Update discussion thread

integrity already said the upgrades are for backend and admin stuff. and security. jyo actually already told us what the previous upgrade did and why he needed to upgrade the forums. i may not have liked what it did (i don't really care how the layout looked before) but at least it's fixed now (?????)

To the op: no, you don't get any decision in when we update. We don't get any decision in it either. I already intentionally delay larger ones that affect the user interface, because it always fucks things up. As you can see, it did this time too. But these updates are 100% necessary because we need to keep the site secure and running smoothly. Those updates always have security patches and backend improvements that we need. They also tend to have bug fixes for some of the issues you guys complain about. So while it sucks that Invision Power only releases patches in the form of major breaking changes, that's how they roll, and it'll never change.

We could use a different forum software, but to be quite honest, there aren't many good ones. Given how much trouble they give us at times, I hate to admit it, but this software does pretty much everything we need it to do and with the newer IPS4, adding special shit is far easier.

2 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

I'm miss the way it looked back in 2016

but after that Korean spam from Kim Jong Un I think we really needed that update

That's actually the primary reason I updated, no joke lol

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

All i gotta say is, i don't like how big the Discord box thing is now. Other than that, the update caught me off guard but whatever.

I'm trying to figure out a way to for that thing to not suck. IPB decided, in their ever infinite wisdom, that "advertisements" in the sidebar should be shown on ALL pages, not just pages where the sidebar has at least 1 widget added to it. The end result, since we used the advertisement placing feature to add the discord box, was that the stupid thing appeared on topics too and stretched the page.

I put it where it is now as an intermediate step, since at least it will resize properly with the pages and not show up on topics where it is. Even if it's wide as fuck for no reason.

1 hour ago, Integrity said:

i don't actually see a discord box anymore, is it still on the front page?

Are you blocking iframes?

1 minute ago, Integrity said:

no but i am using firefox like 45 so the problem is almost definitely my end

Yeah, that's probably it. It shows up for me on the latest version of chrome. Well, it's not an important widget anyhow, so no big deal.

9 hours ago, Jyosua said:

To the op: no, you don't get any decision in when we update. We don't get any decision in it either. I already intentionally delay larger ones that affect the user interface, because it always fucks things up. As you can see, it did this time too. But these updates are 100% necessary because we need to keep the site secure and running smoothly. Those updates always have security patches and backend improvements that we need. They also tend to have bug fixes for some of the issues you guys complain about. So while it sucks that Invision Power only releases patches in the form of major breaking changes, that's how they roll, and it'll never change.

We could use a different forum software, but to be quite honest, there aren't many good ones. Given how much trouble they give us at times, I hate to admit it, but this software does pretty much everything we need it to do and with the newer IPS4, adding special shit is far easier.

Does it ever get tiresome having to explain this after every update?

I'm glad the Discord box is gone from the side, since I can now immediately glance at the New Topics thing and figure out whether or not someone accidentally double-posted their topic (time is of the utmost essence for this).  I can handle scrolling down a bit further to get to the topics.