What happens if you kill everyone off?

In Fire Emblem 11, killing most of your units off was the only way to access the gaiden chapters.

In Fates, I just think you're stuck with half a team.

Does it give you generic grunts like Valkyria Chronicles?

Or say you kill only half your team. Do you have to play the rest of the game with only half a team?

Yeah I've never played Fire Emblem before. Just curious.

In classic mode your units die forever and they are not coming back (and if any of the main Lords die it is a game over, you have to retry the map), FE 1-11 only have this mode. Some of them will continue to show up in cut scenes (as indicated by a retreating death quote), while others will stay dead and the cut scenes will reflect it. But in FE 14's (Fates) case the game story runs on the assumption that you are playing casual mode therefore cut scenes never change if a person is dead unlike previous games in the series.

In Casual mode they come back to life after the map ends. You can also save at anytime as a bonus in FE 14.

In Phoenix mode they come back after a couple turns. This mode is exclusive to FE 14.

TLDR with classic mode on if you kill half your army you kill half your army and so on any unit that dies in fire emblem will stay dead period, so if you killed everyone you would have to solo the game with your Lord.

Edited by Locke087

LOL. This topic made me laugh for some reason.

I'm assuming you'd be stuck with half a team. I thought about killing off all the people to see what would happen during gameplay but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

LOL. This topic made me laugh for some reason.

I'm assuming you'd be stuck with half a team. I thought about killing off all the people to see what would happen during gameplay but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I'm glad it made you laugh. Yeah, I'm just a weird kind of person who thinks about doing weird stuff like that in video games.

Thanks for the answers.

Locke, that's weird. It assumes you're in casual? I guess that means most people play in it, though. Kind of weird though seeing dead characters back to life and acting like it's just another day in the kingdom.

Rezzy, that's actually pretty cool. Unlockable content. Was it story based or just from a gameplay perspective, like an extra bonus thing?

FE11 gave you dump units like you say. FE1 and FE11 also gave you replacements by having certain characters only join in Gaiden chapters that are opened when units die. FE2 let you revive units, too.

Other FE games, though, you're just stuck with whomever you have left. In Awakening and Fates, though, you can use Spotpass or the Logbook to recruit Einherjar, so you can always get more units.

Rezzy, that's actually pretty cool. Unlockable content. Was it story based or just from a gameplay perspective, like an extra bonus thing?

They are sidestories that acknowledge folks are dying. For example, one late-joining character is important to the plot for a power she has. If she dies, the story pulls out a side chapter to explain how Marth deals with that, and gives you another character to replace her.

It's worth noting that they aren't canon, though, since they made a sequel where everyone comes back, so nobody could have died in FE1.

Edited by gayserbeam

Locke, that's weird. It assumes you're in casual? I guess that means most people play in it, though. Kind of weird though seeing dead characters back to life and acting like it's just another day in the kingdom.

Yep it is weird, though in this game none of them give a death quote they are all retreat quotes, it's kind of lame. It takes away the guilt tripping of letting a person die a bit as well making the game feel a bit less dynamic. But frankly I don't think it has as much to do with more people playing casual (which is maybe true maybe not) as a developer just not in wanting to make multiple situations for cut scenes anymore. Edited by Locke087

Can't speak for the 3DS games, but in most FEs, you don't get replacements. Dead characters stay dead - characters with essential dialogue always end up retreating and too injured to fight on if reduced to 0 HP. Only the Lords need to stay alive.

FE11/12 - the DS ones - did give you generics to fill up to the maximum deployment of the map you were on.

Yep it is weird, though in this game none of them give a death quote they are all retreat quotes, it's kind of lame. It takes away the guilt tripping of letting a person die a bit as well making the game feel a bit less dynamic. But frankly I don't think it has as much to do with more people playing casual (which is maybe true maybe not) as a developer just not in wanting to make multiple situations for cut scenes anymore.

It's more of because of the children characters as well as the plot -- Awakening is quite similar because the mother characters as well as some plot-important characters retire rather than explicitly die. For example, if you were to play Awakening in Classic mode and got Virion wrecked in his joining chapter, it wouldn't make any sense for him to suddenly show up during Ch. 12's opening cutscene if he were to be dead. Similarly, it wouldn't make sense if Lissa and Frederick still show up in cutscenes after they get defeated in battle and were killed in battle rather than retire.

Of course, Fates pulls something similar for these reasons though the localization team probably didn't spend as much time as they should have.

[spoiler=Revelation spoiler as an example]

Scarlet is explicitly killed off in the Revelation route because of the plot. However, in the epilogue portion of the staff credits, she's shown to have "Retired" rather than get killed.

It's worth noting that they aren't canon, though, since they made a sequel where everyone comes back, so nobody could have died in FE1.

I guess that it also means that the portion of the prologue where Marth sacrifices one of his cavaliers, Doga, or Shota Ramsey isn't canon either. Either that, or it suggests Marth has someone use the Aum staff to resurrect that person.

Also - and I haven't really read too much into this or seen it myself since I always immediately reset when a unit dies - don't all non-royal characters besides Subaki and Silas (since they always show up in the Paralogues) actually die if you let them get defeated instead of just being permanently benched? Or at least some of them?

Like the ones that show up in Revelation as missable recruits that can die, like Benny and Charlotte.

Then again, with what Rofl said in the spoiler, I somehow doubt it would be consistently reflected anyway.

Also - and I haven't really read too much into this or seen it myself since I always immediately reset when a unit dies - don't all non-royal characters besides Subaki and Silas (since they always show up in the Paralogues) actually die if you let them get defeated instead of just being permanently benched? Or at least some of them?.

all 1st gen male units "live" even if they reach 0 HP on classic due to the children stuff. I believe same was true for awakening with female characters.

Edited by darkestdarkness

I guess that it also means that the portion of the prologue where Marth sacrifices one of his cavaliers, Doga, or Shota Ramsey isn't canon either. Either that, or it suggests Marth has someone use the Aum staff to resurrect that person.

[spoiler=FE12 spoiler]

In base conversations (similar to support conversations), it's revealed that Frey is the canon sacrifice. Also, Aum staff CANNOT be used to bring back the sacrifice (likely because if going by canon, Frey survives but only barely).

I killed off all but six or seven on my first play-thru because I didn't like the cast. I was stuck beating the game with them. After 300 hours and many play-thrus later, about 10-15 of them have grown on me. Haha!
It's one of my favorite games now. Somehow. I don't understand how my mind works..

Edited by AutumnShantel

It's possible to get generic characters in Fates, but it's a wee bit complicated. There's a shop that'll give you the ghosts of certain characters, and then there's bond units, which take a while to make, but are free.

It's not quite that simple, because the characters unique to the FE11 gaidens (Horace, etc.) also return in FE12, so clearly recruiting them is canon, just killing off your PCs to get them isn't. Which doesn't really make much sense, but RPGs pretty commonly assume you can have your cake and eat it too so I shouldn't be too surprised.

In theory between the Einherjar Shop and capturing you could replace any losses, but they're generally not gonna be as good. There are some cheap Einherjar available in the store by default though, so that's sort of like having generic replacements.