Dumb Stuff We Thought As Kids

Rezzy

Republicanism is good.

More seriously, I had the strangest picture of Adolf Hitler in my head for the longest time: he had glasses, had long, hippie style hair, wore a blue turtleneck, and played a guitar. That was what I thought Hitler looked like until I was SEVEN. Dead serious.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Republicanism is good.

More seriously, I had the strangest picture of Adolf Hitler in my head for the longest time: he had glasses, had long, hippie style hair, wore a blue turtleneck, and played a guitar. That was what I thought Hitler looked like until I was SEVEN. Dead serious.

Adolf Hipler

:^)

Speaking of Hitler, when I was kid my parents were pretty bad telling me historical topics so when I asked about World War 2 they explained it so badly I ended up with three major misconceptions that haunted me until I was around seven or eight.

1. Poland started the hostilities, they were winning for a while and had taken Russian land

2. The Jews caused the Holocaust. Like they were the ones rounding people up to shoot.

3. The US was in the war since day 1 which we all know by now that is a lie because they were the last nation to join.

The less I say about what they thought WW1 was about the better but thankfully I came to learn to check other sources by that point. I love my parents but they lack the knowledge surrounding most of history not in popular discourse.

Edited by Raguna

Speaking of Hitler, when I was kid my parents were pretty bad telling me historical topics so when I asked about World War 2 they explained it so badly I ended up with three major misconceptions that haunted me until I was around seven or eight.

1. Poland started the hostilities, they were winning for a while and had taken Russian land

2. The Jews caused the Holocaust. Like they were the ones rounding people up to shoot.

3. The US was in the war since day 1 which we all know by now that is a lie because they were the last nation to join.

The less I say about what they thought WW1 was about the better but thankfully I came to learn to check other sources by that point. I love my parents but they lack the knowledge surrounding most of history not in popular discourse.

Oh I don't even want to know what they think of WWI, given that for most people it was "Well, the Germans, I think they wanted to take over the world or some shit, I don't know."

Oh I don't even want to know what they think of WWI, given that for most people it was "Well, the Germans, I think they wanted to take over the world or some shit, I don't know."

Yeah, their answer could be pretty much summed up that way. It's a shame really since WW1 feels like such an epic tale to talk about in detail in comparison to WW2 which was much more heavily black and white in terms of morality and ethics. Rommel and few other men entering the small white the German side had at that point.

Edited by Raguna

I used to think the British were evil for how they were portrayed in Liberty's Kids, while in reality, there were heroes and villains on both sides of the American Revolution. Only after re-watching it did I realize that not everything was good on one side.

Yeah, their answer could be pretty much summed up that way. It's a shame really since WW1 feels like such an epic tale to talk about in detail in comparison to WW2 which was much more heavily black and white in terms of morality and ethics. Rommel and few other men entering the small white the German side had at that point.

Well the problem was that in WWI niether side really had a good reason to fight. Now, the Napoleonic Wars, those were conflicts where both sides were basically doing the right thing for their countries.

Well the problem was that in WWI niether side really had a good reason to fight. Now, the Napoleonic Wars, those were conflicts where both sides were basically doing the right thing for their countries.

So, World War I is where no one was right, but the Napoleonic Wars are where everyone was right? By the way, would the War of 1812 be a Napoleonic War or not to a European?

So, World War I is where no one was right, but the Napoleonic Wars are where everyone was right? By the way, would the War of 1812 be a Napoleonic War or not to a European?

1812 had very little to do with Napoleon, so it wasn't part of the Napoleonic Wars.

As a kid, I thought babies were born from your belly button.

As a teen, I thought Ted Bundy was the guy who blew up the Pentagon. The person I was thinking of was Timothy McVeigh, who blew up a truck...I don't know how I came to such a conclusion.

I thought the white flowers on our backyard tree was used to make milk. I also thought that I accidently switched my legs with each other.

I also believed in the tooth fairy, especially after getting the money under my pillow,which obviously, my parents put.

I also thought aliens and ghosts existed, as well as merry Santa.

I also thought the founder of our country's face was God's face, until I realized in like 2nd grade that this was not true.

I also thought fairies were flying whenever I painted something, which was just blue and pink paint all over the page.

^Puhuhuhuhuhu

Dear sir, while the existence of ghosts and aliens may be questionable, Merry Red Santa just cannot exist.Otherwise, there would've been elves scattered in the North Pole,possibly discovered years ago.

...I think...

Edited by Flee Fleet!