What are your predictions for FE Switch?

Guest Dreamyboi

19 hours ago, domilea said:

This part gets really hypothetical. But I'm guessing at dual lords again

I'm aware this isn't a popular mindset, but I low-key wish we could have dual lords and an Avatar in the same game eventually.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, redtutel said:

I'm aware this isn't a popular mindset, but I low-key wish we could have dual lords and an Avatar in the same game eventually.

I wouldn't mind that but I feel they like the duality bond between the (player) and other important character but another character wouldn't hurt.

21 hours ago, domilea said:

It's hard to separate what I want from FE16 from what I expect FE16 to be. I'd like to believe my desires are realistic, but...  

Anyway. Here are 10 things I'm expecting from FE16:  

MECHANICS

1. Freeroaming. Ever since the scrapped ideas for Fire Emblem Wii (the one that was supposed to come after Radiant Dawn), the devs have clearly been hung up on the idea of non-grid based, non-turn restricted movement. Fates' My Castle was one such example; the dungeons in SoV are another. So I'm guessing the towns and/or dungeons to be like this again. Maybe they'll go full-out and make the world map a part of this, too?
  2. Turn mulligans. Mila's Turnwheel in SoV, Light's Blessings in FEH; it'll go by another name, but it'll definitely make a return for FE16. Hopefully in a less abuseable format. 
  3. Fatigue. Or, if not exactly that, something similar. Either a plot-related development or an actual mechanic that forces the player to switch out the units they used on the previous map. They brought it back in an insignificant manner for SoV, but it's worth noting that even FEH has modes where your units are "force-fatigued", namely, the Assault modes. 
  4. An "Ironman" gauntlet. By this, I refer to not just FEH's Tempest Trials/Chain Challenges, but also Thabes Labyrinth and the Tower of Valni/Lagdou Ruins. An area where you're forced to move through several consecutive maps/floors of increasing difficulty; and if you flee, you cannot resume from the map/floor you left off from. This would probably be a postgame area, but I imagine they'll include another one of these "challenges" in FE16, too.

AESTHETICS

1. Detailed clothing/hair/other textures. This much seems obvious. They've already stated in interviews that characters are going to be proportional, with smooth animations, after all. With the Switch's serious graphical improvements over the 3DS, it's doubtless that FE16 is going to be the most visually-appealing game in the franchise to date. The OST is going to be gorgeous too, probably.
  2. Voice acting. As a snappy way of endearing the cast to the player, the start-of-turn quotes are going to return. I'd expect a lot of the dialogue to be voiced, too. I can see them not voicing the support dialogue, though, as a matter of saving on file space and budget; and I'd be okay with that, I think.
  3. More of a personal wish than a prediction, but I'm hoping for a fresh artist behind the character designs. I appreciate Kozaki's talent, but I don't want FE as a franchise to ever get too attached to one artist. I love the fact that FE so far has changed artists with each console generation. It gives each gen its own distinct feel.

PLOT/THEMES

1. This part gets really hypothetical. But I'm guessing at dual lords again. Not just because of Alm/Celica; there's also Alfonse/Sharena and Rowan/Lianna, and also minor things like the fact that the two newest classes of skills in Cipher are both geared around pairs of lords (Hero Skills and Twin Skills). 
    • It's possible that all the spinoff works (Smash, TMS#FE, Warriors, Heroes) have hammered it in to the devs that there are too many sword lords. If so, perhaps we'll get two lords, neither of whom wield swords...? 
  2. Related to Cipher, the keyword, "Infinity"; and, if we give that one rumour any credit (and perhaps we shouldn't), "Elegy of the Brave" / "soldiers passing away". Someone else on the forums has suggested that this could mean reincarnation as a central theme, and I was thinking about that, myself. Between the multiple worlds/time-travelling that Awakening introduced, to the "what if things had been different? Buy the other routes to find out!" Fates loved to shove in our faces... FE has kind of been inching towards that "reincarnating star-crossed lovers" trope so common elsewhere in fantasy for a while now.
    • It works for Cipher. Make a new set of skills that activate from getting sent to the Retreat, or else manipulate the Retreat somehow. Bam. Synergizes as a splash for certain other decks, and also flavourfully reenacts themes from the core game. But I digress...
    • If there are two lords, assuming they share a bond of some sort, I expect them to come into conflict with each other. But rather than the cutscenes we got with, say, Alm and Celica, or the FE7 trio + Ninian, I'm thinking - or hoping, rather - that the conflict between these two lords are acted out through playable chaptersI'm thinking, of course, of Radiant Dawn's Ike v. Micaiah chapters, except this time, the two lords aren't so impersonal with each other. The lords can thus end up "killing" (or killing) each other, with the "reincarnation" theme somehow tying into all this. It could be the second game in the franchise where there are multiple lords, but where the lords do not join forces at the endgame... but this time, there's a route split instead of a generational gap.  
    • Reincarnation ties easily into two other mechanics: the already-mentioned turn mulligan mechanic is one. The other mechanic? Memory prisms. 
  3. This is a Fire Emblem game... but it'd be nice if, for once, the plot instigator wasn't going insane, or didn't have an innate desire to destroy all of humanity....

Detail is great, and a lot of it I am inclined to agree with.

1. Freeroaming will be in some sort of fashion, perhaps in Lunatic mode they might limit the scope of it as to make it challenging. If they are gonna leech an idea, I sort of prefer if they do what they did with SoV, perhaps mix in a bit of PoR in terms of talking with random NPC/PC's
2. Mila's Turnwheel was nice, but I hope they don't fully bring it back, in some aspects I think I'd prefer a battle save, perhaps how many you have access to comes into play with the difficulty (like none at all with Lunatic).

3. Hope they don't bring back Fatigue lol, rather then a fatigue system, a reward system that encourages using all the units would be preferable (or if your like me, I grind them all up, even if I don't ever use them, NO ONE IS LEFT BEHIND)

4. Always expect the postgame, cant see why they won't do something this time around too

5. Mechanics wise, I think they wont use Pair Up this time, they will look for something new, or go back to the old school and focus super high animation for single combat.

Aesthetics 1-3, pretty much 100% spot on and agree with, Just no more Loli dragons, Children from Fates and Awakening aside, who are suppose to be children and that of their age, its just been done, over and over again, if anything I'd prefer to see PoR and RD Laguz and characters done in that fashion.

1. Dual lords or single lord is fine, though I just hope the Avatar/MU character is just a support nobody, sorta like FE12.

2. Not sure I can say anything, no expertise in Cipher, but I can see your points

3. Yes, and no, Yes in that I would love it if the bad guy was actually shooting to an end goal of his own choosing and not one that involves being a puppet of a dragon, no in that I wouldn't mind if the bad guy was a little looney, so long as he succeeded, could you imagine a FE Game that had a Kefka level opponent in it? Would not only be an excellent story, but would make for one final battle, and good post story of fixing up the end of the world.

Edited by MyBoyHector

1 hour ago, MyBoyHector said:

Detail is great, and a lot of it I am inclined to agree with.

1. Freeroaming will be in some sort of fashion, perhaps in Lunatic mode they might limit the scope of it as to make it challenging. If they are gonna leech an idea, I sort of prefer if they do what they did with SoV, perhaps mix in a bit of PoR in terms of talking with random NPC/PC's
2. Mila's Turnwheel was nice, but I hope they don't fully bring it back, in some aspects I think I'd prefer a battle save, perhaps how many you have access to comes into play with the difficulty (like none at all with Lunatic).

3. Hope they don't bring back Fatigue lol, rather then a fatigue system, a reward system that encourages using all the units would be preferable (or if your like me, I grind them all up, even if I don't ever use them, NO ONE IS LEFT BEHIND)

4. Always expect the postgame, cant see why they won't do something this time around too

5. Mechanics wise, I think they wont use Pair Up this time, they will look for something new, or go back to the old school and focus super high animation for single combat.

Aesthetics 1-3, pretty much 100% spot on and agree with, Just no more Loli dragons, Children from Fates and Awakening aside, who are suppose to be children and that of their age, its just been done, over and over again, if anything I'd prefer to see PoR and RD Laguz and characters done in that fashion.

1. Dual lords or single lord is fine, though I just hope the Avatar/MU character is just a support nobody, sorta like FE12.

2. Not sure I can say anything, no expertise in Cipher, but I can see your points

3. Yes, and no, Yes in that I would love it if the bad guy was actually shooting to an end goal of his own choosing and not one that involves being a puppet of a dragon, no in that I wouldn't mind if the bad guy was a little looney, so long as he succeeded, could you imagine a FE Game that had a Kefka level opponent in it? Would not only be an excellent story, but would make for one final battle, and good post story of fixing up the end of the world.

No one wants another Kris(there's a reason he's forgotten)....I rather be important than just be awkwardly there for no reason....

I don't see them taking out Pair-up no reason to especially how more balance it is and benefits ie Support points, stat boosts, +mov.

Loli dragon are gonna happen like it or not.

That was kind of funny, I actually had to look up "Kris" on the Fire Emblem Wikia before I finally figured out who you were talking about lol, never knew FE12's Default MU's name.

Problem with Avatar's being the main character is that they are always done incorrectly, Robin interferes with Chrom's story way too much and Corrin... Well.... Do I even have to explain about Corrin, Fates just massively dropped the ball on that one.

Nothing against he Pair Up System, but with a new system, and a new game, they are going to try something new or different. I won't be surprised to see Pair Up remain a 3DS thing. Besides SoV, though a remake, still had some original features, and could of implemented Pair Up, but didn't, already shows they don't mind not using it, if they like to.

Loli dragon are gonna happen like it or not.

Yeah your most likely right, but one can dare to dream. Still, a Loli Lethe or Tibarn wouldn't be bad either. (Just don't have a 2nd gen).

Overall I sorta expect to see more of a return to PoR/RD, since its a Console and all, and not a handheld.

9 hours ago, MyBoyHector said:

That was kind of funny, I actually had to look up "Kris" on the Fire Emblem Wikia before I finally figured out who you were talking about lol, never knew FE12's Default MU's name.

Problem with Avatar's being the main character is that they are always done incorrectly, Robin interferes with Chrom's story way too much and Corrin... Well.... Do I even have to explain about Corrin, Fates just massively dropped the ball on that one.

Nothing against he Pair Up System, but with a new system, and a new game, they are going to try something new or different. I won't be surprised to see Pair Up remain a 3DS thing. Besides SoV, though a remake, still had some original features, and could of implemented Pair Up, but didn't, already shows they don't mind not using it, if they like to.

Yeah your most likely right, but one can dare to dream. Still, a Loli Lethe or Tibarn wouldn't be bad either. (Just don't have a 2nd gen).

Overall I sorta expect to see more of a return to PoR/RD, since its a Console and all, and not a handheld.

Robin didn't interfere at all...the Plegia arc was most entirely focused on Chrom, Valm arc was mixed most lean to Chrom more with some to Robin with learning his backstory, Grima arc of course obviously was Robin focused for a good reason with of course Lucina and Chrom. Of course Lucina was sprinkled now and again more focused in the Grima Arc. Corrin was fine since they were the Lord and most have default personalities like any other character so its not the fault of the concept just the writer behind them as a character(if people dislike it that is).

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

Oh, something else I forgot to add:

No matter what happens, I expect there to be a great deal of salt, not just over artstyle and character designs, but also over major gameplay changes, if the game is really going to be as "completely different" as I think it is.

Guest Dreamyboi
2 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Oh, something else I forgot to add:

No matter what happens, I expect there to be a great deal of salt, not just over artstyle and character designs, but also over major gameplay changes, if the game is really going to be as "completely different" as I think it is.

Oh yeah, people will get salty no matter what happens.

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

I'd have an actual idea if they actually showed us anything, can't make any predictions without substance.

Yeah. The best we can do right now is to look at the most recent projects and to try to discern IS's mindset from that; which is why so much of my "prediction" post was just listing the features IS has been experimenting with lately (freeroaming, turn mulligans, fatigue). But it's quite possible for IS to head in a totally different direction.

On 4/4/2018 at 11:17 AM, Blade Lord Lyn said:

MECHANICS

1. Freeroaming. Ever since the scrapped ideas for Fire Emblem Wii (the one that was supposed to come after Radiant Dawn), the devs have clearly been hung up on the idea of non-grid based, non-turn restricted movement. Fates' My Castle was one such example; the dungeons in SoV are another. So I'm guessing the towns and/or dungeons to be like this again. Maybe they'll go full-out and make the world map a part of this, too?

If you take the original Gaiden town exploration / MyCastle 2d style and make it 3D like the SoV Dungeons that could give a natural way to incorporate some free roam into the game, but it would be kinda reliant on a World Map system. You'd have towns on the world map you could enter to shop / do quests / progress story and between towns (or perhaps on newly discovered ones) you would have combat.

1 hour ago, InvisibleMan said:

If you take the original Gaiden town exploration / MyCastle 2d style and make it 3D like the SoV Dungeons that could give a natural way to incorporate some free roam into the game, but it would be kinda reliant on a World Map system. You'd have towns on the world map you could enter to shop / do quests / progress story and between towns (or perhaps on newly discovered ones) you would have combat.

True a world map system could be incorporated to have both it would be a big task but could be worth it in the long run.

6 hours ago, domilea said:

Yeah. The best we can do right now is to look at the most recent projects and to try to discern IS's mindset from that; which is why so much of my "prediction" post was just listing the features IS has been experimenting with lately (freeroaming, turn mulligans, fatigue). But it's quite possible for IS to head in a totally different direction.

Fair, its nice to have hopes and expectations, but FE's been kinda weird when it leaps to a new console so i'm honestly not sure what to expect besides the Avatar system probably being back.

Guest Dreamyboi

One thing I'm definitely expecting is DLC shenanigans and after Echoes and Fates my hopes aren't too high.

It's one thing to have optional exp/money grinding but locking away story elements and unique map conditions that could have been implemented into the base game is no good. Keeping the Gaiden remake the way it was with it's old, bad map design while the DLC maps have an iota of actual imagination behind them was pretty scummy.

Rich worldbuilding. IS learned a lot from Fates's mistakes and the Valentia Accordion can back this up
Kirokan, Vincent and others are working hard to translate the stuff in it. Be sure to check it out: https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/82917-valentia-accordion-translation-project-thread/&page=6&tab=comments#comment-5183038

Guest Dreamyboi
1 hour ago, silveraura25 said:

Rich worldbuilding. IS learned a lot from Fates's mistakes and the Valentia Accordion can back this up
Kirokan, Vincent and others are working hard to translate the stuff in it. Be sure to check it out: https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/82917-valentia-accordion-translation-project-thread/&page=6&tab=comments#comment-5183038

Valentia Accordion? What's that?

Edited by Dreamyboi

27 minutes ago, Dreamyboi said:

Valentia Accordion? What's that?

An artbook with loads of details about the world and characters of SoV that just got released and two of SF's finest are translating. Includes an 8-part timeline and Nuibaba profile saying she got scarred, dumped for her sister by her boyfriend afterwards, and then shoved off a cliff, thus leading to her rage and becoming a Witch.

Guest Dreamyboi
5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

An artbook with loads of details about the world and characters of SoV that just got released and two of SF's finest are translating. Includes an 8-part timeline and Nuibaba profile saying she got scarred, dumped for her sister by her boyfriend afterwards, and then shoved off a cliff, thus leading to her rage and becoming a Witch.

So WHY wasn't this stuff included in the main game? and why hasn't it gotten an English release?

1 minute ago, Dreamyboi said:

So WHY wasn't this stuff included in the main game? and why hasn't it gotten an English release?

Time constraints?  A lot of stuff gets cut from games for this reason.

Or it could just be an afterthought on the devs' part.

Guest Dreamyboi
13 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Time constraints?  A lot of stuff gets cut from games for this reason.

Or it could just be an afterthought on the devs' part.

That would explain the two cinematic bits we see in the opening that never once play in the game. Makes sense.

Edited by Dreamyboi

Guest Dreamyboi
2 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

Anyway, it's nice to hear that they've learned from Fates' criticism. I was pretty worried that they were only paying attention to profit. 

Here's hoping we get something satisfying out of the next title.

Edited by Dreamyboi

Personally, I hope Reclassing is either dropped or at least cut back a bit, while options are always nice, after a while, characters sort of lose what makes them unique. I hope though for sakes of replay ability they do something like RD where extra supports/characters/etc become available.

22 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

I actually wonder if this proves that or disproves it. We know that Fates had three large scripts that were cut up so they would fit into the game, but we don't know how much the IS writers cut up. We also know that they added a some extra world building into the DLC which makes me believe that it was either and afterthought, or other parts of that original script IS didn't think was important enough to be included in the main game. There is also going to be a Fates artbook similar to this one so we will see how much world building actually exists for that game, but I'm assuming that a lot of it is actually going to be like some of the stuff for this one; things they created after the game was released because they hadn't noticed (or didn't assume we would notice) some plotholes and extra bits of trivia. The problem with them creating things after the games released is that it means that world building is pretty much at the bottom of their list of priorities with the games. I do think that Echoes is a step in he right direction and love the work the translators are doing with the art book, but I don't think we can use it as evidence of anything in my opinion.