Fire Emblem Fates: The Crown of Nibelungen Now on Sale

Hardin

On 4/2/2017 at 10:48 PM, The DanMan said:

http://kudarite.tumblr.com/post/156782809982/hey-if-anyones-interested-in-reading-the
Scanlation! Uses the Japanese names and feels a bit too literal, but it's serviceable.
Not much to say other than it's nice to see the characters in more casual clothing.

Thak you so much! It's always nice when we're given more characters' insight.

9 hours ago, RedRob said:

I cried a little inside reading this. If they had more scenes like this in the game, the plot would have been a lot more bearable.

Agreed! This delivered more insight into Nohr than all of Conquest managed.

On 2/4/2017 at 4:48 PM, The DanMan said:

http://kudarite.tumblr.com/post/156782809982/hey-if-anyones-interested-in-reading-the
Scanlation! Uses the Japanese names and feels a bit too literal, but it's serviceable.
Not much to say other than it's nice to see the characters in more casual clothing.

Thank you for the link!

I've been looking forward to this, and it didn't fail to deliver! Nohr really, really needed this insight/worldbuilding...there's still so many questions I have about Nohrian society and political/social workings, but this is a wonderful start.

10 minutes ago, Nanima² said:

Such a shame there likely won't be any of this for Hoshido.

Argh, true, true...having worldbuilding for Hoshido would be lovely, too. I'm also super curious about how the dynamic of the Hoshidan siblings work even more than the Nohrian ones. The Hoshidan siblings seem so...disconnected, almost? Seeing more of them together is DESPERATELY needed.

6 minutes ago, Luna of Dragonblood said:

Argh, true, true...having worldbuilding for Hoshido would be lovely, too. I'm also super curious about how the dynamic of the Hoshidan siblings work even more than the Nohrian ones. The Hoshidan siblings seem so...disconnected, almost? Seeing more of them together is DESPERATELY needed.

I actually think the disconnection is a valid reading of their relationship (can't see if it's intentional because of the writing "quality", but it's certainly the message most people seem to be getting by looking at supports and stuff). And it would be interesting to see it explored along with Hoshido's culture and politics.

Problem is, that IntSys likely sees no need to expand on Hoshido's culture since it's derived from Japan, i.e the seat of their primary target audience. Hoshido is the 'default' to them, the primary audience is already supposed to identify with them, while Nohr is the exotic "Other" they have to work to make interesting (and Nohr was still more popular for exactly that reason.). When people whine about "Hoshidan favouritism" they forget that the side that was most harmed by it was Hoshido itself.

So this fact, combined with resulting popularity of the Nohrian characters everywhere, is likely why they thought a Leo-centered manga set entirely in Nohr, was a reasonable alternative to a more general manga adaptation.

1 minute ago, Nanima² said:

I actually think the disconnection is a valid reading of their relationship (can't see if it's intentional because of the writing "quality", but it's certainly the message most people seem to be getting by looking at supports and stuff). And it would be interesting to see it explored along with Hoshido's culture and politics.

Oh, it's definitely a valid reading, but more of...the game never goes into it? The Nohrian siblings are presented as always struggling to stay together and to keep things working, but the Hoshidans have a bit of distance. Whether that's from odd/poor writing, a distance between them, or a reassurance that they don't have to be together is left unconfirmed. I'd love to see more of their interactions, regardless (especially since the game gave us things like Ryoma's and Sakura's support...Takumi's and Hinoka's). Hoshidan politics REALLY intrigue me to, given how...parts of Birthright/the Drama CDs worked out.

23 minutes ago, Nanima² said:

Problem is, that IntSys likely sees no need to expand on Hoshido's culture since it's derived from Japan, i.e the seat of their primary target audience. Hoshido is the 'default' to them, the primary audience is already supposed to identify with them, while Nohr is the exotic "Other" they have to work to make interesting (and Nohr was still more popular for exactly that reason.). When people whine about "Hoshidan favouritism" they forget that the side that was most harmed by it was Hoshido itself.

That's very true! It's sad, too, because Hoshido =/= Japan. While you can tell where the influences are, that doesn't mean things are one-for-one. Just because the game shows us samurai exist, does that mean we can assume there are random and ragged rounin running around causing trouble? I doubt it, but who knows! We don't know how the economic situation is in Hoshido. Just because a country's prospering, doesn't mean all those resources are going to everyone. Not to mention, we, as the audience, don't really see the "common" folk of Hoshido. Sure, there's the festival in Chapter 5, but that's a brief snapshot during a very happy time. We don't see their day-to-day, or have any insight for how the country operates (I mean, Birthright begs a l-o-t of questions about that one, but...).

A manga/extra bit of worldbuilding would help flesh these sorts of things out. Especially since there are bits of information for Nohr that do so in this new manga...spoiler below:

Spoiler

Leo mentions the possibility of arranged marriage for the sake of a political union. I mean. That's mindboggling to me, since in the game you can wed whoever you want? But this is a disconnect from what the game shows (unless it's just him worrying/fretting, but still...). Sure, this happened back in the era Nohr was based off, but this is something we, as an audience, hadn't had to consider before as a real possibility.

It proves that Nohr has the option/capacity to try to patch up political strife through a method that isn't entirely...murder-y. That's huge, since the game just shows Nohr as "FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT; DEATH, DEATH, DEATH".

23 minutes ago, Nanima² said:

So this fact, combined with resulting popularity of the Nohrian characters everywhere, is likely why they thought a Leo-centered manga set entirely in Nohr, was a reasonable alternative to a more general manga adaptation.

It's sad that the thought was that Nohr is the only demand... I mean, what's the name of the dang continent?! We don't even know! Now we're going to get more insight on one end, and then lose out on the other. Back to speculation, it seems...

7 hours ago, Luna of Dragonblood said:

We don't know how the economic situation is in Hoshido. Just because a country's prospering, doesn't mean all those resources are going to everyone.

Last year, when I had AP US History, I learned about how there was a period in time(around the Great Depression I believe) where farmers produced so much, the price of their crops dropped so severely that they struggled to make a living due to the cost of farming. I thought back then that would have been a great way to turn Hoshido's prosperity on its head.Still do.

If I got something wrong, anybody is free to correct me.

Comparing the relationships between the Nohrian siblings versus the Hoshidan siblings, it almost feels as if Corrin is the "glue" that keeps both families together, in a sense. When Corrin was taken from Hoshido, the Hoshidan siblings drifted apart as a result of the aftermath: Hinoka became obsessed with training and getting Corrin back, neglecting her younger siblings (neither of whom feel close to her, as evidenced by support growth rates), and Ryouma probably had to grow up faster too. Even if the game wants us to believe that Mikoto held the kingdom together, she's not going to hold together any emotional and developmental issues caused by Nohr killing Sumeragi and kidnapping Corrin. In a way, they're almost broken.

In sharp contrast are the Nohr siblings, who get this new sibling who's unaffiliated with the concubine wars and pretty much always there and not a threat, someone they can coo over and know is not going to backstab them. In a way, Corrin is what all of the Nohr siblings had in common and so Corrin seems to be what kept them together.

But again, it's too bad that IS isn't going to go into details about Hoshido.

On 2/4/2017 at 2:48 PM, The DanMan said:

Thanks for the link!  Too bad the writer of this manga didn't write Fates story because this is better written then the games.  This looks like it is going to be good, but I can't tell if this is set in Birthright or Revelations, I hope it is Revelations because Elise is my favorite sister but it could be either one.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2017 at 9:10 AM, EricaofRenais said:

Thanks for the link!  Too bad the writer of this manga didn't write Fates story because this is better written then the games.  This looks like it is going to be good, but I can't tell if this is set in Birthright or Revelations, I hope it is Revelations because Elise is my favorite sister but it could be either one.

Spoiler

As much as I want it to be Revelations, I get the feeling it's Birthright, mainly because the title could be referring to Leo wearing the crown of "Nibelung/Nohr" :(

(Now I'm tempted to rewrite Fates XD)

Oh yay chapter 2!