Opinions on Lloyd's Heroes artwork

CatManThree

Lloyd from FE 7's artwork for heroes was just released and it to be honest looks a bit odd to me. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Spoiler

IMG_20170515_014758.thumb.jpg.7b84a59fc53e2a3c760e1bdfd944e8a5.jpg

We're did you get the artwork from? It looks a lot different from Llyod that we know of. I did heard the data-miners only found voice clips and the Regal Blade, but that was it.

I didn't have a problem with it before, but now I'm starting to notice things. His head is kind of big, his hands are freakishly big, and he looks very dead.

Spoiler

And yes, I do know what happens to him, but it's not like he was risen from the dead so we can summon him. It's most likely to just assume that this was before he reached his end.

I never got far enough in FE7 to ever encounter him, but it seems like people dislike it because it doesn't fit him, which I can see clearly with his original art. I honestly think he looked better in the FE7 original artwork.

I think the artstyle does look nice and it's fairly detailed, but maybe the chose the wrong artist for him. If I knew who the artist was and other artworks they've done, then I could probably do a more proper judgement with this. 

1 hour ago, King Marth 64 said:

We're did you get the artwork from? It looks a lot different from Llyod that we know of. I did heard the data-miners only found voice clips and the Regal Blade, but that was it.

If you check in the General Discussion, the recent update was already data mined with all the artworks and other info. It is him.

I can't take my eyes off those long fingers. The face isn't great. I feel like giving him teeth would have added to his facial profile. And that red cloth draped over his waist seems like a useless detail. Same with the excessive presence of belts all over his coat, but I guess that's a japanese quirk.

4 minutes ago, KongDude said:

I think the artstyle does look nice and it's fairly detailed, but maybe the chose the wrong artist for him. If I knew who the artist was and other artworks they've done, then I could probably do a more proper judgement with this.

Based on the shading and line style, it's almost certainly pikomaro, who did Wrys.

9 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

And that red cloth draped over his waist seems like a useless detail. Same with the excessive presence of belts all over his coat, but I guess that's a japanese quirk.

He had these belts (at least some of them) and that red sash since 2003.

I'm bad at maths but I'm pretty sure only two belts around his arms have been added to his coat.
Boots had to have been detailed, and belts on boots aren't Japanese-only thing either.

Edited by Vaximillian

1 hour ago, Gustavos said:

I can't take my eyes off those long fingers. The face isn't great. I feel like giving him teeth would have added to his facial profile. And that red cloth draped over his waist seems like a useless detail. Same with the excessive presence of belts all over his coat, but I guess that's a japanese quirk.

Never noticed the belts around his arms some how. What are those even for?

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Based on the shading and line style, it's almost certainly pikomaro, who did Wrys.

Ah. It does have a very similar style. Wrys also has a fairly large, and weird hand.

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Eww, I don't like it there either. From his in-game portrait it was just handsomely rugged dude with blonde hair. I never imagined the full coat would have been drawn like that.

I guess Lloyd's fine. I wouldn't say this artwork "betrays" his character, he's just slightly uglier. And the datamined voice lines from earlier seem good for him too.

6 minutes ago, KongDude said:

Never noticed the belts around his arms some how. What are those even for?

Ah. It does have a very similar style. Wrys also has a fairly large, and weird hand.

I belt zero bucks its for Aesthetics because it gave an image of tied up but not really tied up hands or something like that

.....hey don't judge me

He's missing his manly jaw and manly square chin and the manliness in his stubble. And he's got too many wrinkles. The less conspicuous stubble makes him look younger, but the wrinkles make him look older, and his attacking and damaged artwork just make him look old and weary. I don't think he looks like a zombie in them, but he would certainly fit in perfectly in Dead of Winter.

His attacking and damaged artwork makes him look like he's somewhat lost the composure he's known for, which somewhat bothers me.

His hair is also a bit shorter than in his original art, which makes him look just a tad bit more generic and a tad bit more old and weary, and the paleness of his hair isn't really helping either.

I don't think it's bad, but it's just not great.

What did they do to him. ;_; Maybe it's Morph! Lloyd... I agree with Ice Dragon though. That stubble and chin really made Lloyd, well, Lloyd. Is it me, or am I the only person who thinks Lloyd is a dead ringer for the actor Justin Hartley?

I don't think it's awful, though that attack artwork's expression has his mouth real wide open. 

Something about his artwork makes me think of Resident Evil or something like that. Maybe the shading?

Aside from what was already mentioned (the face, the mouth, the hands, the pose, etc.) There is also the fact the the colors used for the image are very pale and unsaturated, which makes him look very lifeless (and I get elderly vibes from it too, probably cuz of Wrys). It makes wonder how much info the artists are given of the characters they are drawing, but the original image should really be enough though.

I also saw someone on reddit trying to do their own edit to the image.

As of now, they're my new favorite person.

If it wasn't for the voice clip "In the Black Fang, I'm known as the White Wolf", I'd think the developers confused Lloyd and Linus. Or the White Wolf with the Fates Bandit.

Or with the Doc from Back to the Future.

2 hours ago, KongDude said:

I didn't have a problem with it before, but now I'm starting to notice things. His head is kind of big, his hands are freakishly big, and he looks very dead.

maybe it's the morph version of Lloyd

2 hours ago, Blade_of_Light said:

Aside from what was already mentioned (the face, the mouth, the hands, the pose, etc.) There is also the fact the the colors used for the image are very pale and unsaturated, which makes him look very lifeless (and I get elderly vibes from it too, probably cuz of Wrys). It makes wonder how much info the artists are given of the characters they are drawing, but the original image should really be enough though.

I also saw someone on reddit trying to do their own edit to the image.

As of now, they're my new favorite person.

The picture on the right looks feral or possessed. Jokes about Morphs aside, I don't see how anyone saw that artwork and said "Yup, definitely captured the original, A+"

You know, thinking about the new chapter, my current guess is that he is supposed to be a Morph: the Permadeath mode will involve going into the Underworld to find Zacharias, and it wouldn't be out of place to find Morphs in such a setting. Why he and Camus got switched, on the other hand... maybe they didn't want to release Xander and Camus so close to one another because they both have Distant Counter?

7 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Why he and Camus got switched, on the other hand... maybe they didn't want to release Xander and Camus so close to one another because they both have Distant Counter?

Lloyd and Camus didn't get switched. They haven't even announced Camus at all, whereas Lloyd has been announced back in March:
WIVNdhvCsNA.jpg