Jump to content
Ottservia

Fire emblem ships you don't understand?

Recommended Posts

So me it's TakumixCamilla. Takumi is too sensitive for a woman like Camilla. While Camilla need a strong, confident person to be with. For some reason, this pairing is more popular in Japan than in the rest of the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

Jaffar / Nino. Uuuh, you DO realize she's only 13, right...?

Nino is actually confirmed to be 14 in her Support conversation with Rebecca.. Jaffar, as far as i'm aware, has no confirmed age but i'd place him no older than 18. So Jaffar x Nino would be a teen romance (which is what most FE ships are), so it's not as bad. If Jaffar was like, 30, then i'd have issues.

 

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

Hector / Lyn. These two fit each other like hot lava and tin foil paper.

While i wouldn't exactly say that, i do agree that Hector x Lyn....isn't that great. A lot of people ship them because they have a unique conversation in Hector's Tale but here's my hot take on that: Hector's Tale is non-canon. I myself haven't played it because it's a waste of time but while Hector's Tale does show us new lore on Nergal, it doesn't mean that Hector's Tale is canon. It's like Act 6 in SoV. The lore behind Grima's creation is canon but Alm traveling to Archanea and fighting Grima isn't.

I've seen other people mentioning this and i find myself agreeing with it but Lyn doesn't seem like the type of person that cares that much about nobility. She stays in Caelin for a while because of her grandfather but it's obvious she prefers the plains of Sacae. Which is why Rath x Lyn makes way more sense. It's also an excuse for me to ship Hector and Florina.

 

57 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

It doesn't matter if marriages like that were done in real medieval times, we still don't like it and there's a reason it's not done anymore. Not to mention that FE is more or less medieval based with some modern values/morals/other stuff mixed in anyway.

Ehhh. See, the thing is, while i get where your coming from, saying "it doesn't matter if it was done in real medieval times" when talking about a series that takes it's inspiration from medieval times just doesn't feel right with me. Yes, FE has modern values and whatnot but that's because FE would probably be very different and not as fun if it was 100% historically accurate. I'm not saying you have to agree with it but it's important to know that when Fire Emblem does things like this, it's not just pulling it out of it's ass. The same goes for a lot of medieval-inspired stories, not just Fire Emblem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BoiJones said:

Isn't Jaffar X Nino also canon? I mean Jaffar's feelings for her did pretty much cause FE 6...

Not exactly. It probably is but Nino's ending with Erk is mostly the same. The difference is that in that one, Nino goes missing first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Not exactly. It probably is but Nino's ending with Erk is mostly the same. The difference is that in that one, Nino goes missing first.

I see, I always assumed it was... My bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:
  • Geoffrey / Elincia. They think of each other as siblings in PoR and nothing points to their relationship having evolved beyond that in RD. So what gives?

Have you read Geoffrey's supports in PoR? Geoffrey clearly has feelings for Elincia are far more than that of a brother towards a sister in them. Heck, Calill even wants Geoffrey and Elincia to hook up due to said feelings.

Quote
  • Hector / Lyn. These two fit each other like hot lava and tin foil paper. Which is to say not at all.

Way to confuse Hector/Lyn with Hector/Florina. Which isn't even romantic to begin with, nor is there anything that leads into romance. But yet, the two have a paired ending with each other. Not to mention, their personalities clash, and there's a highly possible age difference between them. And it's also pretty terrible in gameplay, being Hector's 3rd slowest support option.

Quote
  • Constantlybickering does not constitute a good romance, writers.

It's a good thing that Hector and Lyn's relationship isn't 100% bickering, then. Especially since Hector does confess to her, and Lyn does decide to comfort him as he's enduring the pain from losing his brother.

Edited by Just call me AL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

Hector/Florina

8 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

highly possible age difference between them.

What? Hector's 17. Florina is at least 15. That's a two year difference at the very least.

I will agree that Hector x Florina isn't that great but Hector's other two options aren't that great either. A lot of the Hector x Lyn stuff happens exclusively in Waste of Time Mode Hector's Tale and I don't see Hector being with Farina at all......also the fact that Farina is a Hector's Tale exclusive character. But even considering all the Hector's Tale stuff.....Hector x Lyn is like Ike x Elincia. Sure, it's a cute ship but if we look at Ike x Elincia, what would happen there is that one of two things would have to happen: Ike would have to become a noble.....which he doesn't want. OR, Elincia would have to abdicate the throne.....which she doesn't want to do. Similarly, Hector x Lyn would require one of two things to happen: Hector needs to abdicate the Ostian throne.....which he wouldn't want to do. OR, Lyn would have to abandon the plains......which she doesn't want to.

This isn't to stop anyone from shipping Hector x Lyn or anything. It's just why i don't understand it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Armagon said:

What? Hector's 17. Florina is at least 15. That's a two year difference at the very least.

Florina? 15? With how she looks and acts? There was even some discussion in another topic about that very subject.

Quote

I will agree that Hector x Florina isn't that great but Hector's other two options aren't that great either. A lot of the Hector x Lyn stuff happens exclusively in Waste of Time Mode Hector's Tale

A player could still catch on to Hector and Lyn being an implied couple even without Hector's Story, though. At the very least, Hector's confession to Lyn happens in Eliwood's Story as well as Hector's Story.

Quote

But even considering all the Hector's Tale stuff.....Hector x Lyn is like Ike x Elincia. Sure, it's a cute ship but if we look at Ike x Elincia, what would happen there is that one of two things would have to happen: Ike would have to become a noble.....which he doesn't want. OR, Elincia would have to abdicate the throne.....which she doesn't want to do. Similarly, Hector x Lyn would require one of two things to happen: Hector needs to abdicate the Ostian throne.....which he wouldn't want to do. OR, Lyn would have to abandon the plains......which she doesn't want to.

The problem with this statement is that not once does Lyn ever mention wanting to return to Sacae when paired off with either of Eliwood or Hector. And even if you don't pair Lyn with Hector, Hector's Story makes it a point to show that she can't stand the idea of someone close to her being left entirely without a family themselves. Such an idea is possibly less bearable to her than not seeing the place she was born in ever again.

And besides, ever thought of the possibility of Hector taking Lyn's attachment to Sacae into consideration? I mean, he is the type of guy who would want to make the woman of his dreams happy. Going on a honeymoon with Lyn to Sacae, and/or doing for Lyn what Eliwood does for his wife (just replace Ilia with Sacae) and creating a castle garden with the seeds from the flower(s) from said visit to Sacae, wouldn't be out left field for Hector.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

Florina? 15? With how she looks and acts? There was even some discussion in another topic about that very subject.

You forget, Fire Emblem is anime. Having a 15 year-old look and act like that not that farfetched.

12 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

A player could still catch on to Hector and Lyn being an implied couple even without Hector's Story, though.

I guess but it's nowhere nearly as implied as Eliwood x Ninian. 

13 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

And even if you don't pair Lyn with Hector, Hector's Story makes it a point to show that she can't stand the idea of someone close to her being left entirely without a family themselves

But there's that thing, it's Hector's Tale exclusive. And aside from all the lore bits in Hector's Tale (and Farina and Karla since they are indirectly mentioned in Eliwood's Tale), i don't consider anything that happens in Hector's Tale to be canon.

16 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

The problem with this statement is that not once does Lyn ever mention wanting to return to Sacae when paired off with either of Eliwood or Hector.

That doesn't mean that Lyn doesn't want to return to Sacae though. The ending of Lyn's Tale makes it very clear that she wants to return to Sacae and that she prefers Sacae over Lycia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You forget, Fire Emblem is anime. Having a 15 year-old look and act like that not that farfetched.

But Florina's also in training. If anything, she's 13 at the most.

Quote

I guess but it's nowhere nearly as implied as Eliwood x Ninian. 

How so, when considering the numerous scenes Hector and Lyn get? Especially the two scenes that require an A support that neither of their paired ending options even get?

Quote

But there's that thing, it's Hector's Tale exclusive. And aside from all the lore bits in Hector's Tale (and Farina and Karla since they are indirectly mentioned in Eliwood's Tale), i don't consider anything that happens in Hector's Tale to be canon.

Not even Karla's appearance? Which can be skippable even with Bartre meeting the requirements to recruit her? There's even one account where she doesn't appear because the player didn't visit the village where you get the Elysian Whip during the chapter where Farina appears.

Quote

That doesn't mean that Lyn doesn't want to return to Sacae though.

But it does mean that feelings about the relationships she forged can outweigh feelings of homesickness in Lyn's case.

Quote

The ending of Lyn's Tale makes it very clear that she wants to return to Sacae and that she prefers Sacae over Lycia.

It should be worth noting, though, that, to quote what another user on this board said about that, Lyn decided to go live with her grandfather with no hesitation whatsoever, even though she had never seen him before. And even though she and Eliwood were anything but close, she instantly agreed to help him, wanting to prevent Eliwood from losing his father like she did. Meaning that the entire game makes it clear that she places heavy stock in family and friendship. How Lyn would let that, and not feelings of homesickness, affect her ultimate decision towards the end of the game isn't really against her character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

But Florina's also in training. If anything, she's 13 at the most.

Oh i'm sorry, i didn't know that 15-year olds couldn't be in training.

8 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

Especially the two scenes that require an A support that neither of their paired ending options even get?

One of those scenes is Hector's Tale exclusive.

 

14 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

Not even Karla's appearance? Which can be skippable even with Bartre meeting the requirements to recruit her? There's even one account where she doesn't appear because the player didn't visit the village where you get the Elysian Whip during the chapter where Farina appears.

57 minutes ago, Armagon said:

(and Farina and Karla since they are indirectly mentioned in Eliwood's Tale),

 

21 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

It should be worth noting, though, that, to quote what another user on this board said about that, Lyn decided to go live with her grandfather with no hesitation whatsoever, even though she had never seen him before. And even though she and Eliwood were anything but close, she instantly agreed to help him, wanting to prevent Eliwood from losing his father like she did. Meaning that the entire game makes it clear that she places heavy stock in family and friendship. How Lyn would let that, and not feelings of homesickness, affect her ultimate decision towards the end of the game isn't really against her character.

That's a fair point but Lyn abandoning the plains would still be against her character. She heavily values friendship and family, yes, but she also values Sacae a lot. If given the choice, Lyn would prefer living on the plains than living in a castle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TheHeroQueen said:

I don't understand the Owain x Brady ship. And I don't understand Ephraim x Erika...Its gross and I don't know how anyone could ship it

Wait the Ephraim x Eirika one isn't an elaborate troll? People actually think that? I want to go back to pretending it's someone's sick joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Armagon said:

Nino is actually confirmed to be 14 in her Support conversation with Rebecca.. Jaffar, as far as i'm aware, has no confirmed age but i'd place him no older than 18. So Jaffar x Nino would be a teen romance (which is what most FE ships are), so it's not as bad. If Jaffar was like, 30, then i'd have issues.

While i wouldn't exactly say that, i do agree that Hector x Lyn....isn't that great. A lot of people ship them because they have a unique conversation in Hector's Tale but here's my hot take on that: Hector's Tale is non-canon. I myself haven't played it because it's a waste of time but while Hector's Tale does show us new lore on Nergal, it doesn't mean that Hector's Tale is canon. It's like Act 6 in SoV. The lore behind Grima's creation is canon but Alm traveling to Archanea and fighting Grima isn't.

I've seen other people mentioning this and i find myself agreeing with it but Lyn doesn't seem like the type of person that cares that much about nobility. She stays in Caelin for a while because of her grandfather but it's obvious she prefers the plains of Sacae. Which is why Rath x Lyn makes way more sense. It's also an excuse for me to ship Hector and Florina.

I don't know. Jaffar looks much older than her still, so it's still kind of squicky, to be honest.

Yeah, Lyn really isn't suited for life in a castle. She says as much herself.

12 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

Have you read Geoffrey's supports in PoR? Geoffrey clearly has feelings for Elincia are far more than that of a brother towards a sister in them. Heck, Calill even wants Geoffrey and Elincia to hook up due to said feelings.

Way to confuse Hector/Lyn with Hector/Florina. Which isn't even romantic to begin with, nor is there anything that leads into romance. But yet, the two have a paired ending with each other. Not to mention, their personalities clash, and there's a highly possible age difference between them. And it's also pretty terrible in gameplay, being Hector's 3rd slowest support option.

It's a good thing that Hector and Lyn's relationship isn't 100% bickering, then. Especially since Hector does confess to her, and Lyn does decide to comfort him as he's enduring the pain from losing his brother.

I have, but I still don't see how that pairing is supposed to work, as Elincia doesn't really return said feelings.

I'd agree that Hector / Florina is bad as well, now that you mention it. I legit forgot Florina even was one of Hector's romance options. That's how bad it is.

While true, I still don't really see the chemistry between these two.

20 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

Wait the Ephraim x Eirika one isn't an elaborate troll? People actually think that? I want to go back to pretending it's someone's sick joke.

You and me both, buddy.

Edited by DragonFlames

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Jaffar looks much older than her still, so it's still kind of squicky, to be honest.

That's just a case of anime age tbh. Jaffar's official art makes him look like an edgy teen. Which is what he is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Oh i'm sorry, i didn't know that 15-year olds couldn't be in training.

You forget that Fire Emblem is Medieval-esque. And that the age to start one's career is below the age of 15 during the Medieval era.

Quote

One of those scenes is Hector's Tale exclusive.

Your point being?

Quote

That's a fair point but Lyn abandoning the plains would still be against her character. She heavily values friendship and family, yes, but she also values Sacae a lot. If given the choice, Lyn would prefer living on the plains than living in a castle.

And yet she decides to live alongside Hector or Eliwood if she ends up with one of them. Honestly. Imagining that she would choose to do so isn't that hard. After all she's literally brought to tears upon hearing that Uther died. What reason would she even have to let a feeling of homesickness outweigh the maternal nature of wanting to comfort the one who's the most heavily affected by Uther's death? Besides, there are characters in FE7 itself that would like to see Lyn and Hector hook up with each other.

46 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Yeah, Lyn really isn't suited for life in a castle. She says as much herself.

Only in a support she has with Eliwood. And even that doesn't affect the fact that he's someone she can end up with.

Quote

I have, but I still don't see how that pairing is supposed to work, as Elincia doesn't really return said feelings.

Here's some of what Elincia says to Geoffrey in her A support with him.

Quote

Elincia: I know you think I should stay at camp and rest on silken pillows without suiting up for battle. But… There’s no way I could stand… Stand seeing someone so dear to me die just beyond my grasp. So…now you know why I asked this of you.

Elincia: I’m sure I’ll keep causing you troubles…but please…never leave my side, Geoffrey.

I honestly don't see how these in any way mean that Elincia doesn't return Geoffrey's feelings towards her.

Quote

I'd agree that Hector / Florina is bad as well, now that you mention it. I legit forgot Florina even was one of Hector's romance options. That's how bad it is.

I personally find it hard to forget about due to how vocal some people are about it.

Quote

While true, I still don't really see the chemistry between these two.

If the fact that Hector says "I can't smack a woman I've lost my heart to" to Lyn after the latter asks him to hit her for the way she acted towards him when they first met each other doesn't do it for you, Heroes might provide some basis for chemistry due to how alike their Valentine's incarnations think. Said incarnations kinda made Hector and Lyn remind me of Vegeta and Bulma to some extent in that regard.

Edited by Just call me AL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mad-manakete said:

Wait the Ephraim x Eirika one isn't an elaborate troll? People actually think that? I want to go back to pretending it's someone's sick joke.

Yeah I know people who ship it for real. Its disgusting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To the whole Jaffar and Nino debate: He's 17/18. 

Also why is Corrin/Anyone a thing? No one deserves trash like that. Same with Tharja (I'm sorry for Gregor and Noire)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

You forget that Fire Emblem is Medieval-esque. And that the age to start one's career is below the age of 15 during the Medieval era.

That is true. However, that still doesn't mean that Florina has to be no older than 13 if she's still in training. It's possible she started her training when she's 13 and her training has taken her two years, which is possible. Joining a mercenary band is still part of the training and i doubt it happens right away. Also, Erk is 15 and yet, he's still training under Pent, further proving my point that Florina being in training doesn't invalidate the theory that she is 15.

3 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

Your point being?

That the second scene isn't canon in my eyes.

3 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

After all she's literally brought to tears upon hearing that Uther died. What reason would she even have to let a feeling of homesickness outweigh the maternal nature of wanting to comfort the one who's the most heavily affected by Uther's death?

Ah, yes, another Hector's Tale exclusive scene. I've already said that i don't consider Hector's Tale to be canon. If Lyn crying over Uther's death happened in Eliwood's Tale as well, i wouldn't be having this argument.

3 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

Besides, there are characters in FE7 itself that would like to see Lyn and Hector hook up with each other.

That means absolutely nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

I honestly don't see how these in any way mean that Elincia doesn't return Geoffrey's feelings towards her.

She also tells Lucia not to leave her side (I think this is in RD tho). Does that mean she also loves her romantically? She wouldn't have two romantic partners. Besides, if that was Elincia returning her feelings, why didn't she just marry Geoffrey after PoR instead of after RD? They had plenty of time. Besides, lines like those could be interpreted in a number of ways and there's still the fact that she treats him very formally in RD and doesn't seem to return his feelings at all there.

Edited by Anacybele

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Merric / Elice or Merric / Linde and Est / Abel for ships that come out of nowhere with no previous build-up.

I should point out that Merric is established to be a noble of Altea, and as a result was good friends with Marth and Elice (the Atlean prince and princess) during their childhood. FE1/3 Book 1/11 established in-game during Merric's recruitment that he and Marth were good friends before Merric left to study magic. It's not too much of a stretch to assume that Merric would be well acquainted with Elice if Merric was good friends with Marth. FE11 also established in-game through Merric and Elice's conversation that the two of them were good childhood friends and that Elice would have to nurse Merric to health quite often. So technically, the Merric x Elice pairing didn't come out of nowhere. I can understand if you wanted the game to reference Merric & Elice's relationship more before recruiting Elice, though (eg: have Merric ask Marth about Elice and having Merric be worried about her during Merric's recruitment conversation).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ship RobinxLucina but even then I have some problems with it that I don't like to think about, it's not the usual "she is your best friend daughter", because she really isn't and he meets her when she is around his age. The problem is that if I remember correctly Morgan is implied to come from the future past DLC, if she were to be Lucina's daughter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep seeing Ophelia/Soleil. The latter sexually harasses the former to the point of tears, and I don't think an apology convinces Ophelia to start any kind of relationship, especially not a happy one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Thane said:

I keep seeing Ophelia/Soleil. The latter sexually harasses the former to the point of tears, and I don't think an apology convinces Ophelia to start any kind of relationship, especially not a happy one. 

This so much. I really hate this ship.

Another I've seen a lot is Leon/Valbar which I really dislike also since it in a way makes Leon's character worse since his whole arc with Valbar is accepting his love will remain unrequited and accepting that and choosing to help Valbar heal from the loss of his family. It just aggravates me especially when Leon/Kamui is better IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i really don't care a whole lot anymore but i had trouble understanding soren/mia for awhile (i kinda...get it now i guess but i really do not care)

also past me used to like orochi/takumi a lot but now i don't get why the fuck i liked it so much. i think it's cause they were both my favorites? but no i don't get that ship anymore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

I honestly don't see how these in any way mean that Elincia doesn't return Geoffrey's feelings towards her.

"Never leave my side" is such a throwaway line these days that it can be interpreted in any way. Mist asks this of Ike, too, and last I checked, they're siblings, so I don't see how such a line points to any romantic direction on its own.
Especially since Geoffrey is basically what Frederick is to Chrom or Jagen is to Marth in terms of position, only with the "added" benefit of them being childhood friends and foster family, in which case there's also Finn / Leif, Titania / Ike and Gunter / Corrin and neither of those are romantic in any way (unless you decide to marry Gunter on Conquest, that is).

7 hours ago, Anacybele said:

She also tells Lucia not to leave her side (I think this is in RD tho). Does that mean she also loves her romantically? She wouldn't have two romantic partners. Besides, if that was Elincia returning her feelings, why didn't she just marry Geoffrey after PoR instead of after RD? They had plenty of time. Besides, lines like those could be interpreted in a number of ways and there's still the fact that she treats him very formally in RD and doesn't seem to return his feelings at all there.

And this is very true, as well.

6 hours ago, Randoman said:

I should point out that Merric is established to be a noble of Altea, and as a result was good friends with Marth and Elice (the Atlean prince and princess) during their childhood. FE1/3 Book 1/11 established in-game during Merric's recruitment that he and Marth were good friends before Merric left to study magic. It's not too much of a stretch to assume that Merric would be well acquainted with Elice if Merric was good friends with Marth. FE11 also established in-game through Merric and Elice's conversation that the two of them were good childhood friends and that Elice would have to nurse Merric to health quite often. So technically, the Merric x Elice pairing didn't come out of nowhere. I can understand if you wanted the game to reference Merric & Elice's relationship more before recruiting Elice, though (eg: have Merric ask Marth about Elice and having Merric be worried about her during Merric's recruitment conversation).

And this is what I meant when I said the pairing has had little to no build up.
Maybe it's just me, but being childhood friends and / or nursing someone back to health doesn't automatically imply romance. It's a good way to justify romance, yes, but you still need some kind of build up or reference to it, else you'll just confuse people.

4 hours ago, Thane said:

I keep seeing Ophelia/Soleil. The latter sexually harasses the former to the point of tears, and I don't think an apology convinces Ophelia to start any kind of relationship, especially not a happy one. 

Definitely agree on this one. Soleil is one of two characters I like even less than Azura and her treatment of Ophelia is a big reason why.
It doesn't really help that Ophelia is one of my favourite characters in Fates.

Edited by DragonFlames

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...