What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, GodSejeong97 said:

Faye > Celica.

As a character or as a love interest?

3 hours ago, Axie said:

it would actually be easier to just have weapons and items cost more at shops. that's something that fire emblem has been able to do since BinBla and its prep screen armory.

i love the idea of harder difficulties restricting non-combat life (instead of removing QoL like RD did......). giving you less money and/or making things cost more, requiring more support points for supports, changing the items you can get from villages, drops and shops - make non-combat decisions count more.

I am not a fan of depriving the player of resources on higher difficulties unless they break the game. Substitution is more acceptable, like how FE12 Lunatic takes away Warp, Silence and the Silver Card but replaces them with Fortify, Recover and a Vulnerary. Or how FE7 HHM trades Hector's Vulnerary for a Hand Axe and Marcus's steels for an Iron Sword and Silver Lance. But not downgrading other early joining characters' inventories, or your deployment counts.

10 hours ago, X-Naut said:

I am not a fan of depriving the player of resources on higher difficulties unless they break the game. Substitution is more acceptable, like how FE12 Lunatic takes away Warp, Silence and the Silver Card but replaces them with Fortify, Recover and a Vulnerary. Or how FE7 HHM trades Hector's Vulnerary for a Hand Axe and Marcus's steels for an Iron Sword and Silver Lance. But not downgrading other early joining characters' inventories, or your deployment counts.

My issue with taking away all warping completely in New Mystery is that you don:t get to play around with Tiki:s alternate dragon stones :( Really should have put a cracked wall s you could still get into that area or something.

In retrospect, getting married to the Hoshidan Royals is not that bad. Corrin and them only spent little time together in childhood, lived apart for most of their lives, and when they met again, as adults, they were practically strangers. They are basically immune to the Westermack effect. The Nohrian royals on the other hand...

I know that the fact that they are not his blood brothers may seem like a cop out, but the script makes it clear that Corrin's biggest reason for choosing Hoshido is that they doesn't want to help Garon.

On 1/25/2021 at 8:18 AM, Samz707 said:

-1000G: Infernal

that would be a bruh moment. visiting a village in hope of a little reward for defending them only to get extorted.. XD

On 1/25/2021 at 8:18 AM, Samz707 said:

Obviously the game should be transparent with these but it could work I think.

100% this. games with multiple difficulty level should state what major change they implement or what makes them different. not just "its difficult for beginner" or "for veteran" or "its for masochist people" etc etc

On 1/25/2021 at 8:44 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

How about, after a certain turn count, all Arena enemies will show up with Killer weapons. For a given map, say turn 18 on Hard mode, or 12 on Maddening. The Arenamaster's text could change at this point, to warn the player.

please no. what if the moment enemies start showing up with killer weapon is just after you switch which character you want to train in arena. that would be too punishing

2 hours ago, Maof06 said:

In retrospect, getting married to the Hoshidan Royals is not that bad. Corrin and them only spent little time together in childhood, lived apart for most of their lives, and when they met again, as adults, they were practically strangers. They are basically immune to the Westermack effect. The Nohrian royals on the other hand...

I know that the fact that they are not his blood brothers may seem like a cop out, but the script makes it clear that Corrin's biggest reason for choosing Hoshido is that they doesn't want to help Garon.

Wouldn:t be a problem if the script didn:t insist on actually calling and treating Corrin like a brother/sister to all of them. The fact that theyre not related never has any influence or impact on the characters or story. Its just mentioned to be a thing that exists so its "technically not incest". Or in other words, yes, youre right Corrin is a stranger unrelated to the Hoshidon royal family, but its not like the games ever actually treat the situation like that.

On 1/25/2021 at 12:25 PM, GodSejeong97 said:

Other than the obvious "3H is worse than Revelation",

Wait what? That’s a new one for me. Really? I’d say that the story in 3H is make better then Fates, especially Revelations.

17 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Wait what? That’s a new one for me. Really? I’d say that the story in 3H is make better then Fates, especially Revelations.

Story isn't everything in a Fire Emblem game and gameplay wise I find Revelation to be better than 3H because at least it provides more challenge.

4 minutes ago, GodSejeong97 said:

Story isn't everything in a Fire Emblem game and gameplay wise I find Revelation to be better than 3H because at least it provides more challenge.

I found Revelations’ gameplay boring because the enemies lacked personality and at least for me there was no major story beats that help make me want to play through the maps to see what will happen next.

8 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I found Revelations’ gameplay boring because the enemies lacked personality and at least for me there was no major story beats that help make me want to play through the maps to see what will happen next.

Each to their own I guess, hence the unpopular opinion. Also, lacking personality isn't gameplay, but writing.

Edited by GodSejeong97

14 hours ago, Jotari said:

Wouldn:t be a problem if the script didn:t insist on actually calling and treating Corrin like a brother/sister to all of them. The fact that theyre not related never has any influence or impact on the characters or story. Its just mentioned to be a thing that exists so its "technically not incest". Or in other words, yes, youre right Corrin is a stranger unrelated to the Hoshidon royal family, but its not like the games ever actually treat the situation like that.

Which is a shame cause if they had actually explored that idea of Corrin not actually being related to the Hoshidian that could’ve made Fates’s story all the better. Cause one issue I have with Fates’s story is how underdeveloped the Hoshidian royals actually are bar Takumi and Hinoka to a lesser extent. What disappoints me is the fact that Ryouma just doesn’t really do anything in any of the three routes. Xander has great moments in both birthright and conquest that really delve into and explore the flaws of his character. Ryoma though? I got nothing. And for someone meant to be Xander’s foil that’s a little disappointing.

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Which is a shame cause if they had actually explored that idea of Corrin not actually being related to the Hoshidian that could’ve made Fates’s story all the better. Cause one issue I have with Fates’s story is how underdeveloped the Hoshidian royals actually are bar Takumi and Hinoka to a lesser extent. What disappoints me is the fact that Ryouma just doesn’t really do anything in any of the three routes. Xander has great moments in both birthright and conquest that really delve into and explore the flaws of his character. Ryoma though? I got nothing. And for someone meant to be Xander’s foil that’s a little disappointing.

Ironically enough I think out of all the royals, Takumi by far needs the most development. In a way he is the most essential to the plot but they just wave it off as “oh yeah he’s been feeling inferior to all his siblings and the curse is playing off those feelings” and that’s it. Like what? Why didn’t we hear about that to begin with!? We hear that with Leo, not Takumi! His whole curse thing could have worked so much better if we knew anything past the absolute bare minimum about him.

2 hours ago, GodSejeong97 said:

There's a difference between challenge and tedium. Revelation is tedious. 

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Ironically enough I think out of all the royals, Takumi by far needs the most development. In a way he is the most essential to the plot but they just wave it off as “oh yeah he’s been feeling inferior to all his siblings and the curse is playing off those feelings” and that’s it. Like what? Why didn’t we hear about that to begin with!? We hear that with Leo, not Takumi! His whole curse thing could have worked so much better if we knew anything past the absolute bare minimum about him.

1. That’s what supports are for

2. You need to pay a little more attention to characterization. It’s pretty obvious from the start he has some kind of inferiority complex. It’s not directly told within the story itself early but if you pay enough attention to how he acts it’s fairly obvious. 

The problem with Ryoma is that he has none of that. Yeah you could argue that’s what supports are for but they never utilize what you find in supports as anything to help create a more complex character in the story itself like with Takumi or Xander. The only time this really happens is like chapter 16 of revelation and even then it’s minimal.

8 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

1. That’s what supports are for

You shouldn’t need supports for a fairly major plot point to make sense (I mean it’s not like we needed justification for all those filler chapters that go “oh no!!!! However did he know we were here!?!?!?1?1?!?1?” But still).

8 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

2. You need to pay a little more attention to characterization. It’s pretty obvious from the start he has some kind of inferiority complex. It’s not directly told within the story itself early but if you pay enough attention to how he acts it’s fairly obvious.

All the story bothers to tell us is that he has trust issues. That’s really it, almost his entire screen time in the beginning is devoted to not trusting Corrin and from then on he’s either building his relationship with Zola (which teaches us nothing new) and one line of dialogue here or there when every sibling is chiming in.

The fact Alm and Marth never interacted even in a non-canon context is a big missed opportunity IMO, they're both rulers of kingdoms right next to each other and I'd like to see if say, Valentia started trading with Archanea to help with the famine or anything like that.

this is just going back to "fates has shitty writing that squandered potential at every single corner" lol. i actually think hinoka is the biggest wasted opportunity out of the 8 royals. she doesn't even have a basic defining personality trait. you know, the bare minimum?

4 hours ago, Axie said:

this is just going back to "fates has shitty writing that squandered potential at every single corner" lol. i actually think hinoka is the biggest wasted opportunity out of the 8 royals. she doesn't even have a basic defining personality trait. you know, the bare minimum?

Eh, I kind of feel like Corrin's "betrayal" of her in Conquest hits home the most as she's driven to save him. And overall she manages to walk a pretty fine line between vulnerable and tough. I reckon Sakura is probably the worst because all she has going for her is being dainty. Cute, but nothing much compelling there.

6 hours ago, Axie said:

As far as I'm aware, Hinoka was a very late development since and was just not in the early drafts, so that may explain her lack of anything really lol (I also heard that Kagero was originally the eldest Hoshidan sibling but idk). But I do agree, Hinoka is the biggest wasted potential of the siblings. She could be removed and honestly, I can't see how Fates could change (sans the few chapters where she's actually important, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not much)

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Eh, I kind of feel like Corrin's "betrayal" of her in Conquest hits home the most as she's driven to save him. And overall she manages to walk a pretty fine line between vulnerable and tough. I reckon Sakura is probably the worst because all she has going for her is being dainty. Cute, but nothing much compelling there.

they don't do much of anything with her vulnerability or toughness, though. i agree the potential was there in conquest, but her lines are all so... flat. her supports also don't go anywhere really. sakura at least is the heads to elise's tails, if that makes sense.

5 hours ago, Azz said:

As far as I'm aware, Hinoka was a very late development since and was just not in the early drafts, so that may explain her lack of anything really lol (I also heard that Kagero was originally the eldest Hoshidan sibling but idk).

this being the case explains why hinoka's script is so wooden (and why kagero gets captured in all three games...?).

23 hours ago, Samz707 said:

The fact Alm and Marth never interacted even in a non-canon context is a big missed opportunity IMO, they're both rulers of kingdoms right next to each other and I'd like to see if say, Valentia started trading with Archanea to help with the famine or anything like that.

that would be cool side story. the fact that pegasus sister fought alongside Alm/Celica army through that whole conflict, they must have established some connection with the new ruler of valentia before they went back. they could become the bridge in friendly talk between the two hero king