Fire Emblem Anime Conffirmed in Heroes?

Ishiken

The new Lucina in Fire Emblem Heroes holds a lance, this weapon contains ancient text like the Falchion in Awakening or the Silver Sword from Echoes, so i decided to translate and it says "anime project success"

are we getting another Fire Emblem anime soon?

Ancient Text Lucina.PNG

Uh, wow. I suppose since it's on Lucina's weapon we can assume an Awakening anime, but I'm betting they'll want to avoid pairing anyone off (plus if you include the children, the cast is too huge for a typical 2-cour anime). In that case an Archanea anime might be better since, if I recall correctly, pairings are already set and the cast is more manageable. The same goes for Echoes, but I don't think they'd invest in an anime for a gaiden game even if it did have a recent remake.

Honestly though I think it's most likely not going to be based off of any game's plot in particular, but more of an original story set in Ylisse or something that alludes to Awakening's events/characters but takes place after (or possibly even before).

Fire Emblem is anime, and has always been anime. Heroes is an entry in an anime series and has been a success, thus anime project success.

Seriously though, I’d love a Fire Emblem anime. I’d prefer them to base it on the games rather to do an original story.

I wonder if this would mean it's an anime based on Awakening. It'd plunge the fandom into a state of chaos and salt of unrivaled proportions. 

So, are there any video game anime adaptations that are really good? Like, what's the track record here?

8 minutes ago, Thane said:

So, are there any video game anime adaptations that are really good? Like, what's the track record here?

I haven't encountered one that I thought was dreadful. But I'm also apparently famous for being accepting of everything. I even thought the Original Fire Emblem OVA was quaint behind its flaws.

I don't mind them choosing Awakening for this sort of project. Because I mind a lot more what they could do to games that I care about in order to enhance their appeal. I don't need pervy shots of Lyn during an action scene. Yes, she's probably not wearing undergarments or a bra under that robe. I don't need that shoved into my face. And people forget some of the tropes present in past games. Myrrh asked Ephraim if she could call him big brother. Fa refers to herself in the third person. Lethe was tsun tsun AND a catgirl.

6 hours ago, Thane said:

I wonder if this would mean it's an anime based on Awakening. It'd plunge the fandom into a state of chaos and salt of unrivaled proportions. 

Anime projects based on visual novels tend to be pretty good from what I hear(Steins;Gate, Fate/Stay and it's sequels, etc.). The Persona animes are also solid. 

But aside from Persona, video game based anime that aren't VNs basically have nothing. Almost all of them are trash. Pokemon is only successful because of how massive that franchise is. I guess Digimon would technically qualify, but even that series has its ups and downs. 

Well if we do, I think the best option is going to be Awakening to start with. We can always expand out to other series later if it does well. 

The nice thing with Awakening is it's story is pretty good (though with a good bit of flaws), and it's story flew by its arcs fast enough that an anime could easily expand on each arc and go into a little more detail of the events. That and it's got a good cast for it. And more Matt Mercer, which is never a bad thing.

I think it could work well. Let's just hope they adapt it well if this happens. There have been more than enough bad video game adaptations, whether it be in Hollywood or Japan, to have some caution with this.

Edited by Tolvir

Didn't see that coming... wonder what studio will be tapped to handle it if it is true. My guess is either a straight Awakening adaptation or a sequel. First more likely than the second.

8 hours ago, Thane said:

It really just depends on the game that is being adapted tbh. Some are good, like the Tales of Zestiria anime. Others are pretty meh, like the Ace Attorney anime (though i did enjoy it, since i suck at the Ace Attorney games, so the anime was my only way to experience the series and have fun).

In the case of Fire Emblem, the series has plenty of manga, which are pretty decent. Most anime are adapted from manga and light novels, so in a way, a potential Fire Emblem anime already has half of it's work done. It just needs a good studio to animate it like ufotable (they did Tales of Zestiria the X) or David Production (they did JoJo). And a good voice cast too, obviously.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It really just depends on the game that is being adapted tbh. Some are good, like the Tales of Zestiria anime.

I guess it's all a matter of opinion. When people talk about "good anime", I'm usually not seeing it. People praise Dragon Ball and Code Geass and it physically hurts me to watch that.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Others are pretty meh, like the Ace Attorney anime (though i did enjoy it, since i suck at the Ace Attorney games, so the anime was my only way to experience the series and have fun).

Then you're doing yourself a major disservice; those games are amazing. Well, until Yamazaki got his claws on the series. The guy couldn't write a subtle plotline to save his life.

1 minute ago, Lautsuu said:

What if, they pull a Pokemon Generations and go into more detail in certain scenes? Just several 5 minute episodes would be good.

I've seen this suggestion before, and I think it would be the best way to go. Well, of course, that depends if it's targeted for people familiar with the story or not - if it's for broad appeal, then showing something like Reyson fleeing to Phoenicis with his sickly father won't be as impactful.

3 minutes ago, Thane said:

I've seen this suggestion before, and I think it would be the best way to go. Well, of course, that depends if it's targeted for people familiar with the story or not - if it's for broad appeal, then showing something like Reyson fleeing to Phoenicis with his sickly father won't be as impactful.

Which is unfortunate because I've always been curious as to how Reyson and his father arrived at Phoenicis. Did Tibarn find them? Did the Herons fly? Tell me, IS!

I feel like it could be targeted towards Fire Emblem fans, and once word of mouth gets around, other people will be more interested. Kinda like Heroes, I guess.

6 minutes ago, Thane said:

I'd want a scene of good daily life between Emperor Arvis and his wife and kids- before Julius was handed Loptyr. Also, an Aida soliloquy- we need insight as to what she thinks of Arvis and her son begot by him. And of course, we need Behalla, but making that work without selecting pairings would be tricky though (at least FE4 has clearly suggest pairings like LewynxErinys and AyraxChulainn/Lex). Though they could always pull a Memory Prism thing for the eventual FE4 remake.

6 hours ago, Tolvir said:

Well if we do, I think the best option is going to be Awakening to start with. We can always expand out to other series later if it does well. 

The nice thing with Awakening is it's story is pretty good (though with a good bit of flaws), and it's story flew by its arcs fast enough that an anime could easily expand on each arc and go into a little more detail of the events. That and it's got a good cast for it. And more Matt Mercer, which is never a bad thing.

I think it could work well. Let's just hope they adapt it well if this happens. There have been more than enough bad video game adaptations, whether it be in Hollywood or Japan, to have some caution with this.

Awakening's story relies so much cribbing references to past Res, doing many of them, even without this and the many continuity errors, its story is a complete and utter mess.

Why do the Grimleal do what they do, because the story needs a villain and the writers were in a hurry.

17 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Awakening's story relies so much cribbing references to past Res, doing many of them, even without this and the many continuity errors, its story is a complete and utter mess.

Why do the Grimleal do what they do, because the story needs a villain and the writers were in a hurry.

Which is where an anime can actually benifit. It can explain and fix a lot of that. Everyone thinks that the anime needs to be on one of the stories that has mostly no large issues, i.e. PoR or something like that. I think the worst stories would make great anime due to the fact that the anime can take the opportunity to fix what was wrong, like Fates. Just because the story it is based on has flaws doesn't mean the anime has to have them too.

As far as Awakening goes, getting rid of the fact that it was mostly meant as a final celebration of the franchise and treating it as its own story could really benifit it. 

Edited by Tolvir

I'll believe it when we get an official announcement. Until then, I'm taking this with a grain of salt. Awakening is probably the best for an anime adaptation, since it relies more on modern anime tropes than the older games which tended to be more of their times, but I still doubt it'll be anything to write home about in the end.

15 hours ago, Thane said:

Rarely, if ever. Of the ones I've seen (admittedly quite a few of which are bad otome game adaptations), most of them have been awful, with a few mediocre and nothing I'd call good. Even the ones that weren't terrible felt pretty pointless, since 9 times out of ten they didn't add anything to the story or characters that wasn't already in the game, and in some cases removed vital pieces of information in adaptation. In one particularly infamous case (Devil Survivor 2), they completely tossed all of the themes and characterization in the game out the window in favor of making a shallow Evangelion rip-off.

50 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Which is where an anime can actually benifit. It can explain and fix a lot of that. Everyone thinks that the anime needs to be on one of the stories that has mostly no large issues, i.e. PoR or something like that. I think the worst stories would make great anime due to the fact that the anime can take the opportunity to fix what was wrong, like Fates. Just because the story it is based on has flaws doesn't mean the anime has to have them too.

I mean, it could fix all those things...but speaking from experience, it probably won't.

44 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

I'll believe it when we get an official announcement. Until then, I'm taking this with a grain of salt. Awakening is probably the best for an anime adaptation, since it relies more on modern anime tropes than the older games which tended to be more of their times, but I still doubt it'll be anything to write home about in the end.

Rarely, if ever. Of the ones I've seen (admittedly quite a few of which are bad otome game adaptations), most of them have been awful, with a few mediocre and nothing I'd call good. Even the ones that weren't terrible felt pretty pointless, since 9 times out of ten they didn't add anything to the story or characters that wasn't already in the game, and in some cases removed vital pieces of information in adaptation. In one particularly infamous case (Devil Survivor 2), they completely tossed all of the themes and characterization in the game out the window in favor of making a shallow Evangelion rip-off.

I mean, it could fix all those things...but speaking from experience, it probably won't.

There is a possiblity though, and if its not IS writing it there is a bit of hope.

2 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

There is a possiblity though, and if its not IS writing it there is a bit of hope.

Let's be real here. A lot of the reasons IS has been struggling to write passable stories recently is because of their new-ish habit of imitating anime-style writing.

Handing off the writing to another writer in the anime industry isn't going to fix anything.

Edited by Slumber

55 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Handing off the writing to another writer in the anime industry isn't going to fix anything.

Well, obviously it depends on who they hand off the writing to, but i think the bigger issue is that, no matter who they hand it off to, IS is gonna change the writing anyway. Wasn't what happened with Fates was, IS handed off the writing to a respected manga author, but then later, IS changed what the manga author wrote for them? I know stories change every time during the development but i remember hearing that IS changed the original story too much.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well, obviously it depends on who they hand off the writing to, but i think the bigger issue is that, no matter who they hand it off to, IS is gonna change the writing anyway. Wasn't what happened with Fates was, IS handed off the writing to a respected manga author, but then later, IS changed what the manga author wrote for them? I know stories change every time during the development but i remember hearing that IS changed the original story too much.

This is true, but I will add, as well regarded as Shin Kibayashi is, the series he was known for were either detective/mystery series or shounen battle manga(GetBackers, one of his longest running, probably most well known series, was basically both). Not really great crossovers with Fire Emblem.

I'm not leaving it off the table that they could get a good writer, but they'd probably have to hand-pick one like they did with Kibayashi, and even then it's not a guarantee for a good adaptation. Nintendo's got deep pockets, though. I'm sure they'll have a lot of writers to pick from.

Edited by Slumber