How many characters do you normally use in a play through of Fates?

IceBrand

By the end it ends up at around 12-13 since all the chapters up to the end are around that amount of unit deployment.

Except sometimes I just use Ryoma/Xander plus my Avatar because I don't feel like putting in effort.

depends on the route

Birthright the last time i played i only used ryoma and my avi and that was my lunatic file

Conquest as many as the final chapter allows honestly in conquest i make 1 team in advance and stick to it

Revelation I try to use most characters

I try to use everyone at least a few times, but some people get left behind if I unlock their child early.

On my Birthright end game team I used:

I like pair-up a lot in this game

Corrin-Kaze

Ryoma-Kagero

Takumi-Azura

Hinoka-Sophie

Sakura-Saizo

Shiro-Caeldori

Kiragi-Selkie

Orochi-Rhajat

Edited by I'm a Spheal

Presumably, all the royals and as many retainers as I can fit until they become [unfortunately] redundant + favorites. Generally, I make an effort to use everyone obtained in the main game, even if by a little.

The only ones I can say that I never use(through the maingame, anyway) are child units

Edited by Hero-King

I always fill all the spots in a chapter.

For Birthright I used all the siblings, Corrin, Kagero, Oboro, Kaden, Selkie, Kiragi, Kana, Joker and Hana the most. That is 13, if I needed more characters or I just wanted to use different ones, then Hinata, Kaze and Azura took the place

For Revelation where, the 8 siblings, Corrin, Kiragi, Kagero, Velouria, Selkie and Shigure, so 14, and again if there were space left or I wanted some changes, it was filled with Keaton, Azura, Kana, Midori

And now I'm near to finish Conquest and I'm using: Corrin, the 4 siblings, Niles, Nina and Effie, that is 8 characters, but I use some Takumis and Oboros to fill the number of characters (most of the times 2 Takumis and 2 Oboros), sometimes I use Forrest and Kana too

Yeah, I like to use the more I can... Minus in Conquest LoL

Edited by SniperGYS

Usually 12-16, making some kind of conscious effort to rotate who I use each playthrough so everyone gets some screen time. However, I do tend to gravitate towards favorites.

I've also been doing a lot of themed runs lately, so I'll choose characters based on the theme (cute/favorite couples, ridiculously OP runs, etc).

I'm usually like "i'm gonna use this set of 8-10 characters" then it slowly rises to like 15-16 and I never end up using half the people I was going to because I end up using all the Royals in every run

In conquest I select like 14 units, generally all gen 1 units, with the exception of maybe a few children, while Kanna and their sibling if they have one, is always a must on my team. Right now for my lunatic conquest file I've planned to use Mu, Xander, Mozu, Elise, Camilla, Nyx, Effie, Niles, Odin, Kaze, Leo, Keaton, Siegbert, Kanna. I highly doubt this is anywhere close to being the best team especially for conquest lunatic but I can't help but choose characters I really like. ^_^;

I love the challenge of not being able to grind in conquest, the only sad thing is when you have characters that have the same class or role and you have to choose between which one you're going to use.

In Birthright and Revelations I jump around between different units and let most everyone get some experience, though I don't bother to recruit any children until after beating the game (Even though that makes Shiro really tough to get).

In Conquest I try to bench anyone I'm not using ASAP and maintain only as many units as the deployment totals allow. If a chapter has a lower deployment total than the previous one, I bench whoever needs the experience the least, and sub them back in next chapter. By the endgame I have 16.

I ended up using everyone by the end, I like seeing all the support dialogue so I try different combinations of characters and such. There are a few that get neglected a bit though, mainly Percy, Arthur, Benny, Fuga, Hayato and Gunther. I like having options for late game pvp so I end up training everyone bit by bit. In my last revelations save file every new female character I recruited that couldn't use a sword through their base classes became a dread fighter. I did this so that everyone could partake in amiibo forged swords. And it was glorious, until I realized that I had made an error by not having Lazlow marry Azura so that he could be the superior rally bot as a falcon knight.

I like having a full endgame team, so I usually shoot for that. My runs so far have typically been about a dozen first gen characters and then filling in later open spots with children once deployment starts opening up. Tempted to lowman my upcoming BR Lunatic run just for speed, though.

I usually use around ten units I really like and fill the rest of the spots up with pair-up bots or straight up leave them empty. I do tend to avoid Azura and the Royals not named Elise or Sakura.

So for Birthright, I mainly use:

Corrin

Mozu

Hana

Azama

Sakura

Oboro

Saizo

Kana

Midori

Kaden or Selkie

For Conquest, it's usually:

Corrin

Mozu

Silas

Nyx

Velouria

Ophelia

Midori

Selena

Beruka

Kana

Elise

Effie or Benny

And finally, for Revelations:

Corrin

Hana

Kana

Mozu

Midori

Elise

Sakura

Velouria

Kaden or Selkie

Kaze

This is usually how my teams end up looking like even if I do spend time on grinding.

My Conquest Lunatic playthroughs have condensed to about half a dozen characters, each loaded with tonics and a pair-up bot. The last few slots would be Azura + any number of rallybots or staffbots.

I am beginning to notice that Xander sort of solos the game while the rest of the team are his backup dancers, regardless of setup.