and fanservice for older fans Awakening had.

I also preferred Awakening' story. It was a turd, for me, but at least it was a turd that made me laugh. I am going to sound mean now but Chrom giving Validar the Emblem was amazing, it was too funny.

Birthright' story felt boring, very pretentious, filled with useless filler, had very short and uninteresting dialogue... I found it irredeemable, plain garbage (only one scene was unintentionally funny!). And I went full in thinking "It can't be worse than 3-routes-in-1". But no, it was so bad it was unsatisfying to finish it. The terrible endgame maps did not help at all.

I already saw Nohr's plot on a Let's Play and before you ask me... Yes, I found it better than Birthright's.

Now: do I prefer Awakening or Birthright's characters? While I generally found the Birthright cast to be all likable, I think Awakening had better, longer and more memorable supports hidden in the huge pile of pies and wacky shenanigans it has.

Birthright... I enjoyed some romances a lot but sometimes I couldn't be arsed to read a support so I just skipped with start at the third like of dialogue or something.

So... Yeah. Maybe all I need is to play Birthright more, but for some reasons I feel no intention of doing so.

Awakening, I think I started a new pt after finishing it just to get a better grasp of eugenics (mind this I disliked it much more back then after reading the story).

By no means these games have totally bad gameplay... Honest. They both can be fun albeit on the easy side. They have similar if not the same flaws.

But Awakening... Awakening, you all know I love/hate it and I expressed my distaste for it clearly without trying to not cause trouble (and I can still express it!).

But Awakening had a soul. Awakening was itself. Awakening wanted to be a swansong. Awakening was mindless fun.

Yeah the gameplay can be such crap in map design, it's basically another powerleveling SRPG, and it has fucking Nowi and Ricken, and the story gives me diabetes and insulted my (albeit low) intelligence.

Birthright wants to be Awakening again without Nintendo breathing on Intelligent System's neck telling them FE will die.

You can't do that.

-snip-

Are you legitimately blaming a video game for causing your accident? Like, it's the video game's fault for "making you" want it so badly that you were in a rush?

I think your body's recovery must be going very well, because HOLY SHIT you can reach far.

But Awakening... Awakening, you all know I love/hate it and I expressed my distaste for it clearly without trying to not cause trouble (and I can still express it!).

But Awakening had a soul. Awakening was itself. Awakening wanted to be a swansong. Awakening was mindless fun.

This sums in up so perfectly. Awakening for all its many flaws had heart to it. You really got the sense that the developers poured their love for the series into it. And for all the things Fates does better than Awakeming, that feeling is not in Fates. So much of Fates feels forced, like they put it in simply because it worked in Awakening despite not fitting here, but they felt like they had to. So much of it feels rushed and lazy. And most of all it doesn't have as strong an identity.

So while Fates is objectivly the better game in terms of what I can give it in terms of logic, in terms of how they feel and made me feel, Awakening was the better game.

This sums in up so perfectly. Awakening for all its many flaws had heart to it. You really got the sense that the developers poured their love for the series into it. And for all the things Fates does better than Awakeming, that feeling is not in Fates. So much of Fates feels forced, like they put it in simply because it worked in Awakening despite not fitting here, but they felt like they had to. So much of it feels rushed and lazy. And most of all it doesn't have as strong an identity.

So while Fates is objectivly the better game in terms of what I can give it in terms of logic, in terms of how they feel and made me feel, Awakening was the better game.

It's great that you like Awakening so much, because I like it a lot, too. But, you're taking your feelings towards the game and acting like the developers feel that way, too.

It's great that you like Awakening so much, because I like it a lot, too. But, you're taking your feelings towards the game and acting like the developers feel that way, too.

Perhaps, but you definitely get the sense to put their all into Awakening because it was almost the last game. That's what I mean, I can feel that with Awakening. Fates meanwhile has a lot that feels lazy.

Now, you are right, I can't say for certain this is true. Really its more of the sense I got from playing the game, which may or may not be correct. Perhaps what feels like not caring was due to rushed deadlines or overreaching, for example. But yeah, really what I said is conjecture as I do not actually know what actually happened in regards to what decisions were made.

Edited by TheWerdna

Perhaps, but you definitely get the sense to put their all into Awakening because it was almost the last game. That's what I mean, I can feel that with Awakening. Fates meanwhile has a lot that feels lazy.

Now, you are right, I can't say for certain this is true. Really its more of the sense I got from playing the game, which may or may not be correct. Perhaps what feels like not caring was due to rushed deadlines or overreaching, for example. But yeah, really what I said is conjecture as I do not actually know what actually happened in regards to what decisions were made.

I'm inclined to argue that they really didn't put their all into Awakening.

The map design was lazy, the balance was nonexistent, and the music was lackluster. Fates (especially Conquest) has a lot more thought into it in all three of those regards, in my opinion.

I think the only part where they were really "lazy" in Fates was with the children. "Yeah, uh...well, see, you somehow managed to have a baby immediately after you got married, and then you jammed it into an alternate dimension where they aged faster. It makes sense, trust us."

But yeah, it probably is a subjective thing. Your experience with the game is still totally valid, because it's your own. Pretty cool how two people can look at the same thing and have a totally different opinion about it, tbh.

I'm inclined to argue that they really didn't put their all into Awakening.

The map design was lazy, the balance was nonexistent, and the music was lackluster. Fates (especially Conquest) has a lot more thought into it in all three of those regards, in my opinion.

I think the only part where they were really "lazy" in Fates was with the children. "Yeah, uh...well, see, you somehow managed to have a baby immediately after you got married, and then you jammed it into an alternate dimension where they aged faster. It makes sense, trust us."

But yeah, it probably is a subjective thing. Your experience with the game is still totally valid, because it's your own. Pretty cool how two people can look at the same thing and have a totally different opinion about it, tbh.

In terms of gameplay Fates certainly did more. That I won't even try to argue against.

I would say there were more lazy elements than just the kids. Like the returning and cloned Awakening characters rather than make more new ones a let Fates be its own thing. And the support conversations were another one where Fates felt lazier. While a lot of the supports were really bad in Awakening, they were generally memorable (even if they were memorable for being bad a good portion of the time). In Fates most of the supports were short, and generally just boring. For the past part are barely remember them. Yes some do stand out, but its feels like less of them do (perhaps this is a symptom of having way more supports and thus spent less time on each one.)

Another thing is certain DLC, mainly Future Past vs Heirs of Fate. The later just feels like someone went "people liked Future Past a lot, lets just do that again despite really not making as much thematic sense for Fates plot." I mean, I loved Future Past so much I wrote fanfictiom based around it. Heirs of Fate I couldn't even be bothered to get (except I will get part 6 since Takumi needs his Proximity Shot). Though I could write an entire essay regarding all of my problems with Heirs of Fate, so I will stop this here before I go on a complete rant.

Its weird, but I think I'd like Fates more if it was less like Awakening. If I wanted to just play Awakening again I would rather just play Awakening. I wish Fates tried to be more of its own thing instead of just straddling a line.

In terms of gameplay Fates certainly did more. That I won't even try to argue against.

I would say there were more lazy elements than just the kids. Like the returning and cloned Awakening characters rather than make more new ones a let Fates be its own thing. And the support conversations were another one where Fates felt lazier. While a lot of the supports were really bad in Awakening, they were generally memorable (even if they were memorable for being bad a good portion of the time). In Fates most of the supports were short, and generally just boring. For the past part are barely remember them. Yes some do stand out, but its feels like less of them do (perhaps this is a symptom of having way more supports and thus spent less time on each one.)

Another thing is certain DLC, mainly Future Past vs Heirs of Fate. The later just feels like someone went "people liked Future Past a lot, lets just do that again despite really not making as much thematic sense for Fates plot." I mean, I loved Future Past so much I wrote fanfictiom based around it. Heirs of Fate I couldn't even be bothered to get (except I will get part 6 since Takumi needs his Proximity Shot). Though I could write an entire essay regarding all of my problems with Heirs of Fate, so I will stop this here before I go on a complete rant.

Its weird, but I think I'd like Fates more if it was less like Awakening. If I wanted to just play Awakening again I would rather just play Awakening. I wish Fates tried to be more of its own thing instead of just straddling a line.

I can totally see where you're coming from. I was really disappointed with the supports, too, though I agree with you that they were generally not as bad as Awakening's worst ones. But the best Awakening supports completely outshine the best Fates supports. I did find the humor in Fates to be a lot funnier than in Awakening, though--especially the humor in Keaton's supports.

This might be a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I actually love that Severa, Inigo, and Owain came back. I just wish they were better units, haha. I definitely don't dig the Hoshidan kids of 1st gen Awakening, though. It's a little different than the thing with Inigo, Severa, and Owain, because those three are LITERALLY the same characters, while the Hoshidan units are pretty much unnecessary tributes.

I haven't played Heirs of Fate yet, but I am one of the people who loved Future Past. I can't comment on that.

And yeah, I do wish that Fates tried to distance itself a little bit more from Awakening. I don't mind the 3 Awakening kids coming back, but I don't think that everything Awakening did should exactly become a new staple of the franchise.

Like the returning and cloned Awakening characters rather than make more new ones a let Fates be its own thing.

Echoing the above sentiment: I actually really liked Owain, Inigo and Severa being around (but not the Hoshido clone trio). It's a lot like how Camus and three Whitewings turn up in FE2, an otherwise unrelated story to FE1.

Thinking about this thread, I went back and started a new Awakening game. Just played it on Hard (lol) so there was no challenge. I've played Awakening about 6 times and Fates various routes about 9. But one thing I realized is that even though I played Fates many more times, I have significantly more playtime on Awakening. I think that gets to a couple of things that make Awakening the better game for me:

1) The Endgame

To be fair, Fates still hasn't released all their endgame content, but what they have is absolute garbage. So many pre-set units. I get it, they want to ensure there is a challenge, but what they have accomplished is to make it so that I have no connection to the units. Like the current Heirs of Fate arc. None of these kids are ones I created so I really don't care. Further part of the fun of this game is building your units the way you want to take on the game. This just circumvents this.

By contrast, Awakening just blows Fates out of the water. Hubba and his nonsense, Future Past, even the one-offs like Five-Anna are great.

2) Limits

Like I said earlier in the thread, I don't understand why the nerfed so much from Awakening while allowing a much easier to abuse system. Currently, after many castle visits and a careful breeding program, I have a great collection of skills for every character. I like that in a way, but when playing Awakening now, I am having fun trying to figure out who should go with whom to make the kids great.

It's not that the limits make it better, it's that the limits are honest. In Fates, most of the limits can be so easily circumvented they might as well not be there.

3) Corrin

Corrin is a truly awful main character. Robin/Chrom just have so much more personality and depth, IMO. The unjustified love that all the characters have for Corrin just makes it all the worst.

All that said, the gameplay is just miles better on Fates, it's not even close. Fates could have been better than Awakening in every respect, but their ruined it with a ridiculous story and a few bad mechanics. The game is still phenomenal, but I lament what could have been.

I liked awakening a lot, but I feel Fates did a much better job at implenting several mechanics, particularly pair up, which felt really random in awakening. I liked the characters in fates a lot more, with many of them being very well developed (through support conversations that is). I really liked the idea of royals having retainers and I hope that is expanded upon in future games. That being said, I found the world building in both games to be very weak compared to previous games, mainly since the games never gave the player exposition on the world Like in previous games such as binding blade. I think giving the player some background on the locations would have solved a lot of the issues I had with both games story. Children in fates were also terribly implemented.

I honestly think that's where all the charm comes from. They wanted to include every idea that they had had for a long time but never implemented (or reimplemented), as well as honoring the series' past. Now, I believe they bit off more than they could chew, but I'd say the same thing about Radiant Dawn and Fates - and I really like Radiant Dawn and Fates' gameplay, for the most part.

This is, of course, entirely subjective and I've got no proof for it, but I feel a lot more passion coming from Awakening than Fates, and if memory serves, the developers admitted in the Iwata Asks interview that they were burned-out after Awakening, and had used up their primary ideas, which was one of the reasons as to why they had someone else write the story. Feel free to correct me on that though.

You guys kinda make me sad...

TheSilentChloey has presented a few illogical arguments about the games, but at least she knows about respect. Respect is something I expect from everyone on Serenes. This is just shameful.

Perhaps had you calmly explained your opinions instead of burning her at the stake, we wouldn't be in this mess. Those involved know what I'm talking about.

Maybe we all need to listen to this old song again:

but at least she knows about respect.

Calling people elitists isn't respectful.

From what I see, others pointed out why her opinions aren't exactly super justifiable.

It only escalated after that because other people found her logical arguments ridiculous.

And she played the "elitist" and "I'm the victim because I'm a newcomer" card when absolutely *no one but Loki* was ripping her for her skill.

Some of us here are perfectly calm.

It's just hard to express that in text and when we express how ridiculous something is.

As for how Fates handled newcomers (actually relevant to the topic)

Not even I, the king of the FE Newcomer White Knights, could really defend her newcomer perspective.

Granted, people like Shin expressed their subtle shots at her, but it was so stealthy that people probably missed it.

I honestly don't think it can get any easier than Phoenix. And some people (I've seen some of my followers say so) need that difficulty option.

Especially for Conquest.

Their statement implied that it's "unfair" because newcomers "should at least" be able to beat it on Normal Casual.

That implies that the person who made that statement thinks that using Phoenix mode is beneath them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix came into existence because of Conquest.

Like just from my own perspective, Normal Classic/Casual on Conquest is still a wonderful puzzle for mid-level FE veterans.

There was a problem of catering to one side more while not losing accessibility for those who can't handle Conquest's difficulty.

I honestly think Phoenix Mode was the best solution.

Because Awakening, while fun, pales in comparison to Conquest's map design and objectives.

Edited by shadowofchaos

You guys kinda make me sad...

TheSilentChloey has presented a few illogical arguments about the games, but at least she knows about respect. Respect is something I expect from everyone on Serenes. This is just shameful.

Perhaps had you calmly explained your opinions instead of burning her at the stake, we wouldn't be in this mess. Those involved know what I'm talking about.

She wasn't being respectful at all.

I've already spoken but,

I think the supports in Fates are way better than the ones in Awakening.

With most of the supports in Awakening, supports really never fleshed out the character and just reinforced the trope that they were and were mostly played up for laughs. While in previous titles, many of the supports were shorter but they did a better job developing the character. imo the oly character who showed any growth through his supports in Awakening was Lon'qu

I'll admit that Fates does have a lot of supports written up for laughs, there are a lot of supports that do develop the characters better, like Sailas, Niles, Sakura, and Effie, just to name a few.

while the characters aren't as funny I feel that the supporting cast is better written. and they don't rely 100% on modern anime tropes.

also, Shura is the best written avatar only character.

EDIT: if I remember correctly I read that in one of the famatsu translations that Conquest is the direct reason phenox mode exists

I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix came into existence because of Conquest.

Edited by Captain Karnage

-Snip-

Well Conquest certainly threw me for a loop that's for sure. An unexpected loop that probably made me a little more upset then what I should have been to start with, especially since it was the "harder" version of Fates. Perhaps I wasn't as respectful as I should have been, but some of my points do still stand about Fates because I am not the sort to lie about things like that. What I have said is the truth, I have no reason to lie.

Awakening (despite the fact I can't get past chapter 3 on hard mode but doubtless I will try) was and is my most played Fire Emblem game. I can have fun, but still be rightly challenged by it, even on Normal mode which one would think I could do completely deathless (I failed at chapter 7; however I still managed to work out what I did wrong and fixed it the second time around). Suffice to say that doesn't happen. I still lose units even in Normal mode. I did happen to forget that I couldn't get past "Marth" in chapter 4 for nearly two years and finally had a break through on my first run when I started to pay more attention to what I was doing. Then I foolishly deleated the file. T.T

Fire Emblem Fates Conquest was a bloodbath. Litterally. Everyone, even Corrin/Kamui kept dying and it is frustraiting as hell trying to figure out where I'm going wrong or what I'm doing that is wrong. Suffice to say that my frustraions are compatively naive then to those who get through Hard mode and higher. Add to that I knew that there were units like Elise that just needed a little training and to not be able to do that as of the time I got the game was only adding to my despair because the DLC wasn't realeased in my region yet. The game just wasn't fun, the story was dull, (although Awakening doesn't get a pass here either because sure the story was dull but it did manage to have some moments to laugh at and of course made me cry when Emmeryn was killed) and I found the ending rushed. At least from Conquest's perspective.

Fire Emblem Fates Revelation did change some of the problems that I had with Conquest, but it had an ending that was drawn out because the bad guy just didn't want to go down. No amout of training would or could prepare my units for that fight. And still despite all the effort I put into their survival, they kept dying. If that isn't frustraiting then I must be comppletely naive as to what is.

Edited by TheSilentChloey

I like both Awakening and Fates, though after dumping a huge time investment of over 900 hours into Awakening, I'm not in much of a mood to replay Awakening, especially since I've already beaten Lunatic+ Classic.

Fates is nice in that it's no longer "avatar/lord and child units only, Final Destination" unlike how Awakening's postgame can be thanks to skill buying. My Castle is also a pretty neat diversion.

I honestly miss meeting and recruiting legacy characters (though they stink in that their battle models were based on the avatar creation system, with unique hair colors).

However, I'm not going to be blind and say that both games are not without issue. Awakening's gameplay is unbalanced (old news) and the DLC frequently reuses maps (many of which don't offer much reward aside from an Einherjar legacy character). If Einherjars weren't a thing, several DLC maps can be easily skipped.

Fates' DLC has yet to offer much that is particularly substantial as many of the rewards are blatantly disc-locked content. Heck, disc-locked content is being used by the AI during the story (#BlameTakumi for running Point Blank and Bold Stance and blame Hinoka for running Wing Shield). I'm honestly not a fan of the whole story routes being separate versions to purchase and hope that that stays as a Fates-only thing. Much of the DLC can be obtained by the player via cheating/hacking without needing the DLC. And there's so much disc-locked content like "route-exclusive" characters and such.

I'm also not approving of the fact that in both games, the Unit Logbook's unit limit is 99. There are so many units I'd want to put in there than the amount of space the Logbook has.

Edited by Roflolxp54

Hey, my IRL friends, who are not into FE as much as me and don't check FE communities, they also are not into Phoenix mode and said they'd rather play Conquest on Casual. Yep, I guess some newcomers and/or casuals are embarassed of using Phoenix mode.

I think this could be an interesting topic, albeit for another thread.

One issue I have with Awakening is that, even if casual friendly, it doesn't really teach you how to play it, and trust me I saw a lot of newcomers who had no idea of what they were doing. I wonder if Fates did better in that regard. Heck, I wonder if FE knows how to teach newcomers how to play itself.