New Legendary Hero: Lyn, Lady of the Wind

Poimagic

I think we've really started to reach a saturation point with alts.  I love Lyn, and I wasn't even excited when I saw she had gotten another alt.  She doesn't even look any different than her Brave Heroes form.

I'll probably pull a bit of green to see if I get lucky, but I won't be whaling for this one.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, after seeing the front page of this site with a "Too many Lyns" post, I feel like I'm the only person who isn't bothered by this, and I think everyone else is overreacting

28 minutes ago, Johann said:

Man, after seeing the front page of this site with a "Too many Lyns" post, I feel like I'm the only person who isn't bothered by this, and I think everyone else is overreacting

I'm not bothered by it either, but I'd chalk that up to seeing this coming. Which is rather funny in a way, since I used to not be able to stand Lyn and barely after I've grown to be OK with her do people start turning on her.

2 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

I'm not bothered by it either, but I'd chalk that up to seeing this coming. Which is rather funny in a way, since I used to not be able to stand Lyn and barely after I've grown to be OK with her do people start turning on her.

Yeah, I think she's boring at worst but that's about it. Either way, people are gonna get over it or forget, so whatever

Everyone saying that the trailer has more dislikes then likes can now stop there are double the likes then dislikes now, just an FYI.  I did send feedback about there being too many alts again (I have done so before), but it looks like the people complaining are not the majority this time unlike with the whole Ayra thing.  

Hey guys, I hear that IS is going to release a new original character named Lynn in the next big content patch. 

She'll be a nomadic swordswoman who sometimes uses a bow and she has uh... Teal hair. 

23 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

Everyone saying that the trailer has more dislikes then likes can now stop there are double the likes then dislikes now, just an FYI.  I did send feedback about there being too many alts again (I have done so before), but it looks like the people complaining are not the majority this time unlike with the whole Ayra thing.  

I think they are referring to the Japanese trailer. The English trailer also performed worse now compared to before.

On 4/27/2018 at 10:41 AM, XRay said:

Here are the like:dislike ratios and percentages for the following Foci videos:

Lady of the Wind (JPN): 602:467
Like: ~56.31% (602/1,069)
Dislike: ~43.69% (467/1,069)
Lady of the Wind (ENG): 3.8K:1.3K
Like: ~74.51% (~3,800/5,100)
Dislike: ~25.49% (~1,300/5,100)

Here are the ratios for today:

Lady of the Wind (JPN): 818:925
Like: ~46.93% (818/1,743)
Dislike: ~53.07% (925/1,743)
Lady of the Wind (ENG): 4.6K:2K
Like: ~69.70% (~4,600/6,600)
Dislike: ~30.30% (~2,000/6,600)

I think it is strange for the Japanese video to reach close to 2,000 votes, so I think it is highly likely that some of the viewers are using secondary accounts to increase the dislikes.

Due to the irregular increase in number of votes, I think the voting ratios a few days ago is more reflective of the fan base's mood.

Edited by XRay

17 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Hey guys, I hear that IS is going to release a new original character named Lynn in the next big content patch. 

She'll be a nomadic swordswoman who sometimes uses a bow and she has uh... Teal hair. 

That was so funny I forgot to laugh. Also I don’t recall you ever being interested in Heroes. Are you here just to troll? Get outta here. :P

Though really it’s really tiring how many people are still bitching about this. I get that not everyone is thrilled about Lyn but like everyone should have made their peace a couple days ago. Dragging on this negativity is just annoying.

1 minute ago, SilvertheShadow said:

That was so funny I forgot to laugh. Also I don’t recall you ever being interested in Heroes. Are you here just to troll? Get outta here. :P

Though really it’s really tiring how many people are still bitching about this. I get that not everyone is thrilled about Lyn but like everyone should have made their peace a couple days ago. Dragging on this negativity is just annoying.

I only come for the memes. By and large my interest in Heroes is very casual, checking up here and there.

I like Lyn, just wanted to poke fun.

7 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

I can agree with you. I am not thrilled about her, but saying it once is more than enough. 

3 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

I get that not everyone is thrilled about Lyn but like everyone should have made their peace a couple days ago. Dragging on this negativity is just annoying.

Just now, Michelaar said:

I can agree with you. I am not thrilled about her, but saying it once is more than enough. 

While I do not agree with their views on alts, I think they should capitalize on this momentum and keep the negativity around for as long as possible. Even though I think it is might be a bit unethical to tamper with the YouTube like:dislike ratio using secondary accounts, this is their best chance to get the developers to notice their plight.

I think most players are indifferent to alts, so having more or less alts does not bother us. I also do not think there is a significant pro alt faction in the fan base who wants alts in every Focus, so I do not think we need to consider their views. While I think the anti alt faction is a minority, there seems to be a significant number of them, so having a compromise with them does not hurt to keep them happy.

17 minutes ago, XRay said:

While I do not agree with their views on alts, I think they should capitalize on this momentum and keep the negativity around for as long as possible. Even though I think it is might be a bit unethical to tamper with the YouTube like:dislike ratio using secondary accounts, this is their best chance to get the developers to notice their plight.

I think most players are indifferent to alts, so having more or less alts does not bother us. I also do not think there is a significant pro alt faction in the fan base who wants alts in every Focus, so I do not think we need to consider their views. While I think the anti alt faction is a minority, there seems to be a significant number of them, so having a compromise with them does not hurt to keep them happy.

You do have a point, but i'd like to keep the community as untoxic as possible.

9 hours ago, Othin said:

How they take it will depend on which future videos also get that kind of treatment.

"Stop doing alts on non-seasonal banners" is probably unrealistic. It'd also be particularly difficult to get across to them, because it'd require downvoting every trailer, and that dilutes the message. A more realistic message is "we're sick of getting the same character as an alt too many times".

I would like to think it is even that second option but it seems much more like "We are sick of a non Awakening/Fates character getting more than one alt".  Cause people are asking for a 7th Robin (grandmaster), even despite the gender/Grima thing hardly anyone has complained overall reaction very positive.  4th Chrom did that have as much a negative reaction as the 4th Lyn (LA)? Nope.  Not even close.  

Not counting CYL, the only non Awakening/Fates character to have more than one alt is Lyn.  I guess this is some terrible crime.  I just hate that all these people are disliking the vid and then when 5th Lucina, or 7th Robin comes out they will upvote it like crazy.  I mean talk about hypocrisy.  They shouldn't act like it is about too many alts, it is about Lyn getting too many alts.  They should just be honest about it.  We don't want old characters getting too many alts. 

All this will do for the playerbase as a whole, is likely direct IS to go back to releasing only Awakening/Fates alts.  Not less alts.  Not even toning down multiple alts for popular characters (if from Fates/Awakening.  So if anything will make the situation worse not better.  

12 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

I actually feel a little bad for Lyn. She's not my favorite character, but it seems like she's the unfortunate focus of the alt hatred rather than her herself being hated.

at some point you are just fed up seeing the same constant character return, and in this regard it also starts hurting the char. I liked Lyn alot, but now i just roll my eyes whenever i see a banner with her to the point where i am starting to dislike the character

9 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

I actually feel a little bad for Lyn. She's not my favorite character, but it seems like she's the unfortunate focus of the alt hatred rather than her herself being hated.

Yeah, I think this sums it up well.

If Lyn didn’t appear in Love Abounds and this was her latest addition, then the negativity would be significantly more subdued. At worst I’d imagine most saying “Meh. It’s Lyn with an arrow again”. The timing was not planned the best here.

17 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

I would like to think it is even that second option but it seems much more like "We are sick of a non Awakening/Fates character getting more than one alt".  Cause people are asking for a 7th Robin (grandmaster), even despite the gender/Grima thing hardly anyone has complained overall reaction very positive.  4th Chrom did that have as much a negative reaction as the 4th Lyn (LA)? Nope.  Not even close.  

Not counting CYL, the only non Awakening/Fates character to have more than one alt is Lyn.  I guess this is some terrible crime.  I just hate that all these people are disliking the vid and then when 5th Lucina, or 7th Robin comes out they will upvote it like crazy.  I mean talk about hypocrisy.  They shouldn't act like it is about too many alts, it is about Lyn getting too many alts.  They should just be honest about it.  We don't want old characters getting too many alts. 

All this will do for the playerbase as a whole, is likely direct IS to go back to releasing only Awakening/Fates alts.  Not less alts.  Not even toning down multiple alts for popular characters (if from Fates/Awakening.  So if anything will make the situation worse not better.  

The solution to that is to downvote those Awakening/Fates alts as well. If enough people do it, they'll notice.

7 minutes ago, Othin said:

The solution to that is to downvote those Awakening/Fates alts as well. If enough people do it, they'll notice.

Sure, they might notice. Whether they'll actually care is another matter entirely. So long as their bottom line remains unscathed, they more than likely won't.

1 minute ago, Tybrosion said:

Sure, they might notice. Whether they'll actually care is another matter entirely. So long as their bottom line remains unscathed, they more than likely won't.

No, it's more complicated than that. They don't want their bottom line to get hit at all, they'd rather detect things that are likely to hurt their bottom line in the future and veer away from them before it happens. Especially when it comes to character choices, because they have to pick characters like six months in advance. They do NOT want to get into a situation where their bottom line starts falling and it takes six months to start fixing it. They want to do what they can to create an excited and engaged playerbase, not one that's any more frustrated than the gacha model necessitates.

23 minutes ago, Othin said:

The problem is most of the playerbase is overwhelmingly biased towards fates/awakening.  These people who are bashing Lyn for her 5th version all day long will be praising Lucina's 5th version.  The disgusting part is that they act like no character should have that many versions.  When really it is no non Fates/Awakening character should have that many versions.  They should at least admit the truth.

1 minute ago, Othin said:

No, it's more complicated than that. They don't want their bottom line to get hit at all, they'd rather detect things that are likely to hurt their bottom line in the future and veer away from them before it happens. Especially when it comes to character choices, because they have to pick characters like six months in advance. They do NOT want to get into a situation where their bottom line starts falling and it takes six months to start fixing it. They want to do what they can to create an excited and engaged playerbase, not one that's any more frustrated than the gacha model necessitates.

Despite how upset some people are, this isn't going to negatively affect them. Youtube Likes/Dislikes are an extremely poor metric because 1) they represent an extremely small percentage of the playerbase, 2) they're exploitable, and 3) there can be any number of reasons why someone would like or dislike a video. They care more about Views than Likes or Dislikes, because it tells them that either more people are aware of what's being added, or people are rewatching for whatever reason, both suggesting an interest, leading to potential orb buying. These things aren't going to change their business model.

Look, I get that you and some others are upset about this, but you're going to get over it because it's not a big deal, and that'll become more apparent as time goes on.

22 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

The problem is most of the playerbase is overwhelmingly biased towards fates/awakening.  These people who are bashing Lyn for her 5th version all day long will be praising Lucina's 5th version.  The disgusting part is that they act like no character should have that many versions.  When really it is no non Fates/Awakening character should have that many versions.  They should at least admit the truth.

How about we hold off on talk like this until Lucina (or a different Awakening/Fates character) hits four alts and see if the outcry is anything like what Lyn is currently getting? As things stand now, I'm positive this has nothing to do with Lyn being pre-3DS but everything to do with people not approving off any character having this many versions, regardless of their game of origin. And if it isn't that, then it's people just simply getting tired of having the same character (again their game of origin having no bearing on anything) being plopped down in front of their faces.

13 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

I really, really want to see where those people are because the sea of salt I've been looking at the past few days I haven't found them even once. 

The anti-alt faction will complain about every non-seasonal alt (they bashed Hinoka so there's no Fates bias there and they also bashed F!Grima so no Awakening bias either). I like to call them out on that because for me that's a shitty double standard. I know my views of all or none are a tad extremist but I just can't stand those that will bash one yet defend/ignore the other when both types are alts and going by their flawed logic both of them take the spots from new characters.

Of course there's people that will be happy when a character they like gets an alt and complain about every other one but that doesn't put them in a "AwakeFates vs old games" mindset, it's just that their faves come from those 2 games just like someone that loves Blazing Blade and Lyn will be happy for this new one yet bash other alts like Grima/Chrom/Eirika/Ephraim/Ike. Those people are hypocrites yes, but them being so isn't some sort of conspiracy that AwakeFates shall rule above the old FE games or anything like that.

Are they on You Tube comments? If so, they shouldn't be taken seriously at all. Those are mostly trolls that are looking to trigger people but they are not representative of the anti-alt faction nor those who are neutral to them.

1 hour ago, Lewyn said:

I'm not sure what community's comments you've been looking at. LA Lyn had a pretty quiet reception for being a 4th alt in dedicated FE communities like here, with many people openly happy about and/or defending her having so many alts. Robin more uniquely gets viewed by a lot of people in a more divided way between genders/Grima, so that's seemed to help prevent some backlash there. You might disagree with that view and just say Robin has the most alts and should be the worst offender, but it doesn't matter if the majority don't seem to see it that way. However, it seems a 5th Lyn merely 2 months after the 4th came along is enough for even some of the neutral crowd and part of her fanbase to be annoyed. Not to mention she's visually barely different in design than her CYL variant (once again having a bow and almost the same outfit again as CYL) which probably doesn't help.

Also did you not see the utter moaning at even the idea of Camilla or Tharja getting more alts out of CYL2, despite they had as many as or less than Lyn to begin with? I don't really see why you're finding Lyn's situation to be a vendetta against older characters, as I've seen plenty of whining over 3DS characters and their alts by older players in the past year. Granted, IS's policy of 3DS-only seasonal banners the whole time helped facilitate that so I can understand it. I haven't seen anything of the same against older characters though, with Lyn even getting more of a pass for her alts seemingly because she's an older character. I personally don't mind alts, within reason, but similarly to you I don't like double standards. However if there is one I've mainly seen it in the opposite direction of what you're stating it is.

The only old character getting an alt that actually seemed to cause some real ire before now was Eirika. And that was because 1) she got an alt in on a regular banner, starting a pattern with Zelgius some disliked, 2) it's both not a natural class pick for her and she's using the tome of a character that some felt could have been in her spot on the banner, 3) it was literally during the week of CYL2 voting where she was at a competitive placing to possibly get a CYL alt and some thought it sabotaged her or even took away the point of getting CYL alt. (Hinoka also just got similar gripes as you probably saw, but Eirika's was worse for happening at a more volatile time.)

Edited by Alkaid