Do you think 8-4 will do localization?

I personally prefer the dialogue that 8-4 has written for Awakening and SoV over what Treehouse has done with Fates. I thought Treehouse did alright with FE7 and 8's script. I personally haven't played Tellius, but cutting content from RD doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I guess none of this really affects me, but that's my two cents.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 18/5/2017 at 0:40 PM, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I personally prefer the dialogue that 8-4 has written for Awakening and SoV over what Treehouse has done with Fates. I thought Treehouse did alright with FE7 and 8's script. I personally haven't played Tellius, but cutting content from RD doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I guess none of this really affects me, but that's my two cents.

Cut content? Did I miss something on this topic? I'm just asking and I apologize if I'm bothering you. In any case, RD didn't really cut anything. If anything else. It added more things to the game such as battle saves and the personal weapons of the Dawn Brigade, so, again, if I missed something, I'd be happy to know what.

3 minutes ago, The Malign Knight said:

Cut content? Did I miss something on this topic? I'm just asking and I apologize if I'm bothering you. In any case, RD didn't really cut anything. If anything else. It added more things to the game such as battle saves and the personal weapons of the Dawn Brigade, so, again, if I missed something, I'd be happy to know what.

Radiant Dawn's normal and hard modes (Hard and Maniac) in JP had an extended script, Treehouse didn't use this script when localising the game and as a result, 5% of the script was lost.Here's something from this very site on the matter.

1 minute ago, DaloDask said:

Radiant Dawn's normal and hard modes (Hard and Maniac) in JP had an extended script, Treehouse didn't use this script when localising the game and as a result, 5% of the script was lost.Here's something from this very site on the matter.

Ah, the extended script! I forgot about that! Thanks for making me remember about it!

On 5/17/2017 at 9:55 PM, AmericanBuizel said:

EDIT: Also, I'm enjoying the controversy that is this thread :3 

And I'd enjoy it if you'd behave in such a way that I don't have to step in as a mod.  So kindly don't start fires, or add fuel to them.

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

And I'd enjoy it if you'd behave in such a way that I don't have to step in as a mod.  So kindly don't start fires, or add fuel to them.

And I'm not trying to start any "fires or add fuel to them". I'm just simply saying I'm liking all the controversy in this and I'm grabbing my popcorn.

1 hour ago, AmericanBuizel said:

And I'm not trying to start any "fires or add fuel to them". I'm just simply saying I'm liking all the controversy in this and I'm grabbing my popcorn.

You're free to watch things unfold.  What I don't want to see is you instigating controversy, or making it worse.

12 hours ago, The Malign Knight said:

Ah, the extended script! I forgot about that! Thanks for making me remember about it!

RD also had several technical mistakes that made the localization looked really rushed. Prime examples are Muarim having Mist's description in the character log, or cutting out the points mechanic in Forging but keeping all the dialogue related to it (Two base convos).

4 hours ago, Jave said:

RD also had several technical mistakes that made the localization looked really rushed. Prime examples are Muarim having Mist's description in the character log, or cutting out the points mechanic in Forging but keeping all the dialogue related to it (Two base convos).

That was just a bug with a text ID in memory.

That has nothing to do with localization.

1 hour ago, shadowofchaos said:

That was just a bug with a text ID in memory.

That has nothing to do with localization.

Then whose fault is it? Stuff like that shouldn't happen.

On 5/18/2017 at 0:55 AM, AmericanBuizel said:

You do realize it was 8-4 that localized Xenoblade X, right? 

EDIT: Also, I'm enjoying the controversy that is this thread :3 

Nintendo of America did majority of the localization of Xenoblade X.  8-4 only did tiny little dialogues here and there but majority of the works or 95% of the script was NoA.

I'd definitely like 8-4 back.

Treehouse's localization of Fates just felt cut and dry, like the dialogue was written by a group of teenagers doing an amateur internet RP.

Awakening's really came to life and felt like a living, breathing world. And it also introduced the word 'dastard' to many people's vernacular. :P

3 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

I'd definitely like 8-4 back.

Treehouse's localization of Fates just felt cut and dry, like the dialogue was written by a group of teenagers doing an amateur internet RP.

Awakening's really came to life and felt like a living, breathing world. And it also introduced the word 'dastard' to many people's vernacular. :P

Dastard's been all over the place prior to FE:A.

That word was all over Final Fantasy 4/6, and any kid who grew up between the 70s and 90s(Via Cartoon Network) certainly knows about Dick Dastardly from Wacky Races.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Dastard's been all over the place prior to FE:A.

That word was all over Final Fantasy 4/6, and any kid who grew up between the 70s and 90s(Via Cartoon Network) certainly knows about Dick Dastardly from Wacky Races.

"Dastardly" is common thanks to Dick, but I've noticed a lot of people don't seem to realize it's the adjective form of "dastard", or that "dastard" is an actual word.

I actually haven't played any Final Fantasy so I didn't know about its use there, admittedly.

I would be fine if 8-4 localized future FEs, but I would be deeply disappointed if it was Treehouse.

To be fair, a lot of the censorship issues with Fates might have had more to do with Nintendo of America than just Treehouse. Other NoA published RPGs, Bravely Default, TMS #FE, Bravely Second, and Xenoblade X were all censored, even without Treehouse doing the localization. Even TMS #FE, which was done by Atlus, I think at one point an employee tweeted that things were changed on NoA's request. So altering games for release outside of Japan seems to be an NoA policy.

That being said, with things like that gem of the Beruka x Saizo "..." support and changes to character personalities like with Effie, and plenty of minor support and character changes... I would prefer that Treehouse stay away from Fire Emblem.

8-4 has done a fine job, though they are not perfect. For example, I did not like the alteration of Henry's character in Awakening. I'd still much prefer them over Treehouse.

On 5/15/2017 at 7:10 AM, Harvey said:

I honestly think that bashing treehouse for the Fates localisation is disrespectful. They are just doing their job of localizing the games they are assigned to.

Majority of the games that are localized are done by the treehouse staff and it actually started being formed when there were complaints of horrible translations during the 8 and mid 16 bit era. 

It's not disrespectful to criticize a poor job. Yes, Treehouse were doing a job, that they were assigned to. Yes, it's a difficult job. But that doesn't mean they're immune to criticism when they fail at that job. 

Treehouse isn't bad because of a poor localization effort on Fates. Treehouse generally does really good work. But Fates was abysmal on almost every level, with sweeping changes that defy any concept of the definition of "localization." When an entire support conversation that involved two characters speaking to each other at length about very serious topics is changed in the English to just "......" between each of them, as if it's a joke, that is an utter and complete failure of localization. 

It is not in any way disrespectful to say they did an awful job on Fates. If people then go "Treehouse SUCKS and they shouldn't localize ANYTHING EVER," that's a whole different conversation, and that is indeed disrespectful and untrue, as Treehouse often does a good job. But their team changes, and people wary of them localizing more FE titles after failing with Fates is completely reasonable, and not in any way disrespectful. 

When a company has a job, they need to do an excellent job at it. If they don't, they are fully and completely open to all deserved criticism. Respect has nothing to do with it.

8 hours ago, TadpoleSuperHero said:

It's not disrespectful to criticize a poor job. Yes, Treehouse were doing a job, that they were assigned to. Yes, it's a difficult job. But that doesn't mean they're immune to criticism when they fail at that job. 

Treehouse isn't bad because of a poor localization effort on Fates. Treehouse generally does really good work. But Fates was abysmal on almost every level, with sweeping changes that defy any concept of the definition of "localization." When an entire support conversation that involved two characters speaking to each other at length about very serious topics is changed in the English to just "......" between each of them, as if it's a joke, that is an utter and complete failure of localization. 

It is not in any way disrespectful to say they did an awful job on Fates. If people then go "Treehouse SUCKS and they shouldn't localize ANYTHING EVER," that's a whole different conversation, and that is indeed disrespectful and untrue, as Treehouse often does a good job. But their team changes, and people wary of them localizing more FE titles after failing with Fates is completely reasonable, and not in any way disrespectful. 

When a company has a job, they need to do an excellent job at it. If they don't, they are fully and completely open to all deserved criticism. Respect has nothing to do with it.

Even though I agree with you here that professionalism is the main thing in the end, the problem is that many people here seem to want 8-4 to localize the games more so than Treehouse. And the problem with that is that even if they do so, NoA will most likely censor content like how they always do.

And yes, many comments from here and especially from this forums main site were very disrespectful to Treehouse so again, my case in point.

• 3 weeks later...

The censorship complaints are stupid. If you're upset over missing skimpy bikinis and fondling animu characters, that says more about you than it does about Nintendo of America.

However, Treehouse is most definitely inferior to 8-4. For one, they always G-rate their scripts, swapping out normal PG rated insults (like damn or shit) with childish equivalents like darn, and two, they arbitrarily change legit english names just because they don't like the sound of the original (Kilroy, Senerio, etc.). 8-4's localized dialogue is simply better as well.

On 5/25/2017 at 0:50 PM, TadpoleSuperHero said:

Treehouse isn't bad because of a poor localization effort on Fates. Treehouse generally does really good work.

One thing that people often seem to forget is that everyone does SOME bad work at some point, even if the quality of their work is excellent in general. I

10 hours ago, bufkus said:

The censorship complaints are stupid. If you're upset over missing skimpy bikinis and fondling animu characters, that says more about you than it does about Nintendo of America.

However, Treehouse is most definitely inferior to 8-4. For one, they always G-rate their scripts, swapping out normal PG rated insults (like damn or shit) with childish equivalents like darn, and two, they arbitrarily change legit english names just because they don't like the sound of the original (Kilroy, Senerio, etc.). 8-4's localized dialogue is simply better as well.

I have to agree with the first part of that. I, for one, would have HATED skinship. It just feels like unnecessary pandering. I have to disagree about "shit" being PG, though. THat being said,swear words are often implied by the japanese text (by using a low politeness level), rather than explicitly included. As such, good writers can just write angry or annoyed dialog in many cases without resorting to swear words (or g-rated equivelents), and not censer a thing.

I'd say Treehouse is localizing the new game right now as we speak. My guess is that 8-4 localized SoV because Treehouse was too busy localizing the new game. NoA doesn't care about their fans. 

17 minutes ago, AmericanBuizel said:

I'd say Treehouse is localizing the new game right now as we speak. My guess is that 8-4 localized SoV because Treehouse was too busy localizing the new game. NoA doesn't care about their fans. 

First off, accusing Nintendo of America for not caring about their fans is flat out dim-witted when they hired 8-4 in the first place, which is a very good localization company. If they "didn't care", they would have grabbed some average localization company. But they didn't. And that's for just one thing, too.

Second, from what I've looked up, localization, at least at minimum, is 5 months. The FE Switch game, which hasn't even been shown yet, is due for release in 2018. Localization likely wouldn't have started yet for a big project.

Edited by NoirCore

6 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

First off, accusing Nintendo of America for not caring about their fans is flat out dim-witted when they hired 8-4 in the first place, which is a very good localization company. If they "didn't care", they would have grabbed some average localization company. But they didn't. And that's for just one thing, too.

Second, from what I've looked up, localization, at least at minimum, is 5 months. The FE Switch game, which hasn't even been shown yet, is due for release in 2018. Localization likely wouldn't have started yet for a big project.

Remember Xenoblade Chronicles and how long it took for it to come to the America? 

Yet, the localization for Echoes took about a month. That's probably due to them working along side the development team and the same can apply to the new game. 

Edited by AmericanBuizel

5 minutes ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Remember Xenoblade Chronicles and how long it took for it to come to the America? 

Yet, the localization for Echoes took about a month. That's probably due to them working along side the development team and the same can apply to the new game. 

1) Still doesn't mean they don't care when they still bothered to do it. They care about their fans. Fact.

2) So then it's not being localized "right now as we speak", contrary to what you say? It's coming out in 2018, and if it's a month (which seems too quick for localization, especially with VA work), it'd have to be December, and that's assuming it even comes out early 2018. Not that I believe VA work for a game with full voice acting took that short.

17 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

1) Still doesn't mean they don't care when they still bothered to do it. They care about their fans. Fact.

2) So then it's not being localized "right now as we speak", contrary to what you say? It's coming out in 2018, and if it's a month (which seems too quick for localization, especially with VA work), it'd have to be December, and that's assuming it even comes out early 2018. Not that I believe VA work for a game with full voice acting took that short.

1. They brought it over because they saw it do well in Europe. They only care about money. 

2. The devs are probably giving Treehouse the scripts and dialogue to translate as we speak. Besides, we didn't have to wait too long for BotW to come out here in the west or the 3DS Pokemon titles. 

Well yeah, those are Pokemon and Zelda, two of Nintendo's biggest IPs.  No matter how big Fire Emblem has gotten in recent years, it's still nothing in comparison to Pokemon and Zelda.

Xenoblade Chronicles came out in what was basically the dark ages of JRPGs.  Seriously, how many big popular JRPGs came out in the PS3/Wii/XBox360 era that weren't parts of established and popular franchises (so basically, not Pokemon or Final Fantasy)?

I'm positive that 8-4 is gonna be here to stay as the localization company of choice for Nintendo JRPGs, most notably Fire Emblem.  Nintendo executives aren't stupid.  They saw the poor response the Fates localization got (as hokey as most of the complaints are, even I think it's a definite dip in quality compared to Awakening and Echoes) so I think Treehouse isn't going to be given any Fire Emblem games any time soon.  Have them stick to Mario RPGs and such.