Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

22 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Try it for yourself in Smash 4, it takes advantage of how the final smash waves behind and above him before he strikes. 

It's soooo laggy though. Can't just lob it around when both of you are onstage.

It combos out of Holy Water and cross.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, Ashen Jedi said:

It combos out of Holy Water and cross.

Ha, yeah like how PK Fire true combos into PK Thunder 2, right. What You can get out of those moves is up to the victim, not Simon. But I am anticipating good things for edgeguarding with the axe. You can angle the lob.

35 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Ha, yeah like how PK Fire true combos into PK Thunder 2, right. What You can get out of those moves is up to the victim, not Simon. But I am anticipating good things for edgeguarding with the axe. You can angle the lob.

I mean, comparing Cross to PK Fire is kind of silly and the also Holy Water doesn't work like pk fire lmao, but I keep forgetting you're a jackass so I dno why I bother.

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

I only hung around on the Warriors forum here for a while after finishing the game, so maybe my knowledge is limited, but I remember that idea was common enough that I was deterred from making a thread about it myself. It seems glaringly obvious considering that's sort of what they did with half the rosters being clones, they just didn't go far enough witht he idea.

I'm the opposite, I hung around from game announcement to release. When I finished the game I came back to nothing but DLC Season 1, Season 2, and the Sequel character line up speculations. It's all about those characters, at the end of the day. No game to go with it. As for my class based moveset ideas, people were abhorred at the idea of clones particularly before and after E3's showcase.  Where the one clone we knew about was Lucina and nobody seemed to be sure on the Rowan/Lianna situation as I recall - with many claiming that Lianna has faster attack animations. Later clone situations like Leo/Elise, the Pegasus Knight trio, Marth/Celica, and Takumi/Sakura absolutely did cause a racket, but never as large as the character choices themselves. 

1 minute ago, Ashen Jedi said:

I mean, comparing Cross to PK Fire is kind of silly and the also Holy Water doesn't work like pk fire lmao, but I keep forgetting you're a jackass so I dno why I bother.

Whoa, that took a turn. What did you think I even said to provoke that?

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I'm the opposite, I hung around from game announcement to release. When I finished the game I came back to nothing but DLC Season 1, Season 2, and the Sequel character line up speculations. It's all about those characters, at the end of the day. No game to go with it. As for my class based moveset ideas, people were abhorred at the idea of clones particularly before and after E3's showcase.  Where the one clone we knew about was Lucina and nobody seemed to be sure on the Rowan/Lianna situation as I recall - with many claiming that Lianna has faster attack animations. Later clone situations like Leo/Elise, the Pegasus Knight trio, Marth/Celica, and Takumi/Sakura absolutely did cause a racket, but never as large as the character choices themselves. 

I will never understand why anyone would oppose class template clones for any FE spinoff, including Smash. It is the perfect way to represent the series, as that it how the series itself actually works.

Yeah, really. That escalated quickly. 

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

But I am anticipating good things for edgeguarding with the axe. You can angle the lob.

Same, I suspect it's going to feel like a really heavy Yoshi egg throw, and the cross like a really heavy Link boomerang. Holy Water seemed to me about as slow as Arcfire and the Mii Gunner fire thing too, so there's definitely a necessity for spacing on all of them. I wonder if a recovering Simon/Richter can manage to throw an axe out without losing lateral momentum (which they can't afford to lose), as a means of preventing being edgeguarded against. Throwing the Gale Boomerang as Link in Wii U would make him stop moving laterally, but it was a decent way to catch greedy players sometimes.

Do we know if Roy's English voiced yet?

I've seen people saying he is, people saying he isn't, and I keep seeing links to this one video on Twitter made by someone who seems to be a Lucario player.

The audio in it is so cluttered that it's hard to be sure. Has anyone actually been to an event themselves and tried Roy or seen him,  seen a clear video, or can be sure it's Ray Chase's voice in that one video?

Edited by Arcphoenix

1 hour ago, Arcphoenix said:

Do we know if Roy's English voiced yet?

I've seen people saying he is, people saying he isn't, and I keep seeing links to this one video on Twitter made by someone who seems to be a Lucario player.

The audio in it is so cluttered that it's hard to be sure. Has anyone actually been to an event themselves and tried Roy or seen him,  seen a clear video, or can be sure it's Ray Chase's voice in that one video?

That's literally all we have to go on as far as video proof at the moment, though I've seen people claiming that they heard it more clearly on a stream of the Spanish version.

For what it's worth, we know for a fact that in the Japanese version Roy's lines are completely carried over from Smash 4. And from what we can hear there, there are grunts in that video that sound sorta like Roy (hotblooded yells) but not like any of the other characters shown or on the roster.

7 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Your dismissive and presumptuous wording in your prior post probably had something to do with it; but I think it probably stems from other things you could easily guess. 

Edited by The DanMan

46 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Your dismissive and presumptuous wording in your prior post probably had something to do with it; but I think it probably stems from other things you could easily guess. 

The reaction to it was still pretty rude and unprofessional, particularly given his station.

Anyone know if Cloud is dubbed in this game, or if he’s still speaking Japanese?

1 hour ago, Zangetsu said:

Interesting how our poll has the most controversial character being the most popular choice

Never listen to the people that shout. Polling is the only way to find the true opinion of the masses.

Edited by Jotari

3 hours ago, Water Mage said:

I used to think that Peach had one of the weakest Final Smashes, but seeing some videos of the tournament in Spain made me realize that Peach’s/Daisy’s Final Smash is incredibly OP.

Peach's final smash is automatically one of the best because unlike most it can actually hit things. At least, compared to the final smashes in the past two games, not sure how easy the new "get to the point ones" are.

14 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Things I could easily guess, hm? Well I'm a bit out of sorts on what to do about this situation. Usually when people on this forum don't like something I've said, they complain about some twisted version of it on another forum in hopes that I don't also frequent that place. How'd that go for you, by the way? Frankly, you are THE LAST person to be dishing out advice on etiquette. And don't take my casual response as forgiveness for the things you've said about and to me. It is the breaking point of irony that you would call me "petty" after all your bizarre stunts and buzzing around my posts waiting for some kind of slip up. Like my posts have to be held to some kind of elevated standard. Speaking of...

13 hours ago, Dai said:

The reaction to it was still pretty rude and unprofessional, particularly given his station.

I don't care about that either. This is definitely not the first, second, or third time a red user on this site called me something reprehensible then gave me silence in place of an apology, or just threatening a ban. But the truth is, words mean so much to me. And if if my comments seem to always be delivered in the veil of a joke or seem disingenuous, it's just my attempt at avoiding these exact scenarios. This time though, I'm asking for an apology @Ashen Jedi. I am so sick and tired of letting these people go so they can preserve their egos of never being wrong. Preserving this lie that every interaction involves one person who's right and one person who's wrong. Apologies are not grand gestures, they're human responses to human mistakes.

*snip*

I’m assuming you may have thought I was harping on you for reacting to Jedi? No, I was voicing my displeasure about his behavior, which is ill befitting someone of that station.

43 minutes ago, Dai said:

I’m assuming you may have thought I was harping on you for reacting to Jedi? No, I was voicing my displeasure about his behavior, which is ill befitting someone of that station.

I understood as much, and was mostly responding @The DanMan. I'm also saying I don't care about stations. Not when the stakes of such conversations are so incredibly small. It's part of why it bugs me so much. How high was the gravity of our discussion that it warrants name calling? 

6 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Things I could easily guess, hm? Well I'm a bit out of sorts on what to do about this situation. Usually when people on this forum don't like something I've said, they complain about some twisted version of it on another forum in hopes that I don't also frequent that place. How'd that go for you, by the way? Frankly, you are THE LAST person to be dishing out advice on etiquette. And don't take my casual response as forgiveness for the things you've said about and to me. It is the breaking point of irony that you would call me "petty" after all your bizarre stunts and buzzing around my posts waiting for some kind of slip up. Like my posts have to be held to some kind of elevated standard. Speaking of...

I don't care about that either. This is definitely not the first, second, or third time a red user on this site called me something reprehensible then gave me silence in place of an apology, or just threatening a ban. But the truth is, words mean so much to me. And if if my comments seem to always be delivered in the veil of a joke or seem disingenuous, it's just my attempt at avoiding these exact scenarios. This time though, I'm asking for an apology @Ashen Jedi. I am so sick and tired of letting these people go so they can preserve their egos of never being wrong. Preserving this lie that every interaction involves one person who's right and one person who's wrong. Apologies are not grand gestures, they're human responses to human mistakes.

I check and respond to this thread with some frequency, and am willing to call out/argue over what I find to be disagreeable. It's nothing personal-- you just happen to be a very smug and disagreeable individual.

Anyways, the entire point of the thread I posted in was in the title: "What's the most ridiculous Smash argument you've ever heard." And I find it hard to say I misrepresented or twisted anything you claimed:
https://smashboards.com/threads/what’s-the-most-ridiculous-smash-argument-you’ve-ever-heard.459082/
"I could rag on the Geno overhyping or asinine "too many swords" argument, but I once saw someone spinoff from the latter into there being "too many human characters".

...Of course, the originator of that string of debates was arguing whether or not Persona had a shot at getting into Smash (it's Sega's biggest international franchise aside from Sonic and has been around for two decades, while also covering the entirety of SMT for "legacy" if you must)."

And here's what you've said in this thread:

On 8/23/2018 at 8:42 PM, Glennstavos said:

I can definitely empathize with being upset over the overuse of Anime With a Sword characters. That's been my major critique of Smash 4's roster additions. Too many humans, and too many humans with pointed sticks. We want to see new fighters that look as unique as they play.

On 8/6/2018 at 11:33 AM, Glennstavos said:

C'mon guys. Shoe in for an atlus rep is Jack Frost. Company Mascot, isn't some generic anime with a sword so he's easy to animate and build a unique moveset for, Appears in more games than the average smasher even if he was the protagonist of very few. Jack Frost is the protagonist of a game on the Virtual Boy. So get out of here with your "this guy cameod on this game for the 3DS" nonsense.

So please, tell me how I twisted or misrepresented anything you said. I hate being accused of things I didn't do, and am willing to argue over it; if you can point to something in my post where I misrepresented what you have stated here, I'll apologize.

But interestingly,  I presented detailed counterarguments to both of your claims in this thread... and both times you just walked away.
How ironic that a guy complaining about having a conversation left hanging with an insult is perfectly willing to only respond with snark and completely ignore any counterargument. I mean, after all:

I am so sick and tired of letting these people go so they can preserve their egos of never being wrong.

have every right to accuse you of this exact same behavior. 

Another dose of irony: that you're calling out someone as having a fragile ego when you're the one who tried to stir up shit again on a completely different site when I was merely going along with the topic goal, as well as further bring all of this up (funny that you'd accuse me of being obsessed with you when you decided to directly respond to my post and try to stir everything up again).

So... surely that qualifies as

the breaking point of irony

Also, zeroing in on this:

This is definitely not the first, second, or third time a red user on this site called me something reprehensible then gave me silence in place of an apology, or just threatening a ban

So wait, you've been repeatedly threatened by the mods/editors here? ...Not really helping your case. At all.

20 hours ago, Dai said:

Anyone know if Cloud is dubbed in this game, or if he’s still speaking Japanese?

I won't deny that outright calling him that was a bit too much.

Cloud isn't dubbed. The nitty-gritty of it is that Steve Burton is a live action actor of some renown with a ton of union stuff in the way of him doing voicework in Smash-- most specifically, a clause on his contract that mandates that he has to be credited in any work he's appeared in (which tidily closes the loophole of featuring union talent but not openly crediting them for it). SE has a decent enough relationship with him (he's back for VIIR, seemingly) and in general it's probably considered to be not worth it to recast him solely for one role.

13 hours ago, Jotari said:

Never listen to the people that shout. Polling is the only way to find the true opinion of the masses.

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Either way I wouldn't necessarily say polling is the truest facts (not that I would know what that is).

11 hours ago, Etheus said:

From where I'm standing, I hate Incineroar, but I also think that his moveset looks irresitibily fun.

I wanted Blaziken instead but I would be lying if I didn't say Incineroar didn't look interesting. Not to mention, I will never have any problems with more heavy weighs.

But my friend was so piss off that Blaziken didn't make the cut but Incineroar did. I felt really bad for the guy.

Thinking back on it, when the Direct showed "What happened on that fateful day?" (in reference to the first World of Light cutscene) I somehow thought Sakurai was going to explain why Mario tripped Yoshi in the original 64 commercial.

Thinking back on another thing, waaaaaaaaay back during E3 2013, I thought that Wii Fit Trainer, as an unexpected silly character, would be better suited as free DLC or something similar so people wouldn't think she took a "slot" from another character. It seems like a dumb way of thinking in hindsight, but apparently Sakurai agreed with me because Piranha Plant, Ultimate's unexpected silly character, is free DLC for early adopters. Granted, Piranha Plant was probably meant for the base game but wasn't finished in time, but I still find it strangely prophetic.

36 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Either way I wouldn't necessarily say polling is the truest facts (not that I would know what that is).

I wanted Blaziken instead but I would be lying if I didn't say Incineroar didn't look interesting. Not to mention, I will never have any problems with more heavy weighs.

But my friend was so piss off that Blaziken didn't make the cut but Incineroar did. I felt really bad for the guy.

No, I was being sincere. Asking every individual what they think is a much better gauge of how a large number of people feel compared to putting them all in a room and seeing who can shout the loudest. That's why we elect our leaders via democracy.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

Cloud isn't dubbed. The nitty-gritty of it is that Steve Burton is a live action actor of some renown with a ton of union stuff in the way of him doing voicework in Smash-- most specifically, a clause on his contract that mandates that he has to be credited in any work he's appeared in (which tidily closes the loophole of featuring union talent but not openly crediting them for it). SE has a decent enough relationship with him (he's back for VIIR, seemingly) and in general it's probably considered to be not worth it to recast him solely for one role.

That’s disappointing. I’d love to see how WoL handles him, if there is more than one or two cutscenes.