What artstyle would you like to see the next FE?

Harvey

So its obvious that from this forth, FE will be milked like all the other Nintendo IPs out there. But here's the thing, each installment came with a new artstyle (excluding some games) and one of the great things about Fire Emblem is the artstyle because it gives a certain charm for each character in Fire Emblem.

For the next game, I would like to see any one of the following artstyles to happen.

Akira Toriyama:

Chrono_Trigger_characters.jpg

His artstyle for Dragon Ball and Chrono trigger is one of the reasons why I like the characters so much. The way the art is presented just shows the characters in the simplistic form while at the same time, can easily fit into their personalities.

This artstyle is very simple and it can easily attract audiences all around. This artstyle for Fire Emblem can do wonders. You can have serious characters, odd characters and best of all, it can't ruin the feel of Fire Emblem. Bear in mind that the artstyle is one of the reasons that makes Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger memorable.

Granted, it might cause the next game to be more on a light hearted side but then again, some FE games don't have much of cold stuff there so this could be a good change of pace.

Ken Sugimori:

tumblr_m9t7vxonIY1rxldc4o1_1280.png

Now......when I mention this one, a lot of you will ask isn't this the guy that does/used to do the art for Pokemon?

Short answer....yes....yes.

But here's the thing. I feel personally that a lot of his designs are very creative and some of them I personally like like Starmie, Snorlax etc. And yes, the humans compared to the actual Pokemon are not so creative and tend to lack in some depth. Though frankly, that was intentional because the series is focused on Pokemon and less on the humans themselves.

So how can this be a good idea for Fire Emblem? .......just use that philosophy behind pokemon only instead of pokemon, its just humans and beasts and dragons and whatever the next FE can come up with.

Unfortunately, I know this is highly unlikely because....well first off, it all depends on whether he'll be interested to design tons of characters only humans instead of pokemon. Secondly, since I'm the only minority here, others will see this not happen for the next FE game. And thirdly, this art style seems too.....bland unless it will have the same human structure as Pokemon.

so yeah....I understand why this can't happen but I'm interested in it nonetheless.

Eiichiro Oda:

15th_int2_00.jpg

oh boy........why would I want this artstyle to begin with? I mean, I got bored of one piece before the seven year arc even happened and yet for some reason, there's something about the artstyle that makes me want to like literally make me feel that this can somehow work.

Yes, the characters are very very simple and majority of the parts are deformed in odd ways whatsoever. But here's the twist. Oda-San doesn't just draw a character but he first develops a personality of the character and ensures that what he draws fits that personality. For example, Luffy's stupidity is the reason why he has the gum gum devil fruit power and the funny thing is, it fits the character perfectly.

But what does this do with FE? There's a good chance we can get several characters with great personalities and just blatantly ignore their designs which means we can possibly get less fanservice and more of the character development here. Yes, the female characters with the exception of their faces are just the same proportions most of the time but then again, there's very little fan service in the series and if you remove Sanji, there's literally no fan service there unless if I'm not mistaken.

Or...screw it, just put the same old artstyle from previous games!

Meh...why not. I like the art from the GBA games and that of the Grandbell era. Plus I'm also loving the hell out of the art from Yusuke Kozaki so yeah, draw stuff that prints easy money I guess.

So what artstyle would you like to see in the next FE game? Let's all hear out! (And if you don't like what I've mentioned, that's ok as I'm pretty dumb to think that it can even be possible to happen.)

Edited by Harvey

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything that isn't like FE1's(which has hilariously bad portraits) or FE4's(80s hair everywhere!). I do like the official character art for the GBA games, as well as the in-game portraits and official character art for the post-GBA games, so any of those artstyles are fine by me.

I'd like to see Akihiko Yoshida (The Designer for FF Tactics and the Bravely Series) or Kazuma Kaneko (Shin Megami Tensei) design the characters. Or the Designer of Chain Chronicles and SmtXFE, toi8. I also would not mind to see Kozaki return. No matter who would design the characters, IS should fire their art director and tone down the fanservice though.

After playing the Danganronpa games, I would like an FE with character designs by Rui Komatsuzaki. I find the style fitting but distinct enough to give the next game in the series a unique look.

Minority opinion, but I would also love a more light-hearted entry that uses a chibi style for its characters, kinda like Bravely Default or Legend of Legacy. Although I wouldn't mind an even sillier approach with designs by Ko Takeuchi (Warioware, Rhythm Heaven).

I would like to see Akihiro Yoshida because, after playing Final Fantasy Tactics, I begun to love it.

Also, another possibility I want to see happen is the return of the designer of Shadow Dragon and New Mistery: I know this is impossibile because nearly all the fans don't like it, but I really love the art syle of these two games because I feel like It's a perfect mix of "realism" and "anime"

Whoever did the official art in fire emblem eight. That shit was lovely and the colours make me melt.

Edit:

Eirika.jpg

i mean look at it, its soooooo goooood!

also capegasam gah!

Edited by Aquamarinechu

Either an expanded version of FE14's with less fanservice, or Tear Ring Saga's

Tear Ring's aren't that great, Berwick's are much better though. Berwick's are a more modernized Jugdral.

Either that, or FE8/10's.

Whoever did the official art in fire emblem eight. That shit was lovely and the colours make me melt.

Edit:

Eirika.jpg

i mean look at it, its soooooo goooood!

also capegasam gah!

I think its from the same artist who did binding blade if I'm not mistaken which is Eiji Kaneda

Akihiko Yoshida would be great so long as he's not suffering from a case of no nose syndrome like he was during his time on Final Fantasy Tactics.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tomomi Kobayashi or Ayami Kojima, but no Toriyama please.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tomomi Kobayashi or Ayami Kojima, but no Toriyama please.

I actually really agree with that toriyama bit actually. Which is kinda odd seeing as i like his art style, but something about it would just feel wrong.

I'd welcome back Senri Kita (Tellius) and Kozaki (Awakening/Fates) if he toned down on some of the fanservice elements (battle bras and panties). For new territory, Akihiro Yoshida might be interesting. I like the gritty feeling he gave the Tactics Ogre characters. And maybe we can get the writer for Tactics Ogre as well.

Much like many threads that have been done before, my answer hasn' changed.

So, Masaki Hirooka (Order of Ecclesia) or Hiroaki (Days of Ruin)

Obviously those artists have done more than that, but I figure people here are probably most familiar with those works. I think the two of them do a good job of mixing stylistic allure with a faux-realistic look, which is exactly the kind of artstyle that FE has traditionally maintained.

Edited by Irysa

I actually really agree with that toriyama bit actually. Which is kinda odd seeing as i like his art style, but something about it would just feel wrong.

Akihiko Yoshida would be great so long as he's not suffering from a case of no nose syndrome like he was during his time on Final Fantasy Tactics.

I can't picture how bad Akira Toriyama's artstyle will be for FE seeing as how FE usually depicts characters that have a charm to them. Muscular characters can work in this style. Fragile units like Swordmasters can also work here and beast can do wonders.

If anything, the simplistic style can easily appeal enough if done right and I repeat, if done right.

I think Kozaki's art is just fine, but the art director needs to change, it is his fault that we have battle panties after all.

I can't picture how bad Akira Toriyama's artstyle will be for FE seeing as how FE usually depicts characters that have a charm to them. Muscular characters can work in this style. Fragile units like Swordmasters can also work here and beast can do wonders.

If anything, the simplistic style can easily appeal enough if done right and I repeat, if done right.

Whether or not Toryiama's style is "simplistic" doesn't matter to me. What turns me off his art is his lack of diversity when it comes to drawing faces. This isn't too big of a deal in games with small casts (Chrono Trigger for example), but I'd rather not see a large cast of characters who look like they were cloned from Goku or Bulma. Edited by Mr. Poopybutthole

Whether or not Toryiama's style is "simplistic" doesn't matter to me. What turns me off his art is his lack of diversity when it comes to drawing faces. This isn't too big of a deal in games with small casts (Chrono Trigger for example), but I'd rather not see a large cast of characters who look like they were cloned from Goku or Bulma.

There is a lot of diversity in his artstlyle especially in the face department. Female designs are very creative especially when it comes to the facial detail. I think you're misunderstanding the drawing structure and the character art. The structure of how the characters are drawn is the same with the same face design structure which some artists simply tend to do.

Example of a character in Blue Dragon that's a female.

20004.jpg?1416210319

Looking at this, you'll say that its similar to this.

c4x71HyG.jpg

They may have similar face structures but they still feel very different to each other because of their overall looks despite the style being used. Hence the term "artstyle".

From what you're saying that there are too many bulma and goku clones out there, I'll admit that it does tend to look that way but that has nothing to do with the style. That has to do with the art direction being approached.

You can't expect them to change their style of art that they developed on their own because art just doesn't work like that. You CAN however direct them to give their art that isn't too similar to their previous works.

You can easily spot the similarities between the art used in Awakening and in Fates with the only difference being some different colors and additional clothing.

Here's Tharja and her "clone" Rhajat.

ae6.jpg

The only difference here is again, additional clothing and change of color but that's just about it. Now in your defense, you'll say that only few of them are like that but not really. Here's another one.

602751_430975460307784_818397238_n.jpgbac347a3f18c6ed4e989d972bb87e686.jpg

The way the characters are structured is the same. But its how the art is directed here that's the real deal. Same thing, different colors used as well as different armor but still following the same structure of character style.....and looking at it now, Benny's armor is more realistic than the one Kellam is stuck with. :P

Edited by Harvey

okay here's the issue, blue dragon and dragon ball z are two different series so naturally there's gonna be a bit of a difference in art direction - but they do look the same. Even despite that, fucking Piccolo and Magus (Chrono Trigger) look about the same, as do Crono and Goku. Dragon Quest commercials looked like a straight up dragonball Z commercial at points to the extent where many people I knew thought DQ was related to DBZ. I know this is anecdotal but it's still a thing.

tharja and rhajat are meant to be the same character

kellam and benny look pretty different, and I can't even tell they're from the same artist using the art that you used because the art is quite different. Benny looks more intense and Kellam looks lame as fuck. But the point is that they're two distinct characters.

you really just defeated your own argument

I second Irysa's suggestion of the Ecclesia dude. That guy's a baller.

okay here's the issue, blue dragon and dragon ball z are two different series so naturally there's gonna be a bit of a difference in art direction - but they do look the same. Even despite that, fucking Piccolo and Magus (Chrono Trigger) look about the same, as do Crono and Goku. Dragon Quest commercials looked like a straight up dragonball Z commercial at points to the extent where many people I knew thought DQ was related to DBZ. I know this is anecdotal but it's still a thing.

tharja and rhajat are meant to be the same character

kellam and benny look pretty different, and I can't even tell they're from the same artist using the art that you used because the art is quite different. Benny looks more intense and Kellam looks lame as fuck. But the point is that they're two distinct characters.

you really just defeated your own argument

I second Irysa's suggestion of the Ecclesia dude. That guy's a baller.

Again, the similarities between that of Dragon Ball and Chrono Trigger has nothing to do with artstyle but rather art direction. It was probably intentional that the staff wanted them to look similar simply because their personalities are nearly identical with Piccolo wandering around places and acting a lot like a big shot and the same goes for Magus and the same goes for Chrono and Goku willing to give up their lives to protect those dear to them.

But I repeat, that has nothing to do with the style but rather, direction.

As for Kellam and Benny, like I said earlier, they are different but the style used is the same. You can create diversity in art design by maintaining a particular style drawn by an artist which ends up being appealing. Hence the term "Artstyle".

magus is nothing like piccolo, wtf are you talking about

chrono is nothing like goku. goku has always been a straight up martial artist that loves a good fight, chrono barely has a personality.

android 18 and that chick from blue dragon look the same regardless of direction. this is a legitimate issue. benny and kellam look different.

I wouldn't mind Toriyama, he has legit good monster designs if they brought back Monsters, and while some of his character faces are similar, I still enjoy his artwork in general.

But the same face could be a little distracting.