In Which Sai Plays: The Game Everyone Wishes FE: Fates Was (I.E. Tactics Ogre: LUCT)

saisymbolic

Hello, fellow SF users and welcome to my blind play through of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. During this thread, I will be sharing my thoughts and impressions of the game, along with some screenshots (because everyone loves looking at pictures while reading).

So, the first time I heard of this game series was actually through this website. On several occasions, during which Serenes' Law was being followed like clockwork, I saw a few people drop this game as an example of what they wanted out of Fates' story and its main protagonist, Kamui/Corrin. What people wanted—and I as well—was a game where our choices actually had an impact on the characters and the consequences of those choices were reacted to logically.

Or in more vulgar terms, we wanted a game that didn't dickride our main character.

And this is where Tactics Ogre: LUCT comes in.

From what little I've heard and read of it, the choices our main character makes sends him on branching paths and the people in the game responds to these acts accordingly and in an understandable manner. I wanted to experience this for myself—and I wanted people who didn't have access to the game to experience it as well.

So, before I start:

- No story spoilers. I don't mind vague, ambiguous comments about story elements, but I ask that you don't completely spoil it. If you have something you just can't hold, I ask you put it in spoiler tags and label what chapter/portion/character of the game it has to do with.

- I don't mind suggestions. I know the battle system is similar to Final Fantasy Tactics so feel free to leave suggestions for things like that.

- I have no particular update schedule. Updates are probably gonna be really sporadic because I am a serious procrastinator.

And now...

1xd3XZF.png

I'm assuming you're doing the PSP version then?

If you're going PSP, the only thing I can suggest is that if you get/use a generic Valkyrie that you make it a practitioner of the light magic spells rather than any other element because that is by FAR the best element to give them. They get more support abilities there than they do anywhere else.

Also, avoid the cleric class. It kind of sucks outside of exorcism.

I wanted to love this game so badly, but when I played it the leveling and grinding system was nigh impenetrable to me. And that weird wish/sacrifice/vow system at the beginning was confusing as hell. I got into Tactics A2 much more easily. Here'a hoping you have better luck!

Archers. Ninja.

These are your friends, you are their friend. Use them, use them well.

Mostly all skills learned between classes are not interchangeable like in FFT barring one class, this is the most jarring thing about the game, since they remade it to be FFT-lite in all but story. This makes very little sense, since it's encouraged to change classes throughout the story.

Edited by Soledai

TU: LUCT is basically the game FFT wished it was, which is confusing since the original TU (that this is a remake of) was made first, by the same people. The earlygame is probably the roughest part, and may take some perseverance.

A mechanics thing you should know that I didn't work out until like 80% through the game - range is not axiomatic. Archers will have their dotted, like, 3-7 range to fire at or whatever, but the Trajectory skill (which they should have) will sort of... trace the path their shot will take. If the target is outside of the highlighted tiles, but the tracer says the arrow will hit them, then the arrow will hit them.

Good luck!

I've only started Tactics Ogre recently myself, i'm much more familiar with the Ogre Battle games, those being for the SNES, Wonderswan and 64, which were more RTS styled games with some turn based combat when units met with each other, some of my favorite games ever (Ogre Battle 64 is actually my favorite game of all time).

I've had kind of an weird relationship with TO because I prefer the OB style over it, and I'm sad they never made more in the OB style, but thats just silly of me I guess.

Sally Forth and conquer the game! Alignment stuff is usually a big deal in Ogre games, so be on the lookout for that, even when it comes to simple things such as class changes.

And of course even LUCT has this nice tune originating from the original OB.

Edited by Jedi

I've only started Tactics Ogre recently myself, i'm much more familiar with the Ogre Battle games, those being for the SNES, Wonderswan and 64, which were more RTS styled games with some turn based combat when units met with each other, some of my favorite games ever (Ogre Battle 64 is actually my favorite game of all time).

I've had kind of an weird relationship with TO because I prefer the OB style over it, and I'm sad they never made more in the OB style, but thats just silly of me I guess.

Sally Forth and conquer the game! Alignment stuff is usually a big deal in Ogre games, so be on the lookout for that, even when it comes to simple things such as class changes.

Nah, you aren't alone - I'd quite possibly murder? for a third Ogre Battle.

I'm also pretty sure (not quite 100%) that all classes are open to both genders and all three alignments, which... is a first on both counts for the series.

Nah, you aren't alone - I'd quite possibly murder? for a third Ogre Battle.

I'm also pretty sure (not quite 100%) that all classes are open to both genders and all three alignments, which... is a first on both counts for the series.

If I ever got to the point of making games, I always told myself i'd make like a Spiritual successor to it, I've even gotten ideas written down.

Oh really? That's pretty different yeah.

I was neutral the first time. And then I lost my file. When I beat it, I was a Lawful guy. I became a Warlock. I regret nothing being a healer main character. Ah... The original version tied the classes you could be to your alignment. I loved that about Ogre Battle. I loved it in Tactics Ogre. WHY ISN'T THERE A THIRD ONE!?

All right, guys! Thanks for your advice. All of it has been noted. As for which path I'll follow, it'll likely be either the Law or Neutral path as it is the type of person that I am. I do want to try the Chaotic path, though.

We'll see when get there.

Now, onto the character "creation," for a lack of better words.

[spoiler=Part I: Character Information]

ocsXLvn.png

So, we begin the game by naming our character. Because the name was already filled in, we'll keep the name give as I consider it the "canon" name.

HzC6HM3.png

We also choose a birthday.

wlOlsaX.png

We are now Denam, born on the 21st of Waterscale (which is apparently March).

OCkQtkp.png

Next, I get this question.

From this, I can assume tarot will play some kind of part in the game. I'm also assuming this question determines my stats or alignment or something?

Despite being a tarot and Persona nerd, I won't tout my awesome tarot knowledge that I got from searching on Google.

So, to answer the question...

BBKRLCX.png

At first, I was going to choose my parents because I don't have a lover or a child. Then, I felt like that was cheating in a certain manner, and decided to assume that I had all four peoples as my family.

I quickly chose the second choice, "my child."

My parents always made it a point to express they would never want me to put myself in harm's way to rescue them. Of course, I agree when all of us are safe and sound—but, if were we actually placed into a situation like that... I like to not think about it.

My "lover" was eliminated because he doesn't exist I assumed he would willingly give himself up for me and his child.

Is that sexist?

I5Ds9tI.png

A relatively simple one to answer: "by diplomacy."

Religion is probably the worst to attempt to unite two feuding families under, given the vagueness of the scenario. We don't know if they worship the same deity or if they are feuding because of religion in the first place.

Using force is typically a last resort for me—if I were trying to bring two families together. I would honestly just skip attempting to bring peace between them and simply annex them into my own forces through conquest.

Can you annex a clan?

VE4nfw0.png

I chose "my king."

Again, it is a vague scenario, but I tried to choose the choice that was more heartbreaking (in my opinion).

I mean, the same scenario could be applied to a lover or a dear friend, but I felt like the king—the ruler of not only me but of possibly thousands of other people—was much more tragic. Not only has my expectations and trust in my king been compromised, but every other person's within the kingdom has as well. If you can't trust your ruler, who can you trust?

s13kvER.png

Another simple one.

I would rather be hideous forever than look over my shoulder every waking moment or be alone. ...Then again, I could bring about both isolation and fear through being disfigured. I am reminded of the story of the Elephant Man.

KmnZPf4.png

Literally, my only choice. Also, the easiest choice.

Now, that that's all finished...

KHZjeLV.png

Soon, we will embark upon our journey...some time tomorrow. Maybe.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Oh wow. You lucked out. I played the SNES version, and that version's character customization is nothing short of psychotic. It gives you a bunch of buzzwords, four different deities, and they each come to you demanding three of the buzzwords each, one as a prayer, one as an offering, and one as a vow. It makes literally no sense and it's frustrating as hell to use to optimize your stats.

This is so much better. It may be just as inscrutable regarding stats, but at least it doesn't confuse the hell out of the player from the outset and immediately compel them to look up a guide mere seconds after writing in their name.

In Ogre Battle, the quizes were either to determine your characters starting alignment/attack set, or your starting army (such as in 64). I I think TO goes purely with stats and I'm not sure.

It's just stats as I remember it. In the SNES TO, you could pick your element too, but there aren't any elements on characters in PSP TO

They added more elements for more spells. it feels a bit unnecessary, but some are cool looking.

Edited by Soledai

It dictates two of your starting four backup guys in Knights of Lodis, as well as some equipment and the statboosts for Alphonse.

Incidentally, I'd recommend playing Knights of Lodis after this game, for... reasons. Admittedly, it's not as polished.

• 3 weeks later...

It dictates two of your starting four backup guys in Knights of Lodis, as well as some equipment and the statboosts for Alphonse.

Incidentally, I'd recommend playing Knights of Lodis after this game, for... reasons. Admittedly, it's not as polished.

As well as some of his base emblems. Personally, I feel you want the one with the female wizard, everything else is irrelevant.