Should some of the children in Fates "return" in the next game?

Rend Keaven

137 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see some of Fates children "return" in the next FE game?

• Yes, it was a fun idea in Fates and can expand the story of these characters.
    • No, I'd rather see new characters and it's a lazy attempt to expand the roster.
    • Meh,

Fates introduced the characters Odin, Selena and Laslow, who bared a stricken resemblance to familiar children characters in Awakening. I'm curious to see if you would like to see a few of the children characters in Fates return as units with new aliases and classes in the next Fire Emblem game. If so, who would you like to see comeback and what would their new identities and roles be in the next game in the series? If not feel free to expand your reasons for this.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much I like some members of the Fates cast, characters shouldn't be transferred over to new games (if it's a brand new world). They had their time to shine. Time to move aside for a new cast of characters. Fates as 6 characters taken directly from Awakening and more than a few others who are near expies.

As nice as it was seeing the Awakening trio again, I wouldn't want IntSys to do this a second time, especially because of how divisive the children in Fates were, both as a mechanic and as characters..

No.

It was bad enough they did it without any proper connections. Although Awakening itself opened up FE to this silly reality of multiverses in FE, so they probably will do it again -rolls eyes-

I would prefer new characters, but only because of how everyone exploded over the expies. Although if they had to do it, I wouldn't mind seeing Shiro and Shigure again.

I think Odin, Selena, and Laslow were expanded really well and kind of became their own characters in a sense ((as in they weren't quite as trope-a-licious as they were in FE13)), but that said I'd rather not see that done again. Rhajat, Caeldori, and Asugi on the other hand were a terrible idea and I really don't want that concept returning.

No.

It was bad enough they did it without any proper connections. Although Awakening itself opened up FE to this silly reality of multiverses in FE, so they probably will do it again -rolls eyes-

Basically this.

As much as I think Shigure, Shiro, Ophelia, and Forrest are cool happenin' dudes, no.

NO. I hated how Inigo, Severa, and Owain were shoehorned into Fates, and this is coming from a fan of two out of three of them (Owain being the only one I wasn't a big fan of. I don't hate him or anything, he's just eh to me. Besides, he references KIERAN AND IKE, I can't hate him). If you're going to bring back characters from a previous game, do it the way RD did and have it be a sequel story or something like that. Or how Awakening did with Tiki and have the character be someone who just lives a really freaking long time due to their race or some other effect.

Yes, at least like how Odin, Laslow, and Selena were handled. I love returning characters, and Laslow and Odin made me actually like Inigo and Owain. I already liked Severa If they're going to go out of their way to use Outrealms to establish this multiverse, USE THEM for something other than a lazy excuse for DLC. That's something Fates' plot did right imo, had the characters actually USE the outrealms for something without buying DLC, and showcase the realms actually causing each other shit.

Heck, I don't even care for much of Fates' second gen besides Midori and ironically enough considering how much I hate the character she's a clone of, Rhajat, and I wouldn't mind the second gen returning.

Uh no thanks. Can we just have an original game with an original roster? I didn't like the inclusion of the Awakening characters in Fates, it was the one problem I had with my husbando Subaki aside from his meh stats/growths. Using DLC to prove why they're in there is kinda of a lazy excuse. I'm fine with the Awakening Trio, not so much with the second gen trio.

I like some of the second gen characters but I wouldn't want them to travel to another world via Dragon's Gate shenanigans.

Edited by Fanatic&Ecstatic

No, I didn't like the fact that IS was rather lazy and reused a bunch of Awakening's characters in Fates and I want completely new characters in the next game.

I was quite happy to see the character development of Inigo/Laslow between the two games, so I wouldn't mind seeing actual characters from previous games if they can further develop the characters. I had a lot of reading Laslow's supports in Fates before even the Australian release, and many of it shows that he has grown up a bit. One of my examples outside of FE: The further character development of previous characters in Pokémon BW2 is what made me like some said characters I previously disliked. (Cheren is one such example for me. He seemed like a arrogant brat in BW1, but matured nicely like a vintage wine in BW2.)

However, I would have liked a bit more justification with the Fates children - I find the different dimension reason questionable. At least time travel from Awakening feels a bit more justified, story-wise. Ideally, though I want to have an actual generation change, and have the children pick up where the parents left off as in Genealogy of the Holy War.

Also, I never understood why Severa, Owain, and Inigo had to go through the Outrealm and have Fates as in another universe. It sounds rather unnecessarily convoluted. This was one case where I'd rather have Hoshido and Nohr just merely in a different continent to Ylisse (similar to the relationships between, say, Kanto-Johto and Unova or Kalos in Pokémon), and the three travel by ship. In fact, if I do a possible fanfic of Fates, this is the first thing I will change.

My verdict: Depends on the character, how s/he (or they) get to the new place, and how they do further character development. Unfortunately, that option is lacking in the polls so I'm not going to cast my vote yet. Of course, having the children in the next game is perfectly fine if the next ones is an actual sequel.

Edited by henrymidfields

They did a good job with Inigo, Severa and Owain for Fates but the children of Fates, in my opinion, don't ever deserve to be here.

So, no.

The problem I see is that it was fine as a one-time thing. I'd kinda like to see a sequel to Awakening that features them returning from Fates with Ophelia and Soleil but that's probably because I'd like to see more done with Ylisse, but honestly, the second gen characters in Fates were literally forced in because of how the feature was well received to some degree back in Awakening.

The second gen characters in Awakening were written well (certainly better than Fates at least). But in Fates we get literal carbon copies of them. Only one I really liked out of the Awakening rip-offs was Asugi, because he actually seems smarter than Gaius and makes sweets as bribes.

As for other carbon copies let's look at:

Arthur - Cynthia

Felicia - Sumia

Subaki - Cordelia

Selkie - Nowi

Jakob - Frederick

Peri - Henry

Hayato - Ricken

As much as I love Awakening and would like a kind of sequel as described above, reskinning characters and putting them in a new setting ISN'T what I wanted.

From my experiences, the 2nd Gen characters in Fates are largely spoiled brats.

Nope.

Even though I really love Inigo, Severa and Owain (especially because they were all my children in Awakening), I felt like it was very lazy to just add them with a bad explained backstory just to keep Awakening fans interested, as many of other characters.

About the Fates children, I just don't see anything interesting in them, mostly because of their personalities and the bad excuse to having them fighting as adults. There are some exceptions, like Forrest, but most part of them are just plain bad.

No. I already found it a weak move to have the Awakening trio return. I don't want a poor decision to become tradition.

The Fates children already have a mark against them because they only barely belong in Fates as it is. I'm not sure how placing them somewhere they belong even less then that is going to add anything meaningful to them.

I'm not against doing more with the kids but the only option to avoid it being cringeworthy is have a Fates sequel take place 20-ish years after the events of the game and make it crystal clear that the hyperbolic time nonsense wasn't cannon. I'd actually be all up for such a game considering how good the kids are as characters.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I'm not against doing more with the kids but the only option to avoid it being cringeworthy is have a Fates sequel take place 20-ish years after the events of the game and make it crystal clear that the hyperbolic time nonsense wasn't cannon. I'd actually be all up for such a game considering how good the kids are as characters.

I'd also be up for this game! I love at least half the Fates children (most more than the Awakening crowd).

nope nope and....nope..I liked having the trio again cause they were my favorite children in Awakening aside from Lucina, but I agree it was poorly explained how they came to be in the world of Fates. Someone else already said it but a large portion of the units you can get in the game are just reskins of Awakening characters with a few tweaks. like Hayato does seem like a reskin of Ricken but a bit more prideful and mature. the outrealms idea was tolerable in Awakening but Fates...just kind of ruined it for me. not to mention how the kids were introduced into the game thru outrealms was rather stupid. at least with Awakening, the kids were part of the story. they need to go about introducing the kids a different way because I do like a majority of the kids in Fates.