Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guh...if that is the final base roster then

Spoiler

...I'm going to need to console so many people about the lack of our Bandana Buddy

So many twists and turns in this particular leak too, everybody seems to be eating it up. I hope the next revelation is that this guy everybody's googling hasn't been seen for years since his trip to Nova Scotia where he...disappeared. :O

I'm just saying that this leak better be confirmed, de-confirmed, or turned into a murder mystery within seven days from now. Otherwise nobody's going to be happy.

Edited by Glennstavos

48 minutes ago, Etheus said:

No, but seriously. If Dixie isn't base roster, she's gonna be DLC. She's too obvious and too easy a character to include in some fashion for her to just be left out. 

Yeah, that's why it confuses me why Sakurai hasn't added her yet. Especially since he'd originally planned it in Brawl.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Oh my god you're right! Shadow is Shadow Dragon.

The irony is, I’ve never played VI. I should rectify that.

Ditto was attacked in the Direct, right? I wonder if any other non-playable Pokemon can have the same thing happen to them.

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I hope it's fake. Because it lacks Dixie Kong.

About that.

Naturally, take this with a grain of salt. But if this "Grinch leak" as it's being called turns out to be true, then this other one is worth taking a look at.

Spoiler

IC95XqA.jpg

People are calling it the "Chad Ganondorf" leak. It was posted about a month ago, and as you can see, it matches up with the Grinch leak, but adds a few other tidbits in the form of supposedly cut characters: Ray 01, Monster Hunter, and Dixie Kong.

While I'm unsure on Ray 01's chances and I don't think a playable Monster Hunter will happen at all, if this is true, Dixie is probably a lock for DLC. Regardless, once K. Rool was revealed without Dixie and with us knowing there would be fewer newcomers this time around I pretty much lost all hope of Dixie being in the base game, and if this leak is fake I still don't think Dixie will make the base roster.

3 minutes ago, Florete said:

About that.

Naturally, take this with a grain of salt. But if this "Grinch leak" as it's being called turns out to be true, then this other one is worth taking a look at.

Hide contents

IC95XqA.jpg

People are calling it the "Chad Ganondorf" leak. It was posted about a month ago, and as you can see, it matches up with the Grinch leak, but adds a few other tidbits in the form of supposedly cut characters: Ray 01, Monster Hunter, and Dixie Kong.

While I'm unsure on Ray 01's chances and I don't think a playable Monster Hunter will happen at all, if this is true, Dixie is probably a lock for DLC. Regardless, once K. Rool was revealed without Dixie and with us knowing there would be fewer newcomers this time around I pretty much lost all hope of Dixie being in the base game, and if this leak is fake I still don't think Dixie will make the base roster.

Dixie doesn't seem hard to implement though, why would she have to be DLC? I'll be glad she's in at all regardless, but still.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Dixie doesn't seem hard to implement though, why would she have to be DLC? I'll be glad she's in at all regardless, but still.

Every character takes time. Dixie might have just been lower priority and didn't quite make the cut for base roster.

3 minutes ago, Florete said:

Every character takes time. Dixie might have just been lower priority and didn't quite make the cut for base roster.

Weird. I'd have thought she'd be higher priority than K. Rool at least, due to a lot more recency relevance to their series on top of being requested kind of a lot.

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Weird. I'd have thought she'd be higher priority than K. Rool at least, due to a lot more recency relevance to their series on top of being requested kind of a lot.

K. Rool has literally been the second most requested character after Ridley since Melee. Dixie was in Tropical Freeze, but K. Rool was the main antagonist for the first 3 games of the Country series and DK64.

There's an argument for Dixie in general, but not really one for her over K. Rool aside from "She's been in a game more recently".

Edited by Slumber

19 minutes ago, Florete said:

About that.

Hide contents

IC95XqA.jpg

See.s pretty hypocritical to say fuck leakers and then leak something. I think they were trying to make a point of any one can guess something and have 70% of it happen to be true. Maybe...

9 minutes ago, Slumber said:

K. Rool has literally been the second most requested character after Ridley since Melee. Dixie was in Tropical Freeze, but K. Rool was the main antagonist for the first 3 games of the Country series and DK64.

There's an argument for Dixie in general, but not really one for her over K. Rool aside from "She's been in a game more recently".

Make the "dead" villain who hasn't appeared in his own series in years have more priority than a consistently playable character who is also highly requested and still continues to appear in her series. Right. Makes a LOT of sense. I'm not arguing against K. Rool's inclusion, I'm just confused at why he would be in and Dixie still wouldn't be.

Sakurai deeply confuses me here.

Edited by Anacybele

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Make the dead villain who hasn't appeared in his own series in years have more priority than a consistently playable character who is also highly requested and still continues to appear in her series. Right. Makes a LOT of sense. I'm not arguing against K. Rool's inclusion, I'm just confused at why he would be in and Dixie still wouldn't be.

Sakurai deeply confuses me here.

I see you ignored a good chunk of what I said. Cool.

Do I need to remind you that Dixie was MIA for longer than K. Rool was prior to Tropical Freeze? Dixie was outright shelved in DK64 for her big sister. "Continues to appear in her series" is very generous for a character who disappeared from the main series for 17 years.

Edited by Slumber

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

I see you ignored a good chunk of what I said. Cool.

Do I need to remind you that Dixie was MIA for longer than K. Rool was prior to Tropical Freeze? Dixie was outright shelved in DK64 for her little sister. "Continues to appear in her series" is very generous for a character who disappeared from the main series for 17 years.

...Except I didn't ignore it? That was my response to it.

Dixie was MIA, sure, but she was at least brought back and is highly requested, like I said. She also wouldn't be hard to implement and Sakurai had EVEN PLANNED FOR HER TO BE IN BRAWL. So for him to just forget her like this feels like an insult to Dixie fans too.

36 minutes ago, Florete said:

About that.

Reveal hidden contents

IC95XqA.jpg

The 4chan post makes no sense, because Nintendo lost the Custom Robo trademark in mid-2016. If there was ever serious consideration put towards using a character from it, they likely would've renewed the trademark (since development began not long before it was terminated).

And this is probably a bit of personal bias, but with how massive it was before and currently is (even getting a Hunter int MVCI despite the series' producer shooting down any representation in MVC3) and the fact it's already got it's foot in the door, I'd say a Monster Hunter is among the safer guesses for DLC.

Keep in mind that the Bajo-Kazooie tweet from Phil Spencer was likely a calculated move. If they don't get in, everyone will blame Nintendo. If they do get in, everyone will praise Microsoft, Nintendo will do all the work, and Microsoft gets money from Nintendo for an IP that they haven't done anything with for years.

As for the leak, I think the revelation that the supposed leaker no longer works at Marina might be pretty telling. Someone could very well have looked up the name of an advertising company that works with BN to make the fake seem more credible, then just looked around for the name of someone who could feasibly have been responsible for the leak and chosen the guy's name, not knowing that the guy had left and not bothered to update his profile. Definitely seems like a believable slip up.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

...Except I didn't ignore it? That was my response to it.

Dixie was MIA, sure, but she was at least brought back and is highly requested, like I said. She also wouldn't be hard to implement and Sakurai had EVEN PLANNED FOR HER TO BE IN BRAWL. So for him to just forget her like this feels like an insult to Dixie fans too.

You did. Well, sort of. You shifted from "Why would they choose K. Rool over Dixie when she's so requested" to "Well, why didn't they choose her over K. Rool when she's also requested", so you obviously saw what I said, you just didn't care.

She was brought back for one game, after straight up being replaced the last time she was even mentioned before Tropical Freeze.

Planning for something doesn't mean following through on it, and your melodramatic conclusion that he "forgot" is laughable. It's even more laughable in the context of this conversation, when, by Brawl, she would have been gone for longer than K. Rool. Priorities have shifted since Brawl, and Sakurai has explicitly stated that he's looking at fan input for choices for Ultimate.

It's not exclusively the case, but it was explicitly the case with K. Rool. Sakurai obviously wanted another DK representative, and he went with the one the fanbase has consistently wanted for over 15 years to the point where him getting "confirmed" was a meme in every release since Brawl.

Edited by Slumber

4 minutes ago, Slumber said:

She was brought back for one game, after straight up being replaced the last time she was even mentioned before Tropical Freeze.

I assume you mean DK64, but she's had playable appearances between that and Tropical Freeze, such as the Mario Baseball and Donkey Konga games.

2 minutes ago, Florete said:

I assume you mean DK64, but she's had playable appearances between that and Tropical Freeze, such as the Mario Baseball and Donkey Konga games.

K. Rool has also been playable in those releases(Well, for Sluggers, not the original Mario Baseball).

I'm sticking with mainline DK games.

Edited by Slumber

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

K. Rool has also been playable in those releases.

I'm sticking with mainline DK games.

"Last time she was even mentioned" didn't sound like mainline DK games only, and is wrong either way, since she makes non-playable appearances in mainline games.

I'm not here to argue whether she deserved to get in before K. Rool, just making sure it's known that she's had appearances, playable and not, throughout the years.

Man, if that leak is accurate, then I'll have only gotten one (Daisy) of my top 5 most-wanted newcomers (others are Crash Bandicoot, Lyn, Ephraim, a Zelda character [Kass would be awesome and no I'm not kidding, but Impa or Skull Kid would be cool too]). These are the same characters (sans Kass) I've been wanting for years and multiple Smash games...can my wish EVER be granted? :( Hopefully DLC can bring in at least Lyn...