Quote Translations for the Three Lords From FE Cipher

I haven't seen this posted on this forum yet (feel free to delete if it has), but translations have come out for the Cipher cards featuring the three main lords.

Edelgard: "A wise ruler shouldn't take one's words purely at face value"

Dimitri: "I've no desire to be accused of seeing only subtext in what others say."

Claude: "Oh, how innocent - how naive - these two seem next to me, shiftiness incarnate!"

The quotes are... surprisingly darker than I anticipated? They all seem to connect to the ideas of lies and deception. Not to mention, Claude's character appears to be taken a very different direction that what I expected. Not only that, one of his skills is "Scheme Beneath a Smile". I know that the Famitsu blurb stated that Claude was more perceptive than he seemed, but these almost paint him in a sinister light. Although, all these undertones could be due to a lack of context, so it's entirely possible I'm misreading these entirely. Either way, it appears our upside-down archer boy will be some kind of trickster character.

So what do you guys think about these quotes? Did they give you a better idea of what the lords will be like, or did they just bring up new questions?

Pretty interesting. The three quotes actually make a conversation. Edelgard says that you should read into what people REALLY mean when they speak as people aren't trustworthy, while Dimitri disagrees and says that he doesn't want to be thought of as conniving, because that would mean that HE wouldn't seem trustworthy. Claude meanwhile is laughing off in the corner, because he's been portrayed as a character who plays a fool while being fiercely intelligent (meaning nothing he says can be taken at face value and he can't be trusted) and who is extremely perceptive (meaning he takes nothing anyone else says at face value and doesn't trust others). 

Feels like that these quotes suggest that the three lords don’t like/trust each other  and I’d assume that means the three countries of Fodlan don’t get along that well.

The fact that the lords seem to have trust issues and seems pretty intelligent makes me wonder how much we can believe what they say to us in the game. 

Also why is Claude giving me sociopathic vibes.

Those are surprisingly two dimensional quotes to be put on cards of characters we know next to nothing about. Especially Claude's.

So Edelgard is the patronizing one, Dimitri is earnest with good manners but a short temper, and Claude is... the Joker?

Edited by Cysx

Dimitri is far more polite than the other two.

I wonder if this is their personal philosophies speaking.  Suddenly Claude is even more interesting.

These are some nice quotes, although I can't help but just take Claude's line as a joke. I do hope there's some general tension between the leaders so they don't start out as the best of friends immediately (they'll inevitably end up that way though, won't they?). 

This kind of makes me more excited for the game. I know that a few lines like these can be taken out of context or misrepresent things just like a regular trailer can, but still.

These are all rather interesting honestly. Like others have said, I hope this means that maybe the main three don't have the best relationship because if that is the case it will be very interesting to see how they develop.

I wouldn't say Dimitri is the naive one, but I'm surprised he's not as much of an edgelord as his appearance suggests. I assumed he'd be the cynical/snarky one, and Claude would be happy-go-lucky. Instead we have a scheming, plotting Claude and a kind-hearted Dimitri. Interesting. Maybe I'm just too used to the "cynical blonde boy" trope we've seen with Leo in Fates and Kliff in SoV.

Based off what we've seen so far, the characters are very three-dimensional, which makes me excited.

Very interesting.

Edelgard sounds very on guard, somewhat cautious from other nobles even? Makes sense since she's the future empress.

Dimitri sounds like he's going to be the fairly honest no nonsense kind of guy. I expect someone to make use of his naivety.

Claude sounds...dark. I expect him to betray us or at least work against us in some way without us knowing.

Of course this is all just based on those few short lines. It's all up in the air what could happen.