Have you ever played a game you find "perfect"?

Magical Glace

Perfection  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Have you played a game you find perfect?

• Yes
    • No, and I doubt it could be done.
    • No, but I think it could happen.
  2. 2. Zera asked what's more perfect

• Tetris
    • Geometry Wars
    • Dragon Quest VI
    • Chrono Trigger

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of wish I could o answered this question every other year or so to get a time lapse of how I play games. But right now, I don't even know what game I really consider to be my favorite...

If I sit down and look at what I like the most.

Banjo Kazooie: Difficulty curve is not very good compared to its contemporary games, especially mario 64... mumbo's mountaiun is easier than bob-omb mountain had to be, and the middle levels don't really prepare you for Rusty Bucket Bay in the same way as the middle levels of mario prepare you for tick tock clock.. Also the implementation of the note score is a little questionable, but honestly it's just a potential issue... although for a child, one that's pretty easy to run into.

Colony Wars: Ultimately it's overshadowed by Freespace 1 and 2. And the intense difficulty, which I love, probably limits the audience. Also Red Sun's general inferiority to the first two CW games. I feel like the ship aesthetics run into issues as well, I love that it makes you play as viscous looking ships normally reserved for aliens, and the enemy gets clean cut v-curve spaceships from star trek, but stuff like the battle platform (which has no function other than teleporting) has an overtly militaristic apperance, and even reaches for star wars operatics which contrasts with the earthier "it's propanda" of the main story...

Donkey Kong Country 2: Like with the other games I think of its faults mostly in terms of "what other people can't overlook, but I can" It's really hard not to tell everyone to play it. My only concern is that I sometimes got too energetic and the Super Nintendo can freeze up rather easily from vibrations at a distance of about 8 feet in my experience. I don't even find the rattly levels to be anoying like a lot of people claim.

Timesplitters 2: Multiplayer is less customizable than perfect dark? Even that seems like stretching the truth to me, but it's the best I can come up with. What a game. I can't think of many FPS games I didn't enjoy, but most of them I enjoyed because of their community, and I never dreamed one could actually charm on its own. I guess some of the gold medals were annoying? I didn't find it's platinum medals as inspiring of going for as a stretch goal as the ones in blast corps.

Bomberman '93 '94 , Saturn Bomberman, and Super Bomberman: As many faults that the rest of the series has, these four games are simply all good on their own. Yes, the single player modes aren't so good as a dedicated puzzle adventure like adventure of lolo 2, but still, they are quite good. and the multiplayer, oh the multiplayer! The best balance of powerups (remote bombs and the like should never be in the default drop set). Yes, there is a splitscreen limitation and the inevitably of having to play an inferior version when you want to go online, but it has so much to offer.

Worms Armageddon: Controls are rough on console ports, but even so, it's such a great multiplayer game. Can be enjoyed with tactics or by playing like a madman. The random map generator can be a cruel mistress sometimes, and some setting like "select worm at start of each turn" and "manually place worms on each map" are too unfair to ever enable.

Dr. Lunatic Supreme With Cheese: It's got like a million problems, but it also introduced me to the world of Mike Hommel. I'll try to think of the main ones. Less actiony than a dedicated 8 directional shooter like gauntlent, smash tv, mercs. Inconsitant quality of the levels, the extreme difficulty of the "original levels" Defining the core gameplay and then having 70%ish of the levels covered in event triggers that completely transform it into something else, etc.

But for me, problems like these shouldn't matter. I believe it's entirely natural for their to be a "perfect game" for individuals. I mean it's not natural to think of your favorite games "in the shoes of a reviewer" or whatever. I don't get the idea of imagining your favorite "imperfect" games being more perfect...

Edited by Reality

Nah, I think the perfect game is a highly based on personal opinion because we need to agree that there was nothing wrong with it in the first place and everything it did was amazing and that's not something all people can form a consensus about.

As for my favorite game, Rune Factory: Frontier, I'd say it's the one that hit the nearest "perfect" game criteria I have. Yet despite being able to praise all his strengths, I can find one major complaint that can be leveled at it and that's the Runey system where you need to relocate Runeys so they don't die out from eating each other. It's frankly very tedious and letting areas go die means slower crop growths which is never fun. I could ramble about all the good in it, but I'd probably take myself into a large tangent so this is just the general skim of my view.

Nah, I think the perfect game is a highly based on personal opinion because we need to agree that there was nothing wrong with it in the first place and everything it did was amazing and that's not something all people can form a consensus about.

This is why the final part of the OP is worded as it is. I recognize that everyone has opinions, so I want people to consider what they think of as perfect rather than a nonexistent objective viewpoint.

This is why the final part of the OP is worded as it is. I recognize that everyone has opinions, so I want people to consider what they think of as perfect rather than a nonexistent objective viewpoint.

I apologize, I didn't quite see that part but even then I think I've been trained for a bit too long to be objective in these cases, but I appreciate letting us go on to say why we believe them as perfect.

I think if I had to be non-objective, it'd be the character, setting, choices and the way things are resolved. The scope of the conflict is just the survival of your village and you as a farmer can go with your life taking things as they come and triggering events that pretty much regular in a daily life feel more personal due to how sympathetic all the characters seem. It's a nice reprieve from completely evil characters and world saving shenanigans most Japanese games tend to do when they need to up the stakes in a way.

Shout out for Lost Dimension however for sharing the first place with Frontier due to a mind blowing form of decision making by the end.

Super Metroid is still my favorite video game of all time, and yet, the difficulty aspect is lacking (among other small things such as the absence of mid-air spinjump start and the primitive Space Jump mechanics) If the game only had a Hard Mode or something....

Edited by BLS

I think we have to differentiate between an objectively perfect game, which, let's face it, doesn't exist, since it will be a game EVERYBODY will like and that is just impossible to do, no matter how hard we try to tell ourselves that and subjectively perfect, which is perfectly achievable, since it is our own opinion.

With that being said, I am a firm believer of the notion that NOTHING is perfect. It is a matter of our own ability to overlook or forgive flaws that makes us THINK a game is perfect.

I will now provide a list of games I personally found perfect, but will at the same time address certain points that may lead some people to think otherwise:

Tales of Xillia

Some people may criticise the 'forced' love story between the two main characters, but to me, the overall plot, gameplay, world and characters were so well done that I overlooked that fact. Even though I would agree with the people who say that. JudexLeia OTP.

Tales of Xillia 2

It reused most of the world and had an admittedly stupid way of progression by way of debt, but I didn't mind it personally. I used these intervals to level grind and explore new areas I would have missed otherwise.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

Some people call this a cheap knockoff of the original and aren't too fond of its two main characters. They call Emil a wuss, while I call him human and they call Marta annoying while I find her attitude to be very charming.

Tales of Zestiria

Some people may not like the new battle system. I think it is an overall improvement over the one in Tales of Graces, which is also a very good game, but I can see why people wouldn't like it that much.

Fire Emblem Awakening

Some people loathe the story and a bunch of other stuff, which I don't mind.

Stella Glow

The overall gameplay is admittedly a bit slow at times and the in-game graphics could be a bit better, but the characters, the story, the core gameplay and especially the music more than makes up for it.

Sadly, we'll never get a sequel because the studio that made it went bankrupt.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

The translation is far from perfect and the game forces you to do mundane sidequests to progress, but again, the story is good enough that I want to keep playing. To me Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth is the best Pokémon game ever made (I've said Pokémon on purpose)

Okami

Even though the motion controls were a bit wonky at times, causing frustration, I still love the game's atmosphere, story (again) and the entire idea behind the concept of this game. To me, Okami is a better version of The Legend of Zelda.

Shadow of the Colossus

Some may have trouble with the controls. I did, too at first, but eventually, I got used to them.

Bravely Second

Like Tales of Xillia 2, it also has the reused world thing going on, which may turn off some people and then there's the fact that it is a bit more lighthearted than its predecessor, which I absolutely love about this game.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

Some may be annoyed by the rarity of actual combat and the long exposition scenes, but I think it all mixes very well and serves as a great way to build the world and characters simultaneously.

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl

I heard some people actually HATED the story mode with predetermined characters. I personally loved the story and the characters.

Etrian Odyssey II Untold: The Fafnir Knight

I heard that most of the fanbase hates the new female lead and still aren't too fond of predetermined characters. I sound like a broken record now, but I personally like the new female lead maybe even more than the previous one and I still like the characters overall.

Overall, I can see why people wouldn't like the games I like, but to me, these games are nearly perfect and I love playing them.

I just now noticed that this list is almost all niche games of lesser-known franchises. Huh, go figure.

I think we have to differentiate between an objectively perfect game, which, let's face it, doesn't exist, since it will be a game EVERYBODY will like and that is just impossible to do, no matter how hard we try to tell ourselves that and subjectively perfect, which is perfectly achievable, since it is our own opinion.

Again, I worded myself to focus the thread on subjective perfection, since there's no way objective perfection can be achieved unless the human race had no emotions whatsoever :P:

Yes. I think that New Mystery and NieR are perfect for me, even though both games are flawed(more so in the case of NieR). I love the map design, customization, and gameplay of the former despite having issue with some story elements(though I have fewer issues with the remake's additions than most), and I love the story, atmosphere, and themes of the latter despite having issue with some of the gameplay. Basically, the stuff I like in each I really, really like, enough for the flaws each has to not matter to me. I also quite enjoy the soundtracks of both, with NieR's being my favorite OST.

I also think that Shadow of the Colossus is a damn near perfect game even though it's not one of my favorites since it does so many things so well and I'm hard pressed to think of any flaws within it.

Edited by Ambling Falchion

Yes. I think that New Mystery and NieR are perfect for me, even though both games are flawed(more so in the case of NieR). I love the map design, customization, and gameplay of the former despite having issue with some story elements(though I have fewer issues with the remake's additions than most), and I love the story, atmosphere, and themes of the latter despite having issue with some of the gameplay. Basically, the stuff I like in each I really, really like, enough for the flaws each has to not matter to me. I also quite enjoy the soundtracks of both, with NieR's being my favorite OST.

I also think that Shadow of the Colossus is a damn near perfect game even though it's not one of my favorites since it does so many things so well and I'm hard pressed to think of any flaws within it.

A bit off-topic here: I loved Zero Punctuation's review of NieR. It was hilarious :D

I also cannot think of any real flaws in Shadow of the Colossus other than that the control scheme might turn some people off from even trying it out.

I too thought Yahtzee's review was rather amusing, or at least what I remember of it.

I don't even think the control scheme in SotC is bad, and the first colossus is paced and designed in such a way that it's easy to learn and grasp the controls in that fight alone. Or at least it was for me.

With this in mind, yeah, I think I'd find Warped perfect.

Obviously there's no way that there's an objective "perfect" game, but if we're talking about a game that suits my tastes almost perfectly...

It has to be Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon. This game was one of my most hyped games since they announced it, since I loved PMD2 and PMD1 (GoI... eh.) and I was really looking forward to have another epic adventure just as good as those two, especially like the second game.

Little did I know that I was going to love it more than any other game I have ever played.

Everything just clicked with me perfectly. The characters worked, the emotions were there, the personalities of many characters got me, the soundtrack was phenomenal, the gameplay was even better, the game was more challenging, the story... oh god the story was amazing! The moment I finished the game, I was 100% sure about it: PSMD was my favorite game of all time, and I doubt that will change any time soon. This game surpassed a lot of games that I considered fantastic. It surpassed even my old favorite game of all time (Earthbound) with ease!

The games DOES have it's objective flaws however. It's still a RNG dungeon simulator, the pacing can be rather unstable (slow at first, super fast later on) and it doesn't leave you take a break from the main story until you beat it... but all those details meant nothing to me, since the positives I had with the game were just too good.

Not a perfect game, but certainly one that clicked with me.

No for me.

I adore FE10 but it still has too many flaws to be perfect:

• unbalanaced availibility and bases of the characters
  • no weapon triangle on hard mode
  • nerfing mastery skills
  • Micaiah has to set the final blow

If these things were improved, it'd be perfect for me.

Edit: Also Persona 3 deserves to be a honorable mention.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

There are many games that I greatly, greatly enjoy (Chrono Trigger, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, Pokémon: HGSS, several Fire Emblem entries), but none that I would consider to be perfect. That certainly doesn't stop me from enjoying them, though. I have never gone into anything expecting perfection, no matter how high my own hype might be.

Topic: Yes, I have.

I have never gone into anything expecting perfection, no matter how high my own hype might be.

To be perfectly honest, you should never do this in the first place.

Yeah, I have. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn is perfect imo. A complex western RPG with a good story, great mechanics, depth, good voice acting. I can't think of any complains (besides Thief balance, maybe it's not that perfect).

Edited by Assurhaddon

I'm sincerely surprised no one mentoned Undertales... (I haven't played it yet, so I don't have strong opinion, but he left quite a strong impression to a lot of people.)

Stella Glow

The overall gameplay is admittedly a bit slow at times and the in-game graphics could be a bit better, but the characters, the story, the core gameplay and especially the music more than makes up for it.

Sadly, we'll never get a sequel because the studio that made it went bankrupt.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

The translation is far from perfect and the game forces you to do mundane sidequests to progress, but again, the story is good enough that I want to keep playing. To me Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth is the best Pokémon game ever made (I've said Pokémon on purpose)

Bravely Second

Like Tales of Xillia 2, it also has the reused world thing going on, which may turn off some people and then there's the fact that it is a bit more lighthearted than its predecessor, which I absolutely love about this game.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

Some may be annoyed by the rarity of actual combat and the long exposition scenes, but I think it all mixes very well and serves as a great way to build the world and characters simultaneously.

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl

I heard some people actually HATED the story mode with predetermined characters. I personally loved the story and the characters.

Etrian Odyssey II Untold: The Fafnir Knight

I heard that most of the fanbase hates the new female lead and still aren't too fond of predetermined characters. I sound like a broken record now, but I personally like the new female lead maybe even more than the previous one and I still like the characters overall.

Overall, I can see why people wouldn't like the games I like, but to me, these games are nearly perfect and I love playing them.

I just now noticed that this list is almost all niche games of lesser-known franchises. Huh, go figure.

-Stella Glow : It's Strange, but my main problem with this game is how honnest it truly is... It tries to be dramatic and epic, and tells a great story, but is clearly a Luminous Ark successor (and I loved LA2, despite all his numerous flaws, but it is anime and fanservice-y as hell).

It's a great title, (it has flaws, but they can be overlooked), and it managed to makes all characters relevant in some way, which is still a good thing. Actually, the dialogue with LA1 and LA2 was an interresting experience. Notably with Hilda. How could she do things so awfull why still being clearly not a bad person?

-Digimon Story : Cyber Sleuth : It was a real surprise to me. I'm far from a Digimon Fan, but that game was great. Great, likeable characters, and story is silly just the right way : enough to be enjoyable and fun, but not enough to makes you break all suspensions of belief.

Not perfect in any ways, but damn I had a blast for playing thorugh it. And that's all that matters.

However you misspelled Persona, but I agree it's the greatest.

Bravely Second : Well, it was still as fun and enjoyable as ever, seeing the old cast is always a pleasue, and the new ones were great as well.

Besides, I think I'm generally not that found of love stories, but I enjoyed them all here.

Trails of Cold Steel : Trails in the Sky SC is still better. And ToCS has many flaws, but what it did well it did truly well (Chapter 3 after the exams is still one of my favourite part in any video games),. Its' mostly a diamond in the rough, and I have high hopes the second title allows it to truly shines.

EOU 1 and 2 : Well I nearly 100% EOUII in Story Mode (including DLC except Ur-Devil), so I guess it means something. The stories are OK, the gameplay is still as great as ever, no complaints to make.

I feel like there isn't any one game that is perfect for everybody, however, there is one game that is perfect for each person out there. For instance, for me that game would be Chrono Trigger, but for somebody else it might be Super Metroid. I believe there's that one game out there for everybody that they can't find anything wrong with.

I doubt it. I know that my favourite games have their problems:

1) Pokémon GSC: That level jump between Gym leader Blue and Pokémon Trainer Red...well, let's just say that I gave up when I found out about that. Otherwise, I love how it was heavily based on real-life Japan, or even real-life Earth with actual mentions to real-life places; it would have made the franchise a near-unique RPG had later generations (except XY) didn't turn their back from this concept. Because the only other RPG games I know that have this explicitly real-life Earth setting are Shin Megami Tensei, Yokai Watch (which came nearly 2 decades after Pokémon), and maybe Earthbound (which is not a multiple-game franchise to the level of, say, Final Fantasy).

2) Pokémon XY: A bit too short, I must admit. All the other beef Pokefans both here and Bulbagarden had, I could not give a fuck, though. I was so mesmerised by how explicitly French the Kalos region was, and how a greater sense of real-life-based worldbuilding returned. I also loved how Team Flare was a reference to right-wing extremism in Europe (though admittedly, the inspiration was Nazi Germany, rather than Lepenian/Delonclean France).

3) Fire Emblem Binding Blade: Very unforgiving in terms of stats and especially accuracy, and therefore very selective in its choice of viable units. Still, I like how politics comes into play, and how Roy is just one of many actors in the War against Bern. I also love how Roy actually needs support from other units to win the game - it really adds the feeling that you're actually in a war. They are something that I miss from Awakening and Fates.

Edited by henrymidfields

As many have said, there can't truly be a perfect game.

I also think my favorite games have flaws, even if they are few:

Fire Emblem 4: It's called Horse Emblem for a reason. We shouldn't also forget how swords seem more favorable than axes and lances.

Golden Sun: Way too much talking.

TWEWY: they just couldn't make an efficent skip button, can they? besides that minor problem, the game is almost perfect, for me at least.

Final Fantasy 6: Doing a Blitz move is a pain on the ass, especially on a keyboard, and I doubt it's any easier with a controller buuut...i never used a controller so I'm not too sure about that.

Mystic Ark: To just get back to your world, you have to go on a adventure through different worlds to get each world's 'ark', but you'll have to solve the problems of each world's first, like killing a massive beetle that are eating fruit homes, or resloving the rivlary between two crew of prates just to get a key to an ark's shrine.

Yup....feels like massive sidequests that apparently you MUST do to achieve your goals of returning home

Pretty much those were the only flaws I found of them but they're still enjoyable.