FE: SoV - Studio 8-4's Translation Nit-picks (Open Discussion)

For this post I'll be using "Mrperson0's" video as a reference.

Video title: Fire Emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia All Support Conversations English Version

Video link: 

First and foremost, Studio 8-4 absolutely knocked it out of the park with the "Support Convo" in this game, at least in my opinion. The team did accentuate on some relationships and a certain character a tad much. 

Positives (IMO): 

- The translation closely follows the original script, with a few charming twists.

- The voice cast is fantastic; resembles the Japanese cast very much so (in terms of delivery and tone.)

"Miss(es)" (IMO):

- Studio 8-4's over-emphasizing on Ephie's/Faye's feelings for Alm in the support, and removing the subtlety of Alm's awareness to Ephie's/Faye's love

(In the original A-rank support, she comes to terms with her infatuation with Alm, instead of droning on how much she loves him so)

Rough translation (original dialogue): 

- picks up where Ephie says "What do you think? Do you think my dream will be realized?"

Alm: ...sorry, Ephie.

Alm: I'm not planning on returning to the village. I no longer can.

Alm: There're so many things I have yet to accomplish.

Alm: And that's all thanks to my friends...

Alm: Thanks to you (everyone in Alm's army), I was able to find my purpose in life.

Alm: That's why, I thank you, Ephie.

Alm: It's been my pleasure to be able to travel with you.

Ephie: Ahem... I knew you would say that.

Ephie: I'm also very glad to be able to travel with you, Alm.

Ephie: Once this journey ends, it's time for us to go our separate way. Isn't that right, Alm.

Ephie: But until then, hope you permit me to keep on loving you like before. Just this one thing, Is that fine? (Less clunky - Ephie: But until then, please allow me to hang on to these feelings of mine. Is that alright?)

Alm: Of course... (Can't find an appropriate onomatopoeia to convey Alm's feeling, so I have this phrase instead; the original sound closely resembles "um" or "erm")

I don't think Studio 8-4 needs to go that extra mile, as shown in the video (around 8:10 - 8:15), to make clear that Alm is not interested. Perhaps just me, I really don't think Alm is a blockhead like Tiz or Yew, protagonists of the "Bravely Series". He knows what's up.

Overall, like what I'm seeing so far. Definitely going to pick up an English copy in the future. Hope fans alike will continue to support the franchise, no matter good or bad time. 

"Hum de dum de do" - Jail bait #???

Edited by Generic_Enemy_Knight_#???
Typo

That is a pretty small thing to nit-pick about. But then again, it's nitpicking for a reason.

I have no complaints. I think they did a good job at localization. I do feel like I'm hearing the usage of the word "lout" quite a lot though.

5 minutes ago, Reflex said:

Bring back Treehouse.

Please tell me you're joking.

Anyways, my only complaint so far is Deen's voice. He sound like Squidward and I just don't think it fits him and all his edgyness More of a reason to pick Sonya I guess.

13 minutes ago, Generic_Enemy_Knight_#??? said:

- Studio 8-4's over-emphasizing on Ephie's/Faye's feelings for Alm in the support, and removing the subtlety of Alm's awareness to Ephie's/Faye's love

(In the original A-rank support, she comes to terms with her infatuation with Alm, instead of droning on how much she loves him so)

I know it's a nitpick but have to disagree with this. I don't really think Faye's feelings for Alm were over-emphasized (if you want over-emphasized, just hear Faye's Heroes quotes), and regarding the A-Support, it was pretty damn accurate to the original. In both version, Faye confesses to Alm by telling him about her dream/wish of wanting to live with him. And of course, Alm says he can't. Going even further, we see Faye basically accepting the friendzone in both versions.

Japanese version:

Faye: "Well...I figured you'd say something like that"

English version:

Faye: "I should've known such a thing wasn't really possible"

Both of those quotes are basically saying the same thing.

And in both versions, Faye asks Alm if she can keep loving him, at least until the journey is over. And one last thing

14 minutes ago, Generic_Enemy_Knight_#??? said:

I don't think Studio 8-4 needs to go that extra mile, as shown in the video (around 8:10 - 8:15), to make clear that Alm is not interested.

Honestly,  Alm saying "You're very special to me Faye. Just not in the way you want" makes it sound better for the ears of an English speaking person, just like how the Japanese version of the Support would sound better in the ears of a Japanese person.

Anyway, regarding Faye's English Supports, maybe it's just me, but I feel she's a bit more likable now. I mean, yeah, she was rude to Silque, but when she apologizes in the English version, she straight-up says "sorry for being rude" whereas in the Japanese version, it wasn't as clear (for a non-Japanese speaker)

On 5/16/2017 at 3:07 AM, Armagon said:

And in both versions, Faye asks Alm if she can keep loving him, at least until the journey is over. And one last thing

Honestly,  Alm saying "You're very special to me Faye. Just not in the way you want" makes it sound better for the ears of an English speaking person, just like how the Japanese version of the Support would sound better in the ears of a Japanese person.

Anyway, regarding Faye's English Supports, maybe it's just me, but I feel she's a bit more likable now. I mean, yeah, she was rude to Silque, but when she apologizes in the English version, she straight-up says "sorry for being rude" whereas in the Japanese version, it wasn't as clear (for a non-Japanese speaker)

Hey Armagon, thanks for the reply. Yeah, in the Japanese version, Faye has a roundabout way of saying sorry. Starting off saying "I feel lonely when you(Silque) stopped talking to me. I'm sorry for being so selfish before."   

Edited by Generic_Enemy_Knight_#???
Typo

I won't be watching the supports video due to spoilers, but I would like to say that the full English voice cast has been leaked on Imgur. For those of you who are wanting to match the characters to their VA's, here is a fully embedded copy of the VA screenshots from the credits. 

Everybody talks like they're from a Joss Whedon production, unfortunately (tons of snark to go around). And judging the stuff I've from the main game, I'd say they went a bit far in making things sound funny. I think Fates' localization is a good deal better than Awakenings and when all's said and done I have a feeling SoV's will end up falling a bit short.

9 hours ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

I REALLY hope your joking Gods no....but I realize its sarcasm.

Every heard of opinions? Judging from how I've seen you act here and elsewhere, probably not.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

Everybody talks like they're from a Joss Whedon production, unfortunately (tons of snark to go around). And judging the stuff I've from the main game, I'd say they went a bit far in making things sound funny. I think Fates' localization is a good deal better than Awakenings and when all's said and done I have a feeling SoV's will end up falling a bit short.

I have to disagree with you here I'm afraid, I think that the localisation shown here is a lot better than in Fates, in my opinion, and is probably equal to Awakening - I particularly like the way they've managed to stay pretty truthful to the Japanese translation but also been liberal enough to have phrased everything to make smooth sense for an English speaker.

My only little nitpick is how a lot of the supports had the same structure in them:

C - one says hi, the other is rude and they fall out

B - continuing to fall out

A - rude character apologises and they make up

I kinda wished that they might add a bit more variety with these supports, although I loved the acting and the delivery of each and every line (well, maybe not Deen's). 

Also, a few more supports would have been nice for some characters who sorely need them, I.e. Lukas, Genny, Silque, and Saber in particular.

all in all, this game looks (and sounds) great, and I can't wait for my copy to come this Friday!

6 hours ago, Hoshidokoala said:

I have to disagree with you here I'm afraid, I think that the localisation shown here is a lot better than in Fates, in my opinion, and is probably equal to Awakening - I particularly like the way they've managed to stay pretty truthful to the Japanese translation but also been liberal enough to have phrased everything to make smooth sense for an English speaker.

And there's where we disagree-- I was fine with Fates' localization overall, while Awakening's did every single one of Fates' perceived flaws even worse.
There wasn't any point in Fates' main story where I raised my eyebrows and wondered if something said had really been there. The sudden injection of snarky banter everywhere and some straight anachronistic references (Mae's "roast marshmallows" comment just feels wrong) into SoV has made me repeatedly want to dig-up fanlations and see if any of that stuff was there.

At the end of the day though, it's not a big deal and it won't overly effect my enjoyment of the game.

7 hours ago, Hoshidokoala said:

My only little nitpick is how a lot of the supports had the same structure in them:

C - one says hi, the other is rude and they fall out

B - continuing to fall out

A - rude character apologises and they make up

I kinda wished that they might add a bit more variety with these supports, although I loved the acting and the delivery of each and every line (well, maybe not Deen's). 

Also, a few more supports would have been nice for some characters who sorely need them, I.e. Lukas, Genny, Silque, and Saber in particular.

all in all, this game looks (and sounds) great, and I can't wait for my copy to come this Friday!

I have yet to see any overt pop-culture references in SoV, so it's miles above Awakening so far.

Fates is just a bad translation where the localizers took basically every opportunity they could to change shit.

Edited by Slumber

6 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I have yet to see any overt pop-culture references in SoV, so it's miles above Awakening so far.

Fates is just a bad translation where the localizers took basically every opportunity they could to change shit.

I can sympathise with preserving originality, but Fates's Japanese text was pretty lackluster so there really wasn't much to lose. Turning Saizo x Beruka C into a joke conversation was the only thing that went too far IMO.

13 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I've seen two people who know Japanese (the gal behind feaccordingtojapan and Bigklingy, who was an active member on this forum until the Awakening drama and is studying Japanese in grad school) say that large parts of Awakening's story text is entirely different from the Japenese version. The former's compared it to a sarcastic self-parody of the original, even. There are also numerous instances in Awakening's supports were stuff was changed (Chrom/Sumia being infamous, alongside the total rewrite of Henry).
Fates isn't perfect, but basically everything you can complain about in it's localization is present in Awakening's-- and in greater quantities. 

6 hours ago, VincentASM said:

I can sympathise with preserving originality, but Fates's Japanese text was pretty lackluster so there really wasn't much to lose. Turning Saizo x Beruka C into a joke conversation was the only thing that went too far IMO.

IMO, localisers should have care blanch to change things if the origional stinks.

53 minutes ago, sirmola said:

IMO, localisers should have care blanch to change things if the origional stinks.

A) Carte blanche

B) Only in EXTREME cases, like Samurai Pizza Cats or Ghost Stories or something (There are weird cases, like Yu Yu Hakusho's anime being changed a bit to fit better with the tone of the manga than the original Japanese script for the anime. Or Vegeta's reason for getting angry when Cell killed Trunks, but these are few and far between). Otherwise, no. The job of a localizer is to localize, not alter the work however they want.

7 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Turning Saizo x Beruka C into a joke conversation was the only thing that went too far IMO.

Spoiler

You call that a conversation?

The next bit isn't directed at Vincent, but more just for the people who generally won't stop bringing it up.  This is supposed to be a discussion about Echoes, not the localization of Fates or Awakening.  Let's leave this talk of Treehouse to the dust.  It's grown old, and it's as stale as ever.  I think we can all show appreciation or disapproval (yeah right) of 8-4's localization without constantly bringing up the older localizations.

Anyway, I'll probably return to this thread later when I actually play the game (because I'm not gonna watch any video on Echoes until I get it; also, if it doesn't turn into some dumb hate train for one thing or another), but until then, I'll only bring up a few "nitpicks" that I have with the limited pre-release information I have chosen to take in.

- I still have yet to be convinced that Faye isn't bad character.  I just really don't like the premise of her being this super Alm fangirl.  In regards to her localization, I was hoping she'd be toned down, but if what I've heard is true, she's even worse.  Bear in mind, however, that I've scarcely seen much of her overall presence aside from what happens in the beginning and snippets here and there, so I don't know if that's all there is or not.  All I know is what people have said, and that's hardly a reliable source of information.  And no, I did not read the support conversation the OP dumped out in their post.

- There does seem to be an awfully snarky tone in a lot of the dialogue I've seen in this game.  It'd be fine if this was a satire or comedy, but it isn't, so I think it might get mildly annoying and take away a little bit from the serious tone of the overall story.  I'm unsure of if this is localization specific, though.  I am familiar with the idea of comic relief, and I believe sometimes its implementation could mean the difference between a genuinely well-written story encompassing various different emotions and an edgy PoS, but if there's a snarky remark around every corner, I won't be able to take the story so seriously.  And again, I have limited information, so this opinion may change.

- Not sure if this is really a complaint, but it's still a little odd hearing "Mill-la" instead of "Meel-la".  What if "Mila" was shorthand for "Camilla", and it turned out the cowhorn-crowned princess of Nohr was the true goddess of Zofia?

On 5/16/2017 at 8:02 AM, The DanMan said:

Every heard of opinions? Judging from how I've seen you act here and elsewhere, probably not.

It was sarcasm so stop trying to start something.....

14 hours ago, Slumber said:

A) Carte blanche

B) Only in EXTREME cases, like Samurai Pizza Cats or Ghost Stories or something (There are weird cases, like Yu Yu Hakusho's anime being changed a bit to fit better with the tone of the manga than the original Japanese script for the anime. Or Vegeta's reason for getting angry when Cell killed Trunks, but these are few and far between). Otherwise, no. The job of a localizer is to localize, not alter the work however they want.

To a certain extent changing things is needed for localization. Certain jokes or references that make sense to Japanese or German would need to be localized to something that makes more sense to the country it is being localized for. A good example of this was in Inside Out. One of the scenes has a child not wanting to eat broccoli in the US version. Makes sense to us, kids typically hate vegetables here, or at least that is how the joke goes. But in Japan it was changed to peppers. This was because they have more of a joke around kids not wanting to eat peppers instead of Broccoli. It was a completely reasonable localization change that did its job. So changing things under those circumstances isnt a bad thing.

Now over excessive changes to the point of it almost being a completely different story is another thing. For example the Saizo x Beruka support was a little much, and I have a bit of issues with the change between Peri and Arthur's support. While I can understand changing it because the original was about her breasts being too big for the shirt she was trying to buy, the idea of her buying clothes kind of humanized her a bit, which is sorely needed for that character. Changing it to a weapon just made it more about Peri always killing. All they needed to change was why she was having problems with the shirt. Easily could of been changed to the tailor getting details wrong or something if it was that bad.

On 5/15/2017 at 11:23 PM, KoolioKenneth said:

I won't be watching the supports video due to spoilers, but I would like to say that the full English voice cast has been leaked on Imgur. For those of you who are wanting to match the characters to their VA's, here is a fully embedded copy of the VA screenshots from the credits. 

AWESOME Sean Chiplock is on there. He's like my favorite VA in recent years, he's a super friendly guy too, even reponds to tweets and fan requests in terms of voicing things. Also donates and participates in streams

Edited by Jedi

On 5/15/2017 at 7:51 PM, Reflex said:

Bring back Treehouse.

No.

Last thing we need is Nintendo once again randomly changing perfectly legit English names just because they don't like the way they sound.

edit: apparently you were being sarcastic lol. but yeah, Treehouse SUCKS.

Edited by bufkus

So far, I have two quibbles with pronunciation and spelling which I assume are 8-4's responsibility.

First, Rigel. I've always pronounced it like that star (or the alien planet from The Simpsons). Long "I", soft "G". But then the game pronounced it like it was spelled "Riggelle"

Second: Berkut. It looks a bit Engrish-y, in my opinion. The way it's pronounced, it'd be nicer if it was spelled like "Bercoot" or something.

I'm also still of the mind that "Valencia" and "Zophia" would be better choices, but that might've be a Nintendo decision.