Feldmarschall Rommel on: Alcohol

Moblin Major General

So, yesterday, I turned 21 (anyone who happens to check the birthdays would know this). I live in the US, which means I was able to have my first taste of alcohol... and I hated it. My older sister said I would get used to it, but as far as I'm concerned, I don't see myself really doing it that much. I know there are a lot of people around my age group on SF, so I want to know, What was your first drink like, what was it, and how often do you drink? Mine was a honey beer and a taste of chocolate liqueur and vodka mix, with the former being rather bitter, and the latter starting off tasting like too dark dark chocolate and liquid Nyquil that burned my throat(that still hurts, mind you.)

Happy Belated Birthday

I'm 29, and I almost never drink. I never really cared for it, and I don't find the idea of being drunk appealing. My family has a history of some alcoholism, so it's kinda turned me off from it from a very young age.

did you get drunk and post this topic three times bruv

happy birthday though

Yeah, you might want to delete the other two topics.

Edited by Rezzy

So, yesterday, I turned 21 (anyone who happens to check the birthdays would know this). I live in the US, which means I was able to have my first taste of alcohol... and I hated it.

That was exactly my reaction too when I drank my first beer on a students party (after people forced me to do it).

Since that experience NEVER AGAIN!

Even the smell of beer is disgusting for me.

It's still pathetic that you still will be excluded of a group for not "being cool" in form of refusing to drink beer or other shorts on parties.

Actually the cool people are who are reasonable and say "no" to sth. they don't want to try out because they don't like.

I can live happily with soda or fruit juices.

Oh almost forgot: Happy belated birthday.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

i had my first beer when i was 15, and even today it tastes like shit. i prefer vodka and gin with whatever mixer i have lying around. yes you still heavily taste alcohol, but i drink to loosen up after weeks of tension with exams. i know a lot of people who think they have a higher ground than me, my friends because they dont drink. if we're accepting of those people not drinking, they should be accepting of us drinking. but its okay because their shit personalities will probably cost them important job/internship interviews. but there are drinks that taste really good, usually those that are on the sweet side but you shouldnt have too much of those since they will likely fuck you up.

but props to you for waiting till 21 to have your first drink. i doubt very few people can say that. put that on resume.

That was exactly my reaction too when I drank my first beer on a students party (after people forced me to do it).

Since that experience NEVER AGAIN!

Even the smell of beer is disgusting for me.

It's still pathetic that you still will be excluded of a group for not "being cool" in form of refusing to drink beer or other shorts on parties.

Actually the cool people are who are reasonable and say "no" to sth. they don't want to try out because they don't like.

I can live happily with soda or fruit juices.

Oh almost forgot: Happy belated birthday.

Luckily, it was my family, and they only made fun of the faces I made when it went down. Had I been able to look at myself, I probably would've thought it funny also.

I never have drank because my dad is a mean horrid alcoholic and if you are type one diabetic alcohol can make you have a low blood sugar and go in to a coma so I avoid drinking. I don't have a problem with single people drinking if they want, but if you have a kid then I think you should chose if you want your kid or booze because you can't have both and have a kid who wants to be around you. Trust me after the time when I was a kid and I Needed new cloths because I had outgrown/worn out every thing I owned and my dad could have bought me new cloths with his money he bought booze instead and I had to wait 2 months before my mom had the money to buy me some new cloths, that day I figured out what came first with my dad and I know it wasn't me. He drinks stuff that smells horrid and I would not touch with a ten foot pole, I hope that there is booze that smells decent because otherwise I can't figure out how people would want to drink.

Edit I forgot to say Happy Birthday and I hope you have a good year.

Edited by EricaofRenais

My first drink was at the age of 12, I regret nothing.

I doubt there was anything to regret, especially if it was your parent that gave it to you. The phrase "privacy of your own home" applies here. Even if they didn't, you decided not to tread the slippery slope after doing it, because you knew the last thing about alcohol you needed to.

I first remember drinking beer when I was like 3. It wasn't a full can by any means, but enough for me to learn I didn't like it.

""alcohol"" isn't a taste is the thing, there's even incredible variety in just beer tastes without branching out to wine, liquor, and liqueurs. it's cool to teetote, but there isn't really a "taste of alcohol"

i'm a beer man myself, never touch the hard stuff - i think my first experience was a glass of mead my dad asked if i wanted to taste when i was 11 and i drank the remaining like 5 ounces in a swift slurp.

a good night, that

""alcohol"" isn't a taste is the thing, there's even incredible variety in just beer tastes without branching out to wine, liquor, and liqueurs. it's cool to teetote, but there isn't really a "taste of alcohol"

i'm a beer man myself, never touch the hard stuff - i think my first experience was a glass of mead my dad asked if i wanted to taste when i was 11 and i drank the remaining like 5 ounces in a swift slurp.

a good night, that

Not all things with alcohol taste the same, but of all the types I've tried, they all have that base taste that I can always make out.

I drank some eggnog that had bourbon in it, and I could immediately recognize the alcohol taste, even though I didn't know what type it was at the time.

In the Czech Republic alcohol is very important to the culture so I've had it a number of times. The beer here is quite good. In any case, happy birthday, and feel free to have any opinion you like about alcohol (unless you think it's secretly a conspiracy by ants to take over the world because that's just weird, man).

Edited by blah the Prussian

I grew up in the UK, which has a pretty heavy drinking culture.

I can't even remember my first taste of alcohol. I'm pretty sure my parents - who are neither alcoholics, nor do they drink regularly (my dad maybe has a drink a week at most) probably gave me my first sip of wine at 4 or 5 years old.

I was never particularly fond of wine, but I always opted to have it at Sunday lunches because it was the grown up thing to do.

Whenever we visited my grandparents, my grandfather would give us a glass of sherry while we waited for food. Sherry's pretty sweet, so I've always enjoyed it. My late grandmother would make trifle with a whole bottle of sherry. At Christmas, my mom serves Christmas pudding (which contains a large quantity of alcohol to begin with) with brandy butter and rum sauce - both very sweet.

Vodka's a tough one to actually like the taste of unless it's heavily mixed or you're buying top-grade.

Between the ages of 16-20 I drank rarely, but heavily when I did. My tolerance was much higher and it was just the thing to do at parties. I was always fortunate to avoid a hangover - I've had two hangovers in my life. By heavily, I definitely had 14 cocktails at one party, but it was spread over the course of several hours (and accompanied by food/water), so I was intoxicated but not in danger of passing out. I liked a lot of bacardi & coke or southern comfort & coke (the latter's pretty sweet tasting).

Since then I drink neither often nor heavily. At college cost was an issue - I was on an extremely tight budget - so I probably only drank about 3-4 times a year.

I had a period of several years where I probably drank even less than that - 1-2 times a year. These days I might have a drink a week - usually a fruity ale these days. I've grown to appreciate both the taste and the mild relaxation feeling I get.

One of the benefits of being pregnant is people don't give you a hard time for not drinking when you're at parties.

my first drink was by accident, I confused my brother-in-laws whiskey for my pepsi (I wasn't looking) and drank everything he had left in that glass, gave me an instant buzz and tasted like ass

regardless still waiting to hit 21

Even though I'm not a huge fan of drinking, I think it's silly that the drinking age is 21. You're legally an adult in every other way at 18, so I don't see the logic behind the restriction.

Even though I'm not a huge fan of drinking, I think it's silly that the drinking age is 21. You're legally an adult in every other way at 18, so I don't see the logic behind the restriction.

In Germany its 16 and in the Czech Republic its de facto 0. The police just don't give a fuck.

Edited by blah the Prussian

I agree. Plus, although I'm not a huge fan of alcohol (despite my history!), it was fun to be able to drink at college when I could afford it.

One of the benefits of being pregnant is people don't give you a hard time for not drinking when you're at parties.

Despite the huge drinking culture, I never had anyone give me a hard time if I chose to drink water instead in the UK. Drinking itself always seemed no big deal. It's just there. I feel as if the high drinking age in the U.S. perhaps places undue importance on it.

Edited by Res

I agree in a way With Rezzy, where I live you can drink when your 18 but you can't get married until you're 21 without your parents permission. I think that system works better overall. As for me, like some have said, I am not a heavy drinker and I turned 18 last year so it's more of a beginner on that. I have a disposition for wines more than beers if anything and I'm noticeably on the lighter side of taste, but I have noticed I have a high tolerance for alcohol in general the oft time I was tasked to drink something real heavy.

Overall, I don't drink that much, and I certainly don't do it often. I relieve stress in other ways like having a good old run and my food priorities and low income leave me a bit hands tied for more luxury type foods which I consider wine and beer to be. Even at parties, I'm more of a water or Pepsi guy. Just don't force yourself if you don't like it and everything will be fine, dont give in to any peer pressure and you are golden.

Edited by Raguna

I agree in a way With Rezzy, where I live you can drink when your 18 but you can't get married until you're 21 without your parents permission. I think that system works better overall. As for me, like some have said, I am not a heavy drinker and I turned 18 last year so it's more of a beginner on that. I have a disposition for wines more than beers if anything and I'm noticeably on the lighter side of taste, but I have noticed I have a high tolerance for alcohol in general the oft time I was tasked to drink something real heavy.

Overall, I don't drink that much, and I certainly don't do it often. I relieve stress in other ways like having a good old run and my food priorities and low income leave me a bit hands tied for more luxury type foods which I consider wine and beer to be. Even at parties, I'm more of a water or Pepsi guy. Just don't force yourself if you don't like it and everything will be fine, dont give in to any peer pressure and you are golden.

I didn't get married until I was 25, I wasn't aware there were places that didn't let you marry until 21. I moved out when I was 18, and I'm not sure how I would have felt if I had to ask my parents' permission to get married. Granted, I didn't have anyone I could have married back then, but the principle still applies.

Unfortunately, I CAN see why the drinking age is 21. The US has a habit of passing "shield laws" as I term them, where the law is meant to protect as many people as possible from something that is widely seen as bad by nearly everyone. Drunk Driving is a huge and growing problem in the US, even with widespread education on alcohol. I know that in Europe, driving ages are higher than drinking ages sometimes. Not so in the US, if only because the US is equal to almost 2 of Europe. It may seem dumb, and considering it stands out among the rights appropriated at age 18, there is a justifiable reason for the 3 year waiting period.