What if Roy got a second weapon upon promotion

Jotari

Ignoring Roy's woefully late promotion and how pointless levelling a second weapon would be with the Sword of Seals available, let's theorise for a moment what weapon might suit Roy if he got one on promotion like most lords. Personally I'd be thinking Anima Tomes since his teacher was Ceclia and in general he seems like the studious type. Plus fire motif, fire tomes just fits. Only issue really is that Game Boy Advance decided hybrid classes were stupid and removed them entirely but I consider that a separate issue.

Edited by Jotari

Honestly tomes would be the worst possible choice for him storywise. Celica distinctly says in Lilina's supports that she made sure NOT to teach him how to use magic because he lacks the talent for it. If anything, I'd have him pick up lances like his father.

I feel like bows would be right up his alley considering his standing as a commander who's better at strategy than combat (it allows him to distance himself from his target), his milk-brother uses them, and the convenient advantage over Bern's wyverns.

I really wanna say Dragonstones just to point out how unintentionally similar Roy and MU14 are if NinianXEliwood is canon, but going off of the above thought bows would work since he's most likely either Lyn's son or son in law through Lillina (I am of the mind that HectorXLyn is canon since Caelin is annexed into Ostia and that little exclusive convo they have in the final gaiden chapter if they have an A support, similar to Eliwood X Ninian having an altered ending to the final chapter)

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

Just give him crit bonus like any other non-sniper, single-weapon-locked class. Giving him a new weapon animation would be nice, but he'd also be original in being the only lord with a class-based crit bonus.

Roy has got a ton of problems though. Late promotion, pathetic stat caps, and doesn't even get a new animation for promoting.

But for sake of the question asked, I'd say lances, if for no other reason than our shortage of non-mounted lance wielders.

Despite the questionable logic of Cecilia teaching him swordplay, anima magic isn't a good idea. It'd be fun if he could, but it would retcon a point of Cecilia/Lilina.

Lances or Bows would probably be best, as stated, but I'm leaning toward lances since they are a thrust weapon like Rapiers.

...I'm having trouble picturing how Roy would wield it though, his Rapier animation is so awkward (Well, it's better than Ranger!Ike, but it's still awkward).

I do like the flair of a mage that can also cast magic and I also agree with the OP that it would kinda fit Roy's character. And honestly - changing one element in one single support wouldn't be such a big deal.

If we rule out magic/physical hybrids, I'd say lances plus a horse would be fitting. I always disliked how the promotion itself just gives Roy Bigger Numbers and that the only really new thing (1-2 range) comes from the Binding Blade. Making him a paladin-type lord would also somewhat suit an earlier promotion just before the route split. Giving the new general of the Etrurian Army a horse befitting his rank...

The best thing, obviously, would be a mounted sword+tome user, though. ;)

I do like the flair of a mage that can also cast magic and I also agree with the OP that it would kinda fit Roy's character. And honestly - changing one element in one single support wouldn't be such a big deal.

If we rule out magic/physical hybrids, I'd say lances plus a horse would be fitting. I always disliked how the promotion itself just gives Roy Bigger Numbers and that the only really new thing (1-2 range) comes from the Binding Blade. Making him a paladin-type lord would also somewhat suit an earlier promotion just before the route split. Giving the new general of the Etrurian Army a horse befitting his rank...

The best thing, obviously, would be a mounted sword+tome user, though. ;)

But if he had a horse we wouldn't have those sweet ass Sword of Seals animations.

I'd say either lances (due to Eliwood being his father and lances fitting Roy's stabbing fighting style quite well) or axes (due to Roy's mercenary portrayal in Awakening and SSB4, and heroes being the mercenaries' promotion and heroes being able to use axes). Though if I had to pick one, I suppose I'd personally go with lances.

• 1 month later...

I'd say either lances (due to Eliwood being his father and lances fitting Roy's stabbing fighting style quite well) or axes (due to Roy's mercenary portrayal in Awakening and SSB4, and heroes being the mercenaries' promotion and heroes being able to use axes). Though if I had to pick one, I suppose I'd personally go with lances.

Axes suck in FE6 because hit rate (I've seen them have sub-50 hit rate WITH weapon triangle advantage) so I would rather Roy use Lances, also, was it really to much to ask for Roy to get a horse?

Axes suck in FE6 because hit rate (I've seen them have sub-50 hit rate WITH weapon triangle advantage) so I would rather Roy use Lances, also, was it really to much to ask for Roy to get a horse?

Axes don't suck. The axe users outside of Geese, Lott, paladins and Echidna just have horrible accuracy issues.

But I'd give him lances or staves to be funny

No, Axes just have terrible hit rate, which is more amplified by FE6's stupid RNG

Actually, 6 uses the exact same RNG as 7. The only difference is that 6 is more difficult than 7, so when the RNG decides to not rule in your favor it often costs you more. Hence, the screwage is more memorable and 6 gets its bad reputation - especially with lower hit rates all around.

Actually, staves would be pretty cool. Being able to help keep his comrades alive via healing would be pretty fitting for his character, since he has the FE player no casualty mindset.

He'd have to start with a decent rank though, staves take forever to level compared to weapons.

Actually, 6 uses the exact same RNG as 7. The only difference is that 6 is more difficult than 7, so when the RNG decides to not rule in your favor it often costs you more. Hence, the screwage is more memorable and 6 gets its bad reputation - especially with lower hit rates all around.

Huh, really? I found Hard Mode 7 quite a bit harder than Hard Mode 6. Though Normal Mode 7 was in turn quite a bit easier than Normal Mode 6.

The thing about FE6 Hard is enemies have way more health than what your units can easily ORKO with iron in.

Yeah but there tended to be pretty reliable ways to avoid damage in turn. Those low hit rates are much more player beneficial than enemy beneficial on hard. Good terrain and weapon triangle use can make you near untouchable in a lot of situations. It also gives you some very capable late game pre promotes (most noticeably Perceval) ensuring growth rates won't screw you over. And while killing things can be hard, if you really need to dispatch an enemy then you have the legendary weapons to fall back, and while they have durability so you can't use them all the time, but you do get them pretty consistently throughout the game. Probably on average once every five chapters. Where's much of the difficulty in FE7 comes from bullshit thing it throws at you, most infamously Night of Farewells (and in my opinion the equally as annoying Genesis).

Being able to help keep his comrades alive via healing would be pretty fitting for his character, since he has the FE player no casualty mindset.

I don't remember this.

No, Axes just have terrible hit rate, which is more amplified by FE6's stupid RNG

At least half of the axe users have terrible skill, or a terrible axe rank (or are lolgeneral). Lott, Geese, Echidna, paladins (the prepromotes, since Alan and Lance will rarely use them) are decent axe users because they avoid those problems.

Now if you're gonna go throwing Gonz into a group of Wyverns, he's gonna miss half the time because of his skill. Throw one of the guys I mentioned above and more often than not he'll hit.

• 2 weeks later...

Give Roy light magic. I'd say this fits a lord better than anima/fire, wind, & thunder magic. Especially in Roy's case, because In a few supports (and a fan fiction I read, not that that it matters) light magic was based off of faith and devotion. Not necessarily nature training or bearing down on the elder studies. Plus We don't get any light magic users aside from promoted units, so it would fit the quota.

At least half of the axe users have terrible skill, or a terrible axe rank (or are lolgeneral). Lott, Geese, Echidna, paladins (the prepromotes, since Alan and Lance will rarely use them) are decent axe users because they avoid those problems.

Now if you're gonna go throwing Gonz into a group of Wyverns, he's gonna miss half the time because of his skill. Throw one of the guys I mentioned above and more often than not he'll hit.

Decent Axe Users, exactly, decent, not good, because axes suck, because Axes don't hit like ever