Origins of Mila and Duma (unmarked Endgame spoilers)

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, TheWerdna said:

Exactly. Because of FE4, Mila and Duma's powers still makes sense given we see Divine Dragons who favored other elements.

Divine =/= Light

No, Divine is light.

Also Salamander was definitely a Fire Dragon, the Fire tribe's true name is even Salamander.

9 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

And Forseti was wind based. Its interesting how the Divine Dragons possessed powers and abilities that are not limited to just light element. What makes this more intriguing is that Jugdral, where even the dragon that gave Valflame, Salamand/er, might have been a Divine Dragon as well, rather than a Fire Dragon. 

Its never totally confirmed Forsetti was Divine, there's indications that Kaga intended him to be a new Wind Dragon.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

16 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Duma's powers were darkness based, while Mila's powers were earth based.

The power of retcon. :p
I prefered Made in Heaven, Pucci and Dio would facepalm.

9 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

And Forseti was wind based. Its interesting how the Divine Dragons possessed powers and abilities that are not limited to just light element. What makes this more intriguing is that Jugdral, where even the dragon that gave Valflame, Salamand/er, might have been a Divine Dragon as well, rather than a Fire Dragon. 

I don't remember that at all. all Divine Dragons we ever seen were light elemental as hell. Beyond Xane that is, who somehow had Mimic powers. and that's only because he threw his dragonstone... like Gotoh who didn't ended up the same.
... so they don't really count.

From what I remember, Hoselti was said to have been a wind dragon (though it might be just the dialogues, plus the interviews, but take this last that as you will, because serously, it was cool),,while Salamand/er whatever they are called, are clearly said to be a Fire Dragon Tribe. And there's a lot of tribe like that.

37 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Its never totally confirmed Forsetti was Divine, there's indications that Kaga intended him to be a new Wind Dragon.

But there were never any mention of other tribes even referred to as a Wind Dragon. Mage/Earth/Fire/Ice/Divine Dragons, and then Wyverns, but that's it. Even if there was intention, the result ended up with no Wind Tribe, but a Divine Tribe. And I believe it actually WAS confirmed that Forseti was in fact a Divine Dragon. 

24 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

I don't remember that at all. all Divine Dragons we ever seen were light elemental as hell. Beyond Xane that is, who somehow had Mimic powers. and that's only because he threw his dragonstone... like Gotoh who didn't ended up the same.
... so they don't really count.
From what I remember, Hoselti was said to have been a wind dragon (though it might be just the dialogues, plus the interviews, but take this last that as you will, because serously, it was cool),,while Salamand/er whatever they are called, are clearly said to be a Fire Dragon Tribe. And there's a lot of tribe like that.

Why not? If anything, the fact they have unique abilities, or rather Xane does, just shows an affinity of power that is unique to them. Also, I was also considering the Fire Dragon Tribe, but mostly because terms like "Holy" goes through translations to mean "Divine", but the Salamander thing was making me think that perhaps there was a bunch of different dragons that worked together, but beats me if its the truth. They were certainly very vague in their dialogue, even from the interview. 

This makes me wonder if there will be a remake of Genealogy, where we can finally see an improved story that ties up all loose ends. Of course, we'll also get the whole thing about Grima being connected to Loptyr, given the parallels they have going for them.

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

But there were never any mention of other tribes even referred to as a Wind Dragon. Mage/Earth/Fire/Ice/Divine Dragons, and then Wyverns, but that's it. Even if there was intention, the result ended up with no Wind Tribe, but a Divine Tribe. And I believe it actually WAS confirmed that Forseti was in fact a Divine Dragon. 

Source for this confirmation.

And Salamander WAS fire.

2 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Source for this confirmation.

And Salamander WAS fire.

Well, both Wikis list him as a Divine Dragon, but of course that is not the most reliable source. Trying to see if I can find a more reliable quote one way or another, as now I am curious as well what the answer is.

So as far as I can tell, there is no confirmation one way or another what type of Dragon Forseti was. The closest thing I can find are translated interviews that seem to be saying that all 12 dragons at the Miracle of Darna were from the same tribe, but that phrasing could simply be an artifact of the translation. In game lines likewise don't give a clear answer other than to say he is known for using wind. But that doesn't tell us if A) He is just a Divine Dragon who favors wind magic or B) He is a wind dragon.

Edit: So and hour of looking and the best I can give is a solid "fucked if I know". I would say we'd have to wait for a remake of FE4 to know for sure... but I am almost 100% certain that if that happens it will say they were all Divine Dragons and then we'd be left not knowing if it was a retcon or not.

So call this a definitive "maybe?"

Edited by TheWerdna

19 minutes ago, TheWerdna said:

So as far as I can tell, there is no confirmation one way or another what type of Dragon Forseti was. The closest thing I can find are translated interviews that seem to be saying that all 12 dragons at the Miracle of Darna were from the same tribe, but that phrasing could simply be an artifact of the translation. In game lines likewise don't give a clear answer other than to say he is known for using wind. But that doesn't tell us if A) He is just a Divine Dragon who favors wind magic or B) He is a wind dragon.

Edit: So and hour of looking and the best I can give is a solid "fucked if I know". I would say we'd have to wait for a remake of FE4 to know for sure... but I am almost 100% certain that if that happens it will say they were all Divine Dragons and then we'd be left not knowing if it was a retcon or not.

So call this a definitive "maybe?"

Forsetti is kind of presumed due to his association with Naga, but its a frequent fan theory he was meant to be a Wind Dragon which indeed show up in Tearring Saga.

6 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Forsetti is kind of presumed due to his association with Naga, but its a frequent fan theory he was meant to be a Wind Dragon which indeed show up in Tearring Saga.

So in other words, we still have know idea and are at the mercy of getting an actual answer from the devs?

Still, I suspect if we ever get a remake of FE4, they will all just be made Divine Dragons (considering we now have a confirmed Divine Dragon who uses earth nagic and another that used dark magic, there is no reason for them not to be) and we'll then we'll all be wondering if it was a retcon or not.

Edited by TheWerdna

2 hours ago, TheWerdna said:

So in other words, we still have know idea and are at the mercy of getting an actual answer from the devs?

Still, I suspect if we ever get a remake of FE4, they will all just be made Divine Dragons (considering we now have a confirmed Divine Dragon who uses earth nagic and another that used dark magic, there is no reason for them not to be) and we'll then we'll all be wondering if it was a retcon or not.

Salamander literally has the same name as the Fire Tribe, there's no way he's not a Fire Dragon.

The others could be anything as you said.

11 hours ago, TheWerdna said:

When have we NOT been at the mercy of the devs being vague about everything? XD

Or they could have the confirmation about the rag tag team. But the reason why it seems like that the Divine Dragons would more likely get involved is because Earth Dragons and Divine Dragons were the ones at odds, rather than the other Tribes. 

Also, it would not surprise me if the remake has the timelines changed completely.

On 4/11/2017 at 9:07 PM, Emperor Hardin said:

Altrenatly, Forsetti could be an ice dragon. FE games often treat wind and ice as the same element (Blizzard is a wind spell in every game it appears in that has distinct elements), and ice dragons are all over the FE mythos. In fact,  my favorite fan theory is that forseti is nills from fe7 (and nills is an ice dragon). Personally, I like it when games have connections as long as the connections make some sort of sense, and don't distort the plot (although some light retconing is OK). The awakening kids in fates are a great example of how to NOT do this. A better example is the GBA port of "a link to the past", which slightly changes one or two sentences in the opening text crawl so that the events described therein more closely resemble "ocarina of time". It is a retcon, but it has almost no effect on the game's story.

This makes sense for the Archanean chronicles I mean they all take place in the same world and all mythos so far as we know was driven by Dragon power prosperity and for the strongest of dragon kind worship. Then some event happened that triggers dragons to descend into madness.

So far Dragons only really are present in Archanea and Elibe and some point later presumably Magvel(If I remember right there only appeared Manakates and Dracozombies there and they fought against Formortiis)

In Elibe the dragons were if memory serves non native or at the very least chose to flee the world after a magical cataclysm caused them to undergo degeneration(though do we  know if it is the same type of degeneration? ).

An interesting thing to note is all the worlds with Draconic degeneration there seems to be a major magical conflict. Even the abysmally vague Fates world features this trait with all the dragons leaving but two one of which threw away his power.

As we know the games can be connected by the Dragon gates this leads to my speculation that the degeneration might be related to unsustainable abuse of the magic in the world. Elibe humans created super weapons that upset the balance. Fates had dragons fighting among each other with human pawns that they fed magical weapons and the likes as their fodder. In comparison in Archanea we are told of great magical creations/cities and the like having been created by dragon kind. And if artifacts are considered the Starsphere(Azure) Geosphere(Vert) Lightsphere(Ardent) Darksphere(Sable) Lifesphere(Gules) are suspicious as while we are told the shield was created to seal the earth dragons the gems seem to have strangely excessive abilities for that leading me to wonder if perhaps they were reused from something else?...(the shield's appearance is similar to Naga's other creation Falchion(now known to be both versions at different times which makes sense as well Naga has multiple fangs and they can presumably regenerate) which would make sense as they both originated from Naga's fangs Plus there are also lots of ancient dragon relics either mentioned or shown. We also know that weapons of old but unknown origin exist namely Gradivus Paritha Hauteclere and Mercurius come to mind. All of these things could have played into magical depletion if that were to be the trigger for degeneration to occur in the very magically attuned dragon kin.

For Magvel we don't really know enough to make any presumptions but perhaps Formortiis played a role? after all he is interesting as the closest FE has to an Eldrich abomination.

As long as Formortiis and Ashera/Yune(Ashunera) remain non dragon entities  this does open up the series to expand into what other than dragons exist in the FE universe.

Tellius makes sense from the concept of being very early in the FE storyline where presumably the major races of the later games had yet to come into existence. (As well as probably a separate realm)

But in all honesty it is pretty speculative given how barren the lore is for this universe. Personally I'd love to have them explore more into what triggered the various degeneration events (we know the scoring in Elibe and degeneration in Archanea (which was once the heart of dragon society)

The TDLR Is I suspect that like the Human caused Scouring Archanean Dragons similarly doomed themselves by upsetting the magical balance of the world via artifact creation magical works or quite possibly by some dragons becoming Too strong to sustainably support.

Edited by Dragrath
fixed error

18 hours ago, Dragrath said:

And if artifacts are considered the Starsphere(Azure) Geosphere(Vert) Lightsphere(Ardent) Darksphere(Sable) Lifesphere(Vert)

It's actually:

Lifesphere - Gules

Starsphere - Azure

Lightsphere - Argent

Darksphere - Sable

Geosphere - Vert

13 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

It's actually:

Lifesphere - Gules

Starsphere - Azure

Lightsphere - Argent

Darksphere - Sable

Geosphere - Vert

Yeah It seems I forgot to replace one when I copy and pasted... Opps... Outside of that how is my argument?

On 4/14/2017 at 10:43 AM, Dragrath said:

Outside of that how is my argument?

Give me a bit. Its a very long read, and I like to really look at it to express my response. 

On 4/13/2017 at 3:55 PM, Dragrath said:

This makes sense for the Archanean chronicles I mean they all take place in the same world and all mythos so far as we know was driven by Dragon power prosperity and for the strongest of dragon kind worship. Then some event happened that triggers dragons to descend into madness.

Archanea IS technically the BEGINNING of Fire Emblem. Marth was the original hero of the Fire Emblem and is still known as the face of the franchise. And honestly, given his character, I think he earned his spot there. 

So far Dragons only really are present in Archanea and Elibe and some point later presumably Magvel(If I remember right there only appeared Manakates and Dracozombies there and they fought against Formortiis)

Well no. Tellius had dragons as well, and they're known to be the top of the species bested only by other dragons or gods. But Magvel clearly has dragons be a powerful race that once again goes into decline. 

In Elibe the dragons were if memory serves non native or at the very least chose to flee the world after a magical cataclysm caused them to undergo degeneration(though do we  know if it is the same type of degeneration? ).

An interesting thing to note is all the worlds with Draconic degeneration there seems to be a major magical conflict. Even the abysmally vague Fates world features this trait with all the dragons leaving but two one of which threw away his power.

Actually, I believe originally the dragons in Elibe lived in harmony with humans. But then something happened where the humans began attacking the dragons because humans are a bunch of dicks and attacks the humans to provoke a war, and then the dragons began to be desperate and produced war dragons, the humans created the legendary weapons, and caused the ice age to occur. Ironically, the Elibe series sort of shows that humans are the true wrongdoers and not dragons, and that Roy was fighting for the bad guys all this time and that Zephiel was truly the right. Mindblown, am I right? XD

As for the case of the degeneration, there was nothing magical mentioned in Archanea, or even Fates for that matter. Archanea says that it just... happened. Dragons just suddenly lost the ability to have kids, and slowly degenerated into madness. Of course, its not that they forever lost it, but they likely just couldn't have kids as easily at that point anymore. The proof that dragons can still be born is because Nowi proved to be born 1000 years before Awakening, making her younger than Tiki even, and before Nowi, Tiki was known to be the last Manakete of the dragon clans. 

For Fates, no idea. Degeneration happened, but there were very little worldbuilding done there.

As we know the games can be connected by the Dragon gates this leads to my speculation that the degeneration might be related to unsustainable abuse of the magic in the world. Elibe humans created super weapons that upset the balance. Fates had dragons fighting among each other with human pawns that they fed magical weapons and the likes as their fodder. In comparison in Archanea we are told of great magical creations/cities and the like having been created by dragon kind. And if artifacts are considered the Starsphere(Azure) Geosphere(Vert) Lightsphere(Ardent) Darksphere(Sable) Lifesphere(Gules) are suspicious as while we are told the shield was created to seal the earth dragons the gems seem to have strangely excessive abilities for that leading me to wonder if perhaps they were reused from something else?...(the shield's appearance is similar to Naga's other creation Falchion(now known to be both versions at different times which makes sense as well Naga has multiple fangs and they can presumably regenerate) which would make sense as they both originated from Naga's fangs Plus there are also lots of ancient dragon relics either mentioned or shown. We also know that weapons of old but unknown origin exist namely Gradivus Paritha Hauteclere and Mercurius come to mind. All of these things could have played into magical depletion if that were to be the trigger for degeneration to occur in the very magically attuned dragon kin.

I believe it was mentioned that the 5 Gemstones are actually Dragonstones as well, similar to the Divine Weapons for Jugdral, where the weapons were or had Dragonstones on them. In which case, its possible that unlike others, these Dragonstones held the very essence of life and power of 5 other Divine Dragons, and they sacrificed themselves to empower the Shield of Seals Naga forged from her fang. 

Also, the Scouring in Elibe only upset the balanced and caused the ice age in that world, but there was never any mention of such an event for the rest of the continents, and the dragons actually fled from Elibe in the Dragons Gate into a world better suited for them. Does it mean they potentially went to Archanea? Well, if they did, they screwed up, cause its another hell waiting for them. 

Yes, Echoes has more or less confirmed that Naga forged 1 Falchion to give to Duma and then forged another one after sealing the Earth Dragons away.

But in all honesty it is pretty speculative given how barren the lore is for this universe. Personally I'd love to have them explore more into what triggered the various degeneration events (we know the scoring in Elibe and degeneration in Archanea (which was once the heart of dragon society)

That would be idea. But then again, the creators love to cock tease us all to death.

On 4/6/2017 at 6:23 PM, Emperor Hardin said:

His new portrait looks pretty monstrous as well.

He isn't evil, but he's ruthless and creepy. In fairness, Mila was just as bad, leading to the Zofians committing actions like hoarding excess food rather then let the starving Rigelians have it.

And yes, in the original, Duma came up with the plan to seal Mila, and presumably himself.

that moment when Zofia is called out for this but Hoshido gets a pass for it

(and yes I am talking about a long time pre Fates war)

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

48 minutes ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

(and yes I am talking about a long time pre Fates war)

Unlike with Zofia, Hoshido and Ylisse's issues are swept under the rug by the narrative.

47 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Unlike with Zofia, Hoshido and Ylisse's issues are swept under the rug by the narrative.

Actually, Plegia might have had issues with crop, but they were not suffering at all. They had access to trade by sea, allowing them to perform intercontinental trade. Plegia had to pay Ylisse and Regna Ferox for the war damages and they STILL had excess gold to fund Ylisse for the war against Valm. So Plegia were by no means doing poorly financially, meaning that the citizens likely were not starving because they could simply buy food easily. 

Their hatred to Ylisse was more on Chrom's father launching a bloody crusade for several years in an attempt to wipe out the Grimleal.

7 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Why would Divine Dragons have the power of Shadow, Earth, and all the other powers in the Emblem's spheres that clearly don't relate to them?

Same reason why Mila can somehow control the earth/life to bring the dead back and also bring crops, and Duma is the edgelord that has dark powers. Just because someone is referred to as Divine does not mean they are purely light based. Once again, the topic of Forseti being most likely a Divine Dragon despite wind powers would mean that Divine Dragons are not limited to a single element.

1 hour ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

How exactly did Hoshido get a pass for it? If anything, everyone calls out Hoshido on this. If anything, Zofia's the one that seems to have gotten the pass.

39 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

How exactly did Hoshido get a pass for it? If anything, everyone calls out Hoshido on this. If anything, Zofia's the one that seems to have gotten the pass.

literally every single time I have brought the issue up on multiple sites I'm accused of being a Nohrian apologist and that Hoshido are the victims here, and that they shouldn't have to provide food for Nohr-

but then a double standard is applied by the same people, where the narrative changes to Zofia is in the wrong and they should have helped out the Rigelians.

just really, really irritates me, especially when people try to say "Nohr basically deserves everything in Birthright and Ryoma is a whiny prince too kind for his own good" and that's why Conquest is a "morally wrong choice"- honestly both CQ and BR have pros and cons to them but the only correct choice is Revelation. And im pretty sure that is by design to encourage playing all paths.

Even in chapter 1 Xander gets his hopes up that the avatar will be able to bring Nohr back to prosperity and a whole slew of things that I don't want to get into at 5 am because holy shit I am tired; but it ends up in Hoshido defenders saying "Nohr is evil but Rigel is a victim" when really it's the exact same fucking country if we're honest here with a slightly better chain of command in Echoes than puppet Garon in Fates with the exact same issue of food shortage and Zophia/Hoshido being stingy asshats.

And that nibbles my jibblets in all the wrong ways.

On 4/13/2017 at 2:53 AM, sirmola said:

Altrenatly, Forsetti could be an ice dragon. FE games often treat wind and ice as the same element (Blizzard is a wind spell in every game it appears in that has distinct elements), and ice dragons are all over the FE mythos. In fact,  my favorite fan theory is that forseti is nills from fe7 (and nills is an ice dragon). Personally, I like it when games have connections as long as the connections make some sort of sense, and don't distort the plot (although some light retconing is OK). The awakening kids in fates are a great example of how to NOT do this. A better example is the GBA port of "a link to the past", which slightly changes one or two sentences in the opening text crawl so that the events described therein more closely resemble "ocarina of time". It is a retcon, but it has almost no effect on the game's story.

No, it is not a retcon. That was all present in the Super Famicom version of ALttP. It's NoA trying (and failing because they still leave a lot of mistranslations in) to fix their fuckup, of which the most grevious was ironing out mention of the three golden goddesses (who were first mentioned in Kamigami no Triforce, not Ocarina of Time) and more damningly, mentions of HYLIA- a goddess who forged the master sword in ALttP that went unnamed- and instead completely fabricating bullshit that the Hylians made the master sword after Ganon claimed the Triforce. Because why translate when NoA can just write whatever they want. (Sounds familiar to the FE fan base doesn't it? Naesala the Evil Swan King of Awakening's English translation will likely agree.)

No, it is not just "one or two sentences in the intro"; the entire fucking game has dialogue corrections to be closer to the Japanese version but it still is a shit translation, just considerably less so than the abomination NoA shat out on Super Nintendo.

no, it is not consistent with the events of OoT even with the Japanese dialogue in mind nor does it even resemble them aside from a superficial similarity that is also shared with the Flood of the adult timeline and ALttP itself. No, HH was not produced in house, it was outsourced to a third party and "supervised" (read: lazily signed off on by) by Aonuma in the same way zelda.com, which said every game had the same Link despite WW explicitly showing a new Link, was signed off on by Nintendo.

no, the final product of OoT was not made to tie into ALttP- that was abandoned partway through development as far as we know and they wrote in "Link goes back in time and undoes everything" to keep continuity by simply not having it in OoT.

Yes, OoT and ALttP seem to have two completely different Ganondorfs in their backstory once we throw TP and FSA into the series mix and eliminate the possibility that "things played out differently once Link undid everything" thus the wholly incompatible origins of Ganondorf in oot and alttp

Sorry for the rant here, but it isn't a retcon. It's a translation correction. Everything in ALttP GBA is (only SLIGHTLY less mangled) text from the Japanese version

a MUCH more apt example is Metroid Zero Mission, which adds postgame content with an earlier incarnation of an antagonist of a chronologically later installment (Meta Ridley's testbed prototype) and ties into a vast majority of the series and explaining questions (the big one being "why does samus use a different power suit model after the events of NES Metroid, from Prime onward"- answered by actually showing her obtain it in the postgame sequence), while similarly being an NES remake.

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

54 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Their hatred to Ylisse was more on Chrom's father launching a bloody crusade for several years in an attempt to wipe out the Grimleal.

Something which no named character brings up other then Gangrel who also says Emmeryn's kindness disgusts him.

Basically the writers used the plot very little unlike Zofia's greed.

On 4/12/2017 at 11:53 PM, sirmola said:

This response is a few days late, that is indeed possible. Though the Wind Dragon in TRS makes me wonder? I wonder if Kaga intended an Earth Dragon to be one of the people at the miracle of Darna, perhaps even Medeus?

54 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Same reason why Mila can somehow control the earth/life to bring the dead back and also bring crops, and Duma is the edgelord that has dark powers. Just because someone is referred to as Divine does not mean they are purely light based. Once again, the topic of Forseti being most likely a Divine Dragon despite wind powers would mean that Divine Dragons are not limited to a single element.

Everything does indicate Divine Dragons are limited to Light/Divine Based powers in the natural forms though.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

Can someone tell me why two dragons that have Greek names (akin to Medeus, an Earth Dragon), heavily affect the crops and the earth with their powers, have been referred to as an "earth goddess" and (from the English patch of Gaiden when Doma casts Megaquake) an "earth spirit", and whose final battle music contains a leitmotif from Medeus' enemy phase music, are divine dragons?

Edited by Party Moth

43 minutes ago, Party Moth said:

Can someone tell me why two dragons that have Greek names (akin to Medeus, an Earth Dragon), heavily affect the crops and the earth with their powers, have been referred to as an "earth goddess" and (from the English patch of Gaiden when Doma casts Megaquake) an "earth spirit", and whose final battle music contains a leitmotif from Medeus' enemy phase music, are divine dragons?

Ss_fe02_casting_megaquake.png

You're right.